PDA

View Full Version : Best team in major league baseball this year?

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 07:33 PM
California Angels (I know - LA Angels of Anaheim... whatever that means!)
NYY
Boston Red Sox
Tampa Bay Rays
Chicago White Sox
Minnesota Twins
Texas Rangers

Chicago Cubs
Philadelphia Phillies (Phillies? give them a real name!)
Milwaukee Brewers
Arizona Diamondbacks
LA Dodgers
St Louis Cardinals
Florida Marlins

Other? (Get real!) :P

BD

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 07:40 PM
Hey, I'm a Dodger fan. But let's be real... they're .500 right now. Hey, they just got Manny Ramirez. They have the best pitching in the NL... ain't gonna happen.

Now I am not an Angel fan, though I was born and raised there. But look at the stats... 3 games better record than anyone else. Best starting pitching in majors. Best closer in baseball. One of the best hitting teams in baseball, good fielding and the best manager in baseball. And they just got Teixeira from the Braves for almost nothing.

Time for another Angel WS banner.

OK, time for you guys to support your team... or perhaps to dis them. Have they made bad trades recently? ... or none at all?! Do they really care about you, the fan?!

BD

Sherrie
Aug 3rd 2008, 09:41 PM
I will see you at that Dodgers game Tues. night!

We have such good players. Good team work too. But Yadier Molina is by far; one of the best catchers there is.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_425877.jpg

GooooOOOOOoooooo Cards!

Ayala
Aug 3rd 2008, 09:47 PM
My Angels. I refuse to call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Anaheim isn't even in the same friggin county as LA.

Sherrie
Aug 3rd 2008, 10:04 PM
Better get your Root beer and Hot dogs early BadDog! It will be a pretty good game tuesday night.

It will be St. Louis' Carpenter pitching and Dodger's Chad Billingsley pitching.

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 11:44 PM
I will see you at that Dodgers game Tues. night!

We have such good players. Good team work too. But Yadier Molina is by far; one of the best catchers there is.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_425877.jpg

GooooOOOOOoooooo Cards!Well, the Cards have a much better record than the Dodgers. But the Dodgers are only 1 game back in the weak NL West while the Cards are in 3rd place & 5.5 games out in the NL Central. :rolleyes: Hey, no complaints here.

Manny Ramirez has gone 7 for 12 since they got him (3 games) with 5 RBIs and 2 HR. Our hitting is so weak that he's really energized them.

But gotta say, those Molina brothers are all great defensive catchers (Don't know why the Angels got rid of the two they once had), but Russell Martin is the best catcher on the planet. :P Hey - you guys have the best non-chemically-induced player on the planet in Pujols.

Plus you have the former Angel Troy Glaus and the former Dodger Cesar Izturis.

The Cards and Dodgers have played something like 1900 games over the decades, and are almost dead even.

BD

BadDog
Aug 3rd 2008, 11:48 PM
My Angels. I refuse to call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Anaheim isn't even in the same friggin county as LA.:rofl:

When they lost that court appeal on the name I cracked up... "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." :lol: You know that the city of Anaheim had a contract with the Angels requiring them to have "Anaheim" in the name... Hey, it's still there, kinda. The league should have stepped in - the intent was clear.

I used to live in Santa Ana - moved to Laguna Hills then Aliso Viejo (near Mission Viejo) before moving to Atlanta suburbs 3 years ago. Where's your local?

Oh, you an SC or Bruin FB fan? I've got a poll on college FB, but UCLA didn't make the options - not yet.

BD

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 12:06 AM
Better get your Root beer and Hot dogs early BadDog! It will be a pretty good game tuesday night.

It will be St. Louis' Carpenter pitching and Dodger's Chad Billingsley pitching.Billingsley has actually been the Dodger's best pitcher... his 2nd year in the league. Uh, now with those hot dogs... remember to use mustard. And think I'll go with either Dr. Pepper or Rock Island Ginger Ale. (Whew! is it strong - kinda like Vernor's.)

BD

Ayala
Aug 4th 2008, 12:59 AM
:rofl:

When they lost that court appeal on the name I cracked up... "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." :lol: You know that the city of Anaheim had a contract with the Angels requiring them to have "Anaheim" in the name... Hey, it's still there, kinda. The league should have stepped in - the intent was clear.

I used to live in Santa Ana - moved to Laguna Hills then Aliso Viejo (near Mission Viejo) before moving to Atlanta suburbs 3 years ago. Where's your local?

Oh, you an SC or Bruin FB fan? I've got a poll on college FB, but UCLA didn't make the options - not yet.

BD

Next thing you know, they'll want to stake claim to Disneyland too.

I live in Murrieta (southwest Riverside county).

And yes...I'm for the Bruins. :P

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 03:10 AM
Next thing you know, they'll want to stake claim to Disneyland too.

I live in Murrieta (southwest Riverside county).

And yes...I'm for the Bruins. :PWell their head coach, D-coordinator and O-coordinator are top notch, so in a couple of years, they'll be there. But they don't have the material yet to compete for a Nat'l championship yet.

I grad. from UCR. Been a Trojan fan all my life.

BD

CubsFan218
Aug 4th 2008, 03:14 AM
This is the year :pp

karenoka27
Aug 4th 2008, 03:15 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DW338DRRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ayala
Aug 4th 2008, 03:23 AM
Well their head coach, D-coordinator and O-coordinator are top notch, so in a couple of years, they'll be there. But they don't have the material yet to compete for a Nat'l championship yet.

I grad. from UCR.

Yeah...I've got hope for the future. UCR huh? Cool cool.

Been a Trojan fan all my life.

It would figure. :P

holyrokker
Aug 4th 2008, 03:40 AM
I think the Anaheim Angels (they aren't a Los Angeles team) are probably the best team in baseball right now.

holyrokker
Aug 4th 2008, 03:43 AM
Well, the Cards have a much better record than the Dodgers. But the Dodgers are only 1 game back in the weak NL West while the Cards are in 3rd place & 5.5 games out in the NL Central. :rolleyes: Hey, no complaints here.

Manny Ramirez has gone 7 for 12 since they got him (3 games) with 5 RBIs and 2 HR. Our hitting is so weak that he's really energized them.

But gotta say, those Molina brothers are all great defensive catchers (Don't know why the Angels got rid of the two they once had), but Russell Martin is the best catcher on the planet. :P Hey - you guys have the best non-chemically-induced player on the planet in Pujols.

Plus you have the former Angel Troy Glaus and the former Dodger Cesar Izturis.

The Cards and Dodgers have played something like 1900 games over the decades, and are almost dead even.

BD
I'm looking forward to the Cardinals/Dodgers series this week. It should be exciting baseball.

holyrokker
Aug 4th 2008, 03:45 AM
By the way - I think it will be Angels vs Dodgers in the WS this year.

Angels will win.

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 06:14 PM
This is the year :pp
Wouldn't it be cool if they did it this year? If they make it to the WS I'll definitely be rooting for them. How long has it been? And those &%$#@* Yankees have won it what 26 or 27 times!

BD

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 06:15 PM

Angels will win.Freeway series, huh?! Now that would be cool. I'm a Dodger fan, but if it came down to that, uh, the Angels would win. Hope I'm wrong.

BD

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 06:16 PM
I'm looking forward to the Cardinals/Dodgers series this week. It should be exciting baseball.You a Dodger fan?

BadDog
Aug 4th 2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah...I've got hope for the future. UCR huh? Cool cool.

It would figure. :P
Yeah, and Neuheisel has that positive spirit which is needed there now. Also, IMO Norm Chow is the best O-coordinator in College FB, bar none.

Of course, I read recently that after Carroll's 1st year, when the offense didn't fare very well, that Pete began to make some of the calls in the game and he insisted in putting in a robust running game to go with Chow's passing game.

Carson Palmer is a great Chow fan, but credits Carroll with revamping the offense. Don't know if that's really true though. I do know that it worries me having Neuheisel and Chow there... and Neuheisel tried to recruit Norton from USC (he played for UCLA) - almost succeeded. :eek:

Steve Sarkisian is the Trojans offensive coordinator. I think he's a good one, and could become very good. He played for Norm Chow at BYU, winning the Sammy Baugh award as the nation's best QB. He had a QB rating over 170 for the year - incredible. Both years he was their QB they lost only one game, and upset teams in their bowl game. But that said, I'd still like to have Norm around... but if he was, then Sarkisian probably would have moved on. He'll be a head coach soon - who knows, perhaps SC's in a few. I think that's why Pete kinda gave a little nudge to Norm - by letting Kiflin and lter Sarkisian begin to do the game play-calling. Kinda irritated Norm.

BD

hammers
Aug 4th 2008, 07:47 PM
Brew Crew all the way baby!

BadDog
Aug 5th 2008, 12:02 AM
They look good.

BD

BCF
Aug 5th 2008, 12:42 AM
I'm a Phillies fan. I don't know why, I guess because I am from Pa. Coarse I could be a Pittsburgh fan. except everyone else in my family likes them, so I decided to be the odd ball like the Phillies:lol:

BadDog
Aug 5th 2008, 12:45 AM
Hey, we got a Phillie fan here! I can still picture their mascot with his funny snout. :P

The best 3rd baseman in baseball history played for them (Mike Schmidt). When the team started to play a little hardball with him regarding his contract, he retired early. I gotta respect him for that. But who knows how many HR he might have had - 600? (He had 548.) He was MVP 3 times and played his entire career for the Phillies. He had earlier made concessions when he could have gone the free agency route and gotten rich, and chose to stay with the Phillies for less money. So when he was getting older, they gave him a hard time. They owed him. He showed that he was a team player, but the owners didn't reciprocate with the same loyalty IMO. (Don't get me started on this.) I think he quit in the middle of the season. The only WS Philadelphia ever won was powered by his bat (48 HR - before the juice-it-up period - 2nd best in the league was 35) in 1980 I think.

In the 70s the Phillies and Dodgers were always fighting it out in the post-season. Three times, I think.

BD

Gulah Papyrus
Aug 5th 2008, 12:54 AM
http://mattklitzke.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/brewer-logo.JPG

BadDog
Aug 5th 2008, 01:18 AM
I'm a Phillies fan. I don't know why, I guess because I am from Pa. Coarse I could be a Pittsburgh fan. except everyone else in my family likes them, so I decided to be the odd ball like the Phillies:lol:Hey, I originally chose the USC Trojans over the UCLA Bruins partially because my family were more Bruin fans. But I started following the Dodgers because of my Dad.

BD

BCF
Aug 5th 2008, 02:17 AM
Hey, we got a Phillie fan here! I can still picture their mascot with his funny snout. :P

The best 3rd baseman in baseball history played for them (Mike Schmidt). When the team started to play a little hardball with him regarding his contract, he retired early. I gotta respect him for that. But who knows how many HR he might have had - 600? (He had 548.) He was MVP 3 times and played his entire career for the Phillies. He had earlier made concessions when he could have gone the free agency route and gotten rich, and chose to stay with the Phillies for less money. So when he was getting older, they gave him a hard time. They owed him. He showed that he was a team player, but the owners didn't reciprocate with the same loyalty IMO. (Don't get me started on this.) I think he quit in the middle of the season. The only WS Philadelphia ever won was powered by his bat (48 HR - before the juice-it-up period - 2nd best in the league was 35) in 1980 I think.

In the 70s the Phillies and Dodgers were always fighting it out in the post-season. Three times, I think.

BD

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Yessssssssss.....the 70sssssssss.

What a messed up person I was back then:lol:. Anyway, yeah those were good years for the Phillies. They had good pitching, good D and good hitting all around. But back then playing baseball was not about getting rich like it is today. Back then the players played because they actually liked playing the game. Not because they got paid 21 million dollars a year.

BCF
Aug 5th 2008, 02:23 AM
Hey, I originally chose the USC Trojans over the UCLA Bruins partially because my family were more Bruin fans. But I started following the Dodgers because of my Dad.

BD

Man isn't it nice when you get to rag on them when your team beats up on there's. Of coarse it really stinks when your team loses though because you never hear the end of it.

At least I don't anyway.:D

BadDog
Aug 5th 2008, 03:54 PM
Man isn't it nice when you get to rag on them when your team beats up on there's. Of coarse it really stinks when your team loses though because you never hear the end of it.

At least I don't anyway.:DEspecially when you're the Lone Ranger and they have a possey! :D

Hey, I root for the USC Trojans (FB) and living in Georgia, what with Georgia ranked #1 to start the year... I'll never hear the end of it in my classes! (Why do they rank them before they even play one game? Makes no sense. Wait until after the 1st game. They don't do that in other sports. They don't have a pre-season ranking for say the Western division in the NL...)

BD

Sherrie
Aug 6th 2008, 11:16 AM
Cardinals defeated the Dodgers, 6-4, in 11 innings. Ughhhhhhh...the rain delays tho! 2 more games to go. We play this evening, and then tomorrow afternoon. Then off to Chicago the cards go! The Dodgers will go home to play 3 games with San Francisco Giants.

I am sorry holyrokker and BadDog; I just don't see this at all. ;)

BadDog
Aug 6th 2008, 01:38 PM
Cardinals defeated the Dodgers, 6-4, in 11 innings. Ughhhhhhh...the rain delays tho! 2 more games to go. We play this evening, and then tomorrow afternoon. Then off to Chicago the cards go! The Dodgers will go home to play 3 games with San Francisco Giants.

I am sorry holyrokker and BadDog; I just don't see this at all. ;)
Good game. We had a visitor and my eldest son's birthday was recent and we hadn't celebrated it yet. Ended up at TacoMaC and didn't get back until nearly midnight.

But did see the Dodgers, behind 4-0 entering the 9th tie it up to send it into extra innings. So because of those rain delays we were able to see some of the game.

So I guess the Dodgers will just take this series 2-1... no sweep. But I gotta tell you, I get nervous everytime I see Pujols come up to bat with men on base. :o

BD

BadDog
Aug 7th 2008, 02:21 AM
OK, Dodgers down 1-0, made it 3-1 on strength of Manny's bat. Then with one out the Cards loaded the bases and Pujols came up. Bases loaded, one out. I said walk him. But would they listen to me? First pitch... grand slam!

BD

Sherrie
Aug 7th 2008, 04:33 AM
What player's! What an awesome hit! Pujols...Grand Slam! Then back to back....Ludwick's 29th home run of the season! And We really take the lead! Sorry BadDog, but it was another win for the Cards. :pp

BadDog
Aug 7th 2008, 01:02 PM
What player's! What an awesome hit! Pujols...Grand Slam! Then back to back....Ludwick's 29th home run of the season! And We really take the lead! Sorry BadDog, but it was another win for the Cards. :ppI told em to walk Pujols... so they walked in the go-ahead run? And IMO without Pujols blast, Ludwick doesn't hit it out. The final score would have been Dodgers 6, SL 5. :rolleyes: OK, would you believe (in the words of Maxwell Smart) that they would have had a grand slam regardless?

OK, it has been fun, both games, watching the Pujols-Ramirez show.

BD

Sherrie
Aug 7th 2008, 03:21 PM
28 year old Albert Pujols, has 6 career grand slam's, 23 HR this year, and makes $13,870,949 for 2008.

30 year old Ryan Ludwick has 29 HR this year and only has 5 years experience. His slary is only $411,000 for 2008.

Todays 1:15 game (2:15 for you) is Kershaw vs. Loshe

Kershaw's career only started this year and Lohse's career started in 2001.

BadDog
Aug 8th 2008, 04:45 PM
28 year old Albert Pujols, has 6 career grand slam's, 23 HR this year, and makes $13,870,949 for 2008.

30 year old Ryan Ludwick has 29 HR this year and only has 5 years experience. His salary is only $411,000 for 2008.

Todays 1:15 game (2:15 for you) is Kershaw vs. Loshe

Kershaw's career only started this year and Lohse's career started in 2001.I take it you like Ludwick... :P Well, Pujols has earned the reputation as the best player in the NL. You gotta pay your dues. How many HR have they each had over the past 4 or 5 years? I bet Pujols has many more. And if I recall, he was out for awhile - injured.

If anyone in baseball has earned a $14 million dollar payday, it's Pujols. Also, what's Ludwick's average? Pujols has probably averaged .325 or more since he's been in the bigs.

Pujols is the man. When Ludwick comes up, I take notice :cool: when Pujols comes up... :eek:

There are several players in the bigs making more than Pujols... when Pujols contract comes up, he'll make over $20 mil per year - easy.

BD

BadDog
Aug 8th 2008, 04:46 PM
Hey, Dodgers finally took a game. (4-1) And Manny hit another one out. Cool.

BD

Sherrie
Aug 8th 2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah we did not want to skunk ya. I said, "ok guys BadDog can't look to bad now, let them have this game." :P :) ;)

I like all our team players. I am not crazy about most of our pitchers. But Troy Glaus and Molina are my favorite. And Molina to me is the best catcher there is. :D

Pujols is the man. When Ludwick comes up, I take notice :cool: when Pujols comes up... :eek:

Just make sure your tongue is sticking out when you do that! :lol:

Well now the Cards are off to Chicago..........

Chicago Cubs Vs. St. Louis Cardinals today 1:20 pm Wrigley Field

We will need to get serious now. No playing around. Just play ball!