PDA

View Full Version : What I've Learned from The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Adam168
Aug 21st 2008, 11:43 PM
I'm only on page 70 so more will follow as I get further along in the book. So here it is:

We bring glory to God in 5 ways:1)by worshiping him 2)by loving other believers 3)by becoming like Jesus 4)by serving others with our gifts 5)by telling others about him.
God promises eternal rewards for doing the above.
It's not about you.
It's all for him.
Psalm 119:19-I am here on earth for just a little while.
You exist for his benefit, his glory, his purpose, and his delight.
You are a child of God, and you bring pleasure to God like nothing else he has ever created.
Anything you do that brings pleasure to God is an act of worship.
We often forget that God has emotions, too.
Worship is a lifestyle.
EVERY part of a church service is an act of worship:praying, Scripture reading, singing, silence, being still, listening to a sermon, taking notes, giving an offering, baptism, and even greeting other worshipers.
Our motive is to bring glory and pleasure to our Creator.
God's heart is touched by passion and commitment.
Worship is not a PART of your life; it IS your life.
Praise should be the first activity when you open your eyes in the morning and the last activity when you close them at night.
Every activity can be transformed into an act of worship when you do it for the praise, glory, and pleasure of God.
Do everything as if you were doing it for Jesus and carry on a continual conversation with him while you do it.
Work becomes worship when you dedicate it to God and perform it with an awareness of his presence.
You were planned for God's pleasure.
The smile of God is the goal of your life. Do things that make him smile.
God smiles when we love him supremely. When we trust him completely. When we obey him wholeheartedly. When we praise and thank him continually. When we use our abilities.
God made you to love you, and he longs for you to love him back.

JesusMySavior
Aug 22nd 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm only on page 70 so more will follow as I get further along in the book. So here it is:

We bring glory to God in 5 ways:1)by worshiping him 2)by loving other believers 3)by becoming like Jesus 4)by serving others with our gifts 5)by telling others about him.
It's not about you.
It's all for him.
You are a child of God, and you bring pleasure to God like nothing else he has ever created.
Worship is a lifestyle.
EVERY part of a church service is an act of worship:praying, Scripture reading, singing, silence, being still, listening to a sermon, taking notes, giving an offering, baptism, and even greeting other worshipers.
Praise should be the first activity when you open your eyes in the morning and the last activity when you close them at night.
Every activity can be transformed into an act of worship when you do it for the praise, glory, and pleasure of God.
Do everything as if you were doing it for Jesus and carry on a continual conversation with him while you do it.
Work becomes worship when you dedicate it to God and perform it with an awareness of his presence.
God smiles when we love him supremely. When we trust him completely. When we obey him wholeheartedly. When we praise and thank him continually. When we use our abilities.

Oh Amen and Amen! We live to worship Him! As your sig says, "Galatians 2:20 - It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me." Praise the Lord for that! We are also temples of the living God (II Corinthians 6:16, Romans 12:1). Yeah!

:hug: Thank you for sharing this!

InRecovery
Aug 22nd 2008, 01:11 AM
My wife and I did the 40-day adventure together! I have reread his book several times since and still listen to it on CD when I'm driving. God has certainly touched many lives through Rick Warren, his books and ministries.

InRecovery

Ron Brown
Aug 22nd 2008, 03:42 AM
I'm not bashing Rick Warren, but he teaches some messed up stuff.

Warren promotes the teachings of Henri Nouwen, who is a catholic mystic.

Warren mixes New Age techniques with Bible-based prayer and meditation.

Warren uses Jungian occult-based psychology to identify a Christian's personality and spiritual gifts.

Warren trains Mormon leaders in his pastoral programs.

Warren is also connected to the Templeton Foundation.

Warren has teamed up with Ken Blanchard, a New age, meditation, yoga, Buddhist.

Athanasius
Aug 22nd 2008, 03:59 AM

Warren uses Jungian occult-based psychology to identify a Christian's personality and spiritual gifts.

Can't believe I'm about to say this...

Rick Warren has some very dangerous theology. Also off importance - which you did not mention - was his support of the Emergent Church. However, and keeping in mind where Adam gleaned his post (The Purpose Driven Life), was there anything posted that was scripturally incorrect?

I know there are glaring inconsistencies with the book, for instance: it's not about you, it's about Him (and then the rest of the book being about you), but those are best left for another time, I think. In this case the teacher needs to perhaps be separated from the teaching.

So my immediate question is this: is Adam's post, these teachings of Rick Warren, going to help someone mature in Christ? So let's focus on the immediate teachings within the book - posted in this thread - and not the the things that have influenced Warren (Robert Schuller) nor the things that Warren supports (see above).

Ron Brown
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:20 AM
Can't believe I'm about to say this...

Rick Warren has some very dangerous theology. Also off importance - which you did not mention - was his support of the Emergent Church. However, and keeping in mind where Adam gleaned his post (The Purpose Driven Life), was there anything posted that was scripturally incorrect?

I know there are glaring inconsistencies with the book, for instance: it's not about you, it's about Him (and then the rest of the book being about you), but those are best left for another time, I think. In this case the teacher needs to perhaps be separated from the teaching.

So my immediate question is this: is Adam's post, these teachings of Rick Warren, going to help someone mature in Christ? So let's focus on the immediate teachings within the book - posted in this thread - and not the the things that have influenced Warren (Robert Schuller) nor the things that Warren supports (see above).

Just trying to warn people to be careful of what they read when it comes to what Mr. Warren writes.

Athanasius
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:25 AM
Just trying to warn people to be careful of what they read when it comes to what Mr. Warren writes.

Just so you know, I definitely agree with you.

SpokenFor
Aug 22nd 2008, 01:41 PM
In this case the teacher needs to perhaps be separated from the teaching.

I'm not being sarcastic here, but genuinely asking: how, is one supposed to do that?

I've not read "purpose driven life/church" books because I have heard enough about Mr. Warrens false teachings to stay away. But...I'll agree that the list posted by the OP looks pretty good...and lines up with scripture from my understanding as a fairly new Christian. But I would think it would have to be a pretty mature christian who could read the entire book and be able to pick out exactly which sections are wrong. More than likely, a reader is going to pick up the book, agree with those things in the OP's list, and then end up agreeing with the rest of the book.

I've heard this saying a lot lately (particularly by my pastor:confused), to "separate the teacher from the teaching" to "not throw the baby out with the bathwater" and to "eat the meat and spit out the bones." To me, these phrases are all wanting me to be inclusive, ecumenical, and willing to mix God with other religions. I mean, I could pull out some teachings by the Dali Lama or Benjamin Creme and find some things that line up with scriptures.

I have not been able to find any of those sayings in the Bible. If they are in there, could you please give me the reference? Again, I'm truly asking this because I have heard these sayings a LOT lately and I'm trying to sort out exactly what I'm supposed to do with that.

superwoman8977
Aug 22nd 2008, 04:40 PM
I have read the book Purpose Driven Life and I have gotten alot out of the book. I guess I am what you call a new-age Christian because yes I love the Lord and I have an awesome relationship with Him, but for someone to sit there and bash a teacher, bash teaching is just very hard for me to take. I just went through one of the most devastating times in my life with my divorce and now the issues in my divorce, one of those run to the cross or run away from the cross things that many of us go through. Yes I got comfort from the word but I also in my time of devastation (for lack of a better word) I read Purpose Driven Life and now I am reading Joel Osteen's books, I have also read a couple of Joyce Meyer's books as well as one by Juanita Bynum. The words of those teachers have kept me going. As I read through their books I sit there with my bible and look up the scriptures and meditate on the scriptures they give. In all of this I have found this awesome want to KNOW the Lord not just know ABOUT Him. There is a huge difference. In fact I even have the principles of the Purpose Driven Life from a class I took on it when it first came out and I hav moved like 7 times and each time that list has moved with me and has the same spot of honor --on my refrigerator in each home I have lived in where I can see them each and everyday. To the Poster: I got alot out of you posting what you are learning through the book and I pray that it makes you a better person as you study that book, I know it did me. Dont let people tell you any different about Rick Warren I have found him and Robert Schuller, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, Juanita Bynum, and others to be very uplifting. There are so many people that have like this list "What you need to do to be a Christian" and really Christ tells us to love others and have a realtionship with Him...thats all we need to do.

Adam168
Aug 22nd 2008, 06:19 PM
Superwoman, thanks a lot. :) I'm glad you got a lot out of it. I did and have as well. Far as Warren's teaching, this is the first I've heard of people having a problem with him. I don't know about him and I don't know about his specific teachings but this is a very good book to learn from. People who don't like him can simply not read the thread. Here's more I've learned since my last post on the subject:

God longs for you to know him and spend time with him.
What God wants most from you is a relationship.
In what areas of your life do you need to trust God completely? Trusting is an act of worship. Just as parents are pleased when children trust their love and wisdom, your faith makes God happy.
Why is obedience so pleasing to God? Because it proves you really love him.
Few things feel better than receiving heartfelt praise and appreciation from someone else. God loves it, too.
When we give God enjoyment, our own hearts are filled with joy!
We praise God for who he is, and we thank God for what he has done.
God enjoys watching every detail of your life.
Like a proud parent, God especially enjoys watching you use the talents and abilities he has given you.
Every act of enjoyment becomes an act of worship when you thank God for it.
When you are sleeping, God gazes at you with love, because you were his idea.
God doesn't wait for you to reach maturity before he starts liking you. He loves and enjoys you at every stage of your spiritual development.
What God looks at is the attitude of your heart:Is pleasing him your deepest desire?
When you live in light of eternity, your focus changes from "How much pleasure am I getting out of life?" to "How much pleasure is God getting out of my life?"
Will you make pleasing God the goal of your life?There is nothing that God won't do for the person totally absorbed with this goal.
Offering yourself to God is what worship is all about.
True worship happens when you give yourself completely to God.
God wants your life-all of it. 95% is not enough.
How do you know God loves you?He gives you many evidences:God says he loves you; you're never out of his sight; he cares about every detail of your life;he gave you the capacity to enjoy all kinds of pleasure; he has good plans for your life; he forgives you; and he is lovingly patient with you. God loves you infinitely more than you can imagine.
If you want to know how much you matter to God, look at Jesus with his arms outstretched on the cross, saying, "I love you this much! I'd rather die than live without you."

Semi-tortured
Aug 22nd 2008, 07:03 PM
From someone who attended Warren's church, I can speak from experience. He is VERY charasmatic. He can rope you in and make you feel real good about yourself and your life no matter how you are living it. They pass out little pieces of paper with the days lessions for you to fill in the blanks on and follow along with much like a Junior High professor would do.

But the more you look at these notes, the more you realize it's one verse with his points followed by another verse with his points. He chooses very "liberal" translations to pull his verses from. Most of the time the verses have nothing to do with each other and are taken out of context. NOT ONCE in the year I went there did he open up the Bible and start reading from and and teaching it. You realize after a while that his services are self help stradegies that he has come up with and he looks for Bible verses to back up what he thinks.

Is he "purpose-ly" (pun intended) doing this? I can't say for sure. The dude seems VERY selfless and he is NOT in this to make gobs of money like some of the televangelists you see. He lives in the same house he always has and he drives a Ford. But he is misguided in a lot of his teachings.

I also would be interested in what capacity he was involved in with some of the people on Ron Brown's list earlier in the thread. Was it him taking good ideas by these people that didn't go against God's word, or was it deeper than that? Because I hate to break it to everyone, non-Christians and people of other faiths sometimes have very valuable insights that Chrisitans can use. Not saying to use their philosphies when it comes to views on who and what God is, but I've heard some very wise truths that line up with the Bible come out of non-Christians

Athanasius
Aug 22nd 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm not being sarcastic here, but genuinely asking: how, is one supposed to do that?

I've not read "purpose driven life/church" books because I have heard enough about Mr. Warrens false teachings to stay away. But...I'll agree that the list posted by the OP looks pretty good...and lines up with scripture from my understanding as a fairly new Christian. But I would think it would have to be a pretty mature christian who could read the entire book and be able to pick out exactly which sections are wrong. More than likely, a reader is going to pick up the book, agree with those things in the OP's list, and then end up agreeing with the rest of the book.

I've heard this saying a lot lately (particularly by my pastor:confused), to "separate the teacher from the teaching" to "not throw the baby out with the bathwater" and to "eat the meat and spit out the bones." To me, these phrases are all wanting me to be inclusive, ecumenical, and willing to mix God with other religions. I mean, I could pull out some teachings by the Dali Lama or Benjamin Creme and find some things that line up with scriptures.

I have not been able to find any of those sayings in the Bible. If they are in there, could you please give me the reference? Again, I'm truly asking this because I have heard these sayings a LOT lately and I'm trying to sort out exactly what I'm supposed to do with that.

There's nothing in scripture that would resemble 'separate the teacher from the teaching' that I'm aware of. Nothing explicit, anyway. Perhaps implicit, but I'm not recalling anything at the moment. We're told to test the spirits, so I guess the real question comes in when the spirit is false but the message is true... Then what?

But as for how to separate the message from the teacher. You take 'X' teaching from 'Y' teacher and you compare it against scripture. I'm speaking solely within Christianity, by the way. Where the Dalai Lama, Benjamin Creme or others are concerned... They aren't preaching Christ. No matter how 'good' their message sounds (and it does sound good), it's still anti-Christ. So just be aware that I'm speaking solely of Christianity.

To be honest, I'd rather just not teach from this person if they're that controversial (and I don't mean in the 'willing to tackle difficult teachings' way). Do I want to teach the Purpose Driven Life to baby Christians but at the same time warn them of Rick Warren? Not really. I'm still teaching from his book, and that must be cool, right? They're still going to look into him. Do they know that he fully supports the emergent church? The emergent church, by the way, denying the authority of scripture and the existence of truth. Do they know Rick Warren was influenced by Robert Schuller, a man who has turned 'sin' into a mere violation of pride? Probably not. At this point in my life I believe it's too dangerous. I'd rather just stay away.

The reason I said what I did is because teachings from the book were posted in this thread. The board would much rather prefer the theology of a teacher, rather than the teacher himself (or herself), be discussed. It does take a mature Christian, and even then... We tend to stumble and fall (hence the immense popularity of this book - whoops).

Adam168
Aug 25th 2008, 09:24 PM
You were designed to worship God-and if you fail to worship him, you will create other things(idols) to give your life to.

Your wisest moments will be those when you say yes to God.

You can not fulfill God's purposes for your life while focusing on your own plans.

Give it all to God:your past regrets, your present problems, your future ambitions, your fears, dreams, weaknesses, habits, hurts, and hang-ups. Mastered by Christ, you can handle anything.

Are you still arguing and struggling with God over his right to do with your life as he pleases?

theBelovedDisciple
Aug 25th 2008, 10:55 PM
You were designed to worship God-and if you fail to worship him, you will create other things(idols) to give your life to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Idols are all around you no matter where you go on this planet... You don't 'create' them....... Just depends on what your definition of an idol is..

In the OT.. they were refered to as blocks of wood and statues... but when Jesus the Christ came.. He brought "LIGHT" to the gospel and gave men and women spiritual sight into this mystery........ when your eyes are opened then you will see and hear and understand what an idol really is......

What does the Bible tell us an idol is? Paul talks and expressly reveals to those reading and understanding what idols 'are' and idol worship in his letters to the Corinthians.....

Is an Idol some inanimate object such as a car? a house? maybe a piece of machinery? is it a persons Job? etc......

According to Paul.. an idol is a 'devil'... and devils possess people and are working in the heavens above us as wicked principalities and powers .. this explained in Ephesians....

Jesus the Christ wants you to 'learn' from Him thru the guidance of the Holy Ghost... and He will place those people around you who are truly filled with the Spirit and walking in truth..... We have to be careful about falling into the trap of 'worshipping' the messenger instead of the message...... unfortuantely that happens alot today... You see many following and worhsipping this man or that man... no matter what the message.. that is very dangerous...

God does not tolerate idolatry.. and Jesus Brought Light to Gospel revealing what idols truly are.. He demonstrated His power over them and gave His disciples the same power... That is no different today.. may many eyes and ears be opened to the truth on idolatry..........

superwoman8977
Aug 26th 2008, 02:33 PM
Okay first of all we are all human. We all have things in our lives we have done that we are not proud of just like I am looking at being a single mom to a child born out of wedlock. Before I am admonished, etc the Lord and I have had a time of repentance, etc but this baby is a miracle and part of God and I still have an obligation to love and care for him/her and I know that God has all this under control. That being said when my husband left me for another woman it created a huge void in my life. I ran away from God for a time and tried to fill that void. Sex, living outside the word, tried all those things to take away the hurt and thats when I found that immersing myself in Him is the only way to start the true healing process. I am just finishing up Beth Moore's book Get out of that Pit! For the 2nd time this summer (got so much out of it the 1st time that I felt I needed to read it again) I have had people tell me I shouldnt be going to church because I am going to be a single mom and that I am divorced and divorce is wrong and because I am thinking I would like to date again. I look at this child I am having as a way to close the door on my old life, my old marriage and to look forward to new and exciting challenges. Rick Warren and countless others want you to know there is hope and vitality in an otherwise "dead" life. I am going to, after Labor Day start reading Purpose Driven Life since it has been so long since I read it the 1st time and I am looking forward to the new insights it will have into the issues in my life. And I have been following along with your insights (this is to the poster) so you do have someone listening and following for that matter.

Churches seem to forget that its our hurting, our victimized, people who have been through the pits that need us the most. Sunday morning for me is like putting healing balm on my wounds. Right now at this time in my life I look forward to Sunday morning as well as to each evening when I have my time with the Lord before I go to bed. Pastor's daughter Sunday said that in front of the church there should be like a Hospital Sign (you know the blue one with the white lettering) except have a "C" on it for the church. Jesus didnt minister to the people who thought they had it all, thought they didnt need Him or His teaching, no Jesus ministered to those who were hurting, downtrodden, at the end of their ropes. People who are in those situations are desperate for anything to fill that void that only God can fill. I know, a few months ago I was there. I love how this poster is in this book and applying this book to his everyday life.

MOTC7
Aug 26th 2008, 04:03 PM
Rick Warren is no different than the smiley preacher in Houston Joel Osteen. Feel good, tickle your ears messages, but again as pointed out, have their roots in frankly demonic areas.

th1bill
Aug 26th 2008, 04:13 PM
Because my former pastor read the Purpose Driven Life and began to follow Rick Warren instead of God our church split and had to be merged to even keep the land. Rick Warren is a very dangerous ear tickler.

Revinius
Aug 26th 2008, 05:18 PM

It's not about you.
It's all for him.
Worship is a lifestyle.

Where's the cross.... where's repentence? what about sin and how screwed up we are?

superwoman8977
Aug 26th 2008, 05:40 PM
Where's the cross.... where's repentence? what about sin and how screwed up we are?

Its about all that but it isnt. Sometimes people get so focused on the negative that they fail to see the positive in Christ

Gentile
Aug 26th 2008, 05:56 PM
I did a little reasearch on this guy, what a wack job, as all christians here why even read garbage like this? This guy is only out for himself and living proof of a false prophet.

The only and only person I like to listen to who seems genuiely a true christian who cares about his calling is Dr. Charles Stanley.

Gentile
Aug 26th 2008, 05:57 PM
Because my former pastor read the Purpose Driven Life and began to follow Rick Warren instead of God our church split and had to be merged to even keep the land. Rick Warren is a very dangerous ear tickler.

Thank you sir! As christians we really need to call people like Rick out. I consider people like Rick the devil in the flesh or exactly like sheep in wolf clothing.

superwoman8977
Aug 26th 2008, 07:31 PM
I did a little reasearch on this guy, what a wack job, as all christians here why even read garbage like this? This guy is only out for himself and living proof of a false prophet.

The only and only person I like to listen to who seems genuiely a true christian who cares about his calling is Dr. Charles Stanley.

Wow and Charles Stanley has his faults too. Not any one teacher is going to be perfect, Charles Stanley now theres a man I dont agree with and the fact that he went through a divorce negates his ability to be in the pulpit but people dont look at that they look at someone who is ministering to the brokenhearted, the downtrodden and then have the nerve to sit here and say the man is an ear tickler. I have read the book and applied some of the priniciples and yes it has changed my life and I am looking forward to reading it again.

tt1106
Aug 26th 2008, 08:06 PM
I couldn't get through the purpose driven life. I'm glad you were able to.
I don't listen to Rick, but I make sure I listen to Joel every Sunday(oK, not every Sunday).
He is the main topic at my Sunday School class.
I can appreciate wanting to read the book, but I would follow it up with "The truth War" by John Macarthur. It's a great read and illustrates how we can't get together on issues.
I am reading "Brothers, we are not professionals" by John Piper and it is AWESOME. A calling to all pastors to preach the truth instead of watering down the Gospel to grow churches.
Best wishes in your walk.

-Blessings.

Gentile
Aug 27th 2008, 12:10 AM
Wow and Charles Stanley has his faults too. Not any one teacher is going to be perfect, Charles Stanley now theres a man I dont agree with and the fact that he went through a divorce negates his ability to be in the pulpit but people dont look at that they look at someone who is ministering to the brokenhearted, the downtrodden and then have the nerve to sit here and say the man is an ear tickler. I have read the book and applied some of the priniciples and yes it has changed my life and I am looking forward to reading it again.

Hey whatever floats your boat. Just because someone went through a divorce you wouldn't listen them? Yes we have another shallow christian on our hands. I would rather listen to ten preachers divorced who speak the word of GOD and reflects on the holy bible than a false teacher like Rick who doesn't like to talk about repentance, yeah that's a winner :hmm:

Adam168
Aug 27th 2008, 01:25 AM
superwoman, hey. :) Don't be bothered by the negative respones or anything. I'm certainly not. Follow what the book says and you'll be alright. Thanks for the support. :) I'm only on about page 75 of the book so there's a good bit left to come.

What area of your life are you holding back from God?
Knowing and loving God is our greatest privilege, and being known and loved is God's greatest pleasure.
God wants to be your best friend. Your relationship to God has many different aspects:God is your Creator and Maker, Lord and Master, Judge, Redeemer, Father, Savior, and much more. But the most shocking truth is this:Almighty God yearns to be your Friend!
You can approach God anytime.
Friendship with God is possible only because of the grace of God and the sacrifice of Jesus.

Revinius
Aug 27th 2008, 03:07 AM
Its about all that but it isnt. Sometimes people get so focused on the negative that they fail to see the positive in Christ

I think it's the other way around. Pastors dont like to talk about sin and how wicked we are cos the congregation may not give as much (or something like that). Besides, sin in light of the cross is a glorious moment.

Rick Warrens gospel is inadequate..

superwoman8977
Aug 27th 2008, 12:40 PM
Hey whatever floats your boat. Just because someone went through a divorce you wouldn't listen them? Yes we have another shallow christian on our hands. I would rather listen to ten preachers divorced who speak the word of GOD and reflects on the holy bible than a false teacher like Rick who doesn't like to talk about repentance, yeah that's a winner :hmm:

Okay now I am a shallow Christian. Only Christ knows my heart. Only Christ knows what I have overcome with Him in the last 7-10 years. I am not shallow but if you are going to take the word literally then thats exactly what you need to do take the word literally and that means that a preacher who is divorced cannot preach. Hey I was bashed because I attended a church where a woman was the senior pastor of the church and horror of horrors the church was thriving. I myself just this past spring went through a divorce and am now pregnant with my 3rd child due in February so I am by no means perfect, but sitting there downing a man who frankly I have studied and applied his applications to my life makes you just as shallow as me. I get alot out of Rick Warren and Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, I havent been able to get as much from Charles Stanley because frankly his messages bore me. I have read a couple of his books and those I have gotten some insight out of but not the show. Maybe its just not my style.

I commend Adam for reading the Purpose Driven Life and I still recommend that book to new Christ followers that God puts in my path because it has so helped me on my walk through the valleys. I also recommend the book "Get out of that Pit" by Beth Moore and anything by Joyce Meyer, I think I have read all of her books now except her latest one. Joel Osteen's books are both awesome too. I am not saying when I read those books I dont follow up with the word because most of the time the word is sitting there in my lap as I read and I am constantly following up with the word.

My newest adventure and actually along with reading Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life again this fall is beginning daily devotions with my kids. So far so awesome and God is teaching me in these devotions as well. I am also being shown in so many different ways how He can get to you, through someone else's teaching. Like last night for example I was reading the kids their devotion and it was like this thing God laid on my heart that was like "Listen up this is for you too." and then He reaffirmed what He laid on my heart by pointing out to me 3 verses to reaffirm what He had just taught me. If that isnt a "God moment" as my pastor calls them then I dont know what is. :o

Oh and one other thing. You can listen to preachers you can read books but its when you apply what you have read to your life, thats when it counts the most. And if Rick Warren doesnt preach on repentance well then when I found out I was pregnant and it was my stupidity was I lead to have the most awesome time with the Lord asking for his forgiveness and leaving church that Sunday with the biggest weight lifted off my shoulders.

RoadWarrior
Aug 27th 2008, 12:47 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I implore you to discuss with each other in love. By this shall all men know that we are disciples of Christ, when we love one another.

It is one thing to criticize the teachings of a man, and another to attack and call names. This forum is called Maturing in Christ. I exhort each of you to think on that. Are you being mature or childish in the way you answer one another?

Consider yourself.

Each of us are in different places in our growth and walk with the Lord. We have varying needs, and at different times we might prefer different teachers. Discuss the issues, not the people, and all will be blessed by the discussion.

Be kind, one to another.

MOTC7
Aug 27th 2008, 01:55 PM
I couldn't get through the purpose driven life. I'm glad you were able to.
I don't listen to Rick, but I make sure I listen to Joel every Sunday(oK, not every Sunday).
He is the main topic at my Sunday School class.

Shouldn't Jesus Christ be the main topic in your Sunday School class?

superwoman8977
Aug 27th 2008, 01:57 PM

No living in this world as a Christian should be.

diffangle
Aug 27th 2008, 02:18 PM
No living in this world as a Christian should be.
In your opinion... what does it mean to be a Christian?

MOTC7
Aug 27th 2008, 02:48 PM
In your opinion... what does it mean to be a Christian?

I thought it was to be "Christ like" which is the translation of the greek words and thus it would then naturally follow suit that deals with living as He did.

However, the subject in church should be God and JEsus Christ and ouir glorifying Him. Otherwise, maybe I'm not up on this God thing like I should be??

diffangle
Aug 27th 2008, 03:55 PM
I thought it was to be "Christ like"
Right, which imo, means that we should learn and study Him/His life in church instead of Osteen or Warren. ;)

RoadWarrior
Aug 27th 2008, 04:00 PM
Right, which imo, means that we should learn and study Him/His life in church instead of Osteen or Warren. ;)

I agree with this. We are to be Christians. In order to do that, we need to know Him. This is best learned by looking at what He says about Himself. Others might be helpful to our understanding, but only so far as they point us to Him, help us to follow Him.

This is not a new problem. Paul grieved over such divisions.

1 Co 1:10-13
10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ." 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? NKJV

grptinHisHand
Aug 27th 2008, 04:05 PM
Here are the words of today's devotion from Rick Warren. I do not see why so many find fault with him. He is human, just as we are. Are we to put him on a pedastal and expect him to be perfect? No, and we can't be perfect either. But we should always examine anyone's teaching by Scripture. If it doesn't 'line up', then beware. But how do you think this "doesn't" line up? :hmm:

2008/08/27 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7 (NIV)

After we’ve humbled ourselves and submitted to God, we’re then told to defy the Devil. We don’t passively resign ourselves to his attacks. We’re to fight back.

The New Testament often describes the Christian life as a spiritual battle against evil forces, using war terms such as fight, conquer, strive, and overcome. Christians are often compared to soldiers serving in enemy territory.

How can we resist the Devil? Paul tells us, “Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” (Ephesians 6:17 NLT).

The first step is to accept God’s salvation. You won’t be able to say no to the Devil unless you’ve said yes to Christ. Without Christ we’re defenseless against the Devil, but with “the helmet of salvation” our minds are protected by God. Remember this: If you are a believer, Satan cannot force you to do anything. He can only suggest.

Second, you must use the Word of God as your weapon against Satan. Jesus modeled this when he was tempted in the wilderness. Every time Satan suggested a temptation, Jesus countered by quoting Scripture.

He didn’t argue with Satan. He didn’t say, “I’m not hungry,” when tempted to use his power to meet a personal need. He simply quoted Scripture from memory. We must do the same. There is power in God’s Word, and Satan fears it.

Don’t ever try to argue with the Devil. He’s better at arguing than you are, having had thousands of years to practice. You can’t bluff Satan with logic or your opinion, but you can use the weapon that makes him tremble – the truth of God.

This is why memorizing Scripture is absolutely essential to defeating temptation. You have quick access to it whenever you’re tempted. Like Jesus, you have the truth stored in your heart, ready to be remembered.

If you don’t have any Bible verses memorized, you’ve got no bullets in your gun! I challenge you to memorize one verse a week for the rest of your life. Imagine how much stronger you’ll be.

Not arguing, just pointing something out. :hug:
g

Okie-in-Kentucky
Aug 27th 2008, 06:33 PM
It is true that Rick Warren's teachings often appear to be just fine. I don't know how anyone can argue that too much. However, it is dangerous to trust a man when you know that he is doing things that aren't right. How easy would it be for someone to get used to reading his books or devotions and not notice when he starts to stray from Biblical teaching and start down the wrong path?

That is the problem with many of the "teachers" that are popular today. They tickle the ear (think prosperity gospel) and seek to make us feel better about ourselves. Simply put, it isn't about how we feel. We should be focused on what we are doing to live as Christ like as possible and further His Kingdom here on earth. At times, we may not like what we hear, but when it is based in truth and Biblical knowledge we need to accept it. If we find that we always agree with what we're being told or reading, then we need to examine whether we're listening/reading for our benefit, or for the benefit of Him.

superwoman8977
Aug 27th 2008, 07:00 PM
It is true that Rick Warren's teachings often appear to be just fine. I don't know how anyone can argue that too much. However, it is dangerous to trust a man when you know that he is doing things that aren't right. How easy would it be for someone to get used to reading his books or devotions and not notice when he starts to stray from Biblical teaching and start down the wrong path?

That is the problem with many of the "teachers" that are popular today. They tickle the ear (think prosperity gospel) and seek to make us feel better about ourselves. Simply put, it isn't about how we feel. We should be focused on what we are doing to live as Christ like as possible and further His Kingdom here on earth. At times, we may not like what we hear, but when it is based in truth and Biblical knowledge we need to accept it. If we find that we always agree with what we're being told or reading, then we need to examine whether we're listening/reading for our benefit, or for the benefit of Him.

I personally get so sick of hearing we arent to feel better about ourselves. Well heres what I have found out after the "hell" I have been through this summer. You want to reach others you have to have a positive attitude in all aspects. I personally like how Joel Osteen makes you think about things in a whole new perspective. And yes I loved Rick Warrens email devotional from this morning. I just have to ask because I am confused where does Rick not teach about having a relationship with the Lord which is the basis of everything. Where does Rick not talk about worship and Praise and thanksgiving through the storms and through the sun and clouds which is what we need to be doing on a daily basis? This summer after the divorce (which no one in my church bashed me for but loved me and prayed for me and supported me) and then when I ended up pregnant (again no one has bashed me but loved and supported me) I took a couple of weeks and regrouped spent some time in the word, in prayer, in repentance, and now 17 weeks into this pregnancy I have clung to the cross with everything in my being. Yes, the cross --Christ died for me on that cross. I have a cross in my bedroom and I have one around my neck to remind me that the Lord shed His blood on that cross for me for my sins thats why I am forgiven. This summer has not been an easy ride by any means but clinging to the cross has gotten me through it. The Lord wants to bless us, make us disciples but we have to KNOW Him not KNOW ABOUT HIM. And when we share the gospel with our friends and family its not about shoving scripture and "rules" down their throats, its about being a light in this world for them. I know that without Christ I wouldnt have made it through the last 10 years of my life and for me it wasnt about a "church" etc it was about KNOWING HIM. SEEKING HIM. and letting Him have the reins to EVERYTHING in my life, which has taken me 31 years to accomplish because I am a person of control. God is not negative, God is positive and if we want to be beacons in this world and let our light shine for him then we need to be fed and taught and head out into the world. I dont know how else I could have put this.

Adam168
Aug 28th 2008, 12:45 AM
God deeply desires that we know him intimately.

Everything you do can be "spending time with God" if he is invited to be a part of it and you stay aware of his presence.

God doesn't expect you to be perfect, but he does insist on complete honesty.

You will never grow a close relationship with God by just attending church or even having a daily quiet time. Friendship with God is built by sharing ALL your life experiences with him.

Revinius
Aug 28th 2008, 03:46 AM
Rick teaches that all religions are correct. That is undeniable evidence that the guy doesnt have a clue about who and what God is. I know heaps of people that got something great out of "The Purpose Driven Life" and were as shocked as anyone when hearing the filth coming out of his mouth when he talks of 'other faiths'. But i would consider it incredibly dangerous to trust anyone with teaching the Word whose doctrine intentionally excludes and twists what the Word is saying. It's heresy in the simplest sense of the word, and we are told that if anyone preach any gospel other than the gospel which we are told in the Word they will be eternally condemned. That's massive... with massive implications for those who deliberately alter or misrepresent...

Adam168
Aug 28th 2008, 06:27 AM
It is important to establish the habit of a daily devotional time with God.

God wants to be included in your EVERY activity, every sonversation, every problem, and even every thought.

You can carry on a continuous, open-ended conversation with Jesus throughout your day, talking with him about whatever you are doing or thinking AT THAT MOMENT.

"Praying Without Ceasing" means conversing with God while shopping, driving, working, or performing any other everyday tasks.

grptinHisHand
Aug 28th 2008, 12:32 PM
Okay, so everything about Rick Warren isn't what we wish we would find in our Christian leaders, especially those who have great influence, and who may provide the ONLY Christian teaching their listeners receive - to start with. Of course, once one is saved, then they can/should go to the Word, not depend on that teacher, but God, Christ, the Word.

I, too, believe that we should live by God's Word; that we should always keep in close fellowship with our Creator, our Savior.

I beleive that our RELATIONSHIP with HIM is of priority importance in our lives. Every moment of every day.

I also believe in talking with Him throughout our day as Adam168 said. But a set-apart time with Him each day is also very important. Just talking to Him throughout the day will not bring the closeness we need. The two most important disciplines of a Christian life are Bible study and prayer. Prayer should be listening to Him as well as speaking to Him. The listening is done through searching His Word. But it is also done by listening to and reading and talking with other Christians who have a deep relationship with Him.
I dislike long posts - especially when I catch myself posting this way. So for those who get impatient with this one, I ask your forgiveness.
Let's just all remember that it is Christ we follow, not Rick Warren or any other man. Measure everything others tell you BY SCRIPTURE. :hug:
Christ is LORD!! PRAISE HIM and Him alone. :pp
g

Gard
Aug 28th 2008, 02:28 PM
Let us not forget that regardless of the direction Rick Warren, Osteen, and others have taken, they are still leaders in need of prayer. it's okay to take issues with their messages, but instead of attacking them personally, and I am as guilty as anyone, let us pray that they will find true direction....that they will return to the Bible and begin to preach and teach effectively and truthfully.

grptinHisHand
Aug 28th 2008, 03:43 PM
Amen. Gard, you are right. Let's pray for them and for others in leadership positions who greatly influence our lives, even our thinking.
g

tt1106
Aug 28th 2008, 04:04 PM
No we save that for Wednesday night. :kiss:
Actually, Revival and recognizing the difference between true and false teaching is usually a main component.
Currently it is spiritual warfare and Ephesians 6. Our Next series will be
"Don't waste your life".
Joel preaches constantly about how you need to rely on the strength of others. and how blessed you will be if you bless others.
Our focus is usually, The suffering of our fellow christians, who preach unashamedly the Glory of God and sometimes die in the process.
We also hit pretty heavy that God's plan may not involve a wonderful life iwhtout pain and struggle. He may allow your child to die right in front of your eyes. He may allow your spouse to be horribly disfigured and restricted to a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.
Our studies are about how you need to place your faith in jesus and surrender to his will. How you need to lift high the cross and stand in the gap despite the world, re-presenting Jesus Christ to all until his return.
That is generally what my Sunday is like. If I made it sound like Joel was the only thing we learned about, I apologize.

Revinius
Aug 28th 2008, 04:32 PM
Let us not forget that regardless of the direction Rick Warren, Osteen, and others have taken, they are still leaders in need of prayer. it's okay to take issues with their messages, but instead of attacking them personally, and I am as guilty as anyone, let us pray that they will find true direction....that they will return to the Bible and begin to preach and teach effectively and truthfully.

Yeah, should pray for them as we do all leaders, unbelieving or not. Intercession works. :)

Semi-tortured
Aug 28th 2008, 05:24 PM
Rick teaches that all religions are correct. That is undeniable evidence that the guy doesnt have a clue about who and what God is.

I don't support Rick Warren, but I've never heard him talk about any other faith being correct. He preaches the gospel as the way to heaven. Granted his gospel is one he seems to have added his own stuff to, but in his defense (what little I can come up with ;)) to my knowledge, he has never said all religions are correct.

Athanasius
Aug 28th 2008, 10:40 PM

Yep, and I'm [or we're] the heretic (was actually called one for my thoughts on The Purpose Driven Life) for disagreeing with, as another post said, the 'Gospel message... With a [few] additions'.

Adam168
Aug 28th 2008, 11:36 PM
The key to friendship with God is not changing what you do, but changing YOUR ATTITUDE toward what you do. What you normally do for yourself you begin doing for God, whether it is eating, bathing, working, relaxing, or taking out the trash.

Athanasius
Aug 29th 2008, 12:16 AM
Is God our friend, or is God our Father? Or am I creating a false dichotomy in asking the question?

grptinHisHand
Aug 29th 2008, 12:10 PM
Is God our friend, or is God our Father? Or am I creating a false dichotomy in asking the question?
Father and Friend. :hug:
John 15:14 - "You are my friends if you do what I command you." words of Jesus in red. (Jesus is my LORD and my God.)
See also:
Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34; John 3:29; John 11:11; ...
g (gripped in the Hand of God) Praise His Name for that!:pp

Revinius
Aug 31st 2008, 01:13 PM
I don't support Rick Warren, but I've never heard him talk about any other faith being correct. He preaches the gospel as the way to heaven. Granted his gospel is one he seems to have added his own stuff to, but in his defense (what little I can come up with ;)) to my knowledge, he has never said all religions are correct.

Youtube him mate, he holds conferences inviting 'religious' leaders based around the idea that 'we all worship the same God' (naturally this would confuse Buddhists who believes there is no God :confused).

Revinius
Aug 31st 2008, 01:15 PM

The question to decide that is: does 'friend' imply ontological equality?

stillforgiven
Aug 31st 2008, 06:02 PM
The key to friendship with God is not changing what you do, but changing YOUR ATTITUDE toward what you do. What you normally do for yourself you begin doing for God, whether it is eating, bathing, working, relaxing, or taking out the trash.

You do mean as long as what I do isn't a sin, right? Because this post and a few others could be taken to mean that I can sleep with numerous guys and be a friend of God as long as I realize He only wants me to be happy and enjoy life.

I'm not saying that's what you and a couple others are saying, merely that this is how it is coming across to me. I too have the itching ears, and I would love nothing more to hear that I really don't have to change any of my actions, but only have to see God as my friend.

Athanasius
Aug 31st 2008, 06:11 PM
The question to decide that is: does 'friend' imply ontological equality?

That would be a dangerous equivocation...

Adam168
Aug 31st 2008, 10:57 PM
Because God is with you all the time, no place is any closer to God than the place where you are right now.

God is always present.

Think about his Word throughout your day.

Meditate on who God is, what He has done, and what He has said.

While you can not spend all day studying the Bible, you can THINK about it throughout the day, recalling verses you have read or memorized and mulling over in your mind.

Meditation is focused thinking. The more you meditate on God's Word, the less you will have to worry about.

Revinius
Sep 1st 2008, 03:21 AM
That would be a dangerous equivocation...

Indeed....

Adam168
Sep 1st 2008, 08:15 PM
Start today by practicing constant conversation with God and continual meditation on his Word.

You are as close to God as you choose to be.

If you want a deeper, more intimate connection with God you must learn to honestly share your feelings with Him, trust Him when He asks you to do something, learn to care about what He cares about, and desire his friendship more than anything else.

C*2
Sep 1st 2008, 08:45 PM

I am impressed with your post. You say that you are a fairly new Christian and that makes it even more so. All I wanted to say to you was , please stay like this. Do not allow anybody to take you from this path, because the narrow road is in fact the Word as it is, without any leaven added to it. That is why it is so difficult for most to keep on this road, because human nature likes to add opinion.
There are no babies in the bathwater and no bones to spit out in the Word of God.

stillforgiven
Sep 1st 2008, 11:53 PM
I am impressed with your post. You say that you are a fairly new Christian and that makes it even more so. All I wanted to say to you was , please stay like this. Do not allow anybody to take you from this path, because the narrow road is in fact the Word as it is, without any leaven added to it. That is why it is so difficult for most to keep on this road, because human nature likes to add opinion.
There are no babies in the bathwater and no bones to spit out in the Word of God.

Listen to C*2, because I'm one that's taken a beating in my own walk with the Lord due to much of this "feel good religion" that is being taught so much. I'm just now coming out of the tailspin from some of this and trying to reestablish my footing on the solid ground of the Word of God and the Word of God alone. The starry-eyed, "God only wants you to be happy" teaching will lead you exactly in the wrong direction.

Revinius
Sep 2nd 2008, 12:41 AM
ALOT of what Rick says has helped alot of people in their walk, that being said ALOT of what he says has absolutely no foundation on biblical truth. My conclusion is always: truth should take priority. Afterall it is the difference that we live.

Adam168
Sep 2nd 2008, 04:33 AM
It is important to be honest with God, sharing your true feelings, not what you think you ought to feel or say.

God uses EVERYTHING for good in our lives.

You must choose to obey God in faith.

Jesus' relationship with his Father is the model for our friendship with him.

Value what God values.

C*2
Sep 2nd 2008, 03:41 PM
Listen to C*2, because I'm one that's taken a beating in my own walk with the Lord due to much of this "feel good religion" that is being taught so much. I'm just now coming out of the tailspin from some of this and trying to reestablish my footing on the solid ground of the Word of God and the Word of God alone. The starry-eyed, "God only wants you to be happy" teaching will lead you exactly in the wrong direction.

I too went through this.

I struggled with terms like "have a close relationship with Jesus" Just HOW must we do that? Believe more, pray more, "spend more time" talking to Him? Who is He and where is He? Must I form a picture in my mind of Jesus (I found out that , that is forming an idol and I was praying to a god of my own making for a long time) Nothing really worked. For thirty years I struggled through the different things that "hit" the church. I went through all the fashions. The falling, that laughing, the crying, the ups and the downs. I think I left the "church" when everybody started shouting "FIRE" (I though it a good time to leave)

Then one day I cried out to God about it all. Where are You, how do I do this? How can I walk in Your power? Why is the church such an awkward place to be in today?

God took a while and then when He answered it was simple:

Read the Word without adding your opinion. The face of Christ is hidden in the Word and you must be transformed to what you see in the Word, not what your imagination brings to you, that is an idol. The Word is the mirror, that reflects your true self: Christ in you the hope of glory. Do what the Word says and you will not forget what you look like. See Christ in the mirror, because you are dead and crucified and Christ now lives in you.

2Co 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.

SpokenFor
Sep 2nd 2008, 07:30 PM
I too went through this.

Read the Word without adding your opinion. The face of Christ is hidden in the Word and you must be transformed to what you see in the Word, not what your imagination brings to you, that is an idol. The Word is the mirror, that reflects your true self: Christ in you the hope of glory. Do what the Word says and you will not forget what you look like. See Christ in the mirror, because you are dead and crucified and Christ now lives in you.

Thank you. Those are wise words and just what I needed to hear.

stillforgiven
Sep 3rd 2008, 12:49 AM
I too went through this.

I struggled with terms like "have a close relationship with Jesus" Just HOW must we do that? Believe more, pray more, "spend more time" talking to Him? Who is He and where is He? Must I form a picture in my mind of Jesus (I found out that , that is forming an idol and I was praying to a god of my own making for a long time) Nothing really worked. For thirty years I struggled through the different things that "hit" the church. I went through all the fashions. The falling, that laughing, the crying, the ups and the downs. I think I left the "church" when everybody started shouting "FIRE" (I though it a good time to leave)

Then one day I cried out to God about it all. Where are You, how do I do this? How can I walk in Your power? Why is the church such an awkward place to be in today?

2Co 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.

Thank you. Those are wise words and just what I needed to hear.

Me too. I'm going to print that out and put it in the front of my Bible. Thank you for sharing.

Also, about the shouting fire thing ---- are we in the same town?

Adam168
Sep 3rd 2008, 02:57 AM
When Jesus asks us to love others, help the needy, share our resources, keep our lives clean, and bring others to him, love motivates us to obey immediately.

God is pleased when we do small things for him. They may be unnoticed by others, but God notices them and considers them acts of worship.

Great opportunities may come once in a lifetime, but small opportunities surround us every day. Even through such simple acts as telling the truth, being kind, and encouraging others, we bring a smile to God's face.

God treasures obedience, prayers, prayers, and offerings.

livingwaters
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:13 PM
Adam, you got it!!! (God treasures obedience, prayers, prayers, and offerings.);)

Adam168
Sep 5th 2008, 08:16 AM
The closer you become with God the more you will care about the things he cares about, grieve over the things he grieves over, and rejoice over the things that bring pleasure to him.

Friends of God tell their friends about God.

God loves it when we are passionate with him.

What practical choices will you make today in order to grow closer to God?

dispen4ever
Sep 7th 2008, 12:28 AM
Far as Warren's teaching, this is the first I've heard of people having a problem with him.

The criticism of Warren has been around for several years. Several books have been written about it. Google will more than likely find those who are for, against, and undecided.

Adam168
Sep 8th 2008, 04:21 AM
God-pleasing worship is deeply emotional and deeply doctrinal. We use both our hearts and our heads.

God wants all of you. Jesus doesn't want a part of your life. He asks for ALL your heart, ALL your soul, ALL your mind, and ALL your strength. He is not interested in halfhearted commitment, partial obedience, and the leftovers of your time and money. He desires your full devotion, not little bits of your life.

Adam168
Sep 9th 2008, 01:58 AM
Heartless praise is not praise at all! It is worthless, an insult to God.

When we worship, God looks to see the attitude of our hearts.

God gave you emotions so you could worship him with deep feeling-but those emotions must be genuine. not faked. He doesn't want phoniness in worship. He wants your honest, real love.

AlanR742
Sep 9th 2008, 02:59 AM
The purpose driven life is a JOKE! USE THE BIBLE! Not a book written by a sinful man.

It is nothing but part of the Jesuit's ecumenical movement; or, "Vatican II."

Here is an excerpt from the link above (apparently Rick Warren is a Lordship Salvationist as well):

"Real life begins by committing yourself completely to Jesus Christ."
SOURCE: Zondervan Publishers, 'The Purpose Driven Life,' by Rick Warren, ISBN: 0-310-21074-7
Blasphemy! You cannot show me one Scripture from the Bible that requires a person to make a commitment to Christ to be saved. In sharp contrast, Romans 4:5 states...

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

Adam168
Sep 9th 2008, 03:56 AM
Christians have used many different paths for 2,000 years to enjoy intimacy with God:being outdoors, studying, singing, reading, serving others, having solitude, enjoying fellowship.

God wants you to be yourself.

God is pleased when our worship is thoughtful.

If worship is mindless, it is meaningless. You must engage your mind.

Buck shot
Sep 9th 2008, 03:17 PM
The purpose driven life is a JOKE! USE THE BIBLE! Not a book written by a sinful man.

Here is an excerpt from the link above (apparently Rick Warren is a Lordship Salvationist as well):

SOURCE: Zondervan Publishers, 'The Purpose Driven Life,' by Rick Warren, ISBN: 0-310-21074-7
Blasphemy! You cannot show me one Scripture from the Bible that requires a person to make a commitment to Christ to be saved. In sharp contrast, Romans 4:5 states...

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

You asked for one so here is one. Would you like more? You appear to have taken hold of one of the verses people twist into thinking they do not have to change anything in their lives. Yes, the sciptures seem to say you could be saved by the seat of your pants but you will miss out on all the blessings that God has for a Godly lifestyle.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Repentance is what must come before salvation. Repentance is not of works but of realizing that you are a sinner and you need to change. Thus when you repent (which means to turn away) you will change.

Revinius
Sep 9th 2008, 05:33 PM

I am not a supporter of Warren, but i do believe you are splitting a contextual hair on the nature of salvation verses the fruit of salvation.

Adam168
Sep 9th 2008, 11:14 PM
Make a list of the different names of God and focus on them. God's names tell us about different aspects of his character.

Real worship is rooted in the Word.

God is pleased with different sacrifices of worship:thanksgiving, praise, humility, repentance, offerings of money, prayer, serving others, and sharing with those in need.

Adam168
Sep 11th 2008, 02:52 AM
You don't worship to be seen by others.

God is real, no matter how you feel. It is easy to worship God when things are going great in your life-when he has provided food, friends, family, health, and happy situations. But circumstances are not always pleasant. How do you worship God then?

grptinHisHand
Sep 12th 2008, 06:05 PM
You don't worship to be seen by others.

God is real, no matter how you feel. It is easy to worship God when things are going great in your life-when he has provided food, friends, family, health, and happy situations. But circumstances are not always pleasant. How do you worship God then?

May I answer that question?

I worship Him then the same way I do when things are going great:
I worship Him because He IS GOD. He is worthy of our praise even when we don't get our way. He is our Creator, our Shield, our Rock, our Fortress, our Deliverer, our Shelter, Strong Tower, our Very Present Help in time of need. He is. He loves. We are to be more excited over the gift of salvation (that our "names are written in heaven") than over any other thing or circumstance.
In Luke 10 we can read what Jesus told His disciples, when they returned from a mission on which He had sent them. read surrounding context but here is v 20:

Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Adam168
Sep 15th 2008, 12:05 AM
Praise God in spite of pain, thank God during a trial, trust him when tempted.

Tell God exactly how you feel. Pour out your heart to God. Unload every emotion that you're feeling. God can handle your doubt, anger, fear, grief, confusion, and questions.

Believe in God. Believe he listens to your prayers.

superwoman8977
Sep 15th 2008, 07:54 PM

What??? You can love the Lord and not commit yourself totally to the Lord??? Jesus states in the Word that He is THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIGHT...And He is the ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER...need to really get in the word before you make a statement like that!

grptinHisHand
Sep 15th 2008, 08:11 PM
John 14:7 Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man can come to the Father but by Him.

Also see Matt. 16:24 and in Luke 9:23

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

He does want us yielded to Him, committing everything we are and everything we have to Him.
g

Adam168
Sep 16th 2008, 11:03 PM
Without Jesus as your Savior, you will not be going to heaven, and that is absolutely certain.

The earth exhibits His absolute power and control.

He knows the most intimate details of our lives, yet He oversees the universe.

grptinHisHand
Sep 17th 2008, 12:17 PM
John 14:7 Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man can come to the Father but by Him.

Also see Matt. 16:24 and in Luke 9:23

He does want us yielded to Him, committing everything we are and everything we have to Him.
g
Post 80 - I can NOT believe I wrote the wrong reference here! Should be John 14:6!!

Adam168
Sep 18th 2008, 02:44 AM
Hell is far worse than any horror the earth could produce.

Some things to praise God for:that he is good and loving, that he is all-powerful, that he notices every detail of your life, that he is in control, that he has a plan for your life.

Adam168
Sep 19th 2008, 08:34 PM
Find a way to tell people about Jesus.

Take your faith seriously.

You do not need to be a scholar to read and understand the Bible.

Don't be troubled by trouble. God's grace is still in full force; he is still FOR you.

Remember what God has already done for you.

Adam168
Sep 22nd 2008, 04:50 AM
If God never did anything else for you,he would still deserve your continual praise for the rest of your life because of what Jesus did for you on the cross. God's Son died for you!

We sometimes forget the cruel details of the agonizing sacrifice God made on our behalf. Even before his crucifixion the Son of God was beaten, whipped, scorned and mocked, crowned with thorns, and spit on contemptuously. Abused and ridiculed, he was treated worse than an animal. Then, nearly unconscious from blood loss, he was forced to drag a cumbersome cross up a hill, was nailed to it, and was left to die the slow, excruciating torture of death by crucifixion. While his lifeblood drained out, hecklers stood by and shouted insults, making fun of his pain and challenging his claim to be God.

Revinius
Sep 22nd 2008, 06:11 AM
Don't be troubled by trouble. God's grace is still in full force; he is still FOR you.

Joshua 5:13-14 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?" "Neither," he replied, "but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come." Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence

Adam168
Sep 22nd 2008, 08:15 PM
Why did God allow and endure such ghastly, evil mistreatment? Why? So YOU could be spared from eternity in hell, and so YOU could share in his glory forever!

Jesus gave up everything so you could have everything.

Adam168
Sep 23rd 2008, 10:47 PM
Jesus died so you could live forever.

You were formed for God's family. God wants a family, and he created you to be a part of it.

Because God is love, he treasures relationships.

Revinius
Sep 24th 2008, 03:33 AM
Jesus died so you could live forever.

Jesus died so we could be in relationship with Him forever. Christ aint a pinata that gives blessings like eternal life.

Adam168
Sep 25th 2008, 07:42 PM
Your spiritual family is even more important than your physical family because it will last forever.

When we place our faith in Jesus, God becomes our Father, we become his children, other believers become our brothers and sisters, and the church becomes our spiritual family. The family of God includes all believers in the past,the present, and the future.

Your eternal inheritance is priceless, pure, permanent, and protected.

Dani H
Sep 26th 2008, 09:01 PM
Let me ask you this:

When you go to a doctor because you are sick and need medicine, do you concern yourself with his/her personal life?

No. You make an appointment, and you see them and trust in their training to help you in that particular area for which they are trained to do. You accept their counsel, and perhaps a prescription, and you pay and you go on your way. And if you do not get better, then you seek a second opinion because your physical health depends on it. You do not sniff around in their personal life and set yourself up as judge over them and dissect everything that you do not agree with. That is simply nonsense and foolishness. Yet we think we're okay to do that with someone working in a job as pertains to someone's spiritual health and with the people that God has placed into those positions and trained them to do those specific jobs.

Ministers have specific job descriptions and that is where their anointing lies and what their job is and what they are trained to do. If a minister doesn't do a good enough job for your taste, and if his/her expertise does not lie in something that you need assistance with, then do yourself a favor, and move on, and find one that does, if indeed you are in need of one.

It is each person's individual responsibility to live a life that is supportive of our physical and spiritual health both. You should only need ministering if you are sick and broken in any way, and then only from that person who is specifically trained for your particular issue, and not expect to have your hand held throughout every last aspect of life by that person, because that ultimately is God's job and ought to come from your relationship with Him.

sunsetssplendor
Sep 26th 2008, 09:07 PM

I tried to get into that book twice and couldn't. My spirit is very sensitive to these things and I think that is what kept me from buying into it. Praise God.

Adam168
Sep 26th 2008, 10:50 PM
Baptism signifies your inclusion in God's family.

Your baptism declares your faith, shares Jesus' burial and resurrection, symbolizes your death to your old life, and announces your new life in Christ. It is also a celebration of your inclusion in God's family.

Baptism doesn't MAKE you a member of God's family; only faith in Jesus does that. Baptism shows you are a part of God's family.

Revinius
Sep 27th 2008, 03:15 AM
Let me ask you this:

When you go to a doctor because you are sick and need medicine, do you concern yourself with his/her personal life?

No.

Actually, if the doctor has a bad history as a doctor then they may lose their doctoring license. Since Rick isnt part of a denomenation, there is no licensing, so your analogy is flawed....

Ministers must be above reproach and their teaching must be in line with the Word, otherwise they are false doctors.

Adam168
Sep 27th 2008, 03:57 AM
Whenever you feel unimportant, unloved, or insecure, remember to whom you belong.

How can you start treating other believers like members of your own family?

Life is all about Jesus' love.

It is in loving that we are most like Jesus.

Dani H
Sep 27th 2008, 09:25 PM
Ministers must be above reproach and their teaching must be in line with the Word, otherwise they are false doctors.

All disciples of Jesus Christ are called to live a life above reproach. Be perfect as our Father in Heaven is perfect. Focusing on that, and the work God has given you, is a full-time job and will keep a person busy 24/7. There is a whole world full of unsaved people that God wants us to reach.

So it really makes me wonder how people who claim to be following Jesus have time to dig around other people's lives to such an extent and come up with all of these confabulated theories, and what they are really motivated by ...

Revinius
Sep 28th 2008, 12:55 AM
So it really makes me wonder how people who claim to be following Jesus have time to dig around other people's lives to such an extent and come up with all of these confabulated theories, and what they are really motivated by ...

How is listening to what he says, with the purpose of gaining wisdom, and finding a wolf in the sheep pen confabulating? Jesus and Paul spoke much of sin and how to deal with a 'brother' who is unrepentently sinning in our midst. The obviously considered it important enough to warrant concern. Hold that thought and magnify it to the millions of people who are listening and reading stuff from Warren and we have a heck of a lot of concern on his teaching that needs to be checked out.

Dani H
Sep 28th 2008, 02:26 AM
How is listening to what he says, with the purpose of gaining wisdom, and finding a wolf in the sheep pen confabulating? Jesus and Paul spoke much of sin and how to deal with a 'brother' who is unrepentently sinning in our midst. The obviously considered it important enough to warrant concern. Hold that thought and magnify it to the millions of people who are listening and reading stuff from Warren and we have a heck of a lot of concern on his teaching that needs to be checked out.

I was specifically referring to the claims that Mr. Warren is aligned with this person and that person, and being financed by so-and-so and such-and-such and all these other claims that are being brought against all sorts of other people. That is hearsay, and gossip, and we ought to be very careful what we spread.

I am not speaking against being careful of teachings of men, because the enemy is always there with his lies and falsehoods. And Jesus was very clear that many would become deceived and follow strange teachings and false "gospels."

But, I do believe it grieves God's heart when we so callously become accusers of people. Because it never stops with ministers, and it's rampant everywhere.

And I also believe that God is big enough and the Holy Spirit is strong enough to keep those who really seek God's truth, on the right path. If we ask our Father for bread, He will not give us stones. And if we ask Him for fish, then that is what we will have, and not serpents.

Adam168
Sep 28th 2008, 03:35 AM
God wants you to be in regular, close fellowship with other believers.

Jesus' love is eternal.

Love leaves a legacy.

When you transfer into eternity, you will leave all materials behind.

Revinius
Sep 28th 2008, 04:14 AM
I was specifically referring to the claims that Mr. Warren is aligned with this person and that person, and being financed by so-and-so and such-and-such and all these other claims that are being brought against all sorts of other people. That is hearsay, and gossip, and we ought to be very careful what we spread.

I am not speaking against being careful of teachings of men, because the enemy is always there with his lies and falsehoods. And Jesus was very clear that many would become deceived and follow strange teachings and false "gospels."

But, I do believe it grieves God's heart when we so callously become accusers of people. Because it never stops with ministers, and it's rampant everywhere.

And I also believe that God is big enough and the Holy Spirit is strong enough to keep those who really seek God's truth, on the right path. If we ask our Father for bread, He will not give us stones. And if we ask Him for fish, then that is what we will have, and not serpents.

Agreed in part, we should by no means slander anyone of any kind. Any accusations should be based on evidence and rebuke in love should be of primary concern.

God is strong enough to hold us, but he gives us warnings. Like the fingers of a hand letting go one at a time the Lord will reveal His will through His Word and Spirit in warning. It is also important to note that God gave us personal responsibility and accountability, which shows us that we should be wary (as you say) of both Satan, but moreso of our own sin. In the spiritual warfare of Romans, Satan doesnt come into the picture until chapter 16!

The issues surrounding Warren are quite serious, as: 1. He has proven Himself to have wolf-like qualities which we should assess closely on their merit, 2. He has great influence in Christian circles (i don't know why) and the impact of the false teachings and the accusation of false teaching have massive ramifications. So we should react with resolve but also with trepidation. I would hate to cause a brother to sin in response to my rebuke, if it were not obviously done in love.

Revinius
Sep 28th 2008, 04:17 AM
When you transfer into eternity, you will leave all materials behind.

Actually, the new creation will be very physical.
Isaiah 65
17 "Behold, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.

18 But be glad and rejoice forever
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more.
20 "Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not live out his years;
he who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere youth;
he who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed.
21 They will build houses and dwell in them;
they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them,
or plant and others eat.
For as the days of a tree,
so will be the days of my people;
my chosen ones will long enjoy
the works of their hands.
23 They will not toil in vain
or bear children doomed to misfortune;
for they will be a people blessed by the LORD,
they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are still speaking I will hear. 25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
but dust will be the serpent's food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,"
says the LORD.

Adam168
Sep 29th 2008, 12:21 AM
The importance of things can be measured by how much time we are willing to invest in them. The more time you give to something, the more you reveal its importance and value to you.

When you give someone your time, you are giving them a portion of your life you will never get back.

Adam168
Sep 30th 2008, 02:22 AM
The most desired gift of love is not diamonds or roses or chocolate. It is FOCUSED ATTENTION.

Love concentrates so intently on another that you forget yourself at that moment.

Love means giving up-yielding your preferences, comfort, goals, security, money, energy, or time for the benefit of someone else.

Revinius
Sep 30th 2008, 03:18 AM
Love concentrates so intently on another that you forget yourself at that moment.

Agreed in part, i find the more you forget yourself (ego) the more you know yourself.

Adam168
Sep 30th 2008, 10:37 PM
You have no guarantee of tomorrow. If you want to express love, you had better do it now.

Knowing that one day you will stand before God, here are some questions you need to consider:How will you explain those times when projects or things were more important to you than people? Who do you need to start spending more time with? What do you need to cut out of your schedule to make that possible? What sacrifices do you need to make?

Dani H
Oct 1st 2008, 03:09 AM
I believe it was Kathryn Kuhlman who said that love has never yet made a sacrifice. The more I understand what love is, the more I would tend to agree with that statement.

Paladin54
Oct 1st 2008, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by devonrose742 View Post

Buckshot wrote:

You asked for one so here is one. Would you like more? You appear to have taken hold of one of the verses people twist into thinking they do not have to change anything in their lives. Yes, the sciptures seem to say you could be saved by the seat of your pants but you will miss out on all the blessings that God has for a Godly lifestyle.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Repentance is what must come before salvation. Repentance is not of works but of realizing that you are a sinner and you need to change. Thus when you repent (which means to turn away) you will change.

As far as I can see you are both right.

As devonrose742 wrote, Warren believes and teaches that you must commit yourself totally to Christ.

BUT

Warren never gives this message in the context of what you wrote Buck Shot:

That is a message Warren does not teach. His teachings of commitment to Christ is never based on the fact that you must accept that you are a sinner and that you cannot receive salvation through anything but belief in Christ. He leaves everything about sin, the wages of sin and damnation out.

He basically teaches that you can earn savlvation by having total committal to Christ.

Here are two excellent articles on Warren and how poor the doctrines of his teachings are. In light of this his teachings are false as they are not held up scriptually.

http://www.bibleguidance.co.za/Engarticles/RickWarren.htm

http://www.svchapel.org/Resources/Articles/read_articles.asp?ID=112

I read the PDL when my church did the 40 days of purpose a few years ago. But the message fell flat and many people did not agree with his teachings. We didn't fall for his washed down, feel good doctrine of Christianity.

Warren misses the point in everything that is important, he has watered down the Word of God to reach the masses. But all he has done is deceive the masses into following a doctrine that does not save.

A Christian who is saved by repentence in sin and trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior can get good points from Warren's teachings, just as many non-christian beliefs like Budhism and others can have good points and teachings on how to live our lives. But ultimately his teachings fall short because they are not based on the grace of God alone.

Gentile
Oct 1st 2008, 11:09 AM
Its pretty simple if you are a true, devoted christian you will stay away from anything warren writes or says. The guy have no clue on what it takes to be christian, he is a false prophet and a manipulator.

Revinius
Oct 1st 2008, 12:41 PM
I believe it was Kathryn Kuhlman who said that love has never yet made a sacrifice. The more I understand what love is, the more I would tend to agree with that statement.

eh? I would say Christ made a sacrifice. Or do i miss your meaning?

Dani H
Oct 1st 2008, 04:24 PM
eh? I would say Christ made a sacrifice. Or do i miss your meaning?

I think she meant that in the sense where a sacrifice in the way that we understand it, costs us something and requires immense effort.

In that sense, I believe that, as Jesus is God and God is love, He gladly did what He did, and did not even consider the cost of it as something costly, because we are of greater value to Him than even the riches of Heaven or His own life.

So you see, such is the value of a soul and such is the value of His love.

And if God did all that to show us how we are to love Him and one another that way, then you can readily see, I think, why love is our supreme commandment and why the law and the prophets all hang on it. It's one of those concepts that is difficult to grasp with our minds and so requires "ah ha!" moments in our hearts as God reveals the depth of it to us.

Adam168
Oct 2nd 2008, 01:10 AM
The best use of life is love. The best expression of love is time. The best time to love is now.

We are created for community, fashioned for fellowship, and formed for a family, and none of us can fulfill God's purposes by ourselves.

The Bible says we are put together, joined together, built together, members together, heirs together, fitted together, and held together.

Revinius
Oct 2nd 2008, 03:20 AM
I think she meant that in the sense where a sacrifice in the way that we understand it, costs us something and requires immense effort.

In that sense, I believe that, as Jesus is God and God is love, He gladly did what He did, and did not even consider the cost of it as something costly, because we are of greater value to Him than even the riches of Heaven or His own life.

So you see, such is the value of a soul and such is the value of His love.

And if God did all that to show us how we are to love Him and one another that way, then you can readily see, I think, why love is our supreme commandment and why the law and the prophets all hang on it. It's one of those concepts that is difficult to grasp with our minds and so requires "ah ha!" moments in our hearts as God reveals the depth of it to us.

I see, but in the same sense it sort of devalues sacrifice if we say 'it is out of love therefore to die is gain'. Although that is true, it does in some way take away from the immensity of the sacrifice.

Adam168
Oct 2nd 2008, 03:51 AM
While your relationship to Jesus is personal, God never intends it to be private. In God's family you are connected to every other believer, and we will belong to each other for eternity.

The church is a body, not a building; an organism, not an organization.

For the organs of your body to fulfill their purpose, they must be connected to your body. The same is true for you as a part of Christ's Body. You were created for a specific role, but you will miss this second purpose of your life if you're not attached to a living, local church.

Dani H
Oct 2nd 2008, 04:30 AM
I see, but in the same sense it sort of devalues sacrifice if we say 'it is out of love therefore to die is gain'. Although that is true, it does in some way take away from the immensity of the sacrifice.

Not really, if you think about it. We see the immensity of the sacrifice, on the receiving end, and how it would hurt us if we did the same, and it's quite mind-boggling to us, but the Giver of it doesn't see it that way because He loves us so immensely. And we therefore count as nothing what we sacrifice for God, if we really love Him in that way, because compared to what we are gaining, which is God Himself, what we're giving up, even if it's everything, it doesn't compare. It's all a matter of ascribing value. It doesn't take away from the value of what is being given, but instead it adds to the value of the person that it was given for. Which is a difficult concepts for puny human minds to understand, and can therefore be only understood in the heart, where love dwells.

For example, I would gladly give anything I own, including my life, for my children because of my deep love for them. That doesn't devalue what I'm giving, if you look at it by itself, and rationalize it all out, but really, they're worth so much more to me, within my own heart, than even that, and so giving up something for them doesn't hurt, as I do it gladly, and so in that sense, it's not a sacrifice to me, just an act of love.

Revinius
Oct 2nd 2008, 02:51 PM
so perspective does matter? relativist!

But joking aside, i understand. :)

Adam168
Oct 2nd 2008, 08:44 PM
Whenever we become careless about fellowship, everything else begins to slide, too.

Love your spiritual family.

You need a church family because:A church family identifies you as a genuine believer. A church family moves you out of self-centered isolation. A church family helps you develop spiritual muscle. The Body of Christ needs you. You will share in Jesus' mission in the world. A church family will help keep you from backsliding.

superwoman8977
Oct 3rd 2008, 12:55 PM
Whenever we become careless about fellowship, everything else begins to slide, too.

Love your spiritual family.

You need a church family because:A church family identifies you as a genuine believer. A church family moves you out of self-centered isolation. A church family helps you develop spiritual muscle. The Body of Christ needs you. You will share in Jesus' mission in the world. A church family will help keep you from backsliding.

I so agree with that statement. When we start to withdraw from the fellowship like stopping going to church for a period of time we begin to backslide our time in the word becomes less as well as our time with the Lord becomes less and thats when temptation sneaks into our lives. It might not be anything big but I have noticed that when I become a recluse or miss church for a couple of weeks because of work my closeness with the Lord diminishes. So yes Adam I totally agree with that statement and thats why it is important to establish that fellowship and to keep it going, keep up with time in the Word and in Prayer.

Adam168
Oct 3rd 2008, 08:05 PM
superwoman, yep. When we are away from our church family we are away from other parts of the Body of Christ and it's simply not healthy spiritual wise.

Does your level of involvement in your local church demonstrate that you love and are committed to God's family?

A Christian without a church home is like an organ without a body, a sheep without a flock, or a child without a family.

You are not the Body of Christ on your own. TOGETHER, not separated, we are his Body.

Adam168
Oct 4th 2008, 06:41 PM
We are commanded to love each other, pray for each other, encourage each other, greet each other, serve each other, teach each other, accept each other, honor each other, bear each other's burdens, forgive each other, submit to each other, and be devoted to each other.

Revinius
Oct 5th 2008, 02:04 AM
We are commanded to love each other, pray for each other, encourage each other, greet each other, serve each other, teach each other, accept each other, honor each other, bear each other's burdens, forgive each other, submit to each other, and be devoted to each other.

I do think some are meant to teach, and thus some are meant to submit. This isnt a communist paradise where everyone supposedly can do the same roles equally well.

Adam168
Oct 5th 2008, 04:57 AM
We need more than the Bible in order to grow; we need other believers. We grow faster and stronger by learning from each other and being accountable to each other. When others share what God is teaching them, you learn and grow, too.

Your local fellowship is the place God designed for you to discover, develop, and use your spiritual gifts.

When Jesus walked the earth, God worked through the physical body of Christ; today he uses his spiritual body. The church is God's instrument on earth. We are not just to model God's love by loving each other; we are to carry it together to the rest of the world. This is an incredible privilege we have been given together. As members of Christ's body, WE are his hands, his feet, his eyes, and his heart. He works through us in the world. We each have a contribution to make.

Adam168
Oct 6th 2008, 12:18 AM
Satan loves detached believers, unplugged from the life of the Body, and isolated from God's family, because he knows they are away from where they should be, the church.

Adam168
Oct 6th 2008, 09:46 PM
God created the church to meet your deepest needs:a purpose to live for, people to live with, principles to live by, and power to live on.

Whenever a child is born, he or she automatically becomes a part of the universal family of human beings. But that child also needs to become a member of a specific family to receive nurture and care and grow up healthy and strong. The same is true spiritually. When you were born again, you automatically became a part of God's universal family.

Adam168
Oct 7th 2008, 04:49 AM
The difference between being a church ATTENDER and a church MEMBER is commitment. Attenders are spectators from the sidelines; members get involved in the ministry. Attenders are consumers; members are contributors. Attenders want the benefits of a church without sharing the responsibility.

Adam168
Oct 7th 2008, 11:21 PM
You are called to love imperfect sinners, just as God does.

The Christian life is more than just commitment to Jesus; it includes a commitment to other Christians.

Real fellowship includes unselfish loving, honest sharing, practical serving, sacrificial giving, and sympathetic comforting.

Adam168
Oct 9th 2008, 07:04 AM
Every Christian needs to be involved in a small group within their church, whether it is a home fellowship group, a Sunday school class, or a Bible study.

Authentic fellowship is genuine heart-to-heart sharing. People share their hurts, reveal their true feelings, confess their failures, disclose their doubts, admit their fears, acknowledge their weaknesses, and ask for help and prayer.

Real fellowship happens when people get honest about who they are and what is happening in their lives.

ƒσяєяυииєя
Oct 9th 2008, 06:26 PM
Every Christian needs to be involved in a small group within their church, whether it is a home fellowship group, a Sunday school class, or a Bible study.

Authentic fellowship is genuine heart-to-heart sharing. People share their hurts, reveal their true feelings, confess their failures, disclose their doubts, admit their fears, acknowledge their weaknesses, and ask for help and prayer.

Real fellowship happens when people get honest about who they are and what is happening in their lives.

""Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!"" Psalm 133:1

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5459/natureavyty7.jpg
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3020/lifesigyyt9.gif

Adam168
Oct 9th 2008, 10:51 PM
Every time you understand and affirm someone's feelings, you build fellowship.

All of us are more consistent in our faith when others work with us and encourage us.

The Bible commands mutual accountability, mutual encouragement, mtual serving, and mutual honoring.

Adam168
Oct 10th 2008, 08:09 PM
Fellowship is a place of grace, where mistakes aren't rubbed in but rubbed out.

What one step can you take today to connect with another believer at a more genuine, heart-to-heart level?

Adam168
Oct 11th 2008, 08:40 AM
When conflict is handled correctly, we grow closer to each other.

Thoughtless words leave lasting wounds.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.

We recieve God's grace by humbly admitting that we need it.

Adam168
Oct 11th 2008, 08:36 PM
You can develop humility in very practical ways:by admitting your weaknesses, by being patient with others' weaknesses, by being open to correction, and by pointing the spotlight on others.

Excel in showing respect for each other.

Real community happens when people know it is safe enough to share their doubts and fears without being judged.

ƒσяєяυииєя
Oct 11th 2008, 10:18 PM
Excel in showing respect for each other.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Philipians 2:3

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5459/natureavyty7.jpg
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3020/lifesigyyt9.gif

Adam168
Oct 12th 2008, 04:13 AM
If you are a member of a small group or class, make a group covenant that includes the seven characteristics of biblical fellowship:We will share our true feelings, encourage each other, support each other, forgive each other, admit our weaknesses, not gossip, and make group a priority.

Adam168
Oct 12th 2008, 11:20 PM
Tell God your frustrations. Cry out to Him.

People don't care what we know until they know we care.

God deeply desires that we experience oneness and harmony with each other.

God himself is the highest example of sacrificial love, humble other-centeredness, and perfect harmony.

Adam168
Oct 14th 2008, 03:56 AM
Just like every parent, our heavenly Father enjoys watching his children get along with each other.

As believers we share one Lord, one body, one purpose, one Father, one hope, one faith, and one love. We share the same salvation, the same life, and the same future.

We must passionately love the church, the body of Christ.

Adam168
Oct 14th 2008, 07:26 PM
If we concentrate on loving each other and fulfilling God's purposes, harmony results.

Reconciliation, not running away, is the road to stronger character and deeper fellowship.

People who gossip TO you will also gossip ABOUT you.

Adam168
Oct 15th 2008, 04:44 AM
Support your pastor and leaders.

Pastors and elders need our prayers, encouragement, appreciation, and love.

Adam168
Oct 15th 2008, 10:39 PM
One reason God puts us in a church family is to learn unselfishness.

You were created to become like Jesus.

God wants his children to bear his image and likeness.

Adam168
Oct 16th 2008, 05:01 AM
God wants you to become like Him-taking on his values, attitudes, and character.

God wants you to develop the kind of character described in the beatitudes of Jesus, the fruit of the Spirit, Paul's great chapter on love, and Peter's list of the characteristics of an effective and productive life.

Adam168
Oct 16th 2008, 10:48 PM
You exist for God's purposes.

Choose to do the right thing in situations and then trust God to give us his power, love, faith, and wisdom to do it.

Adam168
Oct 17th 2008, 06:12 PM
The Bible compares spiritual growth to a seed, a building, and a child growing up. Each metaphor requires active participation:Seeds must be planted and cultivated, buildings must be built-they don't just appear-and children must eat and exercise to grow.

Paul explains in Ephesians 4:22 our three responsibilities in becoming like Christ. First, we must choose to let go of old ways of acting. Second, we must change the way we think. Third, we must "put on" the character of Christ by developing new, godly habits.

When we allow God to direct our thoughts:We are changed from the inside out, we become more beautoful, and we are set free to soar to new heights.

Adam168
Oct 18th 2008, 02:45 AM
What is life on earth really worth compared to an eternity in heaven?

What do you see as the proof of your salvation?

Adam168
Oct 19th 2008, 02:23 AM
God's Word provides the TRUTH we need to grow, God's people provide the SUPPORT we need to grow, and circumstances provide the environment we need to practice Christlikeness.

If you study and apply God's Word, connect regularly with other believers, and learn to trust God in difficult circumstances, doing these things will help you become more like Jesus.

Adam168
Oct 20th 2008, 08:16 PM
You cannot grow to Christlikeness in isolation. You must be around other people and interact with them. You need to be a part of a church and community. Why? Because true spiritual maturity is all about learning to love like Jesus and you can't practice being like Jesus without being in relationship with other people. Remember, it's all about love-loving Jesus and loving others.

Whatever you do, do in a Christlike manner.

Adam168
Oct 21st 2008, 06:08 PM
As the Bible says, "Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out....Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Do NOT follow the world!!!!!Follow Jesus!!!!!

Adam168
Oct 22nd 2008, 06:54 PM
Spiritual growth is not automatic. It takes an intentional commitment. You must WANT to grow, DECIDE to grow, MAKE AN EFFORT to grow, and PERSIST in growing.

Take your spiritual growth seriously!

Adam168
Oct 23rd 2008, 05:49 PM
To be like Jesus you must develop the mind of Jesus.

Take on Jesus' outlook and perspective.

STOP thinking immature thoughts, which are self-centered and self-seeking. START thinking maturely, which focuses on others, not yourself.

Adam168
Oct 24th 2008, 08:58 PM
What is one area where you need to stop thinnking YOUR way and start thinking GOD'S way?

To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with his Word.

God's Word generates life, creates faith, produces change, frightens Satan, causes miracles, heals hurts, builds character, transforms circumstances, imparts joy, overcomes adversity, defeats temptations, infuses hope, releases power, cleanses our minds, brings things into being, and guarantees our future forever!

Adam168
Oct 25th 2008, 05:10 AM
We can not live without the Word of God! NEVER take it for granted. You should consider it as essential to your life as food.

God's Word is the spiritual nourishment you MUST have to fulfill your purpose. The Bible is called our milk, bread, solid food, and sweet dessert. This four-course meal is the Spirit's menu for spiritual strength and growth.

kkeller
Oct 25th 2008, 04:03 PM
As stated earlier in this thread, warnings about Rick Warren's teachings, I too did read his "Purpose Driven Life" book, my initial thought was that the book was very insiteful. That was 3 years ago. Not too long ago I was reading the very same warnings posted here about Rick's teachings on a site called "Let us Reason Ministies," you'll find some useful information at the following link: http://www.letusreason.org/ecumen%2018.htm
May be worth checking out.
God Bless

Tcanmom
Oct 25th 2008, 06:38 PM
I am currently reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren.I have read many good Authors, Joyce Meyer, Catherine Marshall, Stormie Omartian ,Dr. James Dobson, Evelyn Christenson, Sheila Walsh,A.J Russell to name a few. I feel that you are not always going to agree with what the Author is saying, but, through prayerful study I believe the Lord will give us the Spirit of discernment. I believe it important to expose myself to different Christian ideas and teachings in order to grow in my spiritual journey. Through prayer and my study of the Bible the truth of what is right and what is wrong will surface.

Adam168
Oct 25th 2008, 07:09 PM
There are more Bibles in print today than ever before, but a Bible on the shelf is worthless.

To be a healthy disciple of Jesus, feeding on God's Word must be your first priority.

The Bible must become the authoritative standard for your life:the compass you rely on for direction, the counsel you listen to for making wise decisions, and the benchmark you use for evaluating everything.

The Bible must always have the first and last word in your life.

Adam168
Oct 26th 2008, 07:08 PM
Many of our troubles occur because we base our choices on unreliable authorities:culture("everyone is doing it"). emotion("it just felt right"). What we need is a perfect standard that will never lead us in the wrong direction. Only God's Word meets that need.

The Scriptures is God's Word. All of is is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live.

Determine to first ask, "What does the Bible say?" when making decisions. Resolve that when God says to do something, you will trust God's Word and do it whether or not you feel like doing it.

Adam168
Oct 27th 2008, 09:00 PM
Many who claim to believe the Bible "from cover to cover" have never read it from cover to cover.

Anytime you feel you are not learning anything from a sermon or a Bible teacher, you should check your attitude, especially for pride, because God can speak through even the most boring teacher when you are humble and receptive.

Adam168
Oct 29th 2008, 12:37 AM
In the Bible James advises, "In a humble(gentle, modest) spirit, receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted in your hearts contains the power to save your souls."

We can't watch television for three hours, then read the Bible for three minutes and expect to grow.

Don't just keep your Bible near you; read it regularly!

Adam168
Oct 29th 2008, 02:58 PM
A helpful tool is a daily Bible reading plan. It will prevent you from just skipping around the Bible arbitrarily and overlooking sections.

Studying the Bible is a practical way to abide in the Word.

The Bible says, "Truly happy people are those who carefully study God's perfect law that makes people free, and they continue to study it. They do not forget what they heard, but they obey what God's teaching says. Those who do this will be made happy."

Adam168
Oct 30th 2008, 04:08 PM
If God's Word is important, you will take the time to remember it.

There are enormous benefits to memorizing Bible verses. It will help you resist temptation, make wise decisions, reduce stress, build confidence, offer good advice, and share your faith with others.

Your memory is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it will become, and memorizing Scripture will become easier.

You can memorize Scripture anywhere:while working or exercising or driving or waiting or at bedtime. At the same time, it would probably be best to do it in a quiet place when you have plenty of time. The three keys to memorizing Scripture are review, review, and review!

Adam168
Oct 31st 2008, 06:38 PM
Focus on God's Word instead of your problem.

No other habit can do more to transform your life and make you more like Jesus than daily reflection on Scripture.

One of the reasons God called David "a man after my own heart" is that David loved to reflect on God's Word.

Serious reflection on God's truth is a key to answered prayer and the secret to successful living.

Adam168
Nov 3rd 2008, 04:10 AM
Receiving, reading, researching, remembering and reflecting on the Word are all useless if we fail to put them into practice.

Without implementation, all our Bible studies are worthless.

Jesus pointed out that God's blessings comes from obeying the truth not just knowing it. He said, "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

Adam168
Nov 3rd 2008, 07:59 PM
God's Word exposes our motives, points out our faults, rebukes our sin, and expects us to change.

The value of being a part of a small Bible study discussion group cannot be overstated. Other people will help you see insights you might miss and help you apply God's truth in a practical way.

The best way to become a "doer of the Word" is to always write out an action step as a result of your reading or studying or reflecting on God's Word. Develop the habit of writing down exactly what you intend to do. This action step should be personal(involving YOU), practical(something you can DO), and provable(with a DEADLINEa to do it).

Adam168
Nov 4th 2008, 11:39 PM
What has God told you to do in his Word that you haven't started doing yet?

Jesus warned us that we would have problems in the world. Noone is immune to pain or insulated from suffering, and noone gets to skate through life problem-free. God uses problems to draw you closer to Himself.

Your most profound and intimate experiences of worship will sometimes be in your darkest days-when your heart is broken, when you feel abondoned, when you're out of options, when the pain is great-and you turn to God alone. It is during suffering that we learn to pray our most authentic, heartfelt, honest-to-God prayers. When we're in pain, we don't have the energy for superficial prayers.

Adam168
Nov 5th 2008, 07:53 PM
Problems force us to look to God and depend on him instead of ourselves.

Sometimes you never know that God is all you need until God is all you've got.

We live in a fallen world.

Adam168
Nov 6th 2008, 09:12 PM
Our hope in difficult times is not based on positive thinking, wishful thinking, or natural optimism. It is a certainty based on the truths that God is in complete control of our universe and that He loves us.

WE make mistakes, but God never does.

If you will give God your distasteful, unpleasant experiences, he will blend them together for good.

Adam168
Nov 7th 2008, 11:33 PM
Much of what happens in our world is evil and bad, but God specializes in bringing good out of it.

All things work FOR BAD for those living in opposition to God who insist on having their own way.

Every problem is a character-building opportunity, and the more difficult it is, the greater the potential for building spiritual muscle and moral fiber.

Adam168
Nov 10th 2008, 06:53 PM
Remember that God's plan is good. God knows what is best for you and has your best interests at heart.

It is vital that you stay focused on God's plan, not your pain or problem. Your focus will determine your feelings.

The secret of endurance is to remember that your pain is temporary but your reward will be eternal.

Adam168
Nov 11th 2008, 05:45 PM
Don't give in to short-term thinking. Stay focused on the end result. "If we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. What we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will give us later."

No matter what's happening, you can rejoice in God's love, crae, wisdom, power, and faithfulness.

We don't serve a distant and detached God who spouts encouraging cliches safely from the sidelines.

Adam168
Nov 12th 2008, 09:02 PM
God will never leave us on our own.

Every temptation is an opportunity to do good.

Everytime you choose to do good instead of sin, you are growing in the character of Christ.

Adam168
Nov 14th 2008, 02:25 PM
Everytime you defeat a temptation, you become more like Jesus!

Satan fears your prayers and will try anything to stop them.

When you're tempted try refocusing your attention on something else.

looking4jesus
Nov 17th 2008, 12:43 AM
From someone who attended Warren's church, I can speak from experience. He is VERY charasmatic. He can rope you in and make you feel real good about yourself and your life no matter how you are living it. They pass out little pieces of paper with the days lessions for you to fill in the blanks on and follow along with much like a Junior High professor would do.

But the more you look at these notes, the more you realize it's one verse with his points followed by another verse with his points. He chooses very "liberal" translations to pull his verses from. Most of the time the verses have nothing to do with each other and are taken out of context. NOT ONCE in the year I went there did he open up the Bible and start reading from and and teaching it. You realize after a while that his services are self help stradegies that he has come up with and he looks for Bible verses to back up what he thinks.

Is he "purpose-ly" (pun intended) doing this? I can't say for sure. The dude seems VERY selfless and he is NOT in this to make gobs of money like some of the televangelists you see. He lives in the same house he always has and he drives a Ford. But he is misguided in a lot of his teachings.

I also would be interested in what capacity he was involved in with some of the people on Ron Brown's list earlier in the thread. Was it him taking good ideas by these people that didn't go against God's word, or was it deeper than that? Because I hate to break it to everyone, non-Christians and people of other faiths sometimes have very valuable insights that Chrisitans can use. Not saying to use their philosphies when it comes to views on who and what God is, but I've heard some very wise truths that line up with the Bible come out of non-Christians

This guy is a false prophet, he is dangerous, not of God, a real con man
Read some of Warren Smith works about this guy Rick.
Ricks church is very much the profile of the coming anti christ church the church of the new spirituality.
God Bless
Randy

Adam168
Nov 17th 2008, 06:21 PM
Whenever tempted, reveal your struggle to a godly friend or support group.

Who could you ask to be a spiritual partner to help you defeat a persistent temptation by praying for you?

While you were given a brand new nature at the moment of conversion, you still have old habits, patterns, and practices that need to be removed and replaced.

Adam168
Nov 18th 2008, 05:31 PM
In what area of your spiritual growth do you need to be more patient and persistant?

You were put on earth to make a contribution.

You weren't created just to consume resources-to eat, breathe, and take up space. God designed you to make a difference with your life.

Adam168
Nov 19th 2008, 09:31 PM
You were created to ADD to life on earth.

You were created to serve God.

If you have no love for others, no desire to serve others, you should question whether Jesus is really in your life.

Adam168
Nov 20th 2008, 11:33 PM
Whenever you serve others in any way, you are actually serving God.

You're not saved BY service, but you are saved FOR service.

It cost Jesus his own life to purchase your salvation.

Adam168
Nov 21st 2008, 08:57 PM
Through salvation our past has been forgiven, our present is given meaning, and our future is secured.

Our loving service to others shows that we are truly saved.

A saved heart is one that wants to serve.

Adam168
Nov 25th 2008, 01:27 AM
God says every member of his family is a minister.

We are saved to serve, not to sit around and wait for heaven.

Have you ever wondered why God doesn't just immediately take us to heaven the moment we accept his grace? Why does he leave us in a fallen world? He leaves us here to fulfill his purposes.

Adam168
Nov 25th 2008, 10:04 PM
Anytime you use your God-given abilities to help others and spread the news of Jesus, you are fulfilling your calling.

In some churches in China, they welcome new believers by saying "Jesus now has a new pair of eyes to see with, new ears to listen with, and new hands to help with, and a new heart to love others with."

God has a ministry for you in his church and a mission for you in the world.

Adam168
Nov 26th 2008, 11:50 PM
You are called to serve God.

Regardless of your job or career, you are called to FULL-TIME Christian service.

One reason why you need to be connected to a church family is to fulfill your calling to serve other believers in practical ways.

Adam168
Nov 27th 2008, 11:57 PM
Your service is desperately needed in the Body of Christ-just ask any local church. Each of us has a role to play, and every role is important.

There is no small service to God; it ALL matters. All of it.

There are no insignificant ministries in the church. Some are visible and some are behind the scenes, but all are valuable. Small ministries often make the biggest difference. There is no correlation between size and significance. Every ministry matters because we are all deoendent on each other to function.

Adam168
Nov 29th 2008, 03:52 AM
Today thousands of local churches are dying because of Christians who are unwilling to serve. They sit on the sidelines as spectators, and the Body suffers.

You are commanded to serve God. Jesus was unmistakable:"Your attitude MUST be like my own, for I, the Messiah, did not come to be saved, but to serve and to give my life."

For Christians, service is not optional, something to be tacked onto our schedules if we can spare the time. It is the heart of the Christian life.

minnesotaice
Nov 29th 2008, 01:25 PM
I have read the book Purpose Driven Life and I have gotten alot out of the book. I guess I am what you call a new-age Christian because yes I love the Lord and I have an awesome relationship with Him, but for someone to sit there and bash a teacher, bash teaching is just very hard for me to take. I just went through one of the most devastating times in my life with my divorce and now the issues in my divorce, one of those run to the cross or run away from the cross things that many of us go through. Yes I got comfort from the word but I also in my time of devastation (for lack of a better word) I read Purpose Driven Life and now I am reading Joel Osteen's books, I have also read a couple of Joyce Meyer's books as well as one by Juanita Bynum. The words of those teachers have kept me going. As I read through their books I sit there with my bible and look up the scriptures and meditate on the scriptures they give. In all of this I have found this awesome want to KNOW the Lord not just know ABOUT Him. There is a huge difference. In fact I even have the principles of the Purpose Driven Life from a class I took on it when it first came out and I hav moved like 7 times and each time that list has moved with me and has the same spot of honor --on my refrigerator in each home I have lived in where I can see them each and everyday. To the Poster: I got alot out of you posting what you are learning through the book and I pray that it makes you a better person as you study that book, I know it did me. Dont let people tell you any different about Rick Warren I have found him and Robert Schuller, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, Juanita Bynum, and others to be very uplifting. There are so many people that have like this list "What you need to do to be a Christian" and really Christ tells us to love others and have a realtionship with Him...thats all we need to do.

Yes it is a book that is pleasing to the mind and eye but from what I remember when I read it, it didn't confront my sin. That is what having a relationship with God does, it confronts sin in your life. Not just tell you that you have a destiny that you can control with your choices. The preachers you mentioned have some good things and some biblical things to say, but you need to go to the Word to be confronted with your sin and repent. Not sure that Warren does that.

-SEEKING-
Nov 29th 2008, 05:57 PM
Wow. I recently picked this book back up. I'm only like on day 7 but haven't really noticed anything that really contradicts scripture. Maybe I do read too fast.

Revinius
Nov 30th 2008, 07:38 AM
It's not just contradictions you need to look for but what he isnt telling people. That in itself is a more insidious misuse of the Word. I saw a talk he gave (which is prolly on youtube) to a bunch of unbelievers and he told them "you know, God smiles when you be yourself" - What the..... he said that to non-christians? What about 'repent'? What about their 'sin'? Non-Christians need to be told in love that they are sick (as am i) and they need to repent.... God indeed doesnt 'smile when we are who we are' which is foolish disgusting arrogant betrayers of Him.

minnesotaice
Nov 30th 2008, 02:50 PM
It's not just contradictions you need to look for but what he isnt telling people. That in itself is a more insidious misuse of the Word. I saw a talk he gave (which is prolly on youtube) to a bunch of unbelievers and he told them "you know, God smiles when you be who yourself" - What the..... he said that to non-christians? What about 'repent'? What about their 'sin'? Non-Christians need to be told in love that they are sick (as am i) and they need to repent.... God indeed doesnt 'smile when we are who we are' which is foolish disgusting arrogant betrayers of Him.

Exactly!!

When I read it, I walked away feeling pretty good about myself and then I realized that i didn't want a relationship with God like that. Nor does he.

Adam168
Dec 1st 2008, 04:38 AM
Jesus came "to serve" and "to give"-and those two verbs should define your life on earth.

Holy living consists of doing God's work with a smile.

We must act on what we know and practice what we claim to believe.

Adam168
Dec 2nd 2008, 02:04 AM
Study without service leads to spiritual stagnation.

Christians need SERVING experiences in which they can exercise their spiritual muscles.

As we mature in Christ, the focus of our lives should increasingly shift to living a life of service.

SammeyDW
Dec 2nd 2008, 04:15 AM
It's not just contradictions you need to look for but what he isnt telling people. That in itself is a more insidious misuse of the Word. I saw a talk he gave (which is prolly on youtube) to a bunch of unbelievers and he told them "you know, God smiles when you be yourself" - What the..... he said that to non-christians? What about 'repent'? What about their 'sin'? Non-Christians need to be told in love that they are sick (as am i) and they need to repent.... God indeed doesnt 'smile when we are who we are' which is foolish disgusting arrogant betrayers of Him.

HUH?:confused
God DOES smile when we, reject the image that the world wants us to be and who God made us to be. Which is who we are.

God defines who we are.
And Rick says He smiles when we are who we are,
and not what the world wants.
So the problem is??:confused

minnesotaice
Dec 2nd 2008, 01:03 PM
Sammy,

We are not supposed to be who we are, we are supposed to be transforming to being more like Christ. That involves tons of work, repentance, prayer and bible reading. Being who we are to the world means being comfortable and doing the things that I want to do.

The NT says that when we become God's, our self dies and we are born a new creation. I don't think that is the message in Warren's book. I don't know what he personally believes, but his book doesn't say that.

SammeyDW
Dec 2nd 2008, 04:02 PM
Sammy,

We are not supposed to be who we are, we are supposed to be transforming to being more like Christ. That involves tons of work, repentance, prayer and bible reading. Being who we are to the world means being comfortable and doing the things that I want to do.

The NT says that when we become God's, our self dies and we are born a new creation. I don't think that is the message in Warren's book. I don't know what he personally believes, but his book doesn't say that.

Ok, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.
Because as I tried to say.
We are to be how Christ made us, not how the damaged by sin creature that the world produces.
We are all different , partially because of sin.
Partially because Christ doesn't want a bunch of clones.
And because Christ had a roll in our creation even before our parents were born.
He made us to be who we truly are.
Are we to become more like Christ? Absolutely!
But we are to true to the plan, purpose, goals, etc. that Christ has for each one of us, and yours maybe different then your neighbors.
Because it is only through Christ that we find who we truly are.
And that it what Christ wants us to be, who we truly are in Christ.

Also, Rick's books don't speak of salvation derectly that I can tell.
But I have read The Purpose Driven Life and I think it is aimed more at pouple who already know Christ.

Revinius
Dec 2nd 2008, 06:26 PM
Ok, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.
Because as I tried to say.
We are to be how Christ made us, not how the damaged by sin creature that the world produces.
We are all different , partially because of sin.
Partially because Christ doesn't want a bunch of clones.
And because Christ had a roll in our creation even before our parents were born.
He made us to be who we truly are.
Are we to become more like Christ? Absolutely!
But we are to true to the plan, purpose, goals, etc. that Christ has for each one of us, and yours maybe different then your neighbors.
Because it is only through Christ that we find who we truly are.
And that it what Christ wants us to be, who we truly are in Christ.

Also, Rick's books don't speak of salvation derectly that I can tell.
But I have read The Purpose Driven Life and I think it is aimed more at pouple who already know Christ.

Dont be silly and 'agree to disagree', that is what the relativist pagans do. Agree to find truth, both of you. I will not be held accountable by God for someone going through the 'wide gate' when there is something i can do, and neither should you lot. And that precisely means not compromising on the search for truth.

The talk i was mentioning when Warren said "God smiles when you be who you are" was to non-christians and was not clarified as being post conversion. I see this as paramount to validating their lifestyle, which is prolly one of the gravest sins a teacher can committ. You can sugar coat or explain his message any way you like but much of what comes from his mouth is theologically weak if not altogether heresy.

As for the 'purpose driven life', check out this clip by John MacArthur which i find sums up it's weaknesses well. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9EzMWZoag

I am not saying people arent getting some good from this book, but the core of all things is important, and i think Warren demonstrates in his many facets that he is not a reliable guy to get instruction and/or support from as a younger believer.

MOTC7
Dec 2nd 2008, 06:36 PM
Dont be silly and 'agree to disagree', that is what the relativist pagans do. Agree to find truth, both of you. I will not be held accountable by God for someone going through the 'wide gate' when there is something i can do, and neither should you lot. And that precisely means not compromising on the search for truth.

The talk i was mentioning when Warren said "God smiles when you be who you are" was to non-christians and was not clarified as being post conversion. I see this as paramount to validating their lifestyle, which is prolly one of the gravest sins a teacher can committ. You can sugar coat or explain his message any way you like but much of what comes from his mouth is theologically weak if not altogether heresy.

As for the 'purpose driven life', check out this clip by John MacArthur which i find sums up it's weaknesses well. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9EzMWZoag

I am not saying people arent getting some good from this book, but the core of all things is important, and i think Warren demonstrates in his many facets that he is not a reliable guy to get instruction and/or support from as a younger believer.

Well said. Mon the Aussie.

Adam168
Dec 2nd 2008, 09:44 PM
The mature follower of Jesus stops asking, "who's going to meet MY needs?" and starts asking, "whose needs can I meet?"

At the end of your life on earth you will stand before God and he is going to evaluate how well you served others with your life.

Service is the pathway to real significance.

Adam168
Dec 3rd 2008, 07:41 PM
One day God will compare how much time and energy we spent on ourselves compared with what we invested in serving others.

If you aren't serving, you're just existing, because life is meant for ministry. God wants you to learn to love and serve others unselfishly.

God wants to use you to make a difference in his world. He wants to work through you.

Adam168
Dec 4th 2008, 10:19 PM
What is holding you back from accepting God's call to serve him?

God never wastes anything.

Before God created you, he decided what role he wanted you to play on earth. He planned exactly how he wanted you to serve him, and then he shaped you for those tasks. You are the way you are because you were made for a specific ministry.

Adam168
Dec 5th 2008, 09:05 PM
You are God's handcrafted work of art. You are not an assembly-line product, mass produced without thought. You are a custom-designed, one-of-a-kind, original masterpiece.

There are different kinds of service in the church, but it is the same Lord we are serving.

Remember, the greatest things in life are not THINGS. Meaning is far more important than money.

Adam168
Dec 9th 2008, 05:12 AM
Figure out what you love to do-what God gave you a heart to do-and then do it for his glory.

In what way can you see yourself passionately serving others and loving it?

What you're able to do, God wants you to do.

Adam168
Dec 9th 2008, 10:30 PM
All of our abilities come from God.

You are a bundle of incredible abilities, an amazing creation of God.

Every ability can be used for God's glory.

Adam168
Dec 10th 2008, 04:06 AM
God wants to redeem human beings from Satan and reconcile them to himself so we can fulfill the five purposes he created us for:to love him, to be a part of his family, to become like him, to serve him, and to tell others about him.

Once we are his, God uses us to reach others. He saves us and then sends us out.

We are the messengers of God's love and purposes to the world.

Your mission is a continuation of Jesus' mission on earth. As his followers, we are to continue what Jesus started.

Adam168
Dec 10th 2008, 06:16 AM
In the Great Commission Jesus said, "Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to do everything I have told you." This commission was given to EVERY follower of Jesus, not to pastors and missionaries alone. This is YOUR commission from Jesus, and it is not optional. These words of Jesus are not the Great Suggestion. If you are a part of God's family, your mission is mandatory. To ignore it would be disobedience.

Adam168
Dec 10th 2008, 09:05 PM
You are the only Christian some people will ever know, and your mission is to share Jesus with them.

Your mission is a wonderful privilege. Although it is a big responsibility, it is also an incredible honor to be used by God.

Your mission involves two great privileges:working with God and representing him. We get to partner with God in the building of his kingdom.

Jesus has secured our salvation, put us in his family, given us his Spirit, and then made us his agents in the world. What a privilege!

Adam168
Dec 11th 2008, 04:32 AM
The Bible says, "We're Christ's representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them. We're speaking for Christ himself now:Become friends wth God."

Telling others how they can have eternal life is the greatest thing you can do for them.

We have the greatest news in the world, and sharing it is the greatest kindness you can show to anyone.

The Great Commission was given to EVERY follower of Jesus.

Adam168
Dec 11th 2008, 11:46 PM
Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

The Bible is filled with examples of different abilities that God uses for his glory. Here are just a few of those mentioned in Scripture:artistic ability, architectural ability, administering, baking, boat making, debating, designing, farming, fishing, gardening, leading, managing, masonry, making music, making weapons, needle work, painting, planting, inventing, machinability, carpentry, sailing, selling, being a soldier, tailoring, teaching, writing literature and poetry.

Adam168
Dec 12th 2008, 09:30 PM
God has a place in his church where your specialities can shine and you can make a difference.

Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.

Realize your abilities come from God and give him the credit.

Adam168
Dec 20th 2008, 05:59 AM
For God to use your painful experiences, you must be willing to share them.

It feels good to do what God made you to do.

What have been your most meaningful times with God?

Adam168
Dec 22nd 2008, 02:25 PM
How have you served God in the past?

What problems, hurts, thorns, and trials have you learned from?

God intentionally allows you to go through painful experiences to equip you for ministry to others.

reformedct
Dec 22nd 2008, 07:10 PM
i too have been concerned about Rick but this is my view:

God is in control, and it doesnt seem so far that Rick has preached anything outrageously heretical

all we can do is pray for him that he will do and teach what is right, that the Lord will get a hold of his heart and guide him

Rick may realize he is getting a little off and repent
or he may not and it may be that he is indeed a false teacher

lets not stress ourselves out about this

it is good to be careful who you are listening to and to let each other know to keep an eye out for false teachings, but in the end people will do and say what they will. As believers we know what is right and what is not. If warren goes off the deep end, thats what he will do.

lets just pray for him and get on with our lives enjoying God and the people of Christ.

even if every evangelical leader in America turns to paganism and universalism(both very false ideologies), are we strong enough to stand in rejoicing before God by ourselves?

im just saying maybe we should let God be God

"the Lord knows who are His"

the good news is that in the end everything will be made right by Jesus
lets keep that in mind, because it seems that the world is changing and we are about to see some very strange sad things taking place, especially in the world of Christianity

i also used to get stressed about false teachers and log onto sites like sliceoflaodecia and all that but it just robbed me of my joy and relationship with God so i decided to let it go. If i see or hear these guys teaching something false it doesnt change my personal relationship with God.

also i will not tell people to stop listening to this one or that one unless i know exactly what im talking about.

just my opinion

Revinius
Dec 22nd 2008, 07:57 PM
read my posts on him and tell me what you think reformedct. I for one think anyone teaching: All religions are a path to God and (to non-christians) God likes it when you be who you are Is heresy of the type many of the great heretics of old would be proud of.

romeo_bible
Dec 22nd 2008, 09:03 PM

It's not about you.
It's all for him.
Worship is a lifestyle.

I don't know what book you are reading but be careful on the things you read or see.
Who can count the many ways God gets his Glory. Is that person in God's mind or is he in His counsel or even an advisor to the Creator on the ways He shall get his glory? Has he ever seen the Glory of God from the beginning to the end? People where is the wisdom? Fools, we all have become insane.
Worship is a lifestyle? Fashion is a lifestyle. Fools have we become. I give thanks to you Lord in the third heavens for your everlasting mercy even after transgressing your commandment and bending your Word to our tradition.
The word of God is not a Lifestyle. And God did not make us to love us. Has a painter ever held his illustration higher than himself. Does he not praise his talents and move to a better project or painting? For the paintings glorify the painter and the work of his hands not the painter sacrificing his future projects for an old painting.
Who has seen God smile? Who? How did he smile? did he have a tooth, a tongue? What was his lips like?
You talked metaphoric? so do I. Nothing have we done on this earth shall bring delight to the Most high if not through his anointed son Jesus son of David that make us new in his blood.

SammeyDW
Dec 23rd 2008, 05:26 AM
What I learned, Rick summed up on the first page,
"It's not about you."

It is not about your wants, dreams, goals, needs, etc.
It's all about God's purpose for you to serve Him, others, and be a witness to the world.
And if you do this God will fill your 'need cup' to overflowing.

Revinius
Dec 23rd 2008, 05:31 AM
What I learned, Rick summed up on the first page,
"It's not about you."

It is not about your wants, dreams, goals, needs, etc.
It's all about God's purpose for you to serve Him, others, and be a witness to the world.
And if you do this God will fill your 'need cup' to overflowing.

Wow, never thought i would get negative feedback for simply quoting someone. Try and refute what i say instead of attacking my character on this board please, or alternatively keep your opinion to yourself if you have nothing better to say. The world is full of people who are irrational, and i hope and pray to God Christians try and hold themselves above that.

Adam168
Dec 29th 2008, 02:48 AM
The Bible says, "He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.

For God to use your painful experiences, you must be willing to share them.

What you are is God's gift to you; what you do with yourself is your gift to God.

Adam168
Dec 31st 2008, 12:29 AM
God deserves your best.

What God-given ability or personal experience can you offer to your church?

What will you do with what you've been through? Don't waste your pain; use it to help others.

Adam168
Dec 31st 2008, 08:22 PM
Jesus shaped you for a purpose, and he expects you to make the most of what you have been given.

You will never know what you're good at until you try.

Be sure to use the abilities God has given you. Put these abilities to work.

Adam168
Jan 2nd 2009, 10:43 PM
How can you make the best use of what God has given you?

We serve God by serving others.

God determines your greatness by how many people you serve, not how many people serve you.

Adam168
Jan 6th 2009, 12:38 AM
God shaped you for SERVICE, not for self-centeredness.

Are you available to God anytime?

Adam168
Jan 7th 2009, 06:51 PM
Servants are always on the lookout for ways to help others.

Never tell your neighbors to wait until tomorrow if you can help them now.

Adam168
Jan 9th 2009, 01:18 PM
Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you can.

No task is beneath you when you have a servant's heart.

pc_benz
Jan 9th 2009, 09:39 PM
Adam just curious about something, you just posted up about 8 straight post which appears to be comments about God and humans. God's relationship to us and our relationship to others and Him. If this is not accurate please forgive me.

The thing I'm curious about is, where is your comment referring to the reason Christ came? Did not Christ come to save His people from their sin? Did not Christ command all people everywhere to repent because a day of judgment is coming? What in your opinion is the main reason Christ came?

I'm all for the feel good preaching, but not when it is taking away from what we are supposed to be truly preaching. You might ask what that is.

God is Holy
Human is depraved and wicked
God and man can never come together without God doing something
What does God do? He causes humans to be born again (regeneration).
God calls all to repentance towards Him for violating His law.
Those who do not turn from their sin and place all their faith in Christ will burn in hell forever.
Christ is the only way.
Only in Christ can you live.
Outside of Christ you are dead still in your sins and will exist in hell forever.

The only thing that matters in this life is for people to know that they cannot violate God's law. Justice has to be served. It does not matter how good a preacher makes you feel, die in sin and spend an eternity in hell.

Adam168
Jan 10th 2009, 12:42 PM
Jesus says this to you: "I can replace the frustration in your heart with peace. I can replace your guilt and shame with forgiveness. I can replace your worry and anxiety with confidence. I can replace your depression with real hope. I can fill your emptiness with meaning and purpose. If you'll trust me completely, I can replace your confusion with clarity. But I'm not going to break down the door of your heart. You've got to invite me in." Aren't you ready to do that?

pc_benz
Jan 10th 2009, 05:04 PM
Jesus says this to you: "I can replace the frustration in your heart with peace. I can replace your guilt and shame with forgiveness. I can replace your worry and anxiety with confidence. I can replace your depression with real hope. I can fill your emptiness with meaning and purpose. If you'll trust me completely, I can replace your confusion with clarity. But I'm not going to break down the door of your heart. You've got to invite me in." Aren't you ready to do that?

First please note scripture where Jesus says the above. Second what do you mean with "break down the door of your heart." Do you mean literally my heart. Please find one verse in scripture where Jesus says we have to invite him into our heart. The verse in Rev. most people think about is taken out of context.

Let me also say your idea of Jesus is not my idea of Jesus. Your jesus is standing on the outside begging like a weak little god for people to let him in. My idea of Jesus is the King of Universe who came to call all people to repent of sin (violation of His moral Law - Liars, Thieves, Etc..), who does not stand idle on the side line hoping someone will invite Him in, but who commands you to repent and believe. The true Jesus Lord of all lords needs no one to let them in. Don't insult the Great I AM making Him seem like He has no power over salvation.

You ask "Am I ready to do that?" I will reply that I have tasted the holiness of Christ by no means other than God's grace, which I pray all people do, and have seen myself in truth. What do I look like you might ask? Well I look like filth, sin and wickedness pouring from my pours. When you truly see the holiness of God this is what happens. Study Isaiah 6:1-7 and see Isaiah come undone (ruined), or study Luke 5:1-11 and see Simon (Peter) come undone also (Simon says, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.")

All this feel good preaching, "Come and let Jesus give you a wonderful life" is a bunch of nonsense. The only thing the person needs to know is there is a way not to perish in hell, a way to have your sins forgiven and eternal life, that they should not come for a better life, but to escape the wrath to come. Christians are promised trails, tribulations and persecutions. If God is calling you, don’t wait, but come and taste the Living Water. But let no man, woman or child be deceived that coming to the King requires dying to self and giving up all this world offers. You will be hated because He was hated first.

Do we receive peace when God causes us to be born again? Of course we do, but this peace should never be used as a draw card for coming to Christ.

Adam168
Jan 10th 2009, 07:27 PM
You develop a servant's heart when you're willing to do anything needed.

Servants finish their tasks, fulfill their responsibilities, keep their promises, and complete their commitments. They are trustworthy and dependable.

Revinius
Jan 11th 2009, 11:32 PM
First please note scripture where Jesus says the above. Second what do you mean with "break down the door of your heart." Do you mean literally my heart. Please find one verse in scripture where Jesus says we have to invite him into our heart. The verse in Rev. most people think about is taken out of context.

Let me also say your idea of Jesus is not my idea of Jesus. Your jesus is standing on the outside begging like a weak little god for people to let him in. My idea of Jesus is the King of Universe who came to call all people to repent of sin (violation of His moral Law - Liars, Thieves, Etc..), who does not stand idle on the side line hoping someone will invite Him in, but who commands you to repent and believe. The true Jesus Lord of all lords needs no one to let them in. Don't insult the Great I AM making Him seem like He has no power over salvation.

You ask "Am I ready to do that?" I will reply that I have tasted the holiness of Christ by no means other than God's grace, which I pray all people do, and have seen myself in truth. What do I look like you might ask? Well I look like filth, sin and wickedness pouring from my pours. When you truly see the holiness of God this is what happens. Study Isaiah 6:1-7 and see Isaiah come undone (ruined), or study Luke 5:1-11 and see Simon (Peter) come undone also (Simon says, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.")

All this feel good preaching, "Come and let Jesus give you a wonderful life" is a bunch of nonsense. The only thing the person needs to know is there is a way not to perish in hell, a way to have your sins forgiven and eternal life, that they should not come for a better life, but to escape the wrath to come. Christians are promised trails, tribulations and persecutions. If God is calling you, don’t wait, but come and taste the Living Water. But let no man, woman or child be deceived that coming to the King requires dying to self and giving up all this world offers. You will be hated because He was hated first.

Do we receive peace when God causes us to be born again? Of course we do, but this peace should never be used as a draw card for coming to Christ.

Adam doesnt respond to people mate, so don't get your hopes up. :dunno:

Adam168
Jan 12th 2009, 03:14 AM
God has promised to reward your faithfulness in eternity.

Your ministry matters to the kingdom of God.

Adam168
Jan 13th 2009, 10:05 PM
Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for Him is a waste of time or effort. Even the smallest service is noticed by God and will be rewarded.

Servants think more about others than about themselves.

Servants remember that God owns it all.

Adam168
Jan 14th 2009, 07:34 PM
How are you handling the resources God has entrusted to you?

Wealth is certainly not a sin, but failing to use it for God's glory is.

Servants enjoy helping people, meeting needs, and doing ministry.

tt1106
Jan 14th 2009, 08:24 PM
Adam168, These are great thoughts, but the purpose of this forum is to discuss Christianity and Maturing in your Christian walk.
As the book is freely available, I think your purpose would be better served by condensing your thoughts and participating in the discussion. I would also like to encourage you to check out the Blog section. If you would like to summarize your thoughts and provide an article on your favorite portion, that would be a great way to do it.
You are providing alot of food, but you really need to allow it to be chewed and digested.
Thanks,

-God Bless

-Todd

Adam168
Jan 14th 2009, 08:57 PM
Are you usually more concerned about BEING served or finding ways to serve others?

Jesus calls us not only to come to Him, but to go for Him.

Pilgrimtozion
Jan 15th 2009, 12:35 AM
This thread is not going anywhere. I'm closing it down.