PDA

View Full Version : Money in my pocket...

Makimbo
Sep 6th 2008, 06:29 AM
I read about this native missionary from India who felt called to live among some of the most unreached people in the world, the millions of poor, uneducated fishermen on India's east coast. The family was starving because they had little money but they were witnessing to thousands nonetheless. Gospel for Asia was able to step in and now this family and many like them are being supported by Westerners. The author said he doesn't blame God for the missionary's lack of money for food because he recognizes that there is an abundance of money in the West that God meant to be used for exactly this purpose, not for Americans to have huge houses, cars, and latte's every day.

The book is "Revolution in World Missions" by K.P. Yohannan, founder of Gospel for Asia, it's $1.50 at www gfa org Gospel for Asia has an intense focus on the 10/40 window, the area of the world where 2/3 of all people live and where the name of Jesus is least known. What their ministry is all about is financially and prayerfully supporting the native missionaries who God has raised up to go to their own people.

The true reason for Sodom's destruction: Ezekiel 16:49-50 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen."

And finally this image is given in the book: You go to heaven, see Jesus enthroned in all of His glory, see the other saints and martyrs, the streets of gold, etc. Then "scores of strangers whom you don't recognize start to gather around with happy smiles and outstretched hands." These are all of the people thanking you for supporting the native missionary who came to them to tell them about Jesus. Without you they would not have heard about Jesus.

We are all called to be a part of the mission field. If we live more humble lives we'll be able to financially support native missionaries and ultimately be a part of the radical movement of believers going into all the world to make disciples.

livingwaters
Sep 6th 2008, 05:25 PM
Makimbo, I agree!!! The Lord says HE will supply all of our needs....HE has done that for me for 54 yrs., as of today. HE has also blessed me abundantly so that I could be a blessing to others. I am a monthly contributor to the ABC Angels/Feed the Children...It just hurts my heart to see the conditions that these children have to live in, having no control over their own situation!!!

Also, I am a monthy contributor to TBN Gospel Network that goes into all the world....telling the Good News of Jesus Christ, our Savior, building hospitals, supplying food and water, giving toys to the children, and on, and on. Since, I'm not in the mission field, directly, I feel that this is my part in spreading the Gospel.

We really need to examine our hearts!!! Who knows how many lives my contributions might touch. Praise the Lord. (Matt 25:40)“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

God Bless:)

Makimbo
Sep 6th 2008, 10:33 PM
Exactly, after reading this book my whole outlook on missions has changed and now I see what part the West is to play in the Gospel being spread to the 10/40 window. It's through our money because there are so many native missionaries ready and willing to go share the name of Jesus in places where people think Jesus is a brand name for soap!

It never clicked like that before for me though and I believe the devil has been blinding our eyes so that we will keep spending more and more money on clothes, food, huge homes, oh and let's not forget those billion dollar super churches!

Rob Bell says in one of his Nooma videos called "Rich" that it would take $20 billion to end world hunger and that is how much Americans spend on ice cream each year!!!!!!

If a ministry is just about feeding the homeless and does not have the primary focus of telling about Jesus then what good will that do them in the end?

I can't believe that in India 40% of the crops are eaten by the cow and the rat, both seen as holy in the Hindu religion. So while most of the country is starving to death, the rats are infesting their homes! Obviously the problem has nothing to do with a lack of resources but a spiritual blindness that the devil has them in.

livingwaters
Sep 6th 2008, 10:45 PM
Exactly!! It really hurts my heart when I see people hoarding "stuff" when others, who have no control over there situations in many cases, don't have a morsel of food....The Gospel truly has to reach these folks. I want to do the best I can in funding their needs.Amen:)

Bethany67
Sep 6th 2008, 10:51 PM
Yup - thanks for posting about GFA. I'd never heard of them before.

Makimbo
Sep 6th 2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks for being interested! Be sure to pick up that book because it has so many AMAZING stories of what God has been doing in the world through native missionaries and how we can be a part of the story!

moonglow
Sep 6th 2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for posting about this...but I didn't understand this part of what you said:
The book is "Revolution in World Missions" by K.P. Yohannan, founder of Gospel for Asia, it's $1.50 at www gfa org Gospel for Asia has an intense focus on the 10/40 window,

What does having an intense focus on 10/40 window mean? I have no idea what a 10/40 window is? :confused

Would the money actually go to this family spreading the word of God?

Thanks.

God bless

Bethany67
Sep 6th 2008, 11:09 PM
Yes - I've ordered a copy and sponsored a native missionary.

Bethany67
Sep 6th 2008, 11:10 PM
Here's the definition of the 10/40 window, where roughly 2/3 of the world's population lives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10/40_Window

Makimbo
Sep 6th 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for asking, I should have cleared that up! Here's a definition from www.thetask.org, "The 10/40 Window is the area of the world between 10 and 40 degrees latitude north of the equator in the Eastern Hemisphere, covering North Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. The window contains most of the world’s areas of greatest physical and spiritual needs, most of the world’s least reached peoples, and the most anti-Christian governments in the world. Two-thirds of the world’s population is located in the 10/40 window. In areas of the 10/40 window, there is only one missionary for every one million people."

So Gospel for Asia is all about reaching the most unreached people in the world for Christ. What Gospel for Asia does is find people who are able to financially back up native missionaries (i.e. Indian missionaries witnessing in India). Native missionaries already know the language, culture and are used to the living conditions so it is most effective to send out native missionaries instead of spending on average $50,000 to send missionaries from the West. They are all trained in a 3 year Bible college before being sent out and if you read Revolution in World Missions you'll get to see the amazing things God is doing through them!

Unlike most organizations 100% of all money donated to the mission field is sent to the field. Many of these missionaries and their families are starving but in America we have plenty of money to change that!! Many native missionaries are ready to be sent to the most unreached people of the world but they need our money! How exciting that we can be a part of what God is doing in Asia just through sending our money!!!

Makimbo
Sep 6th 2008, 11:35 PM
Yes - I've ordered a copy and sponsored a native missionary.

Sweet!!! How exciting!!!! God has blessed us to be a blessing and that you are!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Makimbo
Sep 7th 2008, 02:57 PM
Pastor K.P. Yohannan also has some sermons up on YouTube.com. He talks about things like going without that $30+ hair cut and about how millions of people are dying and going to hell everyday because they never heard the name of Jesus.

If only we could get this through our heads and realize that hell is forever! Christians, we are left on this earth to make known the name of Jesus so that men can be saved. How different could the world be if we all embraced this truth!

moonglow
Sep 7th 2008, 05:29 PM
Pastor K.P. Yohannan also has some sermons up on YouTube.com. He talks about things like going without that $30+ hair cut and about how millions of people are dying and going to hell everyday because they never heard the name of Jesus.

If only we could get this through our heads and realize that hell is forever! Christians, we are left on this earth to make known the name of Jesus so that men can be saved. How different could the world be if we all embraced this truth!

See this bothers me him saying people are going to hell because the rest of us aren't giving money...that is limiting God greatly for one thing and second hinging it all on money! What about prayers for the missionaries? That is needed even more.

God is able to reach anyone we can't reach! Whether its because we truly cannot reach them (for instance not knowing a tribe exist in some part of the world) or even due to our lack of giving...this puts is ALL on us as if WE are saving people. We cannot save anyone...only lead them to Christ. It puts a guilt trip on people to give when they really don't have the money to give. Many of the people who give to these big ministries are on fixed incomes and truly don't have the extra money to give but they feel guilty thinking of all these people going to hell and its all their fault so they go without medication, cut out on food, don't get bills paid because they think they have to give...

Are there people who can afford to give that don't? Sure there is...there have always been people like that and always will be but those that God will save He WILL save inspite of us. There is just nothing in the bible that says its all solely up to us by any means. The American Indians knew who God and Jesus were long before people showed up with their bibles...because God revealed Himself to them. Image saying millions of Indians went to hell simply because America hadn't been discovered by other yet...that limits God horribly.

Of course this doesn't mean we shouldn't support missionaries...we should IF we can truly afford it. Prayers first, then money...

God bless

Makimbo
Sep 8th 2008, 12:34 AM
Prayer is a huge deal! At the Bible college the native missionaries go to they wake up every morning at 5 to pray for at least an hour; prayer is definitely foundational to everything they do. If this is all you can do right now then do it and don't feel bad for a second! My husband and I have been unemployed for two months because we've felt called to be houseparents. We don't even have money to pay rent (we live w/ my parents) so right now all we can do is pray. We do start a job next week though and now we are much more prepared to use our money in the best way possible. We aren't going to use it for furniture and we're going to really limit the times we go out to eat, we cut our own hair, that sort of thing.

The whole reason for the post is to help Americans learn what I'm so excited to learn. That we can be a part of what God is doing in the world simply by giving up on our luxuries (that we've become convinced we deserve) and giving to these native missionaries who are able to go and reach people we are not able to reach as effectively anymore.

Of course we're not the one's who save people, but God's plan is for His disciples to make His name known to all nations. This is His plan A and He has no plan B! In fact if you have never heard that this is the ONLY and PRIMARY reason why Christians have been left on this earth then you're being lied to.

God has called us to "make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19), to "be doers of the Word and not merely listeners" (James 1:22), to "sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven." (Mark 10:21b). He also says, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked" (Luke 12:48).

Look at the woman who gave less than a penny to the temple treasury in Mark 12:43-44, "Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

Here's a description of the early church from Acts 4:34-35, "There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need."

I see God as big, and definitely big enough to make His Name known to all of these unreached people. I know there's amazing stories out there about unreached people groups knowing about Jesus. In the places of Asia though, all the tribes that these native missionaries are going to are places where the Hindu priests/priestesses have the people so controlled through their demonic practices and their faces show the sign that they are spiritually dead. The missionaries went to one people group who used to do very barbaric, cannibalistic practices but now they're saved and have turned from their ways.

Consider these verses...

Romans 10:14-15 says, "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Then there's Matthew 24:14 that says, "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Makimbo
Sep 8th 2008, 12:47 AM
Rob Bell exposes the truth in his Nooma video Rich:

1.)Experts say in order to provide water, basic health, and nutrition to everyone in the world it would cost $20 billion WHAT AMERICA SPENDS ON ICE CREAM IN A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.) 8% of the people in the world own a car. If you own a car, 92% of people in the world see you and think, RICH!!!!!!!!!!!

3.) Do you have clean drinking water? 1 billion people in the world don't

4.) Do you have food? 800 million people won't eat today (300 million of them kids) Every couple of seconds somebody dies of starvation.

5.) Do you have change in your pocket? 1 billion people live on less than $1/day

WE ARE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the biggest lie in the world to think that we are not!!!

It's time for a lifestyle change. Maybe that means no more going out to movies, eating out less, no more expensive hair cuts, huge homes, nicest cars, etc. Be creative, what do you really need? And don't forget, "my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Phill. 4:19).

moonglow
Sep 8th 2008, 02:17 PM
Rob Bell exposes the truth in his Nooma video Rich:

1.)Experts say in order to provide water, basic health, and nutrition to everyone in the world it would cost $20 billion WHAT AMERICA SPENDS ON ICE CREAM IN A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.) 8% of the people in the world own a car. If you own a car, 92% of people in the world see you and think, RICH!!!!!!!!!!!

3.) Do you have clean drinking water? 1 billion people in the world don't

4.) Do you have food? 800 million people won't eat today (300 million of them kids) Every couple of seconds somebody dies of starvation.

5.) Do you have change in your pocket? 1 billion people live on less than $1/day

WE ARE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the biggest lie in the world to think that we are not!!!

It's time for a lifestyle change. Maybe that means no more going out to movies, eating out less, no more expensive hair cuts, huge homes, nicest cars, etc. Be creative, what do you really need? And don't forget, "my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Phill. 4:19).

80% of the people in the world do not have a bed to sleep on!

Our pastor one time said American's spend more money on chewing gum in they spend on supporting missionaries over seas. He was big into this...supporting it and going over seas himself on missionary trips. One time he went to South America and we all donated medication and other things for them to take in a suitcase. The problem was many times these things don't get through but are stolen then sold on the black market before ever reaching those in need. That was the reason for one suitcase...one he could take on board with him. If it got put in with the rest of the luggage it would probably never be seen again. This is one of the biggest problems these missionaries face...while many people DO donate...it simply never reaches them due to the corruption in these counties. Its stolen as I said and sold on the black market. Food shipped to countries in need are stopped usually by the governments their themselves and either put away leaving these people to starve to death or used for other things.

I think if all our AIDE would actually reach all of these people they wouldn't be in as bad of shape as they are.

I think we give alot more then most realize...here is a good article on it though a few years old:

Data Show Americans Give to Charity, Volunteer (http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2005/February/200502181639511CJsamohT5.593508e-02.html)

The problem as I said...isn't so much not giving..its just not reaching these people due to the terrible corruption in their own governments. Did you know in India...with the Hindu tradition..when the mother become old and her husband dies she is left to beg on the streets for food? Her adult children will not take care of her because its 'tradition' to do this. Its horrible. Hearts need to change!

God bless

Makimbo
Sep 8th 2008, 06:43 PM
No worries, 100% of all money sent is held accountable for and you can even request an audited financial statement from the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability whom GFA is a part of.

I wish the focus wasn't on money, it's never an easy topic but Jesus talked about money more than he talked about heaven and hell combined. Why? Because where we spend our money shows exactly where our heart is. Matthew 6:19 says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The real thing is that money is not even the focus, the focus here is that everybody has a role to play in world evangelism. It just so happens that in the East there is extreme poverty, in the West there is extreme wealth. So the way the puzzle fits together is by the West sending money to the East and ultimately the Great Commission will be played out. This alone is the goal.

If you don't like this message then that's between you and God. When I heard this message I was so excited to be able to be a part of the huge mission that is going on over in Asia, I want to share this knowledge with everyone!! I would definitely expect people to be defiant against actually crossing seas and going there themselves but simply giving money, really?

I know not everybody is called to do overseas mission work, but if you're a Christ follower then you are not excused from being "missional." Whether that's through praying, sending money overseas, or even through being a missionary to your own neighborhood/work place, everyday our soul mission as Christ followers is to make His Name known among the nations.

moonglow
Sep 8th 2008, 08:19 PM
No worries, 100% of all money sent is held accountable for and you can even request an audited financial statement from the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability whom GFA is a part of.

I wish the focus wasn't on money, it's never an easy topic but Jesus talked about money more than he talked about heaven and hell combined. Why? Because where we spend our money shows exactly where our heart is. Matthew 6:19 says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The real thing is that money is not even the focus, the focus here is that everybody has a role to play in world evangelism. It just so happens that in the East there is extreme poverty, in the West there is extreme wealth. So the way the puzzle fits together is by the West sending money to the East and ultimately the Great Commission will be played out. This alone is the goal.

If you don't like this message then that's between you and God. When I heard this message I was so excited to be able to be a part of the huge mission that is going on over in Asia, I want to share this knowledge with everyone!! I would definitely expect people to be defiant against actually crossing seas and going there themselves but simply giving money, really?

I know not everybody is called to do overseas mission work, but if you're a Christ follower then you are not excused from being "missional." Whether that's through praying, sending money overseas, or even through being a missionary to your own neighborhood/work place, everyday our soul mission as Christ followers is to make His Name known among the nations.

I don't know where you got the idea I was against missionaries...of course not! Nor am I against supporting them either...

I was simple pointing out other problems in reaching these people was all...

:confused

Bethany67
Sep 10th 2008, 03:47 PM
Well I've certainly been convicted by this thread and I thank Makimbo for starting it.

Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." Matthew 9 - see also Luke 10 and John 4.

There are people who aren't in a position to go themselves or contribute financially, but nothing to stop them praying. Each has an important role.

From my historical research and ponderings, I'd say one of the reasons God has blessed us financially in the West is specifically to help spread the Gospel, not keep it all for ourselves and be apathetic. I hear what Moonglow says about corruption and aid, and she makes a valid point. I'd say if you're considering supporting a ministry, do your research first - identify how the money is used, and ensure that it sits well with your role as a steward of God's resources, because we will have to give an account of how we've lived, what we've done with the things entrusted to us, and our motives for doing so. I've chosen a female missionary in a Hindu area because (a) male missionaries are less likely to interact with them and reach them and (b) reach the women and children at the same time, and you have an input into the generations to come. Biggest bang for my buck, if you like. But it doesn't stop with me donating a small amount each month; I'm committing to praying for this woman and her ministry as well.

Makimbo
Sep 11th 2008, 08:47 PM
That's so awesome Bethany! There's been a lot of conflict going on over this issue, here and on another forum but knowing that posting this was able to result in you sponsoring a missionary makes it all worth it!!!! You've definitely gotten the message, most people I've been talking to don't want to admit that America is a rich, rich nation. I know that's because they probably just don't know how bad it really is in other countries. You can definitely see the blessings we have are a result of this nation at least starting off as a Christian nation. You can also see the stronghold that Satan has over the countries that have never turned to God, as all of the physical problems there have deep spiritual roots.

I was just reading today this story about Dr. James Dobson's father who was an evangelist who lived off of the small amount of money he made at different speaking events. Nonetheless he gave out of the little amount that he had whenever he met someone in need. The day finally came when the family had no money. The first thing they did was got together and prayed for the Lord to provide. The very next day an unexpected check came in the mail for $1200!

The point that Dr. Dobson was making was that God doesn't NEED our money, but that we NEED to give our money. It keeps us from ever being greedy or from putting our trust into money rather than into God.