PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Which One is the More Correct Word

manichunter
Aug 5th 2008, 08:14 AM
Which one is the more correct word pertaining to the believers manner of living and worshipping God? Having Faith in God or Trust in God.

The devil is a wise enemy in deceptive in his works against believers. He is the master of playing with words. This is his greatest weapon, getting believers and unbelievers to accept his words regarding Scripture in our interpretations and prospectives.

Can I faith a thing? Is faith ever a verb? This actually makes a difference I believe in how we walk in victory and obedience towards God. Are we called to act in a specific manner or take on the identity of a particular symbol of representation?

tt1106
Aug 5th 2008, 09:12 AM
I think of them as almost the same words with just a slight difference,

I looked both words up and one of the definitions of trust was:something committed or entrusted to one's care for use or safekeeping, as an office, duty, or the like; responsibility; charge.

I thought this was especially good.
I have faith which allows me to trust. Because I believe, I trust that God's promise is true.

Slug1
Aug 5th 2008, 10:11 AM
For me, Faith comes first cause how can I trust God, if I don't believe in Him first.

Athanasius
Aug 5th 2008, 10:56 AM
Well... I don't think one is more correct than the other. For one, I think you can have faith in God without having trust in God.

graceforme
Aug 5th 2008, 11:25 AM
I think they go hand in hand. Trust in God is born out of faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Slug1
Aug 5th 2008, 11:30 AM
Well... I don't think one is more correct than the other. For one, I think you can have faith in God without having trust in God.That's why once a person begins to believe in God through faith, He can then begin to minister to them to gain trust. Some trust fully, some don't... those that don't have to experience God who they have put faith in and then as trust grows... faith is made stronger.

At least that's how it was for me. I don't know if this is how it's for everyone.

RogerW
Aug 5th 2008, 01:17 PM
Which one is the more correct word pertaining to the believers manner of living and worshipping God? Having Faith in God or Trust in God.

The devil is a wise enemy in deceptive in his works against believers. He is the master of playing with words. This is his greatest weapon, getting believers and unbelievers to accept his words regarding Scripture in our interpretations and prospectives.

Can I faith a thing? Is faith ever a verb? This actually makes a difference I believe in how we walk in victory and obedience towards God. Are we called to act in a specific manner or take on the identity of a particular symbol of representation?

Faith is translated in the NT from the Greek pistis which comes from peitho - a primary verb; to convince (by argument, true or false); by analogy, to pacify or conciliate (by other fair means); reflexively or passively, to assent (to evidence or authority), to rely (by inward certainty):--agree, assure, believe, have confidence, be (wax) conflent, make friend, obey, persuade, trust, yield.

Trust is translated in the NT from the Greek elpizo coming from elpis - a primary elpo (to anticipate, usually with pleasure); expectation (abstractly or concretely) or confidence:--faith, hope.

watchinginawe
Aug 5th 2008, 01:26 PM
Can I faith a thing? Is faith ever a verb? This actually makes a difference I believe in how we walk in victory and obedience towards God. Are we called to act in a specific manner or take on the identity of a particular symbol of representation?Thank you RogerW for an excellent post. manichunter, as Roger offered, faith is a verb. So there really isn't a trick of the devil at work here in just the words used. Perhaps a better comparison can be drawn between the words believe and faith. There are lots of analogies that are used to draw this distinction. One I heard recently was this:

A high wire trapeze performer was addressing an audience and asked how many believed that he could catch a person in mid air and deliver them safely to the other side. Everyone raised their hand. Then the performer asked for volunteers who had faith that he could do that. ;)

I liked that.

God Bless!

Slug1
Aug 5th 2008, 02:00 PM
Hahaha, just like I have faith that my truck will get me to work everyday but I will never trust that it always will, cause I know it'll break down (which it has). So I will never "trust" in it.

God will never break down and as a person learns this through their faith and relationship with Him they will reach a point that they can wholeheartedly say... I have faith in God and now trust Him cause He has never failed me.

Friend of I AM
Aug 5th 2008, 02:54 PM

Either one is fine. Don't get caught up with words. God looks at the heart, and can tell what a person means.

manichunter
Aug 5th 2008, 04:15 PM
It seems like some believe that saints can possess faith as to own it. I will study even farther. Thanks....... greatly.......... :pp

BadDog
Aug 5th 2008, 04:50 PM
I think they go hand in hand. Trust in God is born out of faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.I think you've hit the nail on the head. We cannot choose to believe, but we can choose to trust in Someone (or something) about whom/which we've become persuaded is truth.

Incidentally, the Greek word (PISTEUW) has both ideas in the gloss.

BD

Rullion Green
Aug 5th 2008, 05:35 PM
Without Faith it's impossible to please God. Heb 11:6