PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 bible translations - by sales.

ServantofTruth
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:17 PM
Without cheating (with a computer search - i know i can trust Christians), do you think that you'd know the top 10 selling bible translations? In history? This year worldwide? In your country?

This is a bit of fun and came to mind when i answered on the latest Which bible? topic. I wouldn't even like to guess myself, i know i'll be so wrong. SofTy.

mcgyver
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:26 PM
Wow...that's a good question! :)

As far as English versions...

I guess the "best seller" in history would be the KJV since most other translations in English didn't come about until the 20th century....

As far as the others...You've got me there! :lol:

Bethany67
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:26 PM
I'd guess the NIV at the top of the list.

apothanein kerdos
Sep 3rd 2008, 05:50 PM
It'd probably go:

KJV
ASB/NASB
NIV
NKJV
NLT
The Message
TNIV
ESV
NCV
HCSB

That'd be the guess....in all reality, only the KJV, NASB, ESV, and NIV are excellent translations. The others leave much to be desired. Personally, I find the NASB and ESV to be the best.

AngelAuthor
Sep 3rd 2008, 08:37 PM
All I could guess is that KJV would be at the top and that NKJV and NIV would be in the top 4.

ServantofTruth
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:27 PM
It'd probably go:

KJV
ASB/NASB
NIV
NKJV
NLT
The Message
TNIV
ESV
NCV
HCSB

That'd be the guess....in all reality, only the KJV, NASB, ESV, and NIV are excellent translations. The others leave much to be desired. Personally, I find the NASB and ESV to be the best.

Could you tell us what the title of these abbeviations are. Obviously i recognise a few, but not all. Thank you, SofTy.

apothanein kerdos
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:33 PM
Could you tell us what the title of these abbeviations are. Obviously i recognise a few, but not all. Thank you, SofTy.

Not a problem:

KJV - King James Version

ASB/NASB - American Standard Bible/New American Standard Bible

NIV - New International Version

NKJV - New King James Version

NLT - New Living Translation

The Message - well....The Message :)

TNIV - Today's New International Version

ESV - English Standard Version

NCV - New Century Version

HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible

Sherrie
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:46 PM
I was talking to the lady at the bible store last week and she said The KJV was only #3 in sales around the world. But in the USA it was #4, and the NKJV was #3. The NIV was #1 in the USA and Around the world. I cannot remember what the others were. She had a list of it in her publisher's news letter. Ironic you asked.

tango
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:48 PM
Interesting question... I don't know that I'd care to guess the top 10 but I reckon the original King James would be at or near the top.

After the KJV I'd reckon we'd see the NIV, GNB, KNJV, NLT and The Message.

(this is based on best-selling in history. If we made it this year then drop the KJV and shift the NIV, NLT and The message nearer the top)

I wonder where something like the Hebrew/Greek interlinear would come out...

ServantofTruth
Sep 4th 2008, 07:46 AM
Interesting question... I don't know that I'd care to guess the top 10 but I reckon the original King James would be at or near the top.

After the KJV I'd reckon we'd see the NIV, GNB, KNJV, NLT and The Message.

(this is based on best-selling in history. If we made it this year then drop the KJV and shift the NIV, NLT and The message nearer the top)

I wonder where something like the Hebrew/Greek interlinear would come out...

It's good just having you here, Tango. SofTy.

ServantofTruth
Sep 4th 2008, 07:50 AM
I was talking to the lady at the bible store last week and she said The KJV was only #3 in sales around the world. But in the USA it was #4, and the NKJV was #3. The NIV was #1 in the USA and Around the world. I cannot remember what the others were. She had a list of it in her publisher's news letter. Ironic you asked.

Did this lady know why certain versions were more popular? I wonder if it's individuals/ word of mouth, or churches buying bulk. That's why i thought KJV, because many different churches i've been to and discussed with the ministers/ pastors all respect the KJV.

Is it that both catholics and protestants respect the kjv?

Peace, SofTy.

ServantofTruth
Sep 4th 2008, 08:03 AM
Not a problem:

KJV - King James Version

ASB/NASB - American Standard Bible/New American Standard Bible

NIV - New International Version

NKJV - New King James Version

NLT - New Living Translation

The Message - well....The Message :)

TNIV - Today's New International Version

ESV - English Standard Version

NCV - New Century Version

HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible

You always sound quite knowledgeable. Do you know how these bible are translated? What i mean is are they almost 'original' translations or translations of other translations.

I admit i'm not good at history, but have an interest in learning. Didn't i read that many are from the Latin and there were some errors, that modern translators have been able to iron out, by using older manuscripts?

I know this is off topic, anyone can private message or use my profile if they prefer. SofTy.

9Marksfan
Sep 4th 2008, 10:45 AM
It'd probably go:

KJV
ASB/NASB
NIV
NKJV
NLT
The Message
TNIV
ESV
NCV
HCSB

Quite surprised you like the KJV and NIV but not the NKJV - or did you just forget to include it? I agree the other four are all great but would definitely put the NKJV way above the NIV, which I've found to be increasingly disappointing as I've got into both the NKJV and the ESV. If it was excluded deliberately, I'd be interested to know why......

apothanein kerdos
Sep 4th 2008, 03:34 PM
You always sound quite knowledgeable. Do you know how these bible are translated? What i mean is are they almost 'original' translations or translations of other translations.

I admit i'm not good at history, but have an interest in learning. Didn't i read that many are from the Latin and there were some errors, that modern translators have been able to iron out, by using older manuscripts?

Well all of them rely on previous translations. I think almost all have to go back to the Latin Vulgate at some point, at least for a reference on difficult to translate passages. Without going into too much detail, The Message and to a certain extent the NIV are paraphrases and not translations. This means they look at reliable translations and paraphrase what has been said. The Message is more obvious in this than the NIV. The TNIV is also in this area.

The KJV, NASB, ESV and some others rely on the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts for their translations (to an extent). If you'd like I could go into detail on each one.

Quite surprised you like the KJV and NIV but not the NKJV - or did you just forget to include it? I agree the other four are all great but would definitely put the NKJV way above the NIV, which I've found to be increasingly disappointing as I've got into both the NKJV and the ESV. If it was excluded deliberately, I'd be interested to know why......

It was unintentional. The NKJV is an excellent translation as well.

The only reason I'd say the NIV is a good read is because some parts of it are actually translated and not paraphrased. This lends to an easier understanding in certain passages.

9Marksfan
Sep 4th 2008, 05:41 PM
It was unintentional. The NKJV is an excellent translation as well.

The only reason I'd say the NIV is a good read is because some parts of it are actually translated and not paraphrased. This lends to an easier understanding in certain passages.

Agree wholeheartedly - SOME of the NIV is really excellent - but on the whole, the others you have mentioned are far better overall.

TrustingFollower
Sep 4th 2008, 05:57 PM
Since this thread is already derailed I figure I would include the versions I prefer.

NASB/NASU I prefer these over the others and use this version the most.
KJV I find harder to use, but do because the church I am a part of uses it.
HCSB I like this one for teens, I think it is a better translation than the NIV but still understandable compared to KJV
NKJV I like this one too, but don't find myself using it much. If I didn't have the NASB then I think I would use this translation.
NIV I can't knock it because if it were not for this translation I would not have started reading the word and would not have come to repentance.

This certainly is an intresting question and a good topic. Thanks SofTy

Ta-An
Sep 4th 2008, 06:11 PM
I would say the Torah is the best seller,,,that is if your survey includes that one.:hmm:

The NIV reads easy, ,, so I suppose it will sell well
The KJV merely because it has been around for a long time.....

Musicluv2
Sep 4th 2008, 11:33 PM
i would say NIV would be the best selling cuz I see that everywhere. I personally like NASB more though.

ServantofTruth
Sep 5th 2008, 04:48 PM
Right back on topic and i'm lifting the no internet searches restriction. Hands on key pads....wait for it.

1. Best selling bible EVER. (worldwide)
2. Best selling bible in YOUR country.
3. Best selling bible in last recorded year.

Anyother best selling bible lists you can dream of!

Ready...steady....Go ! Peace, SofTy. :pp

Ta-An
Sep 5th 2008, 04:56 PM
Right back on topic and i'm lifting the no internet searches restriction. Hands on key pads....wait for it.

1. Best selling bible EVER. (worldwide)
2. Best selling bible in YOUR country.
3. Best selling bible in last recorded year.

Anyother best selling bible lists you can dream of!

Ready...steady....Go ! Peace, SofTy. :ppProbally NIV on all 3

ServantofTruth
Sep 5th 2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks ACCM - i reckon there must be a good movie on tonight. :rofl:

Can you explain, please, about how many torahs have been sold and where/ why? Thank you, SofTy.

Ta-An
Sep 6th 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks ACCM - i reckon there must be a good movie on tonight. :rofl:

Can you explain, please, about how many torahs have been sold and where/ why? Thank you, SofTy.
I dunno??? :hmm:
Uhmmmmm, I could have / should have said ...actually wanted to say the first 5 books of thew OT.... which is generally referred to as :Torah... as that was the first form of the Bible.... but then I was told not all Jews have that in their homes :o

ServantofTruth
Sep 7th 2008, 09:45 PM
Yes i'm aware of what the Torah is !!!!!!!! :lol:

I though you meant sales of just those 5/1 book to Jews and Christians would be greater than bible sales. Or just that every bible has them - so when you add individual Torah's as well they win.

The correct answer could be the Good News bible. To the number 1 best selling bible. SofTy.

IPet2_9
Sep 9th 2008, 06:28 PM
Without cheating (with a computer search - i know i can trust Christians), do you think that you'd know the top 10 selling bible translations? In history? This year worldwide? In your country?

No. After you account for inflation, currency rates, and how you record-keep, the statistics would probably vary so widely that it depends on who exactly is calculating the figures.

seek_joy
Sep 9th 2008, 06:33 PM
according to the Christian Booksellers Association (http://www.cbaonline.org/):

Ranking Translation
1 New International Version
2 New King James Version
3 King James Version
4 New Living Translation
5 English Standard Version
6 Reina Valera 1960 (Spanish)
7 Holman Christian Standard Bible
8 New American Standard Bible update
9 The Message
10 New International Readers Version

yep, I cheated and googled. :D Interesting topic.