PDA

View Full Version : Baptists?

Lorren
Sep 3rd 2008, 08:46 PM
I like this board and I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I have a question or perhaps a clarification...

I am a Baptist. Our church teaches that we are not protestant because our heritage comes from groups like the Waldensees and the anabaptists, not from breaking away from the Catholic church.

There are many different flavors of Baptist, obviously, because there are some Baptist denominations like Southern Baptist, and they have some differences. I think that some Baptists claim to be protestant, but the independent Baptist churches that I have belonged to are not.

Are we welcome on this board, even though we are not protestant? That question has been bugging me a little since I joined... I feel like I might be an imposter or something. We have a lot of similar beliefs, like salvation through grace not by works. The worship styles might be a little different, but then again, between different protestant denominations that is the case as well. Of course we do baptism by immersion, but don't some Protestant (although not all) churches do that as well?

I attended a Protestant church for 18 years, so I know that there are some differences, but none that are a salvation issue or anything like that. So I hope that it's okay to post here? Thanks.

historyb
Sep 3rd 2008, 08:50 PM
http://img125.echo.cx/img125/8038/01welcome7jb.gif

All denomanations are Protestant because at one point or another they break from the one Church, The Catholic Church. I'm Catholic, I'm here so I'm sure you welcomed here too. :)

Buck shot
Sep 3rd 2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, Lorren, you are welcome here! :)

Myself and a few other mods are also Baptist as are many of the members!

FYI-
You are right. The Baptist Church is not protestant by name but we share the same belief with the protestant churches that God's word is the foundation for our beliefs.

The Baptist Church was never part of the Catholic Church but was given the Baptist name by them.

Lorren
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:02 PM
Cool. Thanks! I thought it was okay, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Sherrie
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:07 PM
I am "General Baptist" (the General Association of General Baptists); Lorren. Not so that means anything anymore than anyone else. But thought you might like to know there are more than Southern Baptist on this board.

Buck shot
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm independant from any of the Baptist denominations. So we are just Baptist i guess.

Would be nice if we could just call it the "Church at Diboll", like the Church at Galatia. But that would be too easy i guess...:lol:

Sherrie
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I would be going to Church of Southeast MO. Only one thing, we are in the bible belt here in Mo, so we are over run with Churchs. No telling. Better leave it like it is.

longtooth
Sep 3rd 2008, 09:27 PM
I am Baptist too. Independant of any denominational higharchey. Our Church started w/o being a mission of a Mother Church somewhere. We are in no association just a God sustaining Church.

Huuumm Church of Diboll. Business meeting is next Wed. :D
LT

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 4th 2008, 12:13 AM
I know I just jumped ship to the Baptist camp a little over a month ago. I recently left the Church of Christ over a long-standing disagreement with their baptismal regenerationist view and am now a Baptist, as I found my theology going more in the direction of Baptists, as I've also gone from believing in conditional security to eternal security (although there are "Free Will Baptists," who can be considered "mavericks" to most Baptists as they don't believe in eternal security).

flybaby
Sep 4th 2008, 01:37 AM
I'm independent baptist and have been on this board for a long time....so yes, you are very welcome here and we're glad to have you!

Lorren
Sep 4th 2008, 03:33 AM
We're independent Baptists :-).

Ninna
Sep 4th 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm southern Baptist and have been here a long time...yes, we are not Protestant because we had nothing to protest - were never a part of the RCC.

We are Christian first...denomination second. You are most definitely welcome here!:)

Literalist-Luke
Sep 4th 2008, 03:55 PM
All denomanations are Protestant because at one point or another they break from the one Church, The Catholic Church."One Church"? You can just check that attitude at the door, please.

David Taylor
Sep 4th 2008, 04:03 PM
I like this board and I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I have a question or perhaps a clarification...

I am a Baptist. Our church teaches that we are not protestant because our heritage comes from groups like the Waldensees and the anabaptists, not from breaking away from the Catholic church.

There are many different flavors of Baptist, obviously, because there are some Baptist denominations like Southern Baptist, and they have some differences. I think that some Baptists claim to be protestant, but the independent Baptist churches that I have belonged to are not.

Are we welcome on this board, even though we are not protestant? That question has been bugging me a little since I joined... I feel like I might be an imposter or something. We have a lot of similar beliefs, like salvation through grace not by works. The worship styles might be a little different, but then again, between different protestant denominations that is the case as well. Of course we do baptism by immersion, but don't some Protestant (although not all) churches do that as well?

I attended a Protestant church for 18 years, so I know that there are some differences, but none that are a salvation issue or anything like that. So I hope that it's okay to post here? Thanks.

I grew up going to an SBC city church with my mom, and with a MB country church with my grandparents; so I have good familiarity with two flavors of Baptist congregations.

While as others have said, Baptists were not apart of the 'Protestant Reformation' that followed the breakaway from Martin Luther; Baptists have always, however, been in a state of 'Protest' with many of the teachings, doctrines, and traditions of the RCC church.

One of our Mod-Team members, http://bibleforums.org/customavatars/avatar14768_3.gif (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=14768) The Parson (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=14768) (Tim) has a really good historical thread out there on the history of the Baptists (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=73941&highlight=hard+headed+baptists), and how we've paralleled the RCC throughout the centuries going back to Apostolic times (whether wearing the Baptist name or not).

You might find that interesting.

historyb
Sep 4th 2008, 07:28 PM
"One Church"? You can just check that attitude at the door, please.

No attitude, truth is hard to take

Literalist-Luke
Sep 4th 2008, 09:19 PM
No attitude, truth is hard to takeWhatever. (whistling a happy tune all the way to heaven as a member of the world-wide invisible Church that has no headquarters.....)

Ninna
Sep 4th 2008, 11:33 PM
The question has been answered so this thread is now closed.