PDA

View Full Version : No more than you can bear

Libre
Sep 2nd 2008, 05:01 PM
I have an 80 year old friend who is in pain daily. She has a bad back and a bad knee. She takes morphine, among of things. She also takes meds for bipolar, for diabetes, and beginning Altzheimer's. I know, it's a wonder she can function at all.

Anyway, she is a believer. She was saved over 40 years ago at a Billy Graham crusade. She loves Jesus, and trusts Him to help her through it all. But sometimes she's in tears, because she says she knows God promised not to give us more than we can bear. And she can hardly bear it anymore. I live in a senior housing apartment, and I've heard some say they just want to die because they can't stand the pain they have.

I've had a hard time giving her comfort, because the pain is so constant for her. I've always thought of the "no more than we can bear" promise to mean mainly temptations. What do any of you think about this?

Pat

student of the Lamb
Sep 2nd 2008, 06:15 PM
I have an 80 year old friend who is in pain daily. She has a bad back and a bad knee. She takes morphine, among of things. She also takes meds for bipolar, for diabetes, and beginning Altzheimer's. I know, it's a wonder she can function at all.

Anyway, she is a believer. She was saved over 40 years ago at a Billy Graham crusade. She loves Jesus, and trusts Him to help her through it all. But sometimes she's in tears, because she says she knows God promised not to give us more than we can bear. And she can hardly bear it anymore. I live in a senior housing apartment, and I've heard some say they just want to die because they can't stand the pain they have.

I've had a hard time giving her comfort, because the pain is so constant for her. I've always thought of the "no more than we can bear" promise to mean mainly temptations. What do any of you think about this?

Pat

Quite often what you are mentioning is misquoted from 1st Corinthians 10:13. Verse 13 says,"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand under it." Physical pain sometimes is more that we can bear but that is because we are living beings and none of us are made with perfect bodies and those bodies do wear out just like all the other animals of this world.

It should not be thought that by being a Christian that life would be easier. In fact, for many, being a Christian becomes a test of faith on a daily basis. Think about the girl in China that went to prison for reading the Bible. She had memorized many verses. Some one asked her why she had memorized so many. She said she was not allowed to have a Bible in prison. So, some people would smuggle her Bible verses. She would immediately memorize them and destroy the paper. People in Romanian villages split a Bible into the books of the Bible so that they can each be reading a part and then pass it on. Life as a Christian was not easy for 1st Century Christains. Why would it or should it be any different today. Many people continue to persecute Christians around the world including here in the United States.

Also if you think of what Satan put Job through, don't you think that since this world is Satan's dominion that he makes life miserable on many Christians of strong faith throughout this world each and every day? Please remember that Jesus once said, "I am not of this world." Neither is God. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit do not have dominion over this world. They only give you the tools to make your way to a better world. I am sure that friend through all of the emotional and physical suffering knows this.
In God's infinite wisdom he conceived and predestined this world to be a time of testing for each one of us. This is a practice world for us to get it all right. God puts us here. Satan tries to tear us down. Those that fail end up in an eternal hell while those who endure the pains and the trials of this earth with total faith in God will receive and eternity of rejoicing with God. Faith honors God and God honors faith.

jayne
Sep 2nd 2008, 06:45 PM
Student of the Lamb is correct.

The verses that you are referencing are dealing with escaping temptations so that we can live in the light and not in the darkness (as the book of 1 John is about).

Suffering is part of this terrible place that is not our home.

Should we pray for relief and seek doctors....yes.

I can find no place in the bible where there is a concept of God not allowing things to persecute us above our own strength to bear it.

In fact, I find the opposite. Jesus said, "I am the vine and you are the branch.....apart from me you are nothing."

There is nothing in us that can bear ANYTHING - period. If we had our own strength to bear life's burdens - and God wouldn't give us burdens that were too terribly hard - then where is the need for God?

We wouldn't need Him. Life would never get so hard that we couldn't handle it all ourselves. I don't see that in the bible.

dispen4ever
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:32 PM
Wow. Libre, I would be blessed beyond measure, and you as well, if I could just pop up a few scriptures that would answer the WHY of her (and others) situation. When I witness things like this and similar, my first reaction is to go to the person, lay on the hands, and ask God to deliver them from the pain or whatever is wrong. I usually hesitate, then walk away. WHY? Why don't I follow through? My only response to your plea is to say pray, comfort, care. In my prayers today I will ask God for more insight. Perhaps He will point me to an overlooked scripture, or provide a spiritual revelation that is in keeping with His Word. I'm praying.

livingwaters
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:43 PM
Praying for your friend, Libre!!! God can do anything and HE does answer prayers. If HE thinks it's time for your friend to go HOME, HE will take her....but, until that time, we all have to continue to run our race, and not faint. Keeping our eyes on JESUS, is the only way!!!Amen.:pray::hug::)

It does us no good to questiond the LORD. The Word tells us that we cannot know all of HIS mysteries, else we would be too overwhelmed. So, some things we don't understand will have to be addressed by the LORD.Alleluia!!!! Oh, what a wonderful day that will be!!!!:pp

Libre
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:20 PM
I've been reading your answers. All good. I have prayed for her, especially when I first knew her. And the pastor has come and prayed for her. I will discuss those verses about bearing temptation, because I do think they don't apply to this. Unfortunately, many teach it that way and it is misleading.

Pat

Elijah's Mantle
Apr 5th 2009, 11:30 PM
:pray: this was insightful and helpful to read

THOM
Apr 6th 2009, 03:19 AM

Pat

Hi Pat, In the words of Job, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. (Job 13:15)"

And then in the words of Paul, "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Romans 8:18)"

You may want to whisper these in her ear, every chance you get as THE SPIRIT of GOD leads you. And you can even read Romans 8 to her. . .as well as to yourself (out loud).

But here's my favorite (Note the underlined enlarged words and say them out loud):

THE LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.

HE makes me to lie down in green pastures;
HE leads me beside the still waters.

HE restores my soul;

HE leads me in the paths of righteousness For HIS NAME's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;

For YOU are with me;
YOUR rod and YOUR staff,
they comfort me.

YOU prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
YOU anoint my head with oil;

My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;

And I will dwell in the house of THE LORD Forever.
(Psalm 23)

David understood how PERSONAL GOD wants to be to each one of HIS Sheep (Children). . .do you???

Blessings upon Blessings, to you and your friend (our Sister), in JESUS' NAME...