PDA

View Full Version : Are you a heretic? Take the quiz.

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 03:00 PM
OK, in this poll we are really taking a heretic quiz! Here's the link:

http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=7096N

I've got to say that a few of the statements are not clear. But most will be amazed at their results. Now I am going to make it a poll - with all 42 statements here. (If the system will allow that many). You should select only that for which you believe the statement to be true. Trust me when I say that most should be false. :p

So, here are the statements. I'll post the expected "correct" responses, if I can ever respond such that I get a perfect score. (Haven't been able to figure it out yet - close - one off.)

1. Jesus was not really God incarnate, because God cannot indwell corrupted matter
2. Jesus' mind was divine, not merely human.
3. There is one God who exists as one person
4. Jesus was not eternally pre-existent, he was rather a deified man
5. Jesus is at once complete in Godhead and manhood
6. God exists in singular unity, there can be no human-divine union
7. Salvation will ultimately involve an escape from physical reality
8. Only God the Father is eternal, and he produced the Son out of nothing
9. Jesus' humanity was absorbed to produce one new divine nature
10. God is one person, but exists in three forms as Father, Son and Spirit
11. The body is evil, and so will not be resurrected
12. God is Spirit, and so spirit is good. Matter is bad.
13. Created matter is fallen and corrupt, so Jesus did not take on full human nature
14. God cannot co-exist with matter, Jesus only appeared to be fully human
15. Jesus was given supernatural powers and made the Son of God at his baptism
16. We have not inherited original sin from Adam.
17. Jesus' human nature is lesser than his divine nature.
18. Having been the first creation of the Father, the Son then created the Holy Spirit
19. All material things were created by Satan
20. Jesus was raised from the dead and united with God as a reward for his obedience
21. We can obey the commands that God has given us. This is why some people in the OT were righteous.
22. A baptism is invalid if performed by a minister who later renounces his faith
23. Suicide is a good way to get rid of the evil of the body
24. The Eucharist is not effective if it is administered by a leader who is sinful
25. God is Spirit, not matter, so Jesus' body was spiritual and only seemed like it was physical
26. Jesus' ordinary human soul was overcome by the the divine Logos inside him
27. The Holy Spirit is the presence of God the Father
28. Only Jesus' human nature died on on the cross.
29. Jesus is two persons; one human and one divine
30. Jesus is God and man in one person
31. The efficacy of sacraments depend on the moral status of those administering them
32. God is a single person with the Holy Spirit as the power of God
33. Jesus is of one substance with the Father in his divine nature.
34. The Father, Son, and Spirit all exist, but never at the same time.
35. The divine Logos replaced Jesus' human nature in the incarnation
36. Miracles show Jesus divinity. Hunger shows his humanity.
37. God's grace is an aid to help people come to him.
38. 'Son of God' refers to Jesus' divine nature only. As man he is simply the 'firstborn'.
39. On the cross, God was manifest as the Son. He is now manifest as the Holy Spirit.
40. Jesus did not have two natures (human and divine) he had one new composite nature
41. Jesus divine and human natures are in no way confused or annulled by their union with each other
42. God is the Father, and Jesus is only a man

One comment regarding #37 above:
God's grace is an aid to help people come to him.

Perhaps it should be better stated as "God's grace is ONLY an aid to help people come to him."

Have fun and...

Are you a heretic?!

BD

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 03:12 PM
Oops, didn't make the last one a poll, and it won't let me change it now or delete it.

OK, in this poll we are really taking a heretic quiz! Here's the link:

http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=7096N

I've got to say that a few of the statements are not clear. But most will be amazed at their results. Now I am going to make it a poll - with all 42 statements here. (If the system will allow that many). You should select only that for which you believe the statement to be true. Trust me when I say that most should be false. :p

So, here are the statements. I'll post the expected "correct" responses, if I can ever respond such that I get a perfect score. (Haven't been able to figure it out yet - close - one off.)

BTW, the real quiz has 42 statements. I'll eliminate a couple of obvious ones here, because the limit here is 40. I renumbered them and made the two least interesting ones the last two - I eliminated #41 and 42 below. Hey, if you would have agreed with the last one, then you really ARE a heretic! :D

1. Jesus was not really God incarnate, because God cannot indwell corrupted matter
2. Jesus' mind was divine, not merely human.
3. There is one God who exists as one person
4. Jesus was not eternally pre-existent, he was rather a deified man
5. Jesus is at once complete in Godhead and manhood
6. God exists in singular unity, there can be no human-divine union
7. Salvation will ultimately involve an escape from physical reality
8. Only God the Father is eternal, and he produced the Son out of nothing
9. Jesus' humanity was absorbed to produce one new divine nature
10. God is one person, but exists in three forms as Father, Son and Spirit
11. The body is evil, and so will not be resurrected
12. God is Spirit, and so spirit is good. Matter is bad.
13. Created matter is fallen and corrupt, so Jesus did not take on full human nature
14. God cannot co-exist with matter, Jesus only appeared to be fully human
15. Jesus was given supernatural powers and made the Son of God at his baptism
16. We have not inherited original sin from Adam.
17. Jesus' human nature is lesser than his divine nature.
18. Having been the first creation of the Father, the Son then created the Holy Spirit
19. Jesus divine and human natures are in no way confused or annulled by their union with each other
20. Jesus was raised from the dead and united with God as a reward for his obedience
21. We can obey the commands that God has given us. This is why some people in the OT were righteous.
22. A baptism is invalid if performed by a minister who later renounces his faith
23. Suicide is a good way to get rid of the evil of the body
24. The Eucharist is not effective if it is administered by a leader who is sinful
25. God is Spirit, not matter, so Jesus' body was spiritual and only seemed like it was physical
26. Jesus' ordinary human soul was overcome by the the divine Logos inside him
27. The Holy Spirit is the presence of God the Father
28. Only Jesus' human nature died on on the cross.
29. Jesus is two persons; one human and one divine
30. Jesus is God and man in one person
31. All material things were created by Satan
32. God is a single person with the Holy Spirit as the power of God
33. Jesus is of one substance with the Father in his divine nature.
34. The Father, Son, and Spirit all exist, but never at the same time.
35. The divine Logos replaced Jesus' human nature in the incarnation
36. Miracles show Jesus divinity. Hunger shows his humanity.
37. God's grace is ONLY an aid to help people come to him.
38. 'Son of God' refers to Jesus' divine nature only. As man he is simply the 'firstborn'.
39. On the cross, God was manifest as the Son. He is now manifest as the Holy Spirit.
40. Jesus did not have two natures (human and divine) he had one new composite nature
41. The efficacy of sacraments depend on the moral status of those administering them (eliminated)
42. God is the Father, and Jesus is only a man (eliminated)

One comment regarding #37 above:
God's grace is an aid to help people come to him.

Perhaps it should be better stated as "God's grace is ONLY an aid to help people come to him." I re-worded it above. If you take the actual quiz, then please post your results here. I'll post mine in the 1st added post. BTW, the order of the questions is randomly changed each time you take it, so let's go by the order in this post. Only a handful should be correct, so if unsure, do not select it. Also, if you take the poll at the link provided, it is best to answer at the extreme - either fully agree or fully disagree.

FYI, these all were renounced or established at various councils down through the centuries. Many are not specifically specified in the Bible. This is the result of many people hashing things out over the centuries.

Have fun and...

Are you a heretic?!

BD

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 04:10 PM
Are you a heretic?
You scored as a Chalcedon compliant
You are Chalcedon compliant. Congratulations, you're not a heretic. You believe that Jesus is truly God and truly man and like us in every respect, apart from sin. Officially approved in 451.
Chalcedon compliant 100%
Apollanarian 33%
Monophysitism 33%
Nestorianism 0%
Pelagianism 0%
Gnosticism 0%
Donatism 0%
Adoptionist 0%
Monarchianism 0%
Albigensianism 0%
Modalism 0%
Arianism 0%
Docetism 0%
Socinianism 0%

I expect that many will come out at least partially "in error" in Modalism and Pelagianism. As you can see, many of these issues were addressed at the council of Chalcedon in 451 AD.

BD

Bethany67
Aug 1st 2008, 05:15 PM
I'm Chalcedon Compliant 100% but I also got:

Pelagianism & Nestorianism 67%
Monophysitism, Adoptionist & Apollinarian 33%
Gnostic 17%

Clearly I need to brush up on my Christology, or learn to interpret quiz questions better!

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm Chalcedon Compliant 100% but I also got:

Pelagianism & Nestorianism 67%
Monophysitism, Adoptionist & Apollinarian 33%
Gnostic 17%

Clearly I need to brush up on my Christology, or learn to interpret quiz questions better!Bethany,

Well getting Chalcedon Compliant 100% is a biggee. I do think that some of the questions were not clear. I'll post some in the next post.

Did you like the quiz? Oh, and I intended for people to take the poll here. It would be fun to see how many of us have one or an other of the statements wrong. I made it not public.

BD

Bethany67
Aug 1st 2008, 05:33 PM
Yes I did like it - it forced me to really think on some of the finer points that I'd never articulated before. I only ever put strongly for or strongly against on quizzes so that may have coloured some of my percentages.

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 05:41 PM
I do think that a few of the questions are not clearly written. For example, how you answered "God's grace is an aid to help people come to Him" would depend on whether you were an Arminian, Calvinist or something else in-between. (Expected response: Disagree)

But someone could certainly answer that at least partially in agreement and should not necessarily be labeled as a Pelagianist.

And what to do with: "Jesus divine and human natures are in no way confused or annulled by their union with each other" (Expected response: Agree) "Confused"? What's that referring to?

"God exists in singular unity, there can be no human-divine union" is not clear. (Expected response: Disagree) But some will say that Jesus' human and divine natures remained intact, not combined into some composite nature, which is correct. Hence, they would agree with it. Proper hermaneutics would say that there was a union that did not "combine" his natures in any way.

"Only Jesus' human nature died on on the cross" is not so heretical. (Expected response: Disagree) If Jesus' divine nature died, then He was not God. God cannot cease to exist, which is how most would view the divine nature "dying." I understand the unity of the human and divine natures while not being coalesced into one thing. But if anyone would claim that Jesus actually ceased to exist I'd fight that aggressively. THAT is heretical, and I think some answered in the affirmative on this one for that reason.

Finally, "Miracles show Jesus' divinity. Hunger shows his humanity" was judged to be heretical. (Expected response: Disagree) Yet is it not true that Jesus would not have experienced hunger unless he was human? hence many answered in the affirmative.

I'd be interested in what some others who took the quiz thought about these statements in the quiz.

Thx,

BD

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 05:43 PM
Yes I did like it - it forced me to really think on some of the finer points that I'd never articulated before. I only ever put strongly for or strongly against on quizzes so that may have coloured some of my percentages.They were looking for only strongly for or against responses, true.

Where you from? (UK spelling of "coloured" vs. American "colored.")

You say "potato" I say "potatoe." ??? :P

Oh, and I think our responses were pretty similar. I'm hoping that as soon as more people take the poll it will cover up any "expected responses."

Oh, and the Pelagianism... they were expecting a response that says that God does not "aid" us in salvation... He does it. I think it comes from a Calvinistic perspective.

Thx,

BD

Bethany67
Aug 1st 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm English, so yep coloured, humour etc. Upholding the English language wherever I go :) You wait till I get going on Cockney rhyming slang ...

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 05:49 PM
You scored as a Chalcedon compliant
You are Chalcedon compliant. Congratulations, you're not a heretic. You believe that Jesus is truly God and truly man and like us in every respect, apart from sin. Officially approved in 451.
Chalcedon compliant 100%

Copied from the quiz....I just don't have the time to reanswer everything for the poll.

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 05:52 PM
Finally, "Miracles show Jesus' divinity. Hunger shows his humanity" was judged to be heretical. (Expected response: Disagree) Yet is it not true that Jesus would not have experienced hunger unless he was human? hence many answered in the affirmative.

I answered this one in the affirmative for the very reason you gave.

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 05:56 PM
I also had these listed...I don't even know what they are - can you explain?

Monophysitism 33%
Nestorianism 33%
Pelagianism 33%
Adoptionist 33%

Bethany67
Aug 1st 2008, 06:03 PM
Monophysitism = Jesus has one (divine) nature instead of a human and a divine one.

Nestorianism = Jesus exists as two persons instead of one person with two natures.

Pelagianism = our nature is not corrupted by original sin and we can choose to do God's will with no external aid.

Adoptionist = Jesus was born human and became divine later.

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 06:09 PM
Monophysitism = Jesus has one (divine) nature instead of a human and a divine one.

Nestorianism = Jesus exists as two persons instead of one person with two natures.

Pelagianism = our nature is not corrupted by original sin and we can choose to do God's will with no external aid.

How odd...I disagreed with the questions that stated those things.

Bethany67
Aug 1st 2008, 06:14 PM
How odd...I disagreed with the questions that stated those things.

So did I - it was somewhat confusing. I spotted things like Docetism (Jesus was pure spirit and just appeared to be physical) and Modalism aka Sabellianism (God takes on 3 forms but not at the same time and is only one Person - one of my pet gripes with the steam/water/ice analogy for the Trinity), but apparently fell for some of the others.

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 06:19 PM
Well, an interesting quiz anyway.:)

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 06:23 PM
I also had these listed...I don't even know what they are - can you explain?

Monophysitism 33%
Nestorianism 33%
Pelagianism 33%
Adoptionist 33%Good questions, and it seems that you graded out as not a heretic. Whew! :P

Nestorianism: A heresy that within Jesus are two distinct persons, divine and human, rather than a single divine person. (What they are looking for is two distinct natures - divine and human, but one Person. Similarly they were looking for one essence or substance in the Godhead, but 3 Persons)

Pelagianism [or "Semi-Pelagianism"]: while not denying the necessity of Grace for salvation, maintained that the first steps towards the Christian life were ordinarily taken by the human will and that Grace supervened only later. Many who are Arminian in their theological slant would answer the question, "God's grace is an aid to help people come to him" in the affirmative, while they were looking for disagreement. I added the word "ONLY" it in this poll to try to be more clear that God doesn't ONLY help save us, He saves us. We simply ask for Him to save us. I think it's an unclear statement.

Adoptionist: is a belief that Jesus was born merely human and that he became divine later in his life. One does not become God. Jesus always existed, for eternity, as God. He became a human being.

Monophysitism: states that Jesus Christ has only one nature, and that it is partly divine and partly human. Correct "Christology" says that Jesus has a divine and a human nature - distinct. He was fully God and fully human. Some taught that his human and divine nature were coalesced into some mixture - part divine and part human. This may have arisen if you didn't agree that "Jesus is of one substance with the Father in his divine nature."

I looked some of these up after taking the quiz myself. Did you enjoy the quiz? Was it valuable?

Thx for taking the poll.

BD

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 06:30 PM

Docetism, as espoused by Cerinthus, is essentially Adoptionistic. He said that Jesus was born a human being (perhaps a sinless one, or one without a sin nature) and that at His baptism that the Son came upon him. He left Jesus at or just before His crucifixion... since in his opinion God cannot die, and hence, Jesus could not have died on the cross for us.

Monophysitism can also mean that he had one nature - a combined divine and human one. That's what they were probably testing here.

Your definition of Pelagianism is solid. What they were really testing here was for "Semi-Palagianism," which says that God helps us, but we need to do some work as well. The question was, "God's grace is ONLY an aid to help people come to him." I added the "ONLY" to make it more clear in the poll.

Both of you did well, IMO. Most users here would not fare so well.

Thx,

BD

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 06:32 PM
I enjoyed the quiz and it was valuable in providing definitions...although I obviously didn't know what they were looking for in expected responses. I'm like Bethany in that I need to be able to do a better job of interpreting quiz questions.

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 06:41 PM
:D I tried to figure out how to answer all of the questions IOT get 100% Chalcedonian and nothing else... best I could do was 33% (I think) Monophysitism.

BD

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 07:40 PM
Anyone who can tell us how to get 100% Chalcedonian with nothing else, will become the theologian of the month. :P

So, any heretics around? Surprised to discover that you are one? :bounce:

BD

9Marksfan
Aug 2nd 2008, 12:03 AM
Hurray! :pp I'm 100% Chalcedon complaint! Not a heretic! :bounce:

Pleroo
Aug 2nd 2008, 12:14 AM
Apparently, I'm not a heretic. If only they knew. :bounce:

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 03:38 AM
Hey,

Thank you to all those who participated in this poll (and who took that quiz). :P Some of you may want to address some of those statements now, esp. perhaps those which are false and which some voted on here - help us to see the error.

BD

9Marksfan
Aug 3rd 2008, 03:42 PM
Hey,

Thank you to all those who participated in this poll (and who took that quiz). :P Some of you may want to address some of those statements now, esp. perhaps those which are false and which some voted on here - help us to see the error.

BD

Thanks for the poll, BD - really interesting. You seem to be quite up on Christology - here's a view I heard recently and I wonder if you know its origin - sounds a bit Gnostic:-

Jesus was always God/with God from the beginning, but before His incarnation, He was the Word. He did not become the Son until His incarnation.

Bethany67
Aug 3rd 2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the poll, BD - really interesting. You seem to be quite up on Christology - here's a view I heard recently and I wonder if you know its origin - sounds a bit Gnostic:-

Jesus was always God/with God from the beginning, but before His incarnation, He was the Word. He did not become the Son until His incarnation.

Sounds like Oneness Pentecostal to me - a form of Adoptionism.

9Marksfan
Aug 3rd 2008, 04:54 PM
Sounds like Oneness Pentecostal to me - a form of Adoptionism.

The guy that espoused it is AoGI - but he still believes in Christ's deity - aren't the Onenness folk Modalists?

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 06:04 PM

Thank you.

It sounds a bit like Docetism. Docetism is often confused or swallowed up by Gnosticism. They're different. Cerinthus was its chief proponent late in the Apostle John's life. Many think he wrote his first letter chiefly to oppose Docetism. In this view the Son is divine. However, they do not believe that God can become a human being - become flesh - and they also do not see how God can die.

So Cerinthus said that when the Spirit came upon Jesus at His baptism that was when the Son indwelt or inhabited the man Jesus. Either just before the crucifixion or when He gave up His spirit on the cross the Son left him at that time.

It is related to Gnosticism in that the spiritual is seen as good and the flesh as bad. But Docetism does not have an issue with the Son's deity perse, but with his humanity. But in 1st John he made it clear that they were not to be considered brothers. Gnosticism is a description of something which has a diverse flavor of beliefs, some of which deny the deity of Christ.

Anyway, if that's what you're referring to, then it came about early in Christianity, definitely in the 1st century - the later half. I'd say it came before Gnosticism, but Dr. Metzger says that Gnosticism didn't come about until about 200AD. If so, then Docetism was a related precursor to Gnosticism. Gnosticism was a more serious error than Docetism.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

BD

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 06:07 PM
The guy that espoused it is AoGI - but he still believes in Christ's deity - aren't the Onenness folk Modalists?
Yes the Oneness Pentacostals are Modalists. They hold to the deity of Christ while most Gnosticists did not.

See my precious post. BTW a good source for such things is CARM, and actually Wikipedia does well. And Bethany is right - today's counterpart would be Adoptionism.

BD

holyrokker
Aug 4th 2008, 04:31 AM
According to this poll - is there anyone who isn't a heretic?

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 05:14 PM
:P Well, if you grade out as 100% Chalcedonian, then regardless of some hiccups, you're not a heretic. This is based upon the Council of Chalcedon in 451, which attempted to clarify some doctrines and specify what were some heretical teachings.

But a few of the questions in this quiz were not written very well, and hence can be confusing. Most of the places where we made mistakes reveal an unclear understanding about a doctrine, such as with the trinity, not heresy. For example, the following are clear doctrinal error, but quite common among believers today IMO:
"On the cross, God was manifest as the Son. He is now manifest as the Holy Spirit."
"The Father, Son, and Spirit all exist, but never at the same time." (IMO, this is more serious.)
"God is a single person with the Holy Spirit as the power of God."
"The Holy Spirit is the presence of God the Father."
"Jesus' humanity was absorbed to produce one new divine nature." (Hey, does the Bible say anything specifically about this one? No. It's deduced logically.)
"God is one person, but exists in three forms as Father, Son and Spirit" - Modalism. A common Christian misunderstanding.
"There is one God who exists as one person" - (Three Persons. But again this is more deduced than clearly stated, though it should be clear in scripture.)

But such things as the following are serious error:
"Having been the first creation of the Father, the Son then created the Holy Spirit."
"Adoptionism" - "Jesus was born human and became divine later." (One does not become God. You must always be God - outside of time and space.)
"On the cross, God was manifest as the Son. He is now manifest as the Holy Spirit." - (More serious form of Modalism)

If people believe that Jesus is God, Son, and hence is God, and that He dies for their sins, he's saved, even if we have some of the details off.

BD

sadair
Feb 11th 2009, 04:17 PM
I took the poll, but I never saw how I faired.
I was expecting some sort of "heretic" summary after I voted. . . (like 33% Pelagian, etc.) ---all I saw was a colored bar graph indicating how others voted. Where's my label when I need one?

tt1106
Feb 13th 2009, 05:38 PM

Dani H
Feb 13th 2009, 06:52 PM

Ditto.

Some questions I really didn't know how to answer, and I found them a bit confusing so I just clicked according to "ehhh close enough for now". Not always very-most right and very-most left either.

karenoka27
Feb 13th 2009, 07:08 PM
You are Chalcedon compliant. Congratulations, you're not a heretic. You believe that Jesus is truly God and truly man and like us in every respect, apart from sin. :pp

tango
Feb 13th 2009, 08:14 PM
Not sure what some of the terms mean and insufficiently interested to look them up. A curious quiz, with a few interesting questions.

You Scored as Chalcedon compliant

Chalcedon compliant
100%
Nestorianism
33%
Monophysitism
33%
Modalism
33%
Gnosticism
25%
Monarchianism
17%
Arianism
17%
Docetism
8%
Albigensianism
0%
Donatism
0%
Pelagianism
0%
Adoptionist
0%
Apollanarian
0%
Socinianism
0%

matthew7and1
May 9th 2009, 01:17 AM
i passed too!!! :pp

My heart's Desire
May 9th 2009, 06:17 PM
I must be in trouble. I didn't understand alot of the questions. My mind is too detail driven.

NotMyOwn
May 9th 2009, 06:32 PM
I'm glad I am not Catholic, because according to their teachings I would be considered a heretic. But according to the Bible I am not.

My heart's Desire
May 9th 2009, 06:34 PM
Guess I did understand some of the questions. I took the poll on the other page and..................You Scored as Chalcedon compliant

You are Chalcedon compliant I'm not a heretic.

BadDog
May 20th 2009, 12:03 PM
I took the poll, but I never saw how I faired.
I was expecting some sort of "heretic" summary after I voted. . . (like 33% Pelagian, etc.) ---all I saw was a colored bar graph indicating how others voted. Where's my label when I need one?Sorry sadair, just saw this.

You have to go to the link given in the OP and take the quiz there IOT get those ratings. This poll here is merely to see how many hold to what are "technically" unbiblical views. (Not "heretical" IMO.)

BD

Emanate
May 22nd 2009, 09:40 PM
You Scored as Donatism

Tough test, especially when many of the answers were wrong no matter how you answered

such as:

18. Suicide is a good way to get rid of the evil of the body

A: Yes, cus your body is dead (duh), no good or evil exists in dead tissue.

26. A baptism is invalid if performed by a minister who later renounces his faith

A: what is an invalid baptism?

37. The Eucharist is not effective if it is administered by a leader who is sinful

A: no answer is scriptural.

40. We can obey the commands that God has given us. This is why some people in the OT were righteous.

A: We can obey, yet not one person was ever made righteous by obedience to commands. it has always been by faith according to Genesis and Hebrews 11, as well as the rest of scripture.

so on and so forth

BadDog
May 23rd 2009, 07:24 PM
You Scored as Donatism

Tough test, especially when many of the answers were wrong no matter how you answered

such as:

18. Suicide is a good way to get rid of the evil of the body

A: Yes, cus your body is dead (duh), no good or evil exists in dead tissue.

BD: :P Some have taught over the centuries that to punish the flesh is to have victory over sin... though not usually to the point of suicide.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that He might bring you to God, after being put to death in the fleshly realm but made alive in the spiritual realm.

1 Peter 4:1, 2 Therefore, since Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same resolve--because the One who suffered in the flesh has finished with sin--in order to live the remaining time in the flesh, no longer for human desires, but for God's will.

Some people have taken that thought to an extreme.

26. A baptism is invalid if performed by a minister who later renounces his faith

A: what is an invalid baptism?

BD: Well, the Roman Catholic Church only recognizes baptisms performed by the church clergy. Other "high-church" churches do the same.. I agree it is not biblical, as do those who made this quiz.

37. The Eucharist is not effective if it is administered by a leader who is sinful

A: no answer is scriptural.

BD: Just using the term "eucharist" rather than "communion" or "sacraments" is a clue. The RCC sees 7 rituals while most Protestants only recognize two: baptism and communion. When the Lord's supper is seen as a special ritual in which something spiritual actually happens (such as the elements actually turning into the body and blood of Christ), they invariably require leaders in the church to perform them.

40. We can obey the commands that God has given us. This is why some people in the OT were righteous.

A: We can obey, yet not one person was ever made righteous by obedience to commands. it has always been by faith according to Genesis and Hebrews 11, as well as the rest of scripture.

BD: Amen. Agreed. Though there is a question regarding to wwhat extent we are able to obey.

so on and so forth
Hey, it's just a "quiz." Lotsa flaws in it. But it was fun.

Take care,

BD