PDA

View Full Version : Proof Texting

IMINXTC
Aug 13th 2008, 11:11 PM
Proof Texting: The art of tossing as many verses as possible, which seem to support my view, not always in context, at my opponent, till he or she succumbs to my reasoning or just goes away. A tactic used, often successfully, by politicians and disciples of rhetoric 101.

Rather than the more demanding discipline of point-counter-point, which carefully considers the views of each side, addressing each view in llight of Biblical context, (that's how the old-timers did it), I just keep stirring the pot, lest the subject be allowed to cool, and a resolution become possible for either side.

Rhetoric 101: You need not be right to win the argument.

Friend of I AM
Aug 13th 2008, 11:18 PM
Proof Texting: The art of tossing as many verses as possible, which seem to support my view, not always in context, at my opponent, till he or she succumbs to my reasoning or just goes away. A tactic used, often successfully, by politicians and disciples of rhetoric 101.

Rather than the more demanding discipline of point-counter-point, which carefully considers the views of each side, addressing each view in llight of Biblical context, (that's how the old-timers did it), I just keep stirring the pot, lest the subject be allowed to cool, and a resolution become possible for either side.

Rhetoric 101: You need not be right to win the argument.

Lol. That's a good point. We need to be careful and make sure that when discussing things as members of the body, we do so with grace and try to not be over-chastising or overly sensitive when giving/receiving our opinions/views of scriptures to others. With myself I can be a bit of a perfectionist when asserting something I've learned, so if I see something that is really off-base and needs to be corrected I'll do so quickly without a lot of nice-nice talk thrown in.

I've learned that the best way to do this is generally by posting scriptures, as oppossed to voicing my opinion. We do need to be careful though that we don't just pull scriptures out of context in hopes of them supporting whatever our personal agenda is, and pray that we are lead by the spirit when we testify. I hope I've never come across as rude or condescending to others with my testimonies, if I have I sincerely apologize to anyone who has taken them as more than just me testifying what I've learned of the gospel through the Holy Spirit.

God bless in Christ,

Stephen

humbled
Aug 14th 2008, 09:09 PM
While I agree with the general principle of your post, there is not always a need to post the entire passage to get your point across.

The NT writers ALL proof-texted (sp?) because they were getting the general idea of the passage with the main verse. That is typically what I am doing when I present a single verse in a conversation.

But yes, there are times where some will hammer another into silence with random verses from all over the bible that merely have the word freewill (for example) completely dismissing the context. And you're absolutely right that silencing your opponent does not necessarily (in fact, rarely does it) mean you've won the argument.

Sure hope this doesn't turn into a freewill thread, now :lol: