PDA

View Full Version : Lord's Prayer: lead me not into temptation?

seamus414
Sep 2nd 2008, 12:59 PM
In the Lord's Prayer we pray to God asking him to "lead me not into temptation" - what does this mean? Why would God lead us into temptation?

Redeemed by Grace
Sep 2nd 2008, 01:18 PM
It's better understood as "help me to resist temptation."

A good check verse is Jude 24

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

revrobor
Sep 2nd 2008, 10:59 PM
I'd suggest you get a modern translation of the Bible which will make it a lot easier for you to understand. The Contemporary English Version (CEV) renders that verse "Keep us from being tempted and protect us from evil".

ServantofTruth
Sep 3rd 2008, 12:07 AM
Yes in Matthew 6:13 - we have as already said - Keep us from being tempted and protect us from evil.

and in Luke 11: 4 - And keep us from being tempted. (both CEV as above)

Matthew Henry - has - And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

His commentary divides the verse. It connects obviously with verse 12 where we ask for forgiveness of sins - now we ask for his protection from temptation - but not from God tempting us - rather Satan.

The second half of the verse, i think could read ,'but deliver us from the evil one (satan obviously). apo tou ponerou. We ask God to protect us from both satan himself and his attacks or sin which satan tempts us with.

A plain English bible may be a useful tool. But there are many useful tools that have to be carefully selected to suit the individual at their present level and the area they wish to move forward into. Perhaps you could start a topic on the boards or i have recently found the moderators extremely helpful in this area myself. (putting a little extra work your way if you're reading this. :))

A full commentary like Matthew Henry's 6 volume complete one is surprisingly cheap - recommended to me by multiple people on this site. But remember it's only one man's opinion.

The most important thing here, is you spotted something you wanted to learn about and asked. Excellent question and good topic. SofTy.

Invincibleep
Sep 3rd 2008, 03:51 AM
HIi everyone, great question and great answers. I would like to add this with regard to 'lead us not into temptation.' You know the saying, 'but for the Grace of God there go I?" Well, that kind of epitomizes what is being said with regard to 'leading us not into temptation.'

We are being taught to pray to God to keep us from the evils and snares that could so easily beset us. Often times in life we see people get entangled in drugs, violence, crime, etc. We pray God that these evils would not befall us. We are being taught to recognize that 'but for God's grace' we could have fallen into those same evils.

Not only such blatant wrongs as those mentioned above but such things as false doctrine, hypocrisy,, being judgmental, self-righteous and other folly that will close off a real relationship with God. We pray God as He leads us on our pilrimage to hold us back from such temptations that could come upon us. As we pray this, humility will make it's home in us as we realize 'it is not of works that any man/woman should boast rather with regard to all aspects of life, we are saved and kept by God's grace' alone.

Octillion
Dec 14th 2008, 01:00 PM
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Prayers/The_Lord_s_Prayer_5/the_lord_s_prayer_5.html

This answered the question for me, from a Messianic Jewess.