PDA

View Full Version : How often does your church have communion?

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 07:23 PM
Once a week
Typically more than once a month
About once a month
Maybe one a quarter - only a few times each year
Never

Ninna
Aug 3rd 2008, 08:35 PM
Our church has it once a quarter.

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 11:57 PM
Ours too - at best. It's not a biggee to me, but it should be more often than that.

smokey the dog
Aug 4th 2008, 05:17 AM
Actually our church has communion every other month.

militarywife
Aug 4th 2008, 12:47 PM
We just shared communion last night. It is so beautiful and such a loving, humbling time.

:hug:

lbeaty1981
Aug 4th 2008, 01:19 PM
I put "once a quarter," but that's not entirely true. Every Sunday, there are a couple of stations set up in the front of the sanctuary where people can come up and take communion if they want. About once every 2-3 months, we'll all take communion together.

Steve M
Aug 4th 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm an 'every Sunday' ...

Whispering Grace
Aug 4th 2008, 04:06 PM
I think we only do communion a couple of times a year. I've been at the church now for a year and 4 months, and we've taken it 3 times...one of those was unscheduled (we'd had a glorious time worshiping Jesus Christ and the pastor thought it was a perfect time to have communion).

I'd prefer it much more often.

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 04:53 PM
I'm an 'every Sunday' ...
Do you like having it that often, or does it get to be"old hat"?

BD

Steve M
Aug 4th 2008, 05:04 PM
Do you like having it that often, or does it get to be"old hat"?

BD
A little of both? There's always that tendency to trivialize that which happens often, but that's true of the entire experience, isn't it? And I think that the continual reminder can be a good thing, if we don't trivialize it.

SpokenFor
Aug 4th 2008, 05:05 PM
my current church does it the first Sunday of every month. I used to attend a Lutheran church that did it every Sunday. I felt like the every Sunday was a bit rote..but then the whole service felt a bit rote at that particular church. :rolleyes:

Organist
Aug 5th 2008, 05:28 AM
I used to attend a Lutheran church that did it every Sunday. I felt like the every Sunday was a bit rote..but then the whole service felt a bit rote at that particular church.

Communion services at our Lutheran church (it's a Wisconsin Synod, i.e. WELS, one) are held twice a month, first and third Sundays. The congregation I grew up in ones I attended during college and law school (all three were affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, i.e. identified with acronym ELCA) have all gone to having weekly communion.

Don't feel it is fair to describe it as "a bit rote" since we rotate between different settings and the scripture readings are entirely different every Sunday. First Sunday of the Month we use the "Common Service" (i.e, the "traditional" Lutheran service) the prayers and music in it are entirely different from those on Third Sunday in the "Service of Word and Sacrament" version.

Incidentally, the ELCA Lutheran Churches with their new Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnal now have ten (10) different musical settings and plenty of various options as to prayers to be included, so they can now go several months, before repeating anything and service would feel "a bit rote."

Steve M
Aug 5th 2008, 02:27 PM
Communion services at our Lutheran church (it's a Wisconsin Synod, i.e. WELS, one) are held twice a month, first and third Sundays. The congregation I grew up in ones I attended during college and law school (all three were affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, i.e. identified with acronym ELCA) have all gone to having weekly communion.

Don't feel it is fair to describe it as "a bit rote" since we rotate between different settings and the scripture readings are entirely different every Sunday. First Sunday of the Month we use the "Common Service" (i.e, the "traditional" Lutheran service) the prayers and music in it are entirely different from those on Third Sunday in the "Service of Word and Sacrament" version.

Incidentally, the ELCA Lutheran Churches with their new Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnal now have ten (10) different musical settings and plenty of various options as to prayers to be included, so they can now go several months, before repeating anything and service would feel "a bit rote."
...yeah, that liturgical setup? Would always feel a bit rote to me, no matter how varied the liturgy. No matter how many times a month you took it.