PDA

View Full Version : Are you SURE you must pay as much tax as you can?

WELL
Jul 26th 2008, 04:44 AM
I'd like to know why, and which scripture you choose to use.
This is an interesting topic,and I hope there are many displaying both sides of the coin.

Ron Brown
Jul 26th 2008, 04:50 AM
Romans 13:6-7 "for because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor."

godsgirl
Jul 26th 2008, 11:00 AM
Not "as much as you can"-but as much as is required.

WELL
Jul 26th 2008, 11:11 PM
I'd say as little as you can!

WELL
Jul 28th 2008, 02:39 AM
Matt 17:
24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?

26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.

27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

The children are free, BUT only that we may not offend, we should pay taxes.

Brother Mark
Jul 28th 2008, 02:46 AM
Matt 17:
24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?

26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.

27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

The children are free, BUT only that we may not offend, we should pay taxes.

This was referring to the temple tax. The scripture in Romans, posted above, applies to government tax. Government has the right to tax. Like you, I prefer low taxes but we are obligated to pay.

Of course, in Jesus time, the Roman empire taxed non-romans and that was Jesus point about how the temple tax was not meant for the children. But to keep from offending those that were doing the taxing, Jesus paid the temple tax. The biggest lesson? It's better to pay taxes than to offend folks.

HisLeast
Jul 28th 2008, 03:02 AM
This is an interesting topic,and I hope there are many displaying both sides of the coin.

Good grief. There was a poster here a couple years back who was saying it was sinful to pay even a penny more than you were required, and that every Christian had a responsibility to understand the tax code in order to minimize their tax exposure.

Just funny to see the ups and downs over the years. :)

Diolectic
Jul 28th 2008, 03:24 AM
This is an interesting topic,and I hope there are many displaying both sides of the coin.There is no law that say one must pay "income tax". Watch here (http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&q=%22Freedom%20to%20Fascism%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#), here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CcHgHeraZI),
Read it here (http://www.truthusa.org/articles/irs/irs2004.htm) and here (http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/jsiegel/Personal/taxes/F2F.htm)

BadDog
Jul 28th 2008, 02:35 PM
This is an interesting topic,and I hope there are many displaying both sides of the coin.No. We are to render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's. IOW, we need to faithfully pay all of our owed taxes. Dishonesty in taxes is a temptation, and that is wrong. But just pay the government the minimum - what you owe.

BD