PDA

View Full Version : Discussion In the World but not of it...

poochie
Aug 23rd 2008, 10:18 AM
John 17:15-19 (NKJV)

15I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.16They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.17Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.18As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.19And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
Matt 5:13-15 ESV

You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. 14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the houseSo how do we live in the world but not of it? I very much value the bold Bible preaching stance of the Fundamentalists at my churches, and at my school. However the issue I have with 25-50% of the Fundamentalists here is that so many of them grew up "isolated" from the culture in their homes, schools, and churches that they cant relate. So anyone that appears out of the norm they interpret as being "odd" strange or weird.

I have been in conversations, I have been asked my views and some of my views some of them interpret as attacks. I believe those that do this are in the minority. But none the less the administration gets to hear about these views. I was asked to write a paper in a education course and I did. I wrote and said that I believe education should be interactive and I gave my philosophy and stated that Christian school is no doubt the best option, but not everyone can afford it. This view made the teacher mad, who believes that true Christians could never go to a secular school.

I have stated to others that I believe that women can pray out loud, and that women should be doing more in the church besides changing diapers, wiping noses, cooking and cleaning. But women that grew up in that lifestyle will take my views as to be an attack on the Biblical Mandate of Women and Men. However not even the president of CBMW (http://www.cbmw.org/) agrees with their interpretation which is not Biblical but clearly tradition.

So tell me. How do we live in the world but not of it? There are lots of God fearing Fundamentalists at my school, but there are also lots of traditionalists that get scared when dealing with the world.

Unfortunately since I came from a New-Evangelical background, and a Conservative Southern Baptist Church, the administration has had their eyes on me and this will remain this way.

Longsufferer
Aug 23rd 2008, 03:06 PM
“And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own Name those whom thou hast given me, that they be one, as we are.”
(John.17:11)
“My kingdom is not of this world..”
(John.18:36)
“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”
(Colossians.3:1,2)
“Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.”
(I Corithians.7:19)
“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh.”
(II Corinthians.10:3)
“For brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lusts of the flesh. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
(Galatians.5:13,15,16,25)
“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live
(Romans.8:12,13)
“Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.”
(I Corinthians.10:32,33)
“For in many things we offend all. If any man offend(ie: harm) not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.”
(James.3:2)

Frances
Aug 23rd 2008, 08:38 PM
So how do we live in the world but not of it? .
We live amongst a cross-section of humanity, but don't get involved in their unGodly lifestyles.

Christian school is no doubt the best option, but not everyone can afford it. This view made the teacher mad, who believes that true Christians could never go to a secular school. .
So how are those who are not Christians supposed to recogniose the difference between a Christian and themselves if they never get to know any?

I have stated to others that I believe that women can pray out loud, and that women should be doing more in the church besides changing diapers, wiping noses, cooking and cleaning. .
I agree with you. . . I also believe women can be excellent preachers and teachers - however, I also believe their Ministry must be under male authority (not domination)

How do we live in the world but not of it? .
We do our best to Glorify God in whatever area of secular society we find ourselves, and through every problem we meet.

the administration has had their eyes on me and this will remain this way.
So ensure you are true to the Lord in all you do . . .

Friend of I AM
Aug 23rd 2008, 08:45 PM
John 17:15-19 (NKJV)

Matt 5:13-15 ESV
So how do we live in the world but not of it?

Living by faith not by sight in Christ being the savior of mankind, despite any obstacles or adversities that come in our way during life.

SIG
Aug 23rd 2008, 09:49 PM
Recognize what causes you to stumble, and avoid it.

What causes others to stumble is not what causes me to stumble, and vice versa.

Christians who tell us ALL to avoid certain things are describing what causes THEM to stumble, and not necessarily what causes you to.

But be sure you are wearing the full armor of God and not fooling yourself in the area of stumbling. If God has equipped you to go somewhere, then go.