PDA

View Full Version : Unsaved people and no fear of Hell

Uncle Bud
Jul 28th 2008, 05:48 PM
If there is really an eternal Hell, why are so many unsaved people unafraid of it when near death? When someone had a close call with death, again, why the unconcern about eternity? This has caused me to seriously reconsider the doctrine after knowing "unsaved" people dying peacefully even after a prevoius close call with death.

SirTanTee
Jul 28th 2008, 05:58 PM
Because, as unbelievers, they do not believe hell exists. If they believed it existed, you can bet your shiny nickels that they would be running to Jesus. The key words in your statement are "if there is really an eternal Hell." Is there? Unbelievers say: probably not. Therefore, nothing to fuss over.

If they do not believe there is an afterlife, then there is no reason to be concerned about death because there's nothing after and there's nothing that can be done to change it. If they are of a religion like Hinduism, they believe there is no chance of eternal damnation or anything profoundly negative like that, so there is also little reason for concern.

Uncle Bud
Jul 28th 2008, 06:00 PM
Because, as unbelievers, they do not believe hell exists. If they believed it existed, you can bet your shiny nickels that they would be running to Jesus. The key words in your statement are "if there is really an eternal Hell." Is there? Unbelievers say: probably not. Therefore, nothing to fuss over.

If they do not believe there is an afterlife, then there is no reason to be concerned about death because there's nothing after and there's nothing that can be done to change it. If they are of a religion like Hinduism, they believe there is no chance of eternal damnation or anything profoundly negative like that, so there is also little reason for concern.

What about after seeing a "Holiness or Hell" sign on the back of a bicycle many times ?

Slug1
Jul 28th 2008, 06:09 PM
What about after seeing a "Holiness or Hell" sign on the back of a bicycle many times ?Same as you seeing an X-Files bumper sticker that says: The truth is out there.

You'd just blow it off, just as an unbeliever would blow your sign off.

Joe King
Jul 30th 2008, 04:27 AM
The problem I find with the unbelievers is their logic. If they truly believe that there is no afterlife and only right now, why do they bother to work a 9-5?

Perpetua
Jul 31st 2008, 01:52 PM
If there is really an eternal Hell, why are so many unsaved people unafraid of it when near death? When someone had a close call with death, again, why the unconcern about eternity? This has caused me to seriously reconsider the doctrine after knowing "unsaved" people dying peacefully even after a prevoius close call with death.

It's because their hearts have been so hardened, they deceive themselves to believe a lie, anything to deny the truth -- the full effects of sin in an unregenerate person. Unsaved people, by rejecting God's truth and the reality of God, consign themselves to the level of brute beasts without understanding. Since they are unregenerate and only understand the natural world (1 Corinthians 2:14), they end up living their lives like cows, never looking up but only down at the ground, wondering where their next meal is coming from. And since they have rejected God's revelation (back to Romans 1), God has given them over to their own depravity, and in such a state they are self-deluded.

On the other hand, I have read accounts of unbelievers and near-death experiences of hell. "Beyond Death's Door" by Maurice Rawlings, is an excellent look at near-death experiences at the time they occur. The writer, a cardiologist and unbeliever at the time (converted through these events), observed a few of his patients who briefly died and then were restored back to life, who had horrible experiences of terror and fear. Yet when he would talk to them even a few days later, they had no memory of what had happened, had completely blocked out the bad experiences; in some cases such individuals later became Christains, while others continued on in their unconcern.

moonglow
Jul 31st 2008, 02:34 PM

What doctrine? I don't know what doctrine you are talking about? A doctrine is a belief...a teaching. I don't know anyone that teaches unsaved people die peacefully. Have you witnessed unsaved people dying peacefully?

I also don't know what a bumper sticker has to do with anything either...:confused

God bless

Athanasius
Jul 31st 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm with Moonglow... I've watched unsaved people. I've likewise watched [truly] saved people die. There's a night and day difference. The former will scar you for life, the latter will make you pray you go the same way.

EarlyCall
Jul 31st 2008, 04:47 PM
There are two things at work here. The first is simply that no one comes to Jesus and thus a belief in eternal heaven and hell unless drawn by God. Period. Jesus said so.

Second, I have no fear of anything eternal as spoken of by the muslims because I consider their beleifs complete and utter nonsense. Likewise, I have no fear of returning to repeat any form of life over and over again because I consider reincarnation to be utter nonsense.

And so, someone not drawn to Christ by God has no inclination to be concerned. Why should they.

Uncle Bud
Aug 1st 2008, 04:48 PM
What doctrine? I don't know what doctrine you are talking about? A doctrine is a belief...a teaching. I don't know anyone that teaches unsaved people die peacefully. Have you witnessed unsaved people dying peacefully?

I also don't know what a bumper sticker has to do with anything either...:confused

God bless
The doctrine I'm referring to is eternal torment. I have not witnessed deathbed scenes myself, but a relative told me another relative who was "unsaved" died peacefully, no concern about eternity, even after a previous close call with death. The "bumper sticker" you were asking about was a large sign on the back of a bicycle that said "Holiness or Hell".

moonglow
Aug 1st 2008, 05:52 PM
The doctrine I'm referring to is eternal torment. I have not witnessed deathbed scenes myself, but a relative told me another relative who was "unsaved" died peacefully, no concern about eternity, even after a previous close call with death. The "bumper sticker" you were asking about was a large sign on the back of a bicycle that said "Holiness or Hell".

Ok well one unsaved person dying with no concerns..I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about that. As was pointed out not everyone believes there is any type of an afterlife..let along hell or heaven.

I don't know why you would be questioning whether there is a hell based on this. A dying person doesn't just suddenly 'know' there is a hell or a heaven..even if they had a close call with death before. I would also suspect the person in question that died peacefully was probably in a hospital on heavy medication...am I right?

I want you to watch this video on youtube of a man that crashed in an airplane and was severely burned and later 'died' in the hospital...he was obviously brought back to life...he is scarred from the burns....but that makes his testimony even more powerful: This man died...and returned..Heaven and Hell are real
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGpxfoF3SYg)
God bless

MD101
Aug 1st 2008, 05:56 PM
There are 6 billion people in the world. Im sure lots of them when they come to passing away die peacefully with no concern about heaven or hell.

Joe King
Aug 2nd 2008, 01:06 AM
There are 6 billion people in the world. Im sure lots of them when they come to passing away die peacefully with no concern about heaven or hell.

What happens afterward is another story:cry:

renthead188
Aug 2nd 2008, 05:26 AM
Lets now take a moment, each of us. Please join me in prayer for the lost.

HisLeast
Aug 2nd 2008, 06:09 AM
The problem I find with the unbelievers is their logic. If they truly believe that there is no afterlife and only right now, why do they bother to work a 9-5?

I understand where you're coming from... but even I can understand this one. They "obey the rules" or have a "moral code" because it increases the likelihood of a favorable tomorrow. If one doesn't work 9 -5, one can not earn money, and therefore one's "right now" becomes much more miserable.

Joe King
Aug 2nd 2008, 07:51 AM
I understand where you're coming from... but even I can understand this one. They "obey the rules" or have a "moral code" because it increases the likelihood of a favorable tomorrow. If one doesn't work 9 -5, one can not earn money, and therefore one's "right now" becomes much more miserable.

Tomorrow should not be a word in an atheist's vocabulary.

I just see this as evidence that God wrote eternity on all of our hearts like he said he did. That's the underlying reason why people follow codes of morality, feel guilt, dream of tomorrow. It's because God instilled it in us and we will have no excuse when the day of judgement comes.

EarlyCall
Aug 2nd 2008, 09:08 AM

I just see this as evidence that God wrote eternity on all of our hearts like he said he did. That's the underlying reason why people follow codes of morality, feel guilt, dream of tomorrow. It's because God instilled it in us and we will have no excuse when the day of judgement comes.

Perhaps, but then one might have some difficulty explaining the days of Noah.

HisLeast
Aug 2nd 2008, 12:48 PM

I don't understand why "tomorrow" should not be in an atheist's vocabulary. They have the same material motivations as all people. They want shelter, food, safety, comfort, satisfaction, and happiness. By not working (your example) or not following a basic moral code, they immediately endanger those goals.

Joe King
Aug 3rd 2008, 07:21 PM
Perhaps, but then one might have some difficulty explaining the days of Noah.

Not really when the devil is involved, same holds true today and sadly, maybe more evidently so.

Joe King
Aug 3rd 2008, 07:22 PM
I don't understand why "tomorrow" should not be in an atheist's vocabulary. They have the same material motivations as all people. They want shelter, food, safety, comfort, satisfaction, and happiness. By not working (your example) or not following a basic moral code, they immediately endanger those goals.

They perceive themselves as animals, why aren't they pursuing these things constantly with no rest?

HisLeast
Aug 3rd 2008, 10:01 PM
They perceive themselves as animals, why aren't they pursuing these things constantly with no rest?

But they also perceive themselves as having different motivations. The same material motivations as all people. They want shelter, food, safety, comfort, satisfaction, and happiness. By not working (your example) or not following a basic moral code, they immediately endanger those goals.

And some of them DO pursue those things constantly, and with no rest.

lendtay
Aug 5th 2008, 04:29 PM
I have been reading about NDEs (near death experiences) and its interesting that some people have them even when they register no brain activity.

I hope there is some consciousness after death. I can't stand the idea of just going to sleep forever and never waking up.

Christian dog love
Aug 9th 2008, 08:31 PM
well because many of them sadly beleive that there is NOTHING after this that you just are burried and that is it so unless that changes they won't be scared of Hell or looking foward to Heaven.

poochie
Aug 14th 2008, 10:21 PM

I was witnessing to a guy and he basically said that burning in hellfire would be cool.

moonglow
Aug 14th 2008, 10:25 PM
I was witnessing to a guy and he basically said that burning in hellfire would be cool.

oh brother...:rolleyes:

I had a guy say once he didn't want to go to Heaven because he thought it would be boring...

so burning is more exciting? :hmm: (actually I don't think anyone literal is burning). But still it isn't going to be good...

God bless

Mograce2U
Aug 15th 2008, 02:41 AM
I have been reading about NDEs (near death experiences) and its interesting that some people have them even when they register no brain activity.

I hope there is some consciousness after death. I can't stand the idea of just going to sleep forever and never waking up.There shouldn't be any puzzle about death since Jesus said that we will pass thru death into eternal life. This is what our hope in Him is.

(John 5:24 KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

(1 John 3:14 KJV) We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

livingwaters
Aug 15th 2008, 02:56 AM
We can only tell them about Jesus' Words. The Lord will take care of the rest. If they reject HIM, he'll reject them and they'll be cast into the burning lake of fire; if they accept HIM, he'll give them the gift of salvation!!!

If you come into contact with the same non-believers, just be adamant about the Word. If they ask questions, be prepared to answer, as the Word says.

God Bless.:hug: