PDA

View Full Version : Sinners rebuffing Christians

Uncle Bud
Jul 25th 2008, 04:53 PM
Why doesn't God kill people who tell Christians "No, I'm not interested" ?

9Marksfan
Jul 25th 2008, 04:59 PM
Because He is a patient and a gracious God and one day they may be converted - but be sure of this - if they refuse to repent, they will regret their disinterest for all eternity......

moonglow
Jul 25th 2008, 05:05 PM

Alot of us Christians would be dead then...I mean just because someone isn't interested at first doesn't mean they won't be later. Why would you think God would need to kill them anyway? That isn't how He works...

God bless

Uncle Bud
Jul 25th 2008, 05:08 PM
Alot of us Christians would be dead then...I mean just because someone isn't interested at first doesn't mean they won't be later. Why would you think God would need to kill them anyway? That isn't how He works...

God bless

What do you think of this story?

BY: S.B. Shaw

"I AM IN THE FLAMES -- PULL ME OUT, PULL ME OUT!"

Mr. W____, the subject of this narrative, died in J____, New York, about the year 1883, at the age of seventy-four. He was an avowed infidel. He was a good neighbor in some respects, yet he was very wicked and made a scoff of Christianity. About seven years previous to his death he passed through a revival. The Spirit strove with him, but he resisted to the last. One Sabbath after this, Mr. N -, who relates this sketch, was on his way to church and passed Mr. W 's house, who was standing by the gate. He said, "Come with me to church, Mr. W____." The infidel, holding out his hand, replied, "Show me a hair on the palm of my hand and I will show you a Christian." During his last sickness, Mr. N called on him often and sat up with him several nights, and was with him when he died. The infidel was conscious of his near approaching end and of the terrors of his lost condition. He said once to Mr. N____, who, as a local worker, held meetings in school houses around, "Warn the world not to live as I have lived, and escape my woe." At another time when visited by a doctor, he was groaning and making demonstrations of great agony. The doctor said, "Why do you groan, your disease is not painful?" "O, doctor," said he, "it is not the body but the soul that troubles me." On the evening of his death, Mr. N -came at ten o'clock. A friend of his was there also. As he entered the room he felt that it was filled with an awful presence as if he were near the region of the damned. The dying man cried out, "O God, deliver me from that awful pit!" It was not a penitential prayer, but the wail of a lost soul. About fifteen minutes before his death, which was at twelve, he exclaimed, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" He kept repeating this until the breath left his body. As the bodily strength failed his words became more faint. At last Mr. N___ put his ear down close to catch his departing whispers, and the last words he could hear were, "Pull me out, pull me out!" "It was an awful scene," said he. "It made an impression on me that I can never forget. I never want to witness such a scene again." I was talking with my friend years after, and he said those words, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" were still ringing in his ears. -- Written for this book by Rev. C. A. Balch, Cloverville, N. Y.

moonglow
Jul 25th 2008, 05:33 PM
What do you think of this story?

BY: S.B. Shaw

"I AM IN THE FLAMES -- PULL ME OUT, PULL ME OUT!"

Mr. W____, the subject of this narrative, died in J____, New York, about the year 1883, at the age of seventy-four. He was an avowed infidel. He was a good neighbor in some respects, yet he was very wicked and made a scoff of Christianity. About seven years previous to his death he passed through a revival. The Spirit strove with him, but he resisted to the last. One Sabbath after this, Mr. N -, who relates this sketch, was on his way to church and passed Mr. W 's house, who was standing by the gate. He said, "Come with me to church, Mr. W____." The infidel, holding out his hand, replied, "Show me a hair on the palm of my hand and I will show you a Christian." During his last sickness, Mr. N called on him often and sat up with him several nights, and was with him when he died. The infidel was conscious of his near approaching end and of the terrors of his lost condition. He said once to Mr. N____, who, as a local worker, held meetings in school houses around, "Warn the world not to live as I have lived, and escape my woe." At another time when visited by a doctor, he was groaning and making demonstrations of great agony. The doctor said, "Why do you groan, your disease is not painful?" "O, doctor," said he, "it is not the body but the soul that troubles me." On the evening of his death, Mr. N -came at ten o'clock. A friend of his was there also. As he entered the room he felt that it was filled with an awful presence as if he were near the region of the damned. The dying man cried out, "O God, deliver me from that awful pit!" It was not a penitential prayer, but the wail of a lost soul. About fifteen minutes before his death, which was at twelve, he exclaimed, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" He kept repeating this until the breath left his body. As the bodily strength failed his words became more faint. At last Mr. N___ put his ear down close to catch his departing whispers, and the last words he could hear were, "Pull me out, pull me out!" "It was an awful scene," said he. "It made an impression on me that I can never forget. I never want to witness such a scene again." I was talking with my friend years after, and he said those words, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" were still ringing in his ears. -- Written for this book by Rev. C. A. Balch, Cloverville, N. Y.

Sounds like a man being convicted of his sins! Also seems rather strange he wouldn't call on the Lord as I am sure he was told he could do. Even in the thoes of death a person can be saved. So why didn't he?

I can also match a couple of bible verses to this too:

Psalm 30:3
O LORD, You brought my soul up from the grave;You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Luke 16:22-24
22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

God bless

Literalist-Luke
Jul 25th 2008, 07:22 PM
Why doesn't God kill people who tell Christians "No, I'm not interested" ?He does. Just not in our time. Everybody dies.

Athanasius
Jul 26th 2008, 04:16 AM

Well, He would have had to of killed Adam and Eve and then... No one else after them.

DadBurnett
Jul 28th 2008, 08:14 AM
Well, He would have had to of killed Adam and Eve and then... No one else after them.
Great answer! Thanks.

MD101
Jul 28th 2008, 10:30 AM

Just to pick up on this, Christianity wasn't in existence when Adam and Eve were around. Christianity was created after Jesus.

I know what you mean, though.

Joe King
Jul 29th 2008, 05:27 PM
Ezekiel 18:32
For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

We choose to seperate from God. I will not make that choice.

Sherrie
Jul 29th 2008, 05:56 PM

God bless

I was about to post almost the same thing! Here lately we have been on the same wave length.

Gilligan; We are dead when we are not saved. When we do not accept Christ as our Saviour; we are not safe from an eternity of death.

God loves us. Jesus Christ paid the price of our sins, because He does loves us. He wants us to have a right relationship with Him. He does not want us to die. He wants us to live with Him in an eternal life.

He wants us to know Him and seek Him. He wants us to trust Him. He wants us to have a personal relationship with him. He wants us to repent of our sins. He wants us to run safely to Him.

We all at one time or another have run short of the Glory of God, and had to repent. We had to trust God, and know His mercy and grace is right and just.

SpokenFor
Aug 2nd 2008, 03:06 PM

Perhaps another question should be, "Why doesn't God kill people the instant they become Christians?" Should save a lot on backsliding that way.

Gilligan, at what age would you have these people killed? Until we become Christians we reject Christ continuously. Should a person who became a Christian at age 50 have been killed by God at age 30? Praise God, He is so merciful. Eleven years ago I made a conscious decision on a very specific day to turn my back on God and follow my own ways after having grown up in a Christian family and having first asked Jesus into my heart at age 5. Should God have killed me then? No! He still loved me and kept reminding my heart of this throughout those eleven years of willful disobedience. Then, about three months ago, he reached down and pulled me out of the pit of hell one day while I was sitting at my computer. Now in that time between my turning away and God saving me..I came close to death several times. God could have killed me but he LOVES me so much. So much that it is MIND BLOWING!

Diggindeeper
Aug 2nd 2008, 03:40 PM
Here's why God "puts up with us" over and over and over....

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Marc B
Aug 2nd 2008, 03:50 PM
Similar situation here as well. God lets us get ourselves into trouble in this manner to learn lessons of what you get for not following His way of life and following your own heart instead. It's all part of the 6000 years of mankind's self rule that God has allowed so we may collectively learn that a peaceful, prosperous life in this world is impossible without God.

DoctorZOomZoOm
Aug 3rd 2008, 07:58 PM
The reason a lot of people get turned off to Christianity is the "turn and burn" scare tactics. I think in the long run, Christians scare more people away than win when they try to warn them about Hell. Christians need to try new stragedies. :D

moonglow
Aug 3rd 2008, 08:48 PM
The reason a lot of people get turned off to Christianity is the "turn and burn" scare tactics. I think in the long run, Christians scare more people away than win when they try to warn them about Hell. Christians need to try new stragedies. :D

Yea...there is a little bit more to the message then that..I agree...

God bless

MrAnteater
Aug 4th 2008, 09:05 PM
God is very patient with his people. We see that over and over in the scriptures. God will eventually judge the unsaved. Justice delayed is still justice!

The others here make some good points. I would never compromise the gospel to make it more "palatable" to the unbeliever, however, the order which we unfold the truth to them is critical. Starting out with "the wages of sin is death" is a harsh reality for most people to accept and not a good starting point.

I like to talk more about who God is, what he promises us as believers, and the freedom Christians have when we walk in truth and don't rely on worldly knowledge to live. I have been delivered from addiction in my life and so has many others when they came to Jesus. That is always a good example to use for unbelievers by showing them real world successes of the power of God. Getting them to know Jesus will plant a seed of faith in their life and eventually the holy spirit will work on changing their character and reveling truth to them including the judgments for unbelievers.

9Marksfan
Aug 5th 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm becoming a bit concerned about some posters' attitudes about "putting people off" - as if evangelising was some kind of marketing tool where we expect to get "sign ups" - it isn't. If it were, Jesus Himself would have been an utter "failure" - by the end of his life, ALL His disciples deserted Him (with only one at the cross reconsidering things before His actual death - John - and the four women). I look at it this way - we are by and large preaching to pagan Gentiles today - as Paul was in Acts 17 - what does he speak about? God's love and forgiveness? No - He speaks of God's work in creation and providence - and the fact that we are all accountable - He refers to Jesus' resurrection - but in the context of His being the judge of ALL mankind! He doesn't even mention the cross! I believe there is a HUGE amount we can learn from the apostle's "approach" to Gentiles. Why do I believe he mentioned judgment to these ignorant people? Here's why:-

"And when He [the Spirit] is come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness and of judgement" Jn 16:6 NKJV

Now if the Holy Spirit's first work in evangelism is to convict the world (ie everyone who hears the gospel - not just Christians) of sin, righteousness and judgement, then surely we need to speak of these things (as Paul did in Acts 24:25) as well. They form the groundwork for people to realise why it is so important that they are made right with God - how else are they going to be convicted of sin?!? The law has to come first, showing them their sin - and, yes, we must speak of the consequences - Jesus and the apostles always did - why should WE do things any differently?!?

I accept that an ungracious, self-righteous and judgemental APPROACH is always wrong, but the fact that we need to speak about Hell is not negated by the fact that some do so the wrong way.

One evangelist I knew put it this way:-

"I sometimes wish all Christians could be suspended over Hell for 30 seconds to see what it would do for their evangelism. We need to tell people what awaits them at death if they haven't trusted Christ - but we should never speak of Hell without tears in our eyes....."

Amen?

Uncle Bud
Aug 5th 2008, 01:19 PM
Didn't Jesus speak a lot about Hell ?

9Marksfan
Aug 5th 2008, 02:27 PM
Didn't Jesus speak a lot about Hell ?

Indeed - and more about it than Heaven! Only one subject He spoke about more than Hell - anyone like to have a stab at what it was?

turtledove
Aug 5th 2008, 03:55 PM
Indeed - and more about it than Heaven! Only one subject He spoke about more than Hell - anyone like to have a stab at what it was?

9Marks, not sure what you are asking for but the "Kingdom of God" comes to mind since it is throughout the gospels..and especially in the parables of Jesus.

Bless your day today.

owl :)

Betty Lou
Aug 5th 2008, 04:00 PM
I believe that Jesus did talk about Hell more then Heaven. I will have to look it up, but I have been told that.
Some people are turned off from Christianity, simply because they do not want to leave their sinful life behind.
Just look around all the new Churches that only preach feel good sermons and how packed their services are.
betty

9Marksfan
Aug 5th 2008, 08:44 PM
9Marks, not sure what you are asking for but the "Kingdom of God" comes to mind since it is throughout the gospels..and especially in the parables of Jesus.

Bless your day today.

owl :)

You know, you're right - I was going to say "money and possessions" but it IS the "Kingdom of God" - yet Jesus doesn't mean Heaven when He speaks about it - He's speaking about the two responses that the gospel brings - and how rejection can often look very like acceptance.....the Kingdom of God begins here and now - for all who name the name of Christ.

9Marksfan
Aug 5th 2008, 08:45 PM
I believe that Jesus did talk about Hell more then Heaven. I will have to look it up, but I have been told that.
Some people are turned off from Christianity, simply because they do not want to leave their sinful life behind.
Just look around all the new Churches that only preach feel good sermons and how packed their services are.
betty

Good post, Betty Lou - and good to have you on board! But I think rather than "some" it would be "most" if not "all".....??

Betty Lou
Aug 5th 2008, 09:47 PM
9Marksfan (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=22319),

Thank you. Sadly you are right. One of the biggest Churches in Houston, serves cotton candy sermons instead of the meat of the Gospel.:eek:
betty

9Marksfan
Aug 5th 2008, 10:43 PM
9Marksfan (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=22319),

Thank you. Sadly you are right. One of the biggest Churches in Houston, serves cotton candy sermons instead of the meat of the Gospel.:eek:
betty

I know the one you mean!

It's great to have another new member on the Forum that can discern truth from error - may the Lord bless you richly!

Nigel

Betty Lou
Aug 6th 2008, 01:08 AM
Mark,
Thank you and thanks for the friend invite and I added you to my list. You are my first friend here.:hug:
betty

turtledove
Aug 6th 2008, 01:00 PM
You know, you're right - I was going to say "money and possessions" but it IS the "Kingdom of God" - yet Jesus doesn't mean Heaven when He speaks about it - He's speaking about the two responses that the gospel brings - and how rejection can often look very like acceptance.....the Kingdom of God begins here and now - for all who name the name of Christ.

Yep, I agree, the "Kingdom" is here and hereafter. :)