PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Radical Fundamentalists...

poochie
Sep 1st 2008, 03:05 AM
Tonight I did not go to my normal night service but went to a small Ind Fundamental Church.

The preacher preached on Corinthians and made one jab at the NIV from the pulpit. Many of these Fundamentalists despise the NIV, yet some of the authors of the graduate level textbooks I am required to read use the NIV. I took a course in the New Testament and we covered much into the field of Textual Criticism, MSS and the reasoning behind the translations and how they came to be. But it was interesting that the textbook we used were written from evangelical scholars and the NIV was the standard quoted translation in the textbook, interesting...

Also this pastor made other indirect jabs at Evangelicals and even justified living under a system of rules or do's and dont's.

Then he said that Christians that go to secular universities or state schools are going to devil universities and are worshiping Satan. He mentioned rock music and called it devil music.

I wisely did not question his sermon, nor did I engage him in conversation.

I also did notice that women cant teach children without a male present at this church. I think they take the role of men and women too far...

I think there is some wisdom in picking my battles. Me being evangelical conservative am in the minority as few if any students on the extension ministry came from evangelical backgrounds as everyone is a born raised Fundamentalist.

Rufus_1611
Sep 1st 2008, 03:08 AM
It sounds like you were blessed to be in a good church tonight.

OrdainedLady
Sep 1st 2008, 03:15 AM

I think it sounds like he should have run screaming out the door ;)

lendtay
Sep 1st 2008, 03:16 AM
Then he said that Christians that go to secular universities or state schools are going to devil universities and are worshiping Satan. He mentioned rock music and called it devil music.

I think he is very judgmental. The fact is, many Christians must attend state universities because they can't afford to attend a private, religious university. That is just reality.

Its also a huge stereotype that people at state schools are boozing it up every weekend and sleeping around. Sure, some do, and some don't. Just like anywhere else.

Also, I left a Bible Church years ago, because they taught that Christians can not listen to secular music. Any secular music.

And my Christian friends at that church condemned me for listening to secular music and reading secular books (even classic literature). I realized I could no longer be around these people with their strict beliefs. This type of church separated me from God. I would urge anyone to not get tangled up in a church like this.

poochie
Sep 1st 2008, 03:17 AM
Are you a Fundamentalist? If so you are in the wrong board. There are many Fundamentalist boards on the web that I have visited and left. Once I was banned because I quoted from the KJVR (King James Version with Red letters).

I do not normally go to Fundamental churches that radical. The one I normally go to is perhaps the most lenient or loose of the Fundamental churches in my area. The pastor even said once that he took his son to see a movie. He also has Josh McDowell bible tracts in his church, and has mentioned evangelicals in a positive light a few times from the pulpit. I've engaged him in private conversation and he considers himself a "Classical Fundamentalist." So this is my normal church and I'm loving it.

For more on Fundamentalism read this.

http://www.fundamentalistbaptist.com/

RebeccaG
Sep 1st 2008, 03:18 AM
My opinion is that if I go to a church where they are belittling other denominations then I likely won't go back. Now, if it's only the FIRST time I've been, I might give them a few more tries before I decided I couldn't align myself with that church.

I truly have no idea why some people have such strong opinions about which translation of the bible to use. I tend to prefer the New King James, yet I'm not opposed to most of the rest of them. I don't like any that are "dumbed down" and put into "every day language". while I believe the bible needs to be accessible to your average joe, I don't think the average joe needs to be talked down to.

As for going to non-Christian universities.....um......we, as Christians have to live in a mostly un-Christian world. We cannot isolate ourselves from that by going to a Christian university.

poochie
Sep 1st 2008, 03:22 AM
Sounds like it was a Fundamentalist church.

I think he is very judgmental. The fact is, many Christians must attend state universities because they can't afford to attend a private, religious university. That is just reality.

Its also a huge stereotype that people at state schools are boozing it up every weekend and sleeping around. Sure, some do, and some don't. Just like anywhere else.

Also, I left a Bible Church years ago, because they taught that Christians can not listen to secular music. Any secular music.

And my Christian friends at that church condemned me for listening to secular music and reading secular books (even classic literature). I realized I could no longer be around these people with their strict beliefs. This type of church separated me from God. I would urge anyone to not get tangled up in a church like this.

stillforgiven
Sep 1st 2008, 03:24 AM

And yet, it was at one of these "devil's universities" that I was led to the Lord by a Christian Student group that was on the edge of campus.

Not only that, there was a church-based university in the same town as my state university that had no rules. That is were we went to party (before I got involved in the Christian group). You could get away with pretty much anything on that campus.

threebigrocks
Sep 1st 2008, 03:24 AM
Best place for this discussion is in Contro. Moving it there for continued discussion.

stillforgiven
Sep 1st 2008, 03:26 AM
My opinion is that if I go to a church where they are belittling other denominations then I likely won't go back. Now, if it's only the FIRST time I've been, I might give them a few more tries before I decided I couldn't align myself with that church.

I'm the same way.

TrustingFollower
Sep 1st 2008, 03:38 AM
Let me add this, I live in a town with a large Christian college in it. I work construction and have worked at the said college. I tell you that if this Christian college is norm then they are nor more Christian than Satan. They are in it for the money and that is all, well maybe some awards and bragging rights too. I would not send my children to this college I would rather they went to a secular school first.

threebigrocks
Sep 1st 2008, 03:40 AM
That college TF was speaking of - they hold gay pride day.

Luke34
Sep 1st 2008, 03:46 AM
Haha. "Devil's universities." I think that's become my new favorite phrase.

But seriously, that sounds like the weirdest church in the world (sadly, it of course isn't).

Devil's universities. Ha.

Rufus_1611
Sep 1st 2008, 03:49 AM
Are you a Fundamentalist? Yes.

If so you are in the wrong board. I was attracted by the sign at the door as I love my Bible and love to talk about it. As I have been participating, I've grown to understand it to be evangelical. I'm sure there is enough love and tolerance in evangelical circles to allow a Christian like me to fellowship with 'em. After all, I have become what evangelicals once were.

There are many Fundamentalist boards on the web that I have visited and left. Once I was banned because I quoted from the KJVR (King James Version with Red letters). Really? Will you send me the link to the post that got you banned?

I do not normally go to Fundamental churches that radical. The one I normally go to is perhaps the most lenient or loose of the Fundamental churches in my area. The pastor even said once that he took his son to see a movie. He also has Josh McDowell bible tracts in his church, and has mentioned evangelicals in a positive light a few times from the pulpit. I've engaged him in private conversation and he considers himself a "Classical Fundamentalist." So this is my normal church and I'm loving it. Glad you found a home.

For more on Fundamentalism read this.

http://www.fundamentalistbaptist.com/

apothanein kerdos
Sep 1st 2008, 04:04 AM
Sounds like a quasi-heretical church. I'd avoid it.

BroRog
Sep 1st 2008, 04:17 AM
If I were teaching a congregation, I would do my best to teach directly from the scriptures, and relate the meaning with high fidelity. Then, I would trust the congregation to draw their own parallels to current events and to life in general.

Literalist-Luke
Sep 1st 2008, 04:33 AM
I think it sounds like he should have run screaming out the door ;)j:agree:

I'm with OrdainedLady on this one. :yes:

IMINXTC
Sep 1st 2008, 05:47 AM
Being in the mission field, I stand at a sort of crossroads between fundamentalism and evangelicalism. While separation and application needs to be stressed for holiness, legalism is a weed that chokes the life out of any so-called fellowship.

I love my Merle Haggard, and Emmylou Harris and Moby Dick and Charles Dickens and e.e. cummings etc. They are lawful for me where there is no sin, but at what point do these things become a poor testimony or a poor lifestyle? Its obviously a case by case personal judgment-call, a personal decision most of the time. (not all the time).

Application is stressed in my world to the point where holiness is at the forefront at all times. But legalism is condemned in no uncertain terms.

The lines are gettin real blurry these days.

TrustingFollower
Sep 1st 2008, 04:43 PM
Being in the mission field, I stand at a sort of crossroads between fundamentalism and evangelicalism. While separation and application needs to be stressed for holiness, legalism is a weed that chokes the life out of any so-called fellowship.

I love my Merle Haggard, and Emmylou Harris and Moby Dick and Charles Dickens and e.e. cummings etc. They are lawful for me where there is no sin, but at what point do these things become a poor testimony or a poor lifestyle? Its obviously a case by case personal judgment-call, a personal decision most of the time. (not all the time).

Application is stressed in my world to the point where holiness is at the forefront at all times. But legalism is condemned in no uncertain terms.

The lines are gettin real blurry these days.
I agree that it is a judgment call each one of us make on a case by case basis. It brings to mind what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians. He subjected himself to the ways of the people he was with for the sake of winning them to the truth of the gospel. We also need to have the same mind set in a way. Now Paul was not advocating that he sinned with the sinners, as we should not either. But rather if someone is a law keeper, keep the law with them. As in today's world if someone listen to secular music, how can we spread the gospel to them if we condemn the music rather than listen with them and witness to them.

1 Corinthians 9

19 ¶For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.