PDA

View Full Version : Christian Union at university

lwfc
Sep 1st 2008, 10:50 PM
So I'm going off to uni in about 3 and a half weeks and I'm planning to join the Christian union when I get there.

I'm just a bit nervous about it because although I guess I'd say I'm a Christian, I haven't been for long and I've not been to church much or anything, and I'm worried I might not fit in there so much. I found the website for CU (http://www.astoncu.org.uk/), should I contact someone before I go just to explain that, and make it easier when I get there?

stillforgiven
Sep 2nd 2008, 12:02 AM
So I'm going off to uni in about 3 and a half weeks and I'm planning to join the Christian union when I get there.

I'm just a bit nervous about it because although I guess I'd say I'm a Christian, I haven't been for long and I've not been to church much or anything, and I'm worried I might not fit in there so much. I found the website for CU (http://www.astoncu.org.uk/), should I contact someone before I go just to explain that, and make it easier when I get there?

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the States, at least where I went, the Christian Unions had booths set up during orientation along with the frats and sororities. It wasn't hard to get hooked up with them if anyone wanted to.

One of them was the tool that helped lead me to the Lord during my second year of college. :)

CoffeeCat
Sep 2nd 2008, 12:07 AM
You could always email them. :) Most of them do have an email address. Just explain that you're interested in the group, maybe that you'd like a little more information, and that you'd like to meet with them. Someone will likely get back to you, and give you some feedback on the group. It's sometimes easier that way -- when you walk up to a group, you can already say "oh hey, you're the guy/girl I talked to through email" and make that connection first off.

Don't worry too much about fitting in or acting just like them. If you're Christian and you're seeking Christ, and you want to be with a group who's doing the same thing... then you're all there to encourage each other, grow, learn, and eventually you'll get to know one another.

I'll be praying for you. God bless.

jenn0889
Sep 3rd 2008, 03:28 AM
From my experience, and the Christian groups I met on Campus everyone is super friendly. (I am sure there are some exceptions but so far they are great) I was so nervous the first time, especially since none of my close friends are Christians, so I was pretty much all alone trying to fit in to what seemed like a close-knit group. But going to the orientations and all the beginning of the year events worked out well. I made new friends right away, got involved in Bible Studies, which definetly improved my walk with God over the year.

lwfc
Sep 8th 2008, 09:57 PM
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the States, at least where I went, the Christian Unions had booths set up during orientation along with the frats and sororities. It wasn't hard to get hooked up with them if anyone wanted to.

One of them was the tool that helped lead me to the Lord during my second year of college. :)
Yeah, I think there is a "Freshers' Fair", where you can join the clubs and sports teams and things like that. I'm sure the Christian Union will be there. I'm just nervous about going up and joining as I think most people will have been Christians for a lot longer than me and I'm worried about seeming a bit stupid, and wondered if people thought I could contact them beforehand, to make it a bit less daunting when I go there?

You could always email them. :) Most of them do have an email address. Just explain that you're interested in the group, maybe that you'd like a little more information, and that you'd like to meet with them. Someone will likely get back to you, and give you some feedback on the group. It's sometimes easier that way -- when you walk up to a group, you can already say "oh hey, you're the guy/girl I talked to through email" and make that connection first off.
Yeah..I think I will email them. There are some email addresses of some of the members of the CU on the website.

Thanks for the replies, it's put my mind at ease about it a bit :)

stillforgiven
Sep 8th 2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I think there is a "Freshers' Fair", where you can join the clubs and sports teams and things like that. I'm sure the Christian Union will be there. I'm just nervous about going up and joining as I think most people will have been Christians for a lot longer than me and I'm worried about seeming a bit stupid, and wondered if people thought I could contact them beforehand, to make it a bit less daunting when I go there?

Yeah..I think I will email them. There are some email addresses of some of the members of the CU on the website.

Thanks for the replies, it's put my mind at ease about it a bit :)

I understand your worries, but I wasn't even a Christian at all when I started going. In fact, I was extremely not a Christian when some of them were willing to be a friend. As for contacting them in advance, I say, "Why not?" There's nothing wrong with that.

Let us know how it goes.

MyRock
Sep 10th 2008, 08:10 AM
Don't worry about possibly looking silly in front of them. We are all in different steps on our christian walk. Christians will love to see another person who has surrendered their life to Jesus. I think they will be very encouraged, and encouraging to you as you join their fold.

I never went to University so I didn't do this myself, but if they truely love Jesus then they shouldn't be judgemental to you.

To be honest I think the enemy is planting the thought in your head so you will feel like not joining. This could then start the slippery slope away from God. From what I know uni life is tough enough as it is for a christian. Especially those relatively new to it. Be among fellow brothers and sisters. That's the best place to be.

Give them an email and you'll see you have nothing to worry about.

D.

lwfc
Sep 11th 2008, 11:47 AM
Well, I sent an email, but it got sent back to me for some reason :S

MyRock
Sep 11th 2008, 02:07 PM
Perhaps there was a problem with the email.

Just head over to them at the fair. They won't quiz you on your christian knowledge before they allow you to join. :)

I'm sure they'll be delighted you're taking an interest in them.

lwfc
Sep 11th 2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah, it said something about inbox full.

The only problem is that I assume they'll do stuff in fresher's week, but I've just found out the fresher's fair isn't until the very end of the week so I don't know where I go to join it before then...

MyRock
Sep 18th 2008, 08:36 AM
Have you tried contacting the reception of the University before you go?
They may be able to tell you where to go. The student union may be able to give you info on other unions in the school.

I've just realised I've got only a couple of months left before I am no longer able to post in here. I'm 26 on 10th November! (Just call me Ol' Fogey!):D

lwfc
Sep 21st 2008, 11:06 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to find someone there!

I found on their Facebook group, that they will be doing a "church search" at 10am on sunday (I move in this saturday), meeting at the bottom of one of the towers on campus. I'll just have to work out which one is said tower..:lol:

I suppose I'll just turn up then and ask about how I join. A bit nervous though! About university in general as well though...I have a timetable for my induction week, and next tuesday morning I apparantly have to be in 10 places at the same time! Whaaaa?!

Revinius
Sep 22nd 2008, 01:47 PM
10am... that's not culturally relevant for uni students! :(

lwfc
Sep 22nd 2008, 03:19 PM
haha I know! I'll have to drag myself out of bed..

lwfc
Sep 24th 2008, 09:23 PM
They've changed it to 9.30am now :o

Revinius
Sep 24th 2008, 11:06 PM
you should actually talk to them about that. I have got myself ostracised from many a place for speaking candidly about such fruitless tradition.

lwfc
Sep 24th 2008, 11:54 PM
Sorry, I don't understand :S

Revinius
Sep 25th 2008, 12:51 PM
talk to them about their timings and how it is a disinsentive for people who might otherwise come along (at a more reasonable hour).

lwfc
Sep 25th 2008, 01:29 PM
To most people in the world 9.30 is quite a reasonable hour though isn't it?

I suppose it's got to be that time because it depends on when churches hold their services, and getting there as well..

Revinius
Sep 26th 2008, 01:11 AM
To most people in the world 9.30 is quite a reasonable hour though isn't it?

I suppose it's got to be that time because it depends on when churches hold their services, and getting there as well..

I go to church at 6pm with bed hair :P

For uni students i think reasonability means afternoon. ;)

lwfc
Sep 26th 2008, 03:02 PM
Haha. Well it says there might be one in the evening as well, but I might not be able to get my internet set up in time to look on their group and check. The things on other days are at sensible times though, it's ok!

I think I have packed far too much..my room is like a bombsite..

MyRock
Oct 7th 2008, 07:24 AM
Hey Laura, I was just wondering how Uni is going?

Counting down the days till my 26th birthday, then I will no longer be able to post in here. Goodness me I'm getting old!

lwfc
Oct 7th 2008, 02:06 PM
Not too bad, feeling very homesick though :cry:

Revinius
Oct 7th 2008, 03:07 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: