PDA

View Full Version : Defining "perfection"

DigReal
Sep 5th 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm still new here, so don't know if this has been discussed before. But occasionally, when contemplating the Lord and his creation, I find myself wondering about the meaning of perfection. For example, asking a Christian to define perfection may bring the response "God!", and I agree. But in general, most people wouldn't even think of that response. They might say things like "without flaw or blemish", though I consider that definition to be too simplistic.

And so, I sometimes wonder. Does the Lord define perfection differently than man? I'm sure He does. Do Christians define perfection differently than non-Christians? Again, I'm sure they do. I also believe that to non-Christian man, perfection can't exist... at least not by his own definition.

Guess I don't really expect a definitive answer on this one ;) , but I am curious about how folks here will respond. From what I've found in the Bible so far, the words perfect and perfection aren't used very often, but they are there. If anyone understands how they were translated from the original Hebrew or Greek, I'd love to hear about that, too.

Thanks much and God Bless!

Steve

Sold Out
Sep 5th 2008, 09:09 PM
In Matthew 5:48, it says, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

This word 'perfect' in the greek is teleios, which means 'mature; all grown up'. The perfection that God requires of us as Christians is to become mature. Like you stated, no one can achieve absolute perfection in thought, word and deed...and if someone did (besides Jesus of course), they would not need a Savior!

The Word of God is compared to four different kinds of food: milk, honey, bread & meat. The writer of Hebrews exhorts us to move on from the milk (baby) to spiritual meat (grown up) in order to be mature (teleios).

"For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.' Hebrews 5:12-14

In chapter 6, verses 1 & 2, we are given the 6 doctrines we should know in order to be a grown-up Christian (full age):

"Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

Learn these doctrines, and you will be on your way to the perfection that God requires!

dispen4ever
Sep 5th 2008, 10:24 PM
1 Corinthians 2:1-16. The "mind" of Christ is His spiritual insight, wisdom, and understanding. Without it, one cannot understand and relate the scriptures to others. Christian perfection is walking in His footsteps. Christian perfection is knowing Him as Savior and Lord. He is our perfection. Look as well to see WHO Jesus is speaking to. He is imparting His perfection to the 12, and later the 70, so that they may go forth in His perfection to witness to the fact that Messiah is here! Read what gifts He gave them for their anointed mission!