PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A Scripture

Shaniesa
Sep 5th 2008, 06:43 AM
Next Youth Sunday I Will Be Theme Speaking For My Church. My Topic is a Chosen Generation. I will be coming from Psalms 107:20. This is my first time speaking at chruch and althoug I'm a bit nervus i've been waiting on this opprotunity. Anyways I was just wondering if I could some help on what to talk about I really don't understand what I could talka bout that has to do with the scritur comparing with the them.

Psalms 107:20
He sent His word healed them, and delivered them from their destruction.
could some one please email me asap withe HELP I'll be speaking Sunday the 14 @ my church.

Firstfruits
Sep 5th 2008, 10:33 AM
Next Youth Sunday I Will Be Theme Speaking For My Church. My Topic is a Chosen Generation. I will be coming from Psalms 107:20. This is my first time speaking at chruch and althoug I'm a bit nervus i've been waiting on this opprotunity. Anyways I was just wondering if I could some help on what to talk about I really don't understand what I could talka bout that has to do with the scritur comparing with the them.

could some one please email me asap withe HELP I'll be speaking Sunday the 14 @ my church.

Here are a couple to start you off.

1 Pet 2:9 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=60&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Is 41:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=23&CHAP=41&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

Hope they are helpful to you?

Firstfruits

BroRog
Sep 5th 2008, 02:34 PM
I would never teach on a single verse. Out of context, the verse can mean anything or nothing at all. Try to really understand the entire Psalm. Then speak on that.

Firstfruits
Sep 5th 2008, 06:38 PM
I would never teach on a single verse. Out of context, the verse can mean anything or nothing at all. Try to really understand the entire Psalm. Then speak on that.

Hi BroRog,

If you did not have anything else, would you not be able to teach about being a chosen generation from the following, not that I would any way which is why I said to start with?

1 Pet 2:9 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=60&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Is 41:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=23&CHAP=41&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

Firstfruits

BroRog
Sep 5th 2008, 06:44 PM
Hi BroRog,

If you did not have anything else, would you not be able to teach about being a chosen generation from the following, not that I would any way which is why I said to start with?

1 Pet 2:9 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=60&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Is 41:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=23&CHAP=41&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

Firstfruits

From those two verses, I could probably remind folks, who already know what I'm going to say, what these verses say. But I certainly couldn't teach someone who didn't already know the subject matter.

Firstfruits
Sep 5th 2008, 06:50 PM
From those two verses, I could probably remind folks, who already know what I'm going to say, what these verses say. But I certainly couldn't teach someone who didn't already know the subject matter.

As I said they were given as a begining or start to building of scriptures concerning the topic.

Firstfruits

BroRog
Sep 5th 2008, 07:14 PM
As I said they were given as a begining or start to building of scriptures concerning the topic.

Firstfruits

Cool.

Anyway, as a general rule, it's a good idea to teach whatever passage you are studying at the moment. That's what I would do if I was called upon to teach.

RoadWarrior
Sep 5th 2008, 07:37 PM

Hi Shaniesa, and congratulations on being chosen to speak. If you look at the verse in context, you will realize that the verse is given to God's chosen people, the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Israel).

If I were speaking on it I would use a few more of the verses like this:

Ps 107:19-22
19 "Lord, help!" they cried in their trouble,
and he saved them from their distress.
20 He sent out his word and healed them,
snatching them from the door of death.
21 Let them praise the Lord for his great love
and for the wonderful things he has done for them.
22 Let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving
and sing joyfully about his glorious acts.

Holy Bible, New Living Translation , copyright 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.

And I would talk about how that even though God had chosen these people as His own, they still needed to call on Him when they were in trouble. When they did call, He responded to them. And after that they had been rescued, they needed to be grateful, to praise Him and glorify His name.

Firstfruits
Sep 5th 2008, 07:57 PM
Cool.

Anyway, as a general rule, it's a good idea to teach whatever passage you are studying at the moment. That's what I would do if I was called upon to teach.

The topic is; "My Topic is a Chosen Generation."

hence the scriptures given.

Firstfruits

th1bill
Sep 5th 2008, 08:22 PM
... Pounding our chests and proclaiming our individual correctness will never assist this young lady. Shaniesa, if you do anything, listen to Road Warior, her advise is dead on center.

Firstfruits
Sep 5th 2008, 08:34 PM
... Pounding our chests and proclaiming our individual correctness will never assist this young lady. Shaniesa, if you do anything, listen to Road Warior, her advise is dead on center.

I agree, my aim was to help supply needed scripture I had no idea it would go any further.

God bless

Firstfruits

dispen4ever
Sep 5th 2008, 10:39 PM
Thank you, Road Warrior!!!!!!

One might want to build on this to NT passages that are directed to non-Jews. The best place for those is in Paul's Letters. What does Paul tell us about spiritual wholeness and our deliverance from sin.

RoadWarrior
Sep 5th 2008, 10:49 PM
Thank you, Road Warrior!!!!!!

One might want to build on this to NT passages that are directed to non-Jews. The best place for those is in Paul's Letters. What does Paul tell us about spiritual wholeness and our deliverance from sin.

I expect Shaniesa has a very limited amount of time allotted on the 14th for speaking to this subject. Maybe when they log on again, we'll get more detail.

Each of us, given this topic and these verses, would likely come up with a very different sermon/teaching. Sometimes (often?) what we come up with is a way of furthering our own pre-established beliefs or understandings.

By speaking in this thread about how we would handle the subject and opportunity, Shaniesa can see that there are many different ways to approach such a subject. Hopefully s/he will find that by asking the Holy Spirit to help, the sermon/teaching that s/he gives will be unique to their own walk with God.

Of course, this thread does make an interesting opportunity to explore further what is meant by the Chosen People.

Shaniesa
Sep 6th 2008, 07:23 PM
I would like to thank each and every one of you guys for the help you gave. I didn't mean to cause any trouble at all. I only have 3-5 Minutes to speak to answer the question. Agian i thank each and everyone of you you for your help. May God Countine you to bless you and your families.

-Shaniesa

RoadWarrior
Sep 6th 2008, 07:27 PM
I would like to thank each and every one of you guys for the help you gave. I didn't mean to cause any trouble at all. I only have 3-5 Minutes to speak to answer the question. Agian i thank each and everyone of you you for your help. May God Countine you to bless you and your families.

-Shaniesa

No trouble, Shaniesa. People in this forum just love to argue, for the sake of arguing sometimes. I hope your presentation goes well. Please do check back in with us afterwards and let us know how it went. I am praying for you to do well, to speak truth, and to enjoy the experience. :pray:

Shaniesa
Sep 6th 2008, 07:55 PM
No trouble, Shaniesa. People in this forum just love to argue, for the sake of arguing sometimes. I hope your presentation goes well. Please do check back in with us afterwards and let us know how it went. I am praying for you to do well, to speak truth, and to enjoy the experience. :pray:

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. It really does help. Thanks for the prayer and I will be sure to let you guys know how it went.

LPH, Shaniesa
God Bless

Scruffy Kid
Sep 6th 2008, 08:02 PM
Psalm 107

[1] O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures for ever!
[2] Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble
[3] and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.

[4] Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in;
[5] hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them.
[6] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[7] he led them by a straight way, till they reached a city to dwell in.

[8] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[9] For he satisfies him who is thirsty, and the hungry he fills with good things.

[10] Some sat in darkness and in gloom, prisoners in affliction and in irons,
[11] for they had rebelled against the words of God, and spurned the counsel of the Most High.
[12] Their hearts were bowed down with hard labor; they fell down, with none to help.
[13] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[14] he brought them out of darkness and gloom, and broke their bonds asunder.

[15] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[16] For he shatters the doors of bronze, and cuts in two the bars of iron.

[17] Some were sick through their sinful ways, and because of their iniquities suffered affliction;
[18] they loathed any kind of food, and they drew near to the gates of death.
[19] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[20] he sent forth his word, and healed them, and delivered them from destruction.

[21] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[22] And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!

[23] Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters;
[24] they saw the deeds of the LORD, his wondrous works in the deep.
[25] For he commanded, and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea.
[26] They mounted up to heaven, they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
[27] they reeled and staggered like drunken men, and were at their wits' end.
[28] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[29] he made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.
[30] Then they were glad because they had quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven.

[31] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[32] Let them extol him in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.

[33] He turns rivers into a desert, springs of water into thirsty ground,
[34] a fruitful land into a salty waste, because of the wickedness of its inhabitants.
[35] He turns a desert into pools of water, a parched land into springs of water.
[36] And there he lets the hungry dwell, and they establish a city to live in;
[37] they sow fields, and plant vineyards, and get a fruitful yield.
[38] By his blessing they multiply greatly; and he does not let their cattle decrease.
[39] When they are diminished and brought low through oppression, trouble, and sorrow,
[40] he pours contempt upon princes and makes them wander in trackless wastes;
[41] but he raises up the needy out of affliction, and makes their families like flocks.

[42] The upright see it and are glad; and all wickedness stops its mouth.
[43] Whoever is wise, let him give heed to these things; let people consider the steadfast love of the LORD.

Scruffy Kid
Sep 6th 2008, 08:11 PM
Blessings, Shaniesa!

Next Youth Sunday I Will Be Theme Speaking For My Church. My Topic is a Chosen Generation. I will be coming from Psalms 107:20. I really don't understand what I could talk about that has to do with the scripture comparing with the theme.

... HELP! I'll be speaking Sunday the 14 @ my church.
I only have 3-5 Minutes to speak. You've been given an important assignment!
But, naturally, you're a bit frightened! Don't worry!

The Psalm you have been given is all about God helping people who are confused and frightened, and in difficult situations!! That is a theme that is of great importance to young people today, and especially for those who have been chosen to do something for God! So the Psalm is speaking directly to your situation!!

IMO, the most important thing to do is to meditate on the Psalm quietly over the next few days. Ask God to give you wisdom, and a good message from Him. Then read over the psalm, quietly and prayerfully every morning and evening, and try to get the thought of this wonderful poem about God's kindness in rescuing us.

You have a whole week: just take your time, and let God give you a message!!

Scruffy Kid
Sep 6th 2008, 08:38 PM
It may help to see how this Psalm is constructed. It's constructed like a song -- the Psalms are songs!! -- with 5 verse, and a refrain at the beginning and after every verse of the song.

(It's one of my favorite psalms: so encouraging!!)

Psalm 107

Introduction (Introductory Refrain)

[1] O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures for ever!
[2] Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble
[3] and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.

Verse 1

[4] Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in;
[5] hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them.
[6] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[7] he led them by a straight way, till they reached a city to dwell in.

Refrain 1

[8] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[9] For he satisfies him who is thirsty, and the hungry he fills with good things.

Verse 2

[10] Some sat in darkness and in gloom, prisoners in affliction and in irons,
[11] for they had rebelled against the words of God, and spurned the counsel of the Most High.
[12] Their hearts were bowed down with hard labor; they fell down, with none to help.
[13] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[14] he brought them out of darkness and gloom, and broke their bonds asunder.

Refrain 2

[15] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[16] For he shatters the doors of bronze, and cuts in two the bars of iron.

Verse 3 -- your verse

[17] Some were sick through their sinful ways, and because of their iniquities suffered affliction;
[18] they loathed any kind of food, and they drew near to the gates of death.
[19] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[20] he sent forth his word, and healed them, and delivered them from destruction.

Refrain 3

[21] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[22] And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!

Verse 4

[23] Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters;
[24] they saw the deeds of the LORD, his wondrous works in the deep.
[25] For he commanded, and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea.
[26] They mounted up to heaven, they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight;
[27] they reeled and staggered like drunken men, and were at their wits' end.
[28] Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
[29] he made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.
[30] Then they were glad because they had quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven.

Refrain 4

[31] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to all humankind!
[32] Let them extol him in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.

Verse 5

[33] He turns rivers into a desert, springs of water into thirsty ground,
[34] a fruitful land into a salty waste, because of the wickedness of its inhabitants.
[35] He turns a desert into pools of water, a parched land into springs of water.
[36] And there he lets the hungry dwell, and they establish a city to live in;
[37] they sow fields, and plant vineyards, and get a fruitful yield.
[38] By his blessing they multiply greatly; and he does not let their cattle decrease.
[39] When they are diminished and brought low through oppression, trouble, and sorrow,
[40] he pours contempt upon princes and makes them wander in trackless wastes;
[41] but he raises up the needy out of affliction, and makes their families like flocks.

Final Refrain (Refrain 5)

[42] The upright see it and are glad; and all wickedness stops its mouth.
[43] Whoever is wise, let him give heed to these things; let people consider the steadfast love of the LORD.

About this Song: Main theme

The whole theme of the Psalm, the song, is God's loving kindness to people in their troubles -- even when their troubles are a result of their own folly or sin! The key word is hesed -- translated "loving-kindness" or "steadfast love" (as in the version I posted), or sometimes just "goodness".

The Song starts out by saying
....."Give thanks to the Lord for He is good
.....And His steadfast love endures forever"
And ends by saying
.....Whoever is wise, let him pay attention
.....let people consider the steadfast love of the LORD.
In between, it says 4 times -- after each of the first 4 verses, in the refrain:
.....Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love,
.....for his wonderful works to all humankind!
(where my translation says "all human kind" some translations say "to the sons of men".)

About this Song: Verses

The first four verses describe four specific sets of people who God rescued:
.....People who wandered in lonely wastelands
.....People who were prisoners, because they rebelled against God
.....People who were sick, because of sinful ways
.....People caught in a storm at sea
In each case, God rescues them.
The fifth verse talks more generally about how He reverses terrible situations, and helps people who are struggling and brought low because of "oppression, trouble, or sorrow"

Notice that of the four specific verses, the first (people in lonely wastelands, or desert places) and last (people caught in a storm at sea) are people in trouble through no fault of their own. The middle two verses are about people who got in trouble because of their mistakes or bad conduct -- prisoners because they rebelled against God (verse 2), or your verse, sick because of their sinful ways (verse 3). The Psalmist -- the writer of this song -- makes no distinction between them: God's desire in every case is to help people where they are at, whether they got there by accident, or by their own mistakes. Regardless of that, God loves to rescue people in trouble.

That is why the Psalmist can't keep from saying over and over:
.....Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love,
.....for his wonderful works to all people!

If you think about these things, it will make you wise (just like verse 43 says); and you will help your friends, and others in the church, learn to think more about the wonderful steadfast love of God, which continues to rescue us and help us in every kind of difficulty, even when we get ourselves in trouble!!

Bless you!!
Scruffy Kid

scourge39
Sep 6th 2008, 10:18 PM

Ditto. Sage advice, listen to it. You'd be doing a great disservice to your audience by simply preaching on one verse. Did this verse jump out at you during private Bible study? If it did, don't get in the habit of preaching out of YOUR devotional life. My former pastor did that and preached many unorthodox sermons as a result. Sadly, I still consider him to be a heretic to this very day based on some of his devotionally influenced sermons that did violence both to Christ and Scripture. Most single-verse sermons are spawned by devotional whims. The Bible is not a ouija board whereby we extrapolate magic verses from it in order to preach. I'm not accusing you of doing this, but just to warn you and anyone else that such tactics amount to nothing more than 'Christian divination.'

Ethnikos
Sep 7th 2008, 04:04 AM
Next Youth Sunday I Will Be Theme Speaking For My Church. My Topic is a Chosen Generation. I will be coming from Psalms 107:20.
Good luck with that. By putting those two things together, the generation and this verse from Psalms, I am guessing you are expected to show how that principle of salvation is or was applied at a particular time.
This is the way I would present what this chapter is getting at:
God's people were raised up by the teaching of His word. Over time, the people had grown away from that word, into a state of rebellion.
Because of their not following the instructions that were meant to keep them safe, they put themselves into danger and were at risk of being all killed off.
God at the appropriate time, put into affect a way for His word to be re-stated to His people, that would instruct them in what they had to do to get out of the situation they had gotten into.
You could say that the time that this story in Psalms was brought into reality was when the Word became flesh, as in the life of Jesus and the giving to us, the New Covenant.
God smashed chariots and split rocks and threw down the walls of cities to create the environment for His Word to flourish. The kingdom of priests that God was establishing,ended up badly,
As great as the works that He did for Israel, a greater work than that, He did in person, during that chosen generation, to bring us salvation.