PDA

View Full Version : Music in the service

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 07:26 PM
Only four choices here. Take one of 'em. :P Remember this is your "preference." I don't care whether you prefer 10% or 75% hymns. A mixture is a mixture. :D

BD

Ninna
Aug 1st 2008, 07:34 PM
I love the old hymns but I love many of the contemporary praise & worship songs, too.

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 07:39 PM
I like some of the ole hymns too... but I think that IOT reach the next generation we need to switch to contemporary songs alone. Hence my preference.

BD

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 08:17 PM
Hey it's split evenly now. Cool

MidnightsPaleGlow
Aug 1st 2008, 09:25 PM
I tried getting into the contemporary worship music, but just couldn't find myself getting into it. I prefer the traditional hymns in worship (Amazing Grace, The Old Rugged Cross, The Comforter Has Come, Trust and Obey, Victory in Jesus, etc.)

Sherrie
Aug 2nd 2008, 03:03 AM
Mixture of hymns and contemporary songs

Love the Old "Heavenly Highway" hymnal songs. But I really like the contemporary praise songs as well!

calidog
Aug 2nd 2008, 07:43 AM
I got another one right :D

Bethany67
Aug 2nd 2008, 10:26 AM
I prefer mostly contemporary, but a few hymns are okay like Amazing Grace and Be Thou My Vision.

Slug1
Aug 2nd 2008, 12:30 PM
For me it's contemporary music although any hymn with 2 electric guitars, a bass guitar and a motivated drummer... added for flavor, will always be enjoyed ;)

Right now I'm learning, "Your Grace is Enough"... the song rocks!

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 03:31 AM
I got another one right :D

:rofl:

Well, it appears, so far, that 2/3 of people prefer some sort of mixture.

BD

Esperanza32
Aug 3rd 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm currently going to an awesome church where we alternate worship styles every week. One week we do contemporary music in a casual setting, the next week we do more formal, older hymns in a sanctuary. I love the variety.

RoadWarrior
Aug 3rd 2008, 04:37 PM
We should keep what is good in the old, and find what is good in the new. The most important thing in worship is the right mix and progression of the music, to lead people into an attitude of worship, and prepare hearts and minds to hear what the Lord will speak to them through the sermon.

Slightly off-topic, my biggest beef is the breaking up of the service into pieces, so that there is not a smooth flow from beginning to end. I end up with mental whiplash so that by the time the sermon begins, I have to work at being quiet and comfortable to hear what is being said.

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm currently going to an awesome church where we alternate worship styles every week. One week we do contemporary music in a casual setting, the next week we do more formal, older hymns in a sanctuary. I love the variety.
Neat idea! Many churches have more than one service with a variety of music.

Roadwarrior,

My biggest beef is that in a desire to please people, and to attract people, the messages are reduced to 20 minute devotionals.

BD

holyrokker
Aug 4th 2008, 03:51 AM
I prefer a "rock-n-roll" style - but don't many of the contemporary songs I've heard.

So I'd rather sing hymns in church.

smokey the dog
Aug 4th 2008, 05:14 AM
My wife and I sing in the choir, but I voted for a mix because there are some great praise and worship songs out there.

BadDog
Aug 5th 2008, 03:56 PM
I prefer a "rock-n-roll" style - but don't many of the contemporary songs I've heard.

So I'd rather sing hymns in church.
Well, my yougest son would agree with you about the rock-n-roll and not liking praise songs.

BD

Karenwright
Mar 17th 2009, 02:35 PM
I guess the best description is a mixture of Hymns and contemporary. Hymns are appropriate at certain times of year and in certain parts of the actual service. I sing in the choir and we do mostly contemporary. I like to get the congregation movin and groovin. We only have two guitars right now. In our church we stand, clap our hands, and praise God to the highest heaven. We raise our hands asking to be fed by His word. Okay, now getting real honest - I LOVE Gospel songs.

HisLeast
Mar 17th 2009, 04:35 PM
At some point, even the old hymns were contemporary.

KJo
Mar 17th 2009, 05:17 PM
I like both but prefer hymns.
Some of the contemporary in Church get to loud for me, some of them are great.

Moxie
Mar 17th 2009, 10:05 PM
The like the old hymns arranged in contemporary music i.e. Amazing Grace (My chains are gone).

amazzin
Mar 17th 2009, 10:07 PM
Only four choices here. Take one of 'em. :P Remember this is your "preference." I don't care whether you prefer 10% or 75% hymns. A mixture is a mixture. :D

BD

I guess Screamo music is not an option!

Veretax
Mar 20th 2009, 03:06 AM
Everything in the service should be in balance, and orderly, that goes for the music too ;D

Izdaari
Mar 20th 2009, 11:09 AM
I voted mixture, because while I'm a rock 'n' roll person, I do love some of the traditional hymns... but I love them more when they're played in a hard rock/heavy metal style.

Even though it's a Christmas carol, the best example I can give is the Twisted Sister version of Oh Come All Ye Faithful. I won't post it, but it's easy to find on YouTube. The old Lutheran classic, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God would be awesome done that way.

Something else I love that hasn't been mentioned is sacred music older than the traditional hymns: baroque, Gregorian chants, etc.

Warrior4God
Mar 20th 2009, 01:10 PM
I play drums on the worship team at my church. I personally prefer more of the contemporary music, but we do play some of the older hymns for the senior citizens who like that type of music. Of course, we sometimes play them a little differently to mix things up a bit. ;)

Veretax
Mar 20th 2009, 01:55 PM
I don't understand why some don't like Hymns.

What's not to like about great songs of the faith like:

Amazing Grace
Great is Thy Faithfullness
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
Trust and Obey
Come Thou Fount of every Blessing
Onward Christian Soldiers
A Marvelous Savior (He Hideth my Soul...)
At Calvary
Calvary Covers it all.
When Peace like a River (It is well with my soul)
There Shall be Showers of Blessing
Rock of Ages....

There are far too many 'old hymns' I could list that are wonderful songs.

I'm not saying adding in new music is bad btw, adding new songs now and then is a healthy thing I believe, but to disregard these things just because they are old is not something I agree with, personnally :D

Warrior4God
Mar 21st 2009, 12:28 AM
I don't understand why some don't like Hymns.

What's not to like about great songs of the faith like:

Amazing Grace
Great is Thy Faithfullness
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
Trust and Obey
Come Thou Fount of every Blessing
Onward Christian Soldiers
A Marvelous Savior (He Hideth my Soul...)
At Calvary
Calvary Covers it all.
When Peace like a River (It is well with my soul)
There Shall be Showers of Blessing
Rock of Ages....

There are far too many 'old hymns' I could list that are wonderful songs.

I'm not saying adding in new music is bad btw, adding new songs now and then is a healthy thing I believe, but to disregard these things just because they are old is not something I agree with, personnally :D

When it comes to music, there's no "right" or "wrong." It's all just personal preference. The hymns were written many years ago and are just a whole different type of music than what many younger people like to listen to now. Years from now, music will possibly be different and the stuff that's currently "contemporary" may be considered "old music." :lol:

Veretax
Mar 21st 2009, 04:10 AM
When it comes to music, there's no "right" or "wrong." It's all just personal preference. The hymns were written many years ago and are just a whole different type of music than what many younger people like to listen to now. Years from now, music will possibly be different and the stuff that's currently "contemporary" may be considered "old music." :lol:

I disagree with that with the following qualification if you'll permit me to explain.

First, we must all realize that, all music has a message. If that message is Good, edifying, with Christian Theme's, then it passes the first test. Secondly, Music that has accompaniment there must be a harmony/synergy between the words and the background music itself. If the message in the lyrics do not mesh with the music, or if one overpowers the other, that's not good from a musical perspective.

Now I realize that's kind of broad and specific, and vague all at the same time, but it is a distinction I've learned and grown all my life. There is no reason that young people cannot appreciate Hymns, orchestral, symphonic or other such music, provided they are given a chance to be exposed to it. Btw, not all the Hymns in our current hymnal were written decades or even centuries ago, many have been written recently.

One other thing, as far as music for worship goes, there is some music that frankly, is very difficult to sing along with, anything that would fall into that category, I personally would not want to see in a church, but there are plenty of contemporary pieces that fit into all of those parameters.

One other thing I will add, and that is the option of Worship Bands for accompaniment. On the surface there is nothing wrong with having a band, or orchestra to back up the congregation, however, I've been in several different churches that had worship bands and I've discovered too problems that people should keep in mind.

1. The members of the band should be sure they are singing to bring glory to the Lord and not to themselves.
2. The members of the audience should be singing to bring praise to the Lord and not heaping it upon the band
3. Humility in the singing is imperative.
4. The music being sung or played should be played in a manner that the Congregation can join (with exception to perhaps one set that they do 'solo' I suppose that would be okay)

It is unfortunate that I visited one church that had a band, and while I was singing along with them to the praise of God, they heaped and lauded praise in the flesh and not to God, and I never went back to that church. I have been in another though, where the attitudes of all involved were indeed humble so it is possible to do.

As for me I like music with full chords and background.

Not sure if that clarifies my beliefs or not.

Firekitty
Mar 22nd 2009, 09:09 PM
Mixture, the old hymns are great, but there needs to be some contemporary music with them. And vice versa. :lol:

matthew7and1
Apr 3rd 2009, 08:56 PM
I voted for the mix. It's all aboutthe variety! ;)

God-Gave-R+R-2-U
Apr 3rd 2009, 09:14 PM
I like music that praises the Lord while also sounds good, as in "rocking out" and inspiring everyone to get up and sing, dance and/or clap along to it. Here are a few samples of great Christian music that I like, listen to and recommend.

"Awesome God."
"Lord, I Lift Your Name On High."
"You Are Good."
"Here I Am To Worship."
"Shout To The Lord."
"Holy Is The Lord."
"Praise You In This Storm."
"Voice Of Truth."
"The Old Rugged Cross."
"Indescribable."
"Let Your Light Shine."
"Adonai."
"Washed By Blood."
"2000 Decembers Ago."
"Word Of God Speak."
"I Can Only Imagine."
"House Of God."
"So Long Self."
"Streets Of Gold."
"Signature Of Divine (Yahweh)."
"Breathe Your Name."

And that's only a small sample of what I listen to. "Awesome God" has always been a great song to sing along to while in Church or at Bible Studies, but I definitely remember one of the last times singing "You Are Good" at Church and it was absolutely "electric" and got everyone "pumped up" and ready to praise the Lord. "Here I Am To Worship" indeed!:hug:

God-Gave-R+R-2-U
Apr 3rd 2009, 09:24 PM
I voted mixture, because while I'm a rock 'n' roll person, I do love some of the traditional hymns... but I love them more when they're played in a hard rock/heavy metal style.

"House Of God" by MercyMe is definitely a nice hardrocker to check out. At the same time, check out the hard rocking artist Brian Welch. He is now truly in love with the Lord and writes great music that is the best of both worlds: hard rocking songs as well as praising Jesus. As I've already mentioned, "Adonai" is a great song by him as well as "Washed By Blood" and many others. Have fun with it, dear brothers and sisters.;)

Izdaari
Apr 3rd 2009, 11:14 PM
"House Of God" by MercyMe is definitely a nice hardrocker to check out. At the same time, check out the hard rocking artist Brian Welch. He is now truly in love with the Lord and writes great music that is the best of both worlds: hard rocking songs as well as praising Jesus. As I've already mentioned, "Adonai" is a great song by him as well as "Washed By Blood" and many others. Have fun with it, dear brothers and sisters.;)
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out. :pp

God-Gave-R+R-2-U
Apr 4th 2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out. :pp

No problem. As a music loving brother, I'm always here to help out all of my brothers and sisters all around the Bible Forums.:kiss:

Veretax
Apr 16th 2009, 12:44 PM
not wanting to start a new thread on this, but I saw the following article on Christian Music Today: (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/february/14.50.html)Memo to Worship Bands (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/february/14.50.html)
Five sound reasons to lower the volume. (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/february/14.50.html)
John G. Stackhouse Jr. (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/february/14.50.html)

Its a very good read about volume of worship music, and a reminder what their true purpose should be.

RedBird777
Apr 18th 2009, 08:02 PM
I tried getting into the contemporary worship music, but just couldn't find myself getting into it. I prefer the traditional hymns in worship (Amazing Grace, The Old Rugged Cross, The Comforter Has Come, Trust and Obey, Victory in Jesus, etc.)

I like hymns a LOT more than contemporary. The quoted sums up my moods of it all. I'm a metal-head, so.....I like the more classical approach (it's just the type of chords, chord progression, style, and sound are more similar).

Izdaari and God-Gave-R+R-2-U, I'm a metal head, and if you do like metal, check out the only blog I have on this website - it's a list of my favorite Christian metal bands (along with others - but I sort them out).
Also, Antestor took an old Norwegian hymn and gave it a Doom-Metal approach that is quite impressive (Jesus, Jesus Ver Du Hj Meg).
Also, Extol wrote a song with a hymn-like apporach (Jesus Kom Til Jorden For D).

Also, I must say, I have a lot of respect for Brian Welch. I read his book, and all the stuff he's been through and how he fully trusted God is completely amazing.

Warrior4God
Apr 19th 2009, 10:31 PM
One other thing I will add, and that is the option of Worship Bands for accompaniment. On the surface there is nothing wrong with having a band, or orchestra to back up the congregation, however, I've been in several different churches that had worship bands and I've discovered too problems that people should keep in mind.

1. The members of the band should be sure they are singing to bring glory to the Lord and not to themselves.
2. The members of the audience should be singing to bring praise to the Lord and not heaping it upon the band
3. Humility in the singing is imperative.
4. The music being sung or played should be played in a manner that the Congregation can join (with exception to perhaps one set that they do 'solo' I suppose that would be okay)

It is unfortunate that I visited one church that had a band, and while I was singing along with them to the praise of God, they heaped and lauded praise in the flesh and not to God, and I never went back to that church. I have been in another though, where the attitudes of all involved were indeed humble so it is possible to do.

I'm on a worship team at my church, so I can speak with authority on this matter. Most people that are on a worship team are doing it simply because they have some talent and just want to put it to good use. In my case, I didn't approach anybody to join the worship team. When the previous drummer left I was asked to join, with some reservations on my part. I believe, for most people, it isn't an ego thing. If it was, people would be better off pursuing secular music, making records, and touring to get praise and glory for themselves, rather than singing a few Christian songs at some rinky dink church.

Veretax, or anybody else for that matter, I want to know how you think you can tell if people on a worship team are doing it to stroke their egos? Is there a certain appearance they have? Are there certain facial expressions they display? How do you know what's going on in their minds? Don't say something vague like, "You just know." It's easy to make accusations that people are performing to get applause and compliments. Care to back it up? :confused

Veretax
Apr 20th 2009, 03:09 AM
I'm on a worship team at my church, so I can speak with authority on this matter. Most people that are on a worship team are doing it simply because they have some talent and just want to put it to good use. In my case, I didn't approach anybody to join the worship team. When the previous drummer left I was asked to join, with some reservations on my part. I believe, for most people, it isn't an ego thing. If it was, people would be better off pursuing secular music, making records, and touring to get praise and glory for themselves, rather than singing a few Christian songs at some rinky dink church.

Veretax, or anybody else for that matter, I want to know how you think you can tell if people on a worship team are doing it to stroke their egos? Is there a certain appearance they have? Are there certain facial expressions they display? How do you know what's going on in their minds? Don't say something vague like, "You just know." It's easy to make accusations that people are performing to get applause and compliments. Care to back it up? :confused

First I'll agree, many people perform because they have talent or training with an instrument. In my case I always deflect the praise of people onto God who gave me the gift. I would not hazard a guess at the percentage of worship bands that border on being too carnal or not, I really would not know where to put it. I just know what I've witnessed in my life time.

As I said I've only been to two churches where they had a worship band (not to be confused with an orchestra). The one in particular, I enjoyed the music, and was trying to sing along, but it is difficult to explain why I felt the one group's style was somehow wrong, but the other was not. It was highly subjective I suppose, but i think it is important for those who lead worship music to make sure it is God that is getting the attention and not them, they are merely there to back up the congregation while singing.

Warrior4God
Apr 20th 2009, 10:52 PM
First I'll agree, many people perform because they have talent or training with an instrument. In my case I always deflect the praise of people onto God who gave me the gift. I would not hazard a guess at the percentage of worship bands that border on being too carnal or not, I really would not know where to put it. I just know what I've witnessed in my life time.

As I said I've only been to two churches where they had a worship band (not to be confused with an orchestra). The one in particular, I enjoyed the music, and was trying to sing along, but it is difficult to explain why I felt the one group's style was somehow wrong, but the other was not. It was highly subjective I suppose, but i think it is important for those who lead worship music to make sure it is God that is getting the attention and not them, they are merely there to back up the congregation while singing.

The bottom line is nobody really knows for sure when worship band members are doing their thing to get recognition from people. Even "giving the glory to God" stuff can be faked. People can say "To God be the glory," and really just be giving that sentiment mere lip service to appear spiritual to others while they bask in compliments and applause from people for the music they're playing. I never try to be too judgmental and guess people's intentions and motivations. I leave it between God and the musicians. It's better that way. :hmm:

Veretax
Apr 21st 2009, 05:05 PM
The bottom line is nobody really knows for sure when worship band members are doing their thing to get recognition from people. Even "giving the glory to God" stuff can be faked. People can say "To God be the glory," and really just be giving that sentiment mere lip service to appear spiritual to others while they bask in compliments and applause from people for the music they're playing. I never try to be too judgmental and guess people's intentions and motivations. I leave it between God and the musicians. It's better that way. :hmm:

While I agree that only God knows the heart, I don't think that precludes us from exercising discernment in determining what is and is not of God.

I understand the not wanting to be judgemental attitude, but let's be honest, God gave us his Spirit, why? so that we can no what is and is not of him, that goes for music as well as life. So if I'm sitting in a service and I perceive that the worship is too fleshly, then IMO it behooves me to exercise the good discretion God Gave me in that matter.

Warrior4God
Apr 21st 2009, 10:49 PM
While I agree that only God knows the heart, I don't think that precludes us from exercising discernment in determining what is and is not of God.

I understand the not wanting to be judgemental attitude, but let's be honest, God gave us his Spirit, why? so that we can no what is and is not of him, that goes for music as well as life. So if I'm sitting in a service and I perceive that the worship is too fleshly, then IMO it behooves me to exercise the good discretion God Gave me in that matter.

I understand what you're trying to say here. However, the problem I'm having with it is so far you haven't even stated what indicates when people are being too "fleshly." You keep making a blanket statement about that. What constitutes being "fleshly?" What physical actions do fleshly people do or say that indicates they're being fleshly? Is it when they bow to the congregation during applause? You know, something tangible like that, rather than just saying "I perceive they're being fleshly." That's way too vague. It also makes it seem like your perception is based on your personal feelings rather than anything the worship members have actually done. I'm just looking for some clarification. Like I said earlier, it's easy to make an accusation against somebody, but if you can do that you should be able to show exactly why you have come to the conclusion you did.

Veretax
Apr 22nd 2009, 01:10 AM
I understand what you're trying to say here. However, the problem I'm having with it is so far you haven't even stated what indicates when people are being too "fleshly." You keep making a blanket statement about that. What constitutes being "fleshly?" What physical actions do fleshly people do or say that indicates they're being fleshly? Is it when they bow to the congregation during applause? You know, something tangible like that, rather than just saying "I perceive they're being fleshly." That's way too vague. It also makes it seem like your perception is based on your personal feelings rather than anything the worship members have actually done. I'm just looking for some clarification. Like I said earlier, it's easy to make an accusation against somebody, but if you can do that you should be able to show exactly why you have come to the conclusion you did.

First let me say this, the two church services i attended with worship bands, were different, one was not a true Church IMO, so that kind of makes it a fuzzy comparison, but both I visited within a years time about 9 or 10 years ago so my memory is fuzzy. In more recent memory I've attended a few Concerts with artists like Michael W. Smith, MercyMe, Jars of Clay, Sara Groves, Newsong, True Vibe, Brother's keeper, Rachel Lampa, Building 429 and a couple of others.

Each of those artists had a different way of presenting, and in the case of a couple of them, MWS, MercyMe, Newsong to name a couple, the experience was not what I would have expected, but turned into a worship service practically.

You want me to cite particular things as Fleshly but in the context of those two services I was in almost a decade ago, my memory is fuzzy, what I do know is that the one I felt was fleshy I had a very eery feeling within me that is just difficult to describe. I spoke to a friend that went there regularly and he himself said he didn't agree with how they ran the worship service, too much 'praise' to the band, and not enough focus on the reason they were there (God).

I can't give you specific things they did because my memory of those events have faded, I just know that the first one I was in I had a definite negative impression of what happened, and that wasn't the case in the other that I visited a few months later.

Bear in mind I was a band member in middle school and high school, so I have a good appreciation of music in general, and I am not necessarily as conservative on music as some people I have associated with, but still, I know that something wasn't right with that one group, and it may not have just been the worship band. (Edit) I remember just a few more things now that I rack my brain. I just remember having this sick feeling inside, that I didn't have before arriving, looking around and seeing the looks on some peoples faces and feeling this profound sadness, might have even had a slight tear come to my eye, and then I felt compelled to drop to a knee and pray. Now I can't remember many times when I felt compelled to just pray like that before. I don't even remember what I was specifically praying for, but I prayed through that one song or medly right before the message came, and I just can't explain it beyond that. I dunno, maybe something else was going on, and the Lord was prompting me to pray through the Spirit, but I did not have a good feeling that the Lord wanted me to return after it.

That's all I can say. I wish I could be more specific, but as I said, my memory of those two events have faded a bit. I know what my conclusionswhere, but I can't cite what those conclusions were based upon :/

Warrior4God
Apr 22nd 2009, 04:13 AM
First let me say this, the two church services i attended with worship bands, were different, one was not a true Church IMO, so that kind of makes it a fuzzy comparison, but both I visited within a years time about 9 or 10 years ago so my memory is fuzzy. In more recent memory I've attended a few Concerts with artists like Michael W. Smith, MercyMe, Jars of Clay, Sara Groves, Newsong, True Vibe, Brother's keeper, Rachel Lampa, Building 429 and a couple of others.

Each of those artists had a different way of presenting, and in the case of a couple of them, MWS, MercyMe, Newsong to name a couple, the experience was not what I would have expected, but turned into a worship service practically.

You want me to cite particular things as Fleshly but in the context of those two services I was in almost a decade ago, my memory is fuzzy, what I do know is that the one I felt was fleshy I had a very eery feeling within me that is just difficult to describe. I spoke to a friend that went there regularly and he himself said he didn't agree with how they ran the worship service, too much 'praise' to the band, and not enough focus on the reason they were there (God).

I can't give you specific things they did because my memory of those events have faded, I just know that the first one I was in I had a definite negative impression of what happened, and that wasn't the case in the other that I visited a few months later.

Bear in mind I was a band member in middle school and high school, so I have a good appreciation of music in general, and I am not necessarily as conservative on music as some people I have associated with, but still, I know that something wasn't right with that one group, and it may not have just been the worship band. (Edit) I remember just a few more things now that I rack my brain. I just remember having this sick feeling inside, that I didn't have before arriving, looking around and seeing the looks on some peoples faces and feeling this profound sadness, might have even had a slight tear come to my eye, and then I felt compelled to drop to a knee and pray. Now I can't remember many times when I felt compelled to just pray like that before. I don't even remember what I was specifically praying for, but I prayed through that one song or medly right before the message came, and I just can't explain it beyond that. I dunno, maybe something else was going on, and the Lord was prompting me to pray through the Spirit, but I did not have a good feeling that the Lord wanted me to return after it.

That's all I can say. I wish I could be more specific, but as I said, my memory of those two events have faded a bit. I know what my conclusionswhere, but I can't cite what those conclusions were based upon :/

Well, that's cool and all. I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, so I won't hassle you about it anymore. I don't know. I guess when I hear somebody say things like the worship band is being fleshly it puts me on the defensive a bit because I'm on a worship band at my church and it makes me feel like I'm going to be accused of being that way simply because I play the drums and sing and that bothers me. I honestly don't do what I do for any recognition and it isn't for my benefit. When people occasionally have complimented me about how I play the drums or sing it always makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I'm polite and say thanks and that I'm just trying to do my best. I also follow up with if I have any talent it's because of God and I'm just doing it for Him. It's not always easy doing what I do. I enjoy making music, but in some ways it would be easier on me if I wasn't on the worship team. It's kind of a double edged sword.

Veretax
Apr 22nd 2009, 05:03 PM
Well, that's cool and all. I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, so I won't hassle you about it anymore. I don't know. I guess when I hear somebody say things like the worship band is being fleshly it puts me on the defensive a bit because I'm on a worship band at my church and it makes me feel like I'm going to be accused of being that way simply because I play the drums and sing and that bothers me. I honestly don't do what I do for any recognition and it isn't for my benefit. When people occasionally have complimented me about how I play the drums or sing it always makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I'm polite and say thanks and that I'm just trying to do my best. I also follow up with if I have any talent it's because of God and I'm just doing it for Him. It's not always easy doing what I do. I enjoy making music, but in some ways it would be easier on me if I wasn't on the worship team. It's kind of a double edged sword.

and that's the right prespective to have IMO, I sing in the Choir at church, sometimes do special numbers, and I deflect the credit always, and feel uncomfortable.

TrophyofGrace
Apr 26th 2009, 07:50 PM
I prefer the old hymns in the worship part of the service. I don't mind some contemporary stuff as special music though.

Jer*6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

canvasjockey
Apr 28th 2009, 06:01 AM
I love the hymns, the contemporary music bores me to tears, but there's a lot of hymns, along with Handel's Messiah and Schubert's Ave Maria, that move me to tears.

Unfortunately the church we're going to is very contemporary, with a full band and worship team. I struggle to get in the right frame of mind during the services.

I would like just hymns, though I accept that a lot of people connect to the contemporary which makes it OK with me.

bagofseed
Apr 28th 2009, 06:09 AM
I am more impacted by the spirit of the music.

I was thrown out of my last church for speaking up against pride in worship songs. It was just the tip of the hidden reef sticking up out of he supposed safe harbor.

Veretax
Apr 28th 2009, 11:59 AM
I love the hymns, the contemporary music bores me to tears, but there's a lot of hymns, along with Handel's Messiah and Schubert's Ave Maria, that move me to tears.

Unfortunately the church we're going to is very contemporary, with a full band and worship team. I struggle to get in the right frame of mind during the services.

I would like just hymns, though I accept that a lot of people connect to the contemporary which makes it OK with me.

What I don't like is some of the repetitive worship songs that repeat the same verse over and over again.

For example. I Love Rich Mullins "Awesome God", but to only sing the chorus is always a disappointment to me, that song has a lot of power in its verses IMO. It is not Contemporary music per say that's the problem but rehash, recycle, and use the same music till they are worn out is a bad idea in any Church Hymns or not.

I am more impacted by the spirit of the music.

I was thrown out of my last church for speaking up against pride in worship songs. It was just the tip of the hidden reef sticking up out of he supposed safe harbor.

Interesting, you got my interest, how would you say pride could be found in worship songs? Could you describe it?

TrophyofGrace
Apr 28th 2009, 12:54 PM
What I don't like is some of the repetitive worship songs that repeat the same verse over and over again.

We call 'em 7-11 choruses...seven words repeated eleven times! :D

bagofseed
Apr 29th 2009, 01:24 AM
Interesting, you got my interest, how would you say pride could be found in worship songs? Could you describe it?

I focused worship. (listen for how many times you say I in a worship song)
Grand pronouncement about ourselves.(lies)