PDA

View Full Version : I'll never know how much it cost ...

humbled
Aug 25th 2008, 03:45 AM
You all recognize that song, right? "Here I am to worship" by Chris Tomlin ..

Well, a few of the lyrics read like this:

I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross

I've always read that in a compassionate way, in almost a sorrowful way as how Christ bore our penalty in such a painful way. I heard it tonight with another perspective ...

What about this take ... we will NEVER KNOW the penalty for our own sin in our own body/soul due to the sacrifice of Christ?! I'll never know in my own flesh what I deserved thanks to Christ. Or better said ...

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8.1-4)

Hallelujah!

Joe King
Aug 25th 2008, 03:58 AM
I agree,we will never know but will only speculate on it.

However, the spirit has told me in the past few weeks that every single one of us deserves what Christ had done to him. Every lash, every spit, every insult and the crucifixion itself, then a life of eternal seperation from God.

I'm sure that everyone has heard the tale of "the whipping boy" where the prince misbehaves and the boy was brought out to take the prince's punishment. I have been looking at it that way although I do not consider myself a prince at all. When I read that story, I said I would never do that to someone else and have them take my punishment! Yet when I sin, I did that to Jesus, my King!!!

I try to keep this in my mind and it does help you from temptation.

Esperanza32
Aug 25th 2008, 10:55 AM
Wow, what a blessing to "not know".

Thanks for sharing this...I love that song, and had never thought of it the way you explained it. :)

Redeemed by Grace
Aug 25th 2008, 12:03 PM

I've always read that in a compassionate way, in almost a sorrowful way as how Christ bore our penalty in such a painful way. I heard it tonight with another perspective ...

What about this take ... we will NEVER KNOW the penalty for our own sin in our own body/soul due to the sacrifice of Christ?! I'll never know in my own flesh what I deserved thanks to Christ. Or better said ...

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8.1-4)

Hallelujah!

Amen... thanks for bringing this truth to light.

mcgyver
Aug 25th 2008, 12:13 PM
:agree: Thanks be to God!!!

Justice: Getting exactly what we deserve.

Mercy: Not getting what we deserve.

Grace: Getting what we don't deserve.

Bryan43
Aug 25th 2008, 01:23 PM
I am sure this does not answer it completely, But I do know I can not read it without shedding a tear.

So I will share it here. it was written by RB thieme jr. I wrote it down so I could have it with me so whenever I question anything. I can read it and remember.

Taken from “THE SLAVEMARKET OF SIN” written by RB Theme Jr.

My God, My God why has though forsaken me? Far from my deliverance
Are the words of my groaning.
(Ps. 22: 1)

Jesus Christ uttered these words on the cross. Christ is God; He is also man. He quoted this scripture from his Humanity addressing God the Father. Christ knew perfectly well why the Father was forsaking him. This was the purpose for which Jesus had been born into the world. The Father was forsaking the humanity of Christ as part of Judging Him for the sins of mankind. The sins of mankind were being imputed to Him, and He was taking the punishment due to every human being who would ever live. So horrible was this judgment to His sinless humanity that he expressed his agony by repeating again and again from the Psalm of David. The Hebrew word for “groaning” meant our Lord was screaming in the pain of divine judgement.

You must realize just why Jesus Christ was screaming, and you must have some picture of what happened to our Lord prior to that time. Jesus had just endured 6 trials. During this time men had lied about him (no one enjoys being maligned) and yet Jesus kept quiet. He did not answer or fight back. When the court was finished taking the testimony, they could not draw an indictment because the false witnesses did not agree. Men began to step up and have a little fun at His expense. They took turns slugging, cursing and spitting on him. As the Bible says “ he was buffeted” which is simply the Greek word for “Slugged” (Matt 26:67; Mark 14:65)Is. 52:14 tells us that he was so badly beaten that the features of His face were completely destroyed, and yet He stood up and took it all and lived.

In between all of this punching, other men came up and said, ”so you are the prophet huh? Then prophesy, who hit you!” Boom! They slapped him; they hit him (matt26:68). At one point during these trials He was stripped to the waist, His hands tied above his head, and then He was scourged (literally “Skinned alive with a whip”). The Romans used a “Mastix” a very brutal type of whip , to which they attached sharp bits of bone, metal and splinters- anything that would cut! Then the strongest man in the battalion would beat the victim.

Usually by this time any member of the human race would have been reduced to a screaming, incoherent hysteria, “Like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so he did not open His mouth”(Is53:7b cf Acts 8:32). He never cried out to anyone; He did not raise his voice to scream in pain. Then after the beating was over, as was Roman custom, they rubbed salt into the raw of his back to cauterize the wound. They mocked him. They scourged him; they took him to the cross.

As he hung upon the cross, it was excruciatingly painful. His bones pulled apart from the weight of His Body, slowly, miserably. The torture was unbelievable! Yet not once did he cry out – not until midday when the sun was over head. Suddenly the hill was blotted out in darkness. Then in that darkness, something happened that made Jesus scream. All of the punching, slapping, lying , maligning , torture and pain had not caused him to cry out; yet something now, something terrible made him scream! In a moment of time, your sins, my sins, and the past, present and future sins of the world were poured out on him. It was then that in his greatest agony He screamed. God the Father turned his back on Him. Why ”Because thou art Holy….”(Ps22:3)

Holiness is the combination of righteousness and justice. In Absolute Righteousness, God the Father directed his perfect justice against Christ, imputing all human sins to him and judging Him as the substitute for mankind. In that moment of time, He who knew no sin was made sin for us “that we might become the righteousness of God in him “(2Cor 5:21). So, if you want to know what made Christ scream, it was the only thing that could—your sins, my sins, and the sins of every person that ever lived.

In PS 22: 6 Christ says, “But I am the worm.” There are many different Hebrew words for worms, but this was the rarest of all. This was a special type of worm whose blood was used gathered and used in making the crimson die for the Robes of Kings. Ps 22: 6 Pictures Jesus Christ as the Worm, crushed on the cross by our sins; and as a result of his being crushed, we now wear the Robes of kings. The first 6 verses of Ps 22 actually constitute a picture of Expiation. Christ was separated from and forsaken by the Father that you and I might never be separated from God again! Another passage of expiation is found in the New Testament:

Having cancelled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against
Us by and which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way and
Nailed it to the cross (Col 2: 14)

One of the most significant metaphors in the Bible is “having cancelled out the certificate of debt” In the Greek, it is a gamblers term for the cancellation of an IOU. Now what do I owe God as a member of the Human Race? I owe him perfect righteousness, absolute righteousness. The big question is, Can I pay it? Every member of the Human race has this IOU of perfect righteousness out against him. When we check ourselves we find there is non righteous no not one (Rom. 3:10) No matter how good (righteous) we think we are. No matter how good we try to be we all fall short (Rom. 3:23) and will not pay off the debt. Someone must pay; expiation must take place. Verse 14 says literally, “ Having once and for all cancelled the IOU.” I translated that “once and for all” since this aorist tense in the Greek is a point of time, divorced from time and perpetuated forever. That is the historical event of the cross!

“Has Taken” is the perfect tense. Christ took sin out of the way in the past with the result that God’s IOU against us has been taken away forever. Where once there was a barrier, there is now nothing between you and God except the person of Jesus Christ. He cancelled the debt, nailing it to the Cross!

Puritan
Aug 25th 2008, 01:38 PM

Hallelujah!

Hey humbled, I like your interpretation. Because God knew exactly what He was doing. He ordained the fall of man, so He could redeem His people back to Himself for His glory.

9Marksfan
Aug 25th 2008, 01:51 PM
Hey humbled, I like your interpretation. Because God knew exactly what He was doing. He ordained the fall of man, so He could redeem His people back to Himself for His glory.

Hi Puritan, good to have you back! Where you been?

Puritan
Aug 25th 2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Puritan, good to have you back! Where you been?

:hmm: My posting seems to come in waves. Let's see how long this wave will be. Heeheeheee! I plan to be around for awhile, Lord willing.