PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Pressing peoples buttons

poochie
Aug 22nd 2008, 04:16 AM
Moderators this post may be off topic and if so I apologize but I believe its necessary here.

--
I have pressed some of your buttons with my views on the role of women in ministry. I apologize for that and shalt not mention it again. We shall agree to disagree on this one.

Everyone has buttons and evangelicals as well as Fundamentalists have them.

In Fundamentalism speaking against legalism and about liberty, using a non KJV Translation from the pulpit, or using contemporary worship will create firestorms.

I taught a message on freedom in Christ in a Fundamental church recently and it created a firestorm. So perhaps that was a bad move. Or perhaps I planted a seed.

But regardless I offended many of you recently with my post and my views on the role of women in the ministry and for that I apologize.

Poochie

Ron Brown
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:16 AM
You are just teaching what you believe my Christian friend, so I don't see why you should have to apologize for your convictions?:confused

amazzin
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:26 AM
Moderators this post may be off topic and if so I apologize but I believe its necessary here.

--
I have pressed some of your buttons with my views on the role of women in ministry. I apologize for that and shalt not mention it again. We shall agree to disagree on this one.

In Fundamentalism speaking against legalism and about liberty, using a non KJV Translation from the pulpit, or using contemporary worship will create firestorms.

I taught a message on freedom in Christ in a Fundamental church recently and it created a firestorm. So perhaps that was a bad move. Or perhaps I planted a seed.

But regardless I offended many of you recently with my post and my views on the role of women in the ministry and for that I apologize.

Poochie

Poochie
This is might big of you to say this. May we all learn to be so gracious.

poochie
Aug 22nd 2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah but in the non-essential areas this seems to really tick some off. So instead of having a major stumbling block its better not to make a big deal about them.

You are just teaching what you believe my Christian friend, so I don't see why you should have to apologize for your convictions?:confused

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 22nd 2008, 11:10 AM
Well since you opened this up, here's my feedback, shared with love...

Why are you so focused on labels, categorizing, and yes even stereotyping?

All of your posts come at us as the gospel according to Poochie, and thus come as a negative of Hey I want to hear from all the Calvinists, or hey, any Fundamentals out there, or all of you [fill in the blank], I want to write about you.

It would be better if you have defended your own doctrinal position instead of bringing down another's position, whether right or wrong.

Each of us has our own doctrines, each of us have differences, but the question sits, are we are brothers and sisters in Christ? For if we are, then let love rule...

So my comments are that your motives seemed questionable by how you structured your posts, but I must say, I do have to look at my own heart now-- based on this thread, for I am just as guilty at times... And for that, this is your best post to date.

Thank you.

mcgyver
Aug 22nd 2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Poochie,

First of all, your apology shows a depth of Christian grace and love that is wonderful to see...Thank you.

Secondly, having perused your website, I can see that you have been seeking feed back many times on articles that you've written or are writing...and this also is a good thing!

Thirdly (and I say this lovingly): There is nothing wrong with stating your viewpoints and interpretation of scripture, but I have found that one must be circumspect in the manner in which one states their viewpoints.

Unlike real life where we can see facial expressions, hear tone of voice, and give instant clarifications to points that have been misunderstood...here on the board it is easy to be taken "the wrong way". :P

Don't sweat it...

Let me share something that has been both an eye-opener; and also one of the biggest blessings to me personally (and one of the biggest reasons I enjoy coming here):

There are devoted, loving, Christ-honoring Christians that (gasp) don't agree with my stands on every issue! :lol:

That's why this board is for "the deeper exploration" of the Christian faith...so keep on posting! :hug:

poochie
Aug 22nd 2008, 04:34 PM
Replies are within the post

Hi Poochie,

First of all, your apology shows a depth of Christian grace and love that is wonderful to see...Thank you.

Thanks..

Secondly, having perused your website, I can see that you have been seeking feed back many times on articles that you've written or are writing...and this also is a good thing!I get them from time to time. The manor in which one dishes out the criticism is a factor. However sometimes even harsh critics can help. I had a really nasty man on me for a long time trying always to correct my grammar and complaining and complaining about this. Not my website but in my posts. Regardless of how many times I asked him to stop he continued. Perhaps then grammar in posts can be a factor and a stumbling block for some people.

Thirdly (and I say this lovingly): There is nothing wrong with stating your viewpoints and interpretation of scripture, but I have found that one must be circumspect in the manner in which one states their viewpoints. I dont see the Apostles, Jesus nor Paul doing this. I read they were very much hated.

And after having took a History of Preaching course were I studied all the preachers of the past, I read biographies about a number of them that were very much hated because of their bible preaching stance.

There are devoted, loving, Christ-honoring Christians that (gasp) don't agree with my stands on every issue! :lol:

That's why this board is for "the deeper exploration" of the Christian faith...so keep on posting! :hug:Amen to that.

mcgyver
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:14 PM
Hey Brother!

I dont see the Apostles, Jesus nor Paul doing this. I read they were very much hated.

And after having took a History of Preaching course were I studied all the preachers of the past, I read biographies about a number of them that were very much hated because of their bible preaching stance.

Most certainly!

After all, if we still sought to please men we would not be servants of Christ!

All I meant ref. being "circumspect" in the manner of presentation was this:

That because we are dealing with the written word in a "virtual discussion" instead of a face-to-face discussion, it is far easier to be "taken the wrong way". :P

I have found that the best way to end fruitful discussion is to cause a "Bee-stung-dog/knee-jerk" reaction, which of course causes the mind to instantly slam shut...so I try to be very careful as to how I word my posts in order to make the desired points...whether others agree with them or not. :hug:

Slug1
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:37 PM
Poochie, get used to it... I've been on this board for about 3 years and there are still Christian's who say I'm condemned for serving in the military as a Christian. As you can see, I'm still here, not condemned by God for my service and I'm still serving soldiers as God had prepared me for such a ministry with the path He placed me on as a soldier in the military.

amazzin
Aug 22nd 2008, 05:47 PM
Poochie

When you were studying which preachers did you like and dislike? I have an huge interest in this area and would love to hear your thoughts?

poochie
Aug 23rd 2008, 02:49 AM
Poochie

When you were studying which preachers did you like and dislike? I have an huge interest in this area and would love to hear your thoughts?

Usually the hardcore Fundamentalists.

However listening or reading them preach is far easier than living in their culture.

Edwards, Spurgen and such are 2. But I could look at my textbooks and recall what I highlighted.

The course was a graduate level course where we covered the lives of a half a dozen preachers over the years since the very beginning of Christianity. Although I memorized half a dozen names, periods and such for the exams and quizzes I cant recall much at this time.

Thats the issue with rigid memorization and the advantage to an interactive classroom environment and the advantage to writing a paper. But it seems that this is not exactly the way my Fundamentalist seminary operates as they reject modern Psychology educational methods.

crossnote
Aug 23rd 2008, 06:57 AM

--

Poochie

Your views on a topic should be seen as just that...your views. We should be mature enough on these forums (except in a forum like 'New Christians') to hear out the other person no matter how much we disagree. The problem that happens is that some peoples views become so personal to them that a challenge of the persons view is taken as a personal attack. The person who is that sensitive needs to step back from their narcissism and calmly state,explain and defend their views without interpreting a challenge as a personal attack or launching their own salvo of ad hominems.
I much more admire a forum where we can boldly state our positions as adults without always having to raise our 'sensitivity antennae' lest we offend.
I was called on the carpet the other day by a moderator for making a poke at 'name tags' used by church greeters. It seemed to 'offend' some of the posters. All they had to do (and some did) was state their case and let me state my defense.
Even toleration can become a legalistic ideal where all are tolerated except the 'intolerant'.

poochie
Aug 23rd 2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with you. But unfortunately most people do not. People should not interpret my views as a personal attack, but they do it anyway. No one can give me any evidence that I personally attacked any, so they will claim that my views are the attack.

Your views on a topic should be seen as just that...your views. We should be mature enough on these forums (except in a forum like 'New Christians') to hear out the other person no matter how much we disagree. The problem that happens is that some peoples views become so personal to them that a challenge of the persons view is taken as a personal attack. The person who is that sensitive needs to step back from their narcissism and calmly state,explain and defend their views without interpreting a challenge as a personal attack or launching their own salvo of ad hominems.
I much more admire a forum where we can boldly state our positions as adults without always having to raise our 'sensitivity antennae' lest we offend.
I was called on the carpet the other day by a moderator for making a poke at 'name tags' used by church greeters. It seemed to 'offend' some of the posters. All they had to do (and some did) was state their case and let me state my defense.
Even toleration can become a legalistic ideal where all are tolerated except the 'intolerant'.

poochie
Aug 23rd 2008, 10:07 AM
Oh and let me tell you something.

Many of the Fundamentalists have such thin skin, and I bet dollars to donuts that the complaints that the administration claims I ahve received have been by people who have inquired of my views and I have given it to them and they have taken them as attacks.

The issue with the Fundamentalists at my school is that so many of them grew up isolated away from the culture, so they are used to everyone behaving a certain way and such, and anyone that is viewed as different, they may interpret that as an attack on their traditions.