PDA

View Full Version : Killed Mosquitos this Summer?

PeterJ
Sep 1st 2008, 03:46 PM
How many mosquitos have you killed this Summer? How much do you hate them biting you and making that horid buzzing noise in your ear?

How do they travel from the hot places in the world to are city traveling 10000 miles or so to reach us; just to they can be a pain and bite us.
Can we live without Mosquitos if they was all wiped out? Why did God invent them?
What is Worst there buzzing noise or there bite?
What do you use to kill them? Do you spray them or hit them with your magazine? or Slipper?

CoffeeCat
Sep 1st 2008, 04:14 PM
I don't remember how many I've killed. I've had more than a couple dozen bites, that's for sure. I don't bother with a newspaper or a slipper... the flat palm of my hand can smack then into mosquito oblivion quite well!

Sherrie
Sep 1st 2008, 04:24 PM
Too cool this year for an outburst of West Nile Virus and the dreaded Mosquitos. There have been Mosquitos, but nothing like there was last year. Their bite is much worse to me than there buzzing noise!

You want to know their purpose? Ok; how about a balance in ecosystem.

Can we live without them? Yes. There are plenty of other little buggy critters to take their place. Birds, bats, frogs, and other bugs, eat them. They do however eat other stuff, so it is not a necessity.

You can make sure water is not collective around your home. Examples such as dog or cat water bowls. give fresh water more frequent. Fresh water in bird baths more frequent. Empty containers after a rain. Damp dark area's are another source for breeding. Junk piled up is another place. I use whatever I have in my hand to kill them. Turn your porch light off at night when not using it; it attracts bugs, and they get in your house. Mow your yard and cut grass/weeds away from your home. Pull weeds away from your flower beds. A good groomed yard does help alot. It does not get rid of them, but it does help.

It is always after a good mow job, that they are out to bite. Their nesting and secure place has been moved and so they are out to bite. I stay in earllier that evening. I also burn citranella candles when I am outside of an evening too. Helps alittle. I go a bug zapper i have had for several years. Doesn't get them all, but again it helps.

PeterJ
Sep 2nd 2008, 02:17 PM
Why do they bite us? do they need that to live?

Redneck Charger
Sep 3rd 2008, 03:32 AM
They normally don't bother me.. But this year.. I think was one of the worse.. Yeah,, I've killed enough of the.. Nit sure on how many.. But enough..:rolleyes:

Ayala
Sep 3rd 2008, 04:06 AM
Why do they bite us? do they need that to live?

Only female mosquitoes feed on blood. No, they don't need it to survive. The nutrients from blood are mainly utilized for their egg-laying.

That being said, I'm surprised I haven't gotten West Nile yet...I get swarmed. :P My blood must taste good. :D

Redneck Charger
Sep 3rd 2008, 04:09 AM
In what area of the world are they the worse?:idea:

lbeaty1981
Sep 3rd 2008, 02:15 PM
We've had a ton of them here in Lubbock this year. We've had a fair amount of rain, so they've been out in full force. I actually killed one last night who had managed to bite me through my t-shirt. :eek:

The worst I ever encountered, though, were the ones up around Yellowstone. Those suckers were so big, you could actually feel them land on you. A little disturbing, to say the least....

PeterJ
Sep 3rd 2008, 04:03 PM
Only female mosquitoes feed on blood. No, they don't need it to survive. The nutrients from blood are mainly utilized for their egg-laying.

That being said, I'm surprised I haven't gotten West Nile yet...I get swarmed. :P My blood must taste good. :D

Is that why us guys get biten all the time? lol

Ayala
Sep 3rd 2008, 10:49 PM
Hmph...Most likely. :P

Laish
Sep 6th 2008, 08:15 AM
I put no don't have to many in my neck of the woods ( desert )
The city here is on top of those critters spraying an draining large standing pools of water an stuff like that .

daughter
Sep 6th 2008, 10:50 AM
I was bitten all over in a shanty town in South Africa, and wasn't worried, since I'd been told there weren't mosquitos... then I discovered that there are in the shanties, and particularly around the rank water in Zweletemba. If they could clean up the dirty water we wouldn't have to kill the little blighters.. My son wasn't bitten, I splathered him with insect repellant and made him take his tablets. But mine had been pinched along with my mobile phone just about the day we arrived.

I should think I'll be okay, paddy blood isn't that tasty surely?

Rocking horse
Sep 6th 2008, 10:56 AM
There are several things you can do to prevent being bitten by "mozzies" There are sprays and creams you can put on yourself and they won't come near you. There are outdoor foggers you can spray to keep them from you when you're entertaining or outdoors at night or day. There are "mozzie coils" you can have in your house, they "smolder" after being lit and the fumes keep them away. A good thing to take the sting and itch away is by applying a little aloe vera on the affected area. It works well.

You can put screens on your doors and windows to keep them out of your house. Here in Australia we have what is called....Ross River Virus...which can be very debilitating for several years, and this disease is carried by mosquitoes.

Mozzies are a big problem where I live, and in some very badly affected areas, the government sprays wetlands with chemicals from planes to try and irradicate the problem.

Rocky.

Lynbob
Sep 8th 2008, 06:43 AM
Not sure how many I have 'off'ed' this summer but I sure have fed plenty :rolleyes:

graceanneluv
Sep 8th 2008, 09:54 AM
Many, many mosquitoes hve been killed on my legs ,arms neck ect this summer. There is one bite on my finger right now. I put the whole armor on when I go outside to work in my garden.
I spray fogs in the area where I will be working,I bathe in insect repellant and add Skin so soft by avon as an added plus! I dress in light colored clothes that cover my extremeties,and gloves of course.
It helps but nothing works on a long term basis.

mcgyver
Sep 8th 2008, 02:51 PM
Well, I live in the middle of the Everglades of Florida...

But I don't know how to answer....We don't have mosquitoes...What we have are mutants that sound like a squadron of B-17s! :lol: :lol:

'Ought to adopt 'em as our "State Bird" :P

The problem I see is this: If you kill 1....250,000 relatives show up for the funeral! ;)

Lynbob
Sep 9th 2008, 03:15 AM
The problem I see is this: If you kill 1....250,000 relatives show up for the funeral! ;)

http://bibleforums.org/picture.php?pictureid=1537&albumid=202&dl=1216135492&thumb=1 (http://bibleforums.org/album.php?albumid=202&pictureid=1537)