PDA

View Full Version : God's Will

nleeh
Aug 26th 2008, 05:38 PM
There is so much said and preached about making sure we are in line with 'the will of God' but not always easy to identify exactly what it is.

I've only found one place in the Bible that specifically states what the will of God is. If there are other ones that state 'this (or that) is the will of God, I'd appreciate knowing. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-18 states specifically what His will is.

"Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. 16 Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Kahtar
Aug 26th 2008, 05:46 PM
My suggestion: keep looking and digging. The Word says much about God's will.

nleeh
Aug 26th 2008, 06:14 PM
Kahtar, I certainly will keep searching. Still, if there are any specific scriptures that say this is the will of God, I'd appreciate the quotes.

DadBurnett
Aug 26th 2008, 06:15 PM
Good thought provoking question.
IMHO the question, at least for me, is What is God’s Will for me, for my life? In that context the responsibility for “knowing” God’s Will is placed squarely on me. Simply reading or studying scripture, I think, is not the revelator of God’s Will for us … it does indeed point the way, does give us clues and strong imperatives, but the answers we seek is to be found only within the intense personal relationship we have with the Lord God. Then, from within the depths of that relationship, Spirit may indeed use scripture, among other things, to enlighten.

In 1 John 3:27 NAS it is said “And as for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things …”

Luke says, the Holy Spirit will teach you, Paul speaks of the believer having the mind of Christ. Such things point me back to the word of Jesus who said, “Seek first the kingdom …” When I put all of that stuff together I cannot escape the simple fact that it’s up to me to open the door (Rev. 3:20) in doing ALL things, I must first invite Him into the moment. The Holy Spirit will speak, but I must listen. And then, I must be appropriately responsive …

nleeh
Aug 26th 2008, 06:24 PM
DadBurnett, before I respond to your post, would you check to make sure where the scripture you quoted is located? I checked 1 John 3:27 NAS but the scripture must be elsewhere. Thanks.

Kahtar
Aug 26th 2008, 08:37 PM
Try 1 John 2:27. ;)
Read all of 1 John 2 in fact.
And 1 Peter chapters 2,3,4
And Romans 12, and Ephesians 6,1 Thessalonains 4,5, Hebrews 10,

That was an excellent post, BTY, DadB.

nleeh
Aug 26th 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks, I found the scripture and yes, DadBurnette, your post was excellent and helpful and affirmed a lot of what i felt in my own heart.

nleeh

jamesand57
Aug 26th 2008, 09:34 PM
There is so much said and preached about making sure we are in line with 'the will of God' but not always easy to identify exactly what it is.

I've only found one place in the Bible that specifically states what the will of God is. If there are other ones that state 'this (or that) is the will of God, I'd appreciate knowing. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-18 states specifically what His will is.

"Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. 16 Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

It seems to me, that while not perhaps all the Will of God is shown in scirpture, it does define what the will of God is:

Rom 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

All Things Good, and Acceptable and Perfect

2Co 7:9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.

That men might reach the Point of repentance and Turn to God:

2Co 7:10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

2Co 8:5 and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.

Devotion to God and to Other Christians:

Eph 6:6 not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.

Becomming Slaves of Christ

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;

Living a Sanctified life

Heb 10:36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.

Walking in faith to the End

1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,
1Pe 2:14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
1Pe 2:15 For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men.

Being in Submission to Authority

1Pe 4:19 Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.

Accepting suffering as soldiers of Christ

1Pe 5:2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;

Exercising authority in Godliness

1Jn 2:17 The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

And obtaining as your reward the Crown of Life.

DadBurnett
Aug 26th 2008, 11:11 PM
DadBurnett, before I respond to your post, would you check to make sure where the scripture you quoted is located? I checked 1 John 3:27 NAS but the scripture must be elsewhere. Thanks.
Sorry, must have had a senior moment. Take a look at 1 John 2:27

Equipped_4_Love
Aug 27th 2008, 05:45 AM
Good thought provoking question.
IMHO the question, at least for me, is What is God’s Will for me, for my life? In that context the responsibility for “knowing” God’s Will is placed squarely on me. Simply reading or studying scripture, I think, is not the revelator of God’s Will for us … it does indeed point the way, does give us clues and strong imperatives, but the answers we seek is to be found only within the intense personal relationship we have with the Lord God. Then, from within the depths of that relationship, Spirit may indeed use scripture, among other things, to enlighten.

In 1 John 3:27 NAS it is said “And as for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things …”

Luke says, the Holy Spirit will teach you, Paul speaks of the believer having the mind of Christ. Such things point me back to the word of Jesus who said, “Seek first the kingdom …” When I put all of that stuff together I cannot escape the simple fact that it’s up to me to open the door (Rev. 3:20) in doing ALL things, I must first invite Him into the moment. The Holy Spirit will speak, but I must listen. And then, I must be appropriately responsive …

Oh, that is so true. Thank you!!!!

scourge39
Aug 27th 2008, 06:32 AM
Please read Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion? by Bruce Waltke. I can't recommend it more highly. In fact, there's not another book I would ever think about recommending to others on this subject except this one. I've read all of the other popular books on this subject, and Waltke's is the only one that moves you away from popular notions and toward the clear teaching of Scripture on the subject. The chapter on Gideon's fleece in Judges 6, which has been unwittingly raped and disemboweled of its true meaning by so many well-intentioned pastors and laypeople, is worth buying the book alone. If I could purchase a copy for every Christian, I would. It addresses every possible popular technique to finding God's will that you could possibly imagine (and some that you probably aren't aware of) in a very pastoral way in light of what is plainly taught in Scripture. I never realized just how heavy on conjecture or personal opinion and light on Scripture all of the other popular books on the subject really are until I read Waltke's little book (The other books now serve as doorstops). It has revolutionized my whole approach to the Christian life, and for that I'm thankful. I read it at a time when I was faced with many life-altering decisions that I had to make, for good or ill. Thankfully, the clear teaching of Scripture (some of which I was overlooking) guided me through it all unscathed. I now truly understand what living the Christian life rather than being confined to an alleged divine blueprint is really all about. I read Waltke's book through annually as part of my devotional study just to refresh and renew my mind concerning what Scripture both says, and does not say, about finding God's will. I do this because each year brings new opportunities and important decisions with it. It would make an outstanding resource for teaching an adult Sunday school class on finding God's will. DadBurnett's post is much like what Waltke derives from Scripture, but Waltke expands that concept much further.

RogerW
Aug 27th 2008, 04:33 PM

This is why Christ came into the world!

Joh 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
Joh 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The will of God is to give eternal life to those who believe. Give eternal life, not merely offer as though eternal life can be accepted or rejected.

Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Joh 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Since Christ and the Father are one, the will of the Father is also the will of Christ.

Joh 10:30 I and my Father are one.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Many Blessings,
RW