PDA

View Full Version : A friend wanting to come to Christ but...

tryingmybest
Sep 5th 2008, 12:56 PM
Her husband doesn't want her to go to a retreat.

I am sponsoring her for a retreat because she wants to come to Christ and feels led to go to this weekend event. Her husband is giving her a really hard time. She doesn't think he understands what she is being led to do.

I think that the grace she experiences in the weekend will show, when she gets back, the kind of Christian wife she is meant to be and he will like it. But for now, do you think I should say anything to him to help him? :hmm:

daughter
Sep 5th 2008, 01:15 PM
I would say, trust God, and let Him deal with the husband. If he imagines that his wife is going against his authority, he's going to be resentful. When I became Christian, my husband was very resentful about it, and the scripture I kept thinking of was Peter, when he says, "wives, win without a word." If she's not Christian yet, you pray for her, that she can be obedient to her husband, as God intends. My husband used to distrust my Christian friend Jan, right up until the day he was saved. (After that he appreciated her.) So, be aware that the enemy will try to make him distrust you... don't let yourself be seen as the enemy.

Thing is, this retreat, while it could be wonderful for her, isn't the thing that's going to make her come to Christ. She doesn't need to do anything, or go anywhere to be saved, other than to look to Him.

That's not to say that she won't be able to go... just that it's not the most important thing. The most important thing is to trust God. And hey, thank God she's got you! Just keep praying, and don't take sides. Your instinct is sound here.

Here's my testimony, I hope it will help her.

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=d33b8adde0e1c0e199b4

Sold Out
Sep 7th 2008, 10:36 PM
I would say, trust God, and let Him deal with the husband. If he imagines that his wife is going against his authority, he's going to be resentful.

This is good advice.

dispen4ever
Sep 7th 2008, 10:37 PM
Let God deal with the husband.

Smallaxe
Sep 8th 2008, 02:21 PM
Let God deal with the husband.

I don't understand what it means to, "click on the icons above to activate posting box". So I clicked the quote button instead and that seemed to work.

I appreciate the fact that the idea here is to keep the husband and wife together. Besides creating division in the family by pushing for the retreat, there is no quicker way for a husband to disrespect his wife and her friend when they believe God is on their side and that God will 'deal' with him later.

So I too, would say that relationship within the household is more important than relationship with an outside group. Be an encouragement to her to walk according to God's will, teaching her to love her husband and her children.

tt1106
Sep 8th 2008, 04:25 PM
God will complete the work he started even without the weekend.
Keep her in prayer that she will make a commitment, lead him to Christ if he doesn't know him already and then they can both go.