PDA

View Full Version : Non-Kosher Shofars?

Tajiah
Jul 24th 2008, 01:52 AM
I have a quick question....

My honey and I were talking today, and he mentioned that he had read somewhere that shofars that are painted, or otherwise decorated, are no longer kosher.

I tried to do a search on it, since Pallu can't remember exactly where he read it, and he said there weren't any scripture references given for it either. I found a site that sells them, and they had some shofars that were inlaid with silver....they said that they were not kosher, and for decorative use only.

So basically I'm asking for a class on this subject....thanks!

seamus414
Jul 24th 2008, 12:33 PM

My honey and I were talking today, and he mentioned that he had read somewhere that shofars that are painted, or otherwise decorated, are no longer kosher.

I tried to do a search on it, since Pallu can't remember exactly where he read it, and he said there weren't any scripture references given for it either. I found a site that sells them, and they had some shofars that were inlaid with silver....they said that they were not kosher, and for decorative use only.

I assume you are asking this question in the context of Jewish law and not in the context of Christianity. As Christians not only does not it matter what your shofars are like, you do not need them at all!

To answer your question: the term kosher only applies to food items and the dietary law of the Torah. Therefore, by definition, a shofar cannot be kosher or not kosher.

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 24th 2008, 03:01 PM
Ok, here's my stand on this.
I have pondered this much and long and hard.

While there are certainly some things that scripturally speaking are not mandated or detailed, i believe in order not to strife with the Jews whom we might desire to witness to and make jealous, we should try to not be repulsive. If they want us to have kosher shofars, then so be it, big deal it's not that hard to ensure they can at least feel we are not trampling upon their religion.

The same goes for me anymore about the eating of a hamburger with cheese.

By that i'm not being legalist, but rather i'm being respectful, considerate and compassionate.

There are however some things i feel they are certainly going overboard with, such as tzitzit only being for men.
The tefillin issue as well as the mezzuzah is something i'm still working out. I believe those commands were to be applied rather spiritually and physically only in line with walking after the Spirit.

What good does a box with scriptures inside one cannot see or read do sitting at the door frame? I could see that acting as a reminder, but how much more powerful would it be to read the actual words and take a minute to dwell on it each time?
Something committed to memory may not be utilized when it becomes a routine thing day in day out. Gotta live out the Spirit in the flesh.

Anyways.. my thoughts and conclusion which still may evolve...

Shalom,
Tanja

keck553
Jul 24th 2008, 05:29 PM
First of all, you have to define "Kosher" because the Jewish sages built fences around God's instructions and added a pile of yoke to it.

Rabbinically Kosher is probably biblicly Kosher, but biblically Kosher is not always rabbinicaly Kosher. The bottom line is who cares what the rabbi's say? They're just people who mess up God's Word as effeciently as Christian Pastors.

It's what God says that matters. :)

keck553
Jul 24th 2008, 05:32 PM
The same goes for me anymore about the eating of a hamburger with cheese.

Shalom,
Tanja

Tanja, I read that scripture about boiling the kid in it's mother's milk as an lesson in mercy, not about eating dairy with meat. The sages messed that one up, I'm, afraid.

As for the rest of it, Noah knew what biblicaly kosher food was, so pinning it all on the 'judgemental mean God of Moses" is disingenuous.

Take care

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 24th 2008, 05:48 PM
Keck,

I realize that, but still why cause a Jewish brother or sister to stumble? It's not a huge deal to avoid eating milk and meat products separately. We can still minister to them in deed and explain things at the right time.

What i have learned though is that milk is something that sustains life and meat is something dead, so in essence eating a hamburger one would be eating life and death LOL.

Shalom,
Tanja

keck553
Jul 24th 2008, 06:35 PM
I totally agree with you..:)

Interesting analogy you brought up! I like that. But what about lettuce on pastrami? :)

Here's another one: Are mushrooms biblically kosher? LOL

What causes a lot of stumbling among Jews is almost 2000 years of persecution in the name of thier own Messiah. Howeveer Messiaic Jews are making great progress spreading the Gospel in Israel.

Have you ever witnessed an observent Jew 'finding' Yeshua? I'm here to tell you it is an incredibly awesome and very emotional event to witness.

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 24th 2008, 08:45 PM
Pastrami is meat and lettuce is a plant, no problem at all.
Mushrooms from what i understand have spores which are a type of seed, and therefore kosher.

Not quite, but let's say this, my husband is a Jew who didn't know it until i joined a messianic Jewish congregation due to where the Holy Spirit had led my via studies and understanding of the scriptures, and his mother finding what congregation we now were attending told him.
So in a way i know, and i'm here to lead my husband/Jew to messiah.

Can you imagine the thrill i felt?

Shalom,
Tanja

keck553
Jul 24th 2008, 10:35 PM
See, I get a little confused because fungus and mold comes from spores and we know mold and fungus is not biblically kosher.

I still tend to the the kid in the milk is a teaching of God's mercy....but again what's the harm in separating milk and pot roast? I hear you about the stumbling block.

The person I was referring to who accepted Yeshua as her Messiah was an 80 year old Jewish woman. She had tatoos on her arms, identification numbers put there by the Nazi's. She loved the Father with all her heart, soul and strength all her life, a love I rarely see in beleivers. She went to the congregation I sent you the link to one night because her grandson invited her to share a Shavout feast. The entire congregation loved her and began visiting her in her home, witnessing and sharing the Gospel in the way only a Jew can understand it. Yeshua came to her through all these folks. One day she came to the congregation and said she knew the Messiah of Israel and all the world was indeed Yeshua. She had an endless stream of the tears of repentance, the sadness of Who she had rejected - and missed a relationship with - all her life, mixed in with this incredible joy that Her Savior had touched her, redeemed her, healed the pain in her heart, and forgave her. I think Yeshua Himself wept that day in joy for His newly found lost sheep. Her testimony is incredible; I can't tell you what a powerful witness she is.

I may be able to help you with some Jewish apologetics materials to help you with your husband. I am praying in the name of the Yeshua HaMaschiach that God's will be done; that your husband will accept Yeshua as his Messiah.

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 24th 2008, 11:04 PM
I may be able to help you with some Jewish apologetics materials to help you with your husband. I am praying in the name of the Yeshua HaMaschiach that God's will be done; that your husband will accept Yeshua as his Messiah.Thank you for your prayers. It means a lot. I'm not sure whether to call my husband a believer or not. On one had i see God having done some marvelous work in him, though my husband may not have done this because he knows the scriptures, and desired to follow Him. I'm not even so sure He truly believes in Yeshua. Though he may be at the very beginning of his walk.

My husband was not brought up Jewish at all, but rather really secular, and lived that way. As did i to my shame.

But it appears to me that the way i understand scriptures now and the way i try and follow seems to stir something in him.

Hmm about the fungus ans spores.. i'm not 100 % convinced either way. But i like mushrooms. Ah well if i find it's wrong i'll stop.

I love your story about that woman's testimony. AWESOME!!!

Shalom,
Tanja

seamus414
Jul 25th 2008, 09:02 PM

I looked it up. If following Jewish law, a shofar may not be painted. It can be engraved but not painted.

keck553
Jul 25th 2008, 10:14 PM
oh well, who would want to paint a Ram's horn anyway?

keck553
Jul 25th 2008, 10:21 PM
Thank you for your prayers. It means a lot. I'm not sure whether to call my husband a believer or not. On one had i see God having done some marvelous work in him, though my husband may not have done this because he knows the scriptures, and desired to follow Him. I'm not even so sure He truly believes in Yeshua. Though he may be at the very beginning of his walk.

My husband was not brought up Jewish at all, but rather really secular, and lived that way. As did i to my shame.

But it appears to me that the way i understand scriptures now and the way i try and follow seems to stir something in him.

Hmm about the fungus ans spores.. i'm not 100 % convinced either way. But i like mushrooms. Ah well if i find it's wrong i'll stop.

Shalom,
Tanja

I understand. Thanks. I was a heathen too for much of my life. Many times I wonder who prayed for me that I never knew!

You keep praying to God! Intercessory prayer is indeed powerful, as Job learned after much hardship and Yeshua taught us in the Gospel of John (see - I found something that points to Yeshua in Job!!!). The Lord is working through you diligently to reach your husband. Stay persistant! He is faithful. How much more will heaven rejoice on the day He receives Messiah when you trust His will be done!

I think a lot of people are praying for your husband!!

Clifton
Jul 26th 2008, 03:37 AM
The same goes for me anymore about the eating of a hamburger with cheese.I did not know the Bible said anything about
cutting the cheese... http://clifton-hodges.com/images/scratch.gif

Blessings. :kiss:

ProjectPeter
Jul 26th 2008, 04:19 PM
Since this is not a Jewish forum I don't suppose we need to worry about Jewish kosher this and that.