PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Kings

Frances
Sep 6th 2008, 04:51 PM
Kings - From the Fore Word of my NKJV (970BC – 586BC)
“The first half of Kings traces the life of Solomon. Under his leadership Israel rises to the peak of her size and glory. Solomon’s great accomplishments including the unsurpassed splendour of the Temple he constructs in Jerusalem brings him world-wide fame and respect. However, Solomon’s zeal for God diminishes in his later year, as pagan wives turn his heart away from worship in the Temple of God. As a result, the king with the divided heart leaves behind a divided kingdom. For the next century the book of 1st Kings traces the twin histories of two sets of kings and two nations of disobedient people who are growing indifferent to God’s prophets.”

1 Kings 1

What did I learn of God? – His Will will be accomplished, however unlikely it may sometimes seem (Solomon was not David’s eldest son, yet became king) He does not hold a parent’s Sin against their child.

What did I learn of Myself? – Have I failed to discipline children/young people I am responsible for? - as David failed to discipline Adonijah and Absolem which was the direct cause of their Sin - if so I share their blame. Do I always keep my promises, even belatedly? Do I act straightforwardly like Bathsheba, or try to obtain what I want in an underhanded way like Adonijah? Do I place myself under God’s Protection when I have done wrong? as Adonijah did when he grasped the horns of the altar. Am I wise, and patient, enough to wait for God to give me what He has Promised? or do I try to seize what I want?

What did I praise God for? – being in overall control of events that relate to me.

What did I pray for? – that however difficult it may seem, I will wait for God to ensure what is His Will for me happens.

What does this say in one sentence? – Adonijah tried to seize the kingdom of Israel, but David had Solomon anointed and proclaimed king.

Quote:- (Alan Paton)
“When his life’s work was threatened, Ignatius of Loyola was asked what he would do if Pope Paul 1V dissolved, or otherwise acted against, the Society of Jesus to which he had devoted his energies and gifts; to which he replied ‘I would pray for 15 minutes, then I would not think of it again”

Frances
Sep 7th 2008, 04:32 PM
1 Kings 2

What did I learn of God? – Faith in Him, love for Him and obedience to Him are the most important things anyone can pass on to their children.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I doing all I an to propagate faith in God, love for Him and obedience to Him, by word and example? Have I really forgiven those who incite others to harm me or those I love?

What did I praise God for? – that He is worthy of trust, love and obedience.

What did I pray for?- that I don’t let Him down in any way and that I forgive others in the ame way I want God to forgive me.

What does this say in one sentence? – David, dying, told Solomon to kill those he had ‘forgiven’ – which was carried out.

Frances
Sep 8th 2008, 04:47 PM
1 Kings 3

What did I learn of God? – He will give an ‘understanding heart’ and the ability to discern between good and evil to those who truly desire them and are obedient to Him. He may occasionally communicate with His people in dreams. He is Merciful. He may give to His servants much more than they ask for.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I ever do what seems expedient but may lead me away from the Lord? Do I ask the Lord to give me, ‘an understanding heart’ and the ability to discern between good and evil? Do I live to please God instead of myself? Do I always obey Him? Do I always refer decisions to the Lord for His Guidance? Would I give up all claim to what is precious to me to ensure it is not destroyed. Am I wise enough to apply what I know - and so make good decisions?

What did I praise God for? – Giving His people all they need to do His Will.

What did I pray for? – an understanding heart, greater ability to discern His Will and desire to obey Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon’s request for wisdom and the desire to apply it God’s Way.

Frances
Sep 9th 2008, 04:18 PM
1 Kings 4

What did I learn of God? – The wisdom and understanding He gave Solomon was ‘second to none’. His ability to give is limitless. He ensures all the people needed to help those faithful to Him are available.

What did I learn of Myself? – Does the Lord want me to support His ‘up-front person in some way? Do I fully appreciate those who help me or are my friends? Do I fully appreciate those who ensure I live in peace and prosperity? Am I ever jealous of those whose lives are obviously greatly Blessed? or do I recognise the greater temptations to Sin they have to overcome – knowing I have no greater strength than they to resist it – with gratitude? Do I realise that every Blessing I enjoy comes from the Lord God? Am I aware of the difference between His Blessings and the Enemy’s counterfeit?

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom and Power.

What did I pray for? – Wisdom, and the discernment to know how to apply it.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon’s administrators, his wisdom and the prosperity his people enjoyed during his reign.

Note:- It has been suggested that, based on the amount of food listed, the number of people in his administration(his court) was between 4,000 and 5,000.

Frances
Sep 10th 2008, 04:49 PM
1 Kings 5

What did I learn of God? – He may be willing to wait for generations for something to be accomplished for His Glory by His obedient servants.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I impatient for projects to be accomplished? or willing to wait for the time God knows is right? Do I accept all friendships freely offered? Do I act honourably with those who work for me? Do I pay my debts in full? or try to beat-down the price I pay(not necessarily money)? Am I mindful of other people’s commitments? (eg. Solomon allowed conscripted labour to only work for him for 4 months each year, so they had time to work their own land too) or do I expect my own desires to come first? Am I willing to be just one of many, or do I expect a leadership position?

What did I praise God for? – knowing the right timee and the right builder for projects.

What did I pray for? – that all projects I would like to complete are done in His time, by the people of His choice.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon prepares to build the Temple.

Frances
Sep 11th 2008, 05:39 PM
1 Kings 6 + 7

What did I learn of God? – He ensured His Word gives all necessary details (eg. in 966BC Solomon began building the Temple) His Promises being fulfilled depends on the obedience of His people. He requires the best available materials and workmanship.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I prepared for long, slow progress when I obey the Lord? (eg. the Temple took 7 years to build). Do I realise the small part I play in God’s schemes is very important in some way? (eg. if I had been working on the Temple would I have said I spent my time ‘cutting wood’ or ‘cutting stone’ – or would I have proudly said I was ‘building the Temple’?) My obedience to God enables me to receive His Promises to me. Do I stick to God’s Plan for my life, or think I know best? Do I use what skill and ability I have for God’s Glory?(nothing is insignificant)

What did I praise God for? – knowing what is best for me.

What did I pray for? – that I never deviate from His Will for me.

What does this say in one sentence? – the Temple was built 90ft. long, 30ft. wide and 45ft. high, with the best materials and workmanship available, and everything needed for it’s purposes was created.

Frances
Sep 12th 2008, 05:49 PM
1 Kings 8

What did I learn of God? – He is present where His people honour Him. He ensures that what He wants done is completed. What He encourages one of His people to desire may not come to fruition during their lifetime. Nothing is large enough to contain Him. He knows what is in each person’s heart. The Jews are still His people, just as they were before Christians became His too. (no one forgets their ‘firstborn’ because they have another child!)

What did I learn of Myself? – do I do all I can to encourage others to glorify the Lord? Do I value, and keep, God’s Commandments? Do I encourage the Lord to be with me by my obedience to Him and desire to please Him? Do I rely on repentance and Jesus’ Sacrifice in my place, or on religious observance for God’s Forgiveness and help? Am I loyal to God? Do I always try to please Him? Does my understanding of who God is guide my behaviour? Do my prayers reflect what I know of His Character as Solomon’s did?

What did I praise God for? – His Presence and Character.

What did I pray for? – the strength and desire to always be loyal to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – Dedication of the Temple, the Ark brought to it, and Solomon’s speech.

Quote:- (1 John 5:14-15) “If we ask anything according to His Will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us- whatever we ask – we know that we have what we asked of Him”

Frances
Sep 13th 2008, 05:53 PM
1 Kings 9

What did I learn of God? – He hears the prayers of His people. He is present where He is worshipped from the heart. He appeared to Solomon. He fulfils His Promises to those who follow Him with integrity, faithfulness, and obedience but His Promises are null and void for those who turn from Him.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I faithful to God in all things? Does He recognise integrity in me? Do I fail to keep His commandments and statutes? When I have reached my goals in life I must remember that vulnerability comes with success. Only a wholehearted love for God, not regular attendance at religious gatherings, will keep me faithful to Him.

What did I praise God for? – His Presence with those who obey Him.

What did I pray for? – sufficient strength and desire to always be faithful to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – God appeared to Solomon, who had a lot of buildings, boats and city walls constructed.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) “For some, retirement is a critical time. We’ve worked all our lives. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy. Rather than use our time to serve God and others some lose their sense of purpose and drift away from God.
That moment when we think we have succeeded can be the most dangerous for us spiritually.”

Frances
Sep 14th 2008, 03:27 PM
1 Kings 10

What did I learn of God? – He’ll love Israel forever. He was known far and wide because of the wisdom He gave Solomon. Because He gave Solomon wisdom both Solomon and Israel became wealthy.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I willing to spend time and money to seek God’s Wisdom? Do I deduce which ‘wisdom’ to believe by whether or not it is in line with God’s Word? or do I follow the crowd?

What did I praise God for? – He wants my fully yielded heart more than those things the world values.

What did I pray for? – that my life will Glorify the Lord.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Queen of Sheba visited Solomon, gave him great wealth and received everything she asked for.

Note:- Solomon’s annual income is listed as 25tons of gold. Like other kings of that time, he gave most to the Temple of his God. It is worth noting that Pharoah Shishak attacked Jerusalem(1Kings 14:26) and took home the ‘treasures of the temple of the Lord and the treasures of the royal palace’ and 5 years later his son Osorkon gave 383 tons of precious metal to Egypt’s gods and goddesses.

Frances
Sep 15th 2008, 05:10 PM
1 Kings 11

What did I learn of God? - He gave Laws to protect His people from harmful influences of body, mind and spirit. He becomes angry with those who not only turn away from Him, but whose actions lead others from Him too. He always keeps His Promises.

What did I learn of Myself? – If I obey God in everything I will be protected from things that will harm me in body, mind and spirit; and that could harm others because of me. Are the difficulties I experience caused by my disobedience to God in the present or past, or designed to encourage me to rely on Him more? Do I take care to obey Him in everything? If I am truly wise I will trust God completely and be totally faithful to Him. Do I continue to seek a stronger relationship with God as I get older?

What did I praise God for? – His Faithfulness to those faithful to Him, and His Forgiveness to those who repent, trusting Christ’s Sacrifice on their behalf.

What did I pray for? – a reminder to obey Him if I think of deviating from His best for me.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon turned away from God because his wives trusted in other gods – ensuring that his son, and the whole nation suffered in the future.

Note:- Solomon’s initial success depended on his relationship with God, not his intelligence. It is the Lord God who brings us success, not our talents/gifts.

Quote:- (Miguel Febres Cordero-Munoz) “The heart is rich when it is content, and it is always content when it’s desires are always fixed on God. Nothing can bring greater happiness than doing God’s Will for the love of God.”

Frances
Sep 16th 2008, 05:26 PM
1 Kings 12

What did I learn of God? – He is able to influence for, good or ill, those who do not worship Him or serve His people - to fulfil His Word. He makes it clear if what appears evil is from Him. Mankind’s pride may turn what He intends for good, to evil.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I consider the difficulties of others? or surround myself with friends whose advise will lead me to even more pride and selfishness? Do I heed God’s Voice when He tells me to accept unwelcome facts? Do I encourage others to worship ‘another Jesus’ by mis-representing Him? Do I ever fight with other Christians , or do I take Shemaiah’s advise to not ‘fight against your brothers’?

What did I praise God for? – that I don’t have to go anywhere special to worship Him.

What did I pray for? – to hear God clearly and be encouraged to act on whet He says immediately.

What does this say in one sentence? – God divided the kingdom to fulfil the punishment of Solomon, and Jereboam instigated a false religion based on the revealed worship of God, but deviating from it.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) “Gradually many true believers in the north drifted across the border to settle in Judah, illustrated by the growth of Judah’s original 180,000 fighting men (12:21) to 400,000 fighting men 18 years later (Chron. 13:3).

Frances
Sep 17th 2008, 05:42 PM
1 Kings 13

What did I learn of God? – He will not accept worship from those not obedient to Him. When necessary for His Purposes He will cause one of His people to prophecy and will fulfil it – maybe immediately or maybe many generations later. He expects obedience from His people, no matter what persuasion to the contrary anyone else may use. He punishes those who disobey Him.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I declare God's true worth to others? (true worship). Am I always obedient to God? Do I ever do things outside the authority He has given me? Do I trust the Lord enough to put my life in danger to obey Him? When God warns me of his displeasure it is wise to change my ways. Do I believe, and follow, those the Lord has used in the past even though what they say is contrary to what God has said to me? if so I must expect Him to discipline me in some way. Have I ever deceived anyone by telling lies? Have I repented?

What did I praise God for? – His standards are the same yesterday, today and will be forever.

What did I pray for? – to stick rigidly to His revealed will.

What does this say in one sentence? – God’s message to Jeroboam by the altar at Bethel, and the death of His prophet because he was disobedient.

Quote:- (Bernard of Clairvaux) “If you observe anything evil within yourself, correct it; if something good, preserve it; if something beautiful, foster it; if something sound, maintain it; if sickly, heal it. Read unwearyingly the precepts of the Lord and, sufficiently instructed by them, you will know what to avoid and what to persue.”

Frances
Sep 18th 2008, 04:27 PM
1 Kings 14

What did I learn of God? – He cannot be deceived. If He raises someone up to lead His people and they are not true to Him, in every way, they will suffer for their unfaithfulness. He disciplines His people if they turn away from Him. Only He knows, and has control of, the future. He puts up with a lot from mankind, but His Patience has an end.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I realise the future is known only to Almighty God? Have I ever tried to discover the future by devious means? Has the Lord ever used me as His mouthpiece? if so am I careful not to add to or subtract from anything He has said? Have I fully understood that small children, and other Godly loved ones who die have been saved from future pain I know nothing about; instead of blaming God for my distress, have I thanked Him for His Blessing to them?

What did I praise God for? – His Patience with me.

What did I pray for? – that I change my ways to please Him before I try His Patience too far.

What does this say in one sentence? – God’s Judgement on Jeroboam and Rehoboam, Solomon’s sons.

Quote:- (Isaiah 57:1-2) “The righteous perish . . . devout men are taken away , and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Those who walk uprightly enter into Peace; they find rest as they lie in death.”

Frances
Sep 19th 2008, 04:14 PM
1 Kings 15

What did I learn of God? – He keeps His Promises in-spite of mankind’s wickedness.

What did I learn of Myself? – Will I be remembered by God as one who sinned against Him? or as one who obeyed Him, influenced others for good and was active against evil? If I am not true to the Lord in every respect I may cause strife and suffering. Do I invite others to come to the Lord? Do I remove barriers to enable them to do so? Only what I do for God will be of any value. Do I learn from other people’s mistakes?

What did I praise God for? – always keeping His Promises.

What did I pray for? - a greater desire to correct evil and wisdom to know how to do it.

What does this say in one sentence? – the reigns of Abijam, Asa, Nadab and Baasha.

Quote:- (the Compass) “Longfellow could take a sheet of paper, write a poem on it, and make it worth $6,000 – that’s genius. Rockefellow could sign his name to a piece of paper and make it worth a million – that’s wealth. A painter can take a 50 cent piece of canvas, paint a picture on it and make it worth $10,000 – that’s art.
But . . . God can take a worthless sinful life, wash it in the Blood of Christ, put His Spirit in it, and make it a Blessing to humanity – that’s Salvation.

Frances
Sep 20th 2008, 05:23 PM
1 Kings 16

What did I learn of God? – He punishes those who lead His people into Sin. He keeps His Word. What He has said comes to pass. He is not impressed with worldly achievements.

What did I learn of Myself? – do I learn form other people’s mistakes? Do I ensure nothing I do or say will lead folk from God and Truth? Do I deviate from Scripture in any way? It is my responsibility to ensure the Bible translations I trust are not unreliable or paraphrases. Do I always do God’s Will? What will God want folk to remember about me – if anything?

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? – to be corrected before I lead anyone into Sin.

What does this say in one sentence? – While Asa reigned in Judah, Elah, Zimri, Omri and Ahab reigned in Israel.

Note:- In 1898 the Moabite Stone was discovered, which tells how Omri conquered Moab and imposed tribute. He increased Israel’s military strength and made Samaria a large, attractive, easily defended city. 100 years later Assyrian records still referred to Israel as the ‘land of Omri’; but the only thing that concerned God was that ‘he too did evil’.

Frances
Sep 21st 2008, 05:04 PM
1 KINGS 17

What did I learn of God? - He speaks to, and He provides (the essentials) for, those who obey Him. He keeps His Promises. He answers His servant's prayers (not always as they would choose).

What did I learn of myself? - Do I obey the Lord, even when what He tells me to do or say seems ridiculous? What He tells me to do or say may make me unpopular.
God will keep His Promises to me; what He promises someone else may not necessarily apply to me too. He will always answer my prayers (perhaps 'yes' perhaps 'no' perhaps 'wait') Do I share what I have with others? My life may depend on my obedience to God. The life and well-being of others may depend on my prayers for them. Do I take much of the Lord's providence for granted? Is it only Life in place of death that enables me to see Him as He really is? I will gain much more, in some way, than whatever I give up for God.

What did I praise God for? - His Healing Power.

What did I pray for? - a greater awareness of my responsibilities to pray for others.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Elijah proclaims a drought is fed by ravens, then by a widow, then prays for her child who returns to life.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Baal was originally a god of storms, worshipped for his supposed ability to bring rain and make the land fertile. The drought announced by Elijah struck at the strength of the pagan deity that Ahab and Jezebel attempted to make dominant in Israel (and) displayed a major tenet of Biblical faith; 'the Lord, He is God"

Frances
Sep 22nd 2008, 04:57 PM
1 KINGS 18

What did I learn of God? - He is true to His people. He may send His people into difficult situations, to demonstrate His Power. Nothing is too difficult for Him. He is able to (but not obliged to) give those faithful to Him superhuman ability.

What did I learn of myself? - do I obey God even if I fear the result? Do I fear the Lord's wrath more than anything else? Do I waste time and energy searching for what God has removed? Do I trust the Lord enough to follow Him into danger? do I know the difference between my thoughts and God's Voice? Do I always act on what He says? Am I certain I am following the Lord and not 'another Jesus'? Why? Do I continue to trust the Lord to fulfill His Promises when there is no evidence of it happening? Do I trust God to use my prayers ;to accomplish His Purposes?

What did I praise God for? - He keeps His Promises.

What did I pray for? – that His Will is always done in and through me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Elijah, the prophets of Baal and answered prayer.

Notes:- Obediah was probably a 'secret believer' or Jezebel would have had him executed too. Jezebel imported pagan 'missionaries' to convert Israel to her faith and suppressed worship of God - this is happening in many nations today.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " Ancient texts portray the Phonecian god Baal as a bloodthirsty as well as lascivious god: his priests slashed themselves with knives in the hope that the smell of blood might attract his attention."

Frances
Sep 23rd 2008, 04:32 PM
1Kings 19

What did I learn of God? - He understands, and Ministers to, our weaknesses. He encourages us to tell Him what we are thinking (so we understand our wrong thinking ourselves). He is not in natural power - wind, earthquake or fire. He speaks in a gentle whisper. He sends His disheartened people back to face what they fear. He always has many people faithful to Him (eg. the underground church in China which grew enormously). He calls replacements for those who serve Him while they are fit and able.

What did I learn of myself? - If I am faithful to God my life maybe threatened. I cannot run away from God; He has, and will, always send me back to face what I run away from, with more work to do for Him. All my strength and ability comes from the Lord. Do I hear, and heed, His still small Voice? or do I miss it in the tumult of my thoughts? Do I feel threatened by those the Lord has chosen to replace me? or am I glad of their friendship?

What did I praise God for? - knowing where I am, and what I think, all the time.

What did I pray for? - Strength to face whatever I fear.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jezebel threatened Elijah, so he ran away - but God had more work for him and sent him back.

Quote:- (Julian of Norwich) "He said not: thou shalt not be troubled - thou shalt not be tempted - thou shalt not be distressed. But He said 'thou shalt not be overcome"

Frances
Sep 24th 2008, 04:49 PM
1Kings 20

What did I learn of God?- He is able to protect His people; He warns them to prepare for coming difficulties, for the Glory of His Name – even when they have turned from Him to other gods. He keeps His Word. His Grace is intended to draw folk to Him. He expects total obedience from those He Saves.

What did I learn of myself? – Am I willing to give what I treasure to protect others? Will I protect others, and their possessions? God is faithful to me, am I equally faithful to Him? Have I a weakness know to others? Am I determined to grow strong where I am weak, with the Lord’s help? Do I ever fight against God and His people? Am I totally obedient to God, in every detail? Do I suffer because my leaders do not obey God? I am responsible for the choices I make, and the opportunities I refuse. When God rebukes me to I repent? or grow sullen and angry? Do I only turn to God when I am in desperate trouble? It’s not what I know about God that counts, but how I respond to Him.

What did I praise God for? – His Faithfulness.

What did I pray for? – to fulfil every detail of God’s Will for me.

What does this say in one sentence? – God enabled Ahab to defeat the Syrians twice, but Ahab made a treaty with Ben-Hadad instead of killing him – so signed his own death warrant.

Frances
Sep 25th 2008, 05:56 PM
1Kings 21

What did I learn of God? - He avenges those of His servants who are murdered. He warns of punishment to come. He may delay punishment for evildoers, to give them the chance to repent.

What did I learn of myself? - If I covet anything belonging to another it may lead to wickedness. God may send me to give unwelcome news to another, because of His Love for them - will I give it? or disobey God because I think it is more loving not to? Do I repent when my misdemeanours are pointed out to me? Do I persecute those who have spoken of my Sin? Am I happy to profit from the wrongful actions of others? I can be my own worst enemy, or (intent on pleasing God) my own best friend. I, too, can receive Grace through genuine repentance.

What did I praise God for? - His tough Love - pointing out my Sin so I have the opportunity to repent.

What did I pray for? - reminders not to covet anything belonging to another.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jezebel had Naboth murdered so that Ahab could steal his vineyard.

Note:- Kings in Biblical Israel were supposed to rule under God, for the benefit of God's people. Being King was never a right to command others for the kings benefit. As Jesus said (Matt. 20:26-28) "Whoever wants to be great among you must be your slave - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve."

Frances
Sep 26th 2008, 04:44 PM
1Kings 22

What did I learn of God? - He may allow His people to listen to 'lying spirits' instead of Him. His Word is Truth. No one can prevent His Word of Judgement coming to pass, if they don't act on His warnings. He did not deceive Ahab, but allowed him to act on a lie.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I careful to believe only those I know to always be faithful to God's Word? Do I say the same as the Lord even if it alienates me from others? Am I always faithful to Him? Do I ever think God will not notice me? Do I take His warnings seriously? Do I deceive myself?

What did I praise God for? - that I can never hide from Him.

What did I pray for? - that I will never be deceived.

What does this say in one sentence? - the death of Ahab.

Frances
Sep 27th 2008, 05:03 PM
2 Kings 1

What did I learn of God? - He is not pleased when His people disregard Him and favour other gods - and punishes them. He is Powerful. His word is True. He is Merciful.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ever try to discover what the future holds for me? if so I risk God's wrath. Do I respect those who proclaim the Truth of God's word? Do I check what preachers/writers say against the Bible? Do I listen to, and obey, the Lord?

What did I praise God for? - His limitless Power.

What did I pray for? - to always be content to trust Him with my future.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Judgment regarding Ahaziah.

Frances
Sep 29th 2008, 04:43 PM
2 Kings 2

What did I learn of God? - He took Elijah to heaven in a whirlwind. He is capable of doing 'the impossible'. He tells those who listen to Him of significant things that He will do. He is the Healer. He is Holy and Just.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I obey God or a person I look up to, and rely on, to speak to me on matters relating to God? Do I keep my eyes on Jesus? Do I continue to say what I know to be right? or allow others to dissuade me? Do I lose me temper when provoked? or follow my LORD Jesus and 'turn the other cheek'? Although I am not a 'high profile Christian' my obedience to God is very necessary and important.

What did I praise God for? - that Jesus Christ is far greater than Elijah, and that He gives as much of His Spirit to those of His people who are willing to receive, and obey Him.

What did I pray for? - encouragement to use all the Gifts God has give, and will give me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Elijah ascends to heaven and Elisha takes his place as God's premier prophet.

Frances
Sep 30th 2008, 06:39 PM
2 Kings 3

What did I learn of God? - He never gives up on His people. He is not pleased with partial adherence to Him. His Voice may be heard more clearly when the recipient relaxes listening to gentle music. He may require His people to work with Him to secure their needs. Is obedience to Him what ensures His help?

What did I learn of myself? - Is my dedication to the Lord, and my desire to please Him complete? Do I diligently minister to Him during times when I am under stress? do I find worship of other gods repulsive?

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to those faithful to Him.

What did I pray for? - to be corrected if I am about to deviate from His Way.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Kings of Israel and Judah fought against the king of Moab.

Question:- Why was there indignation against Israel because the king of Moab used his eldest son as a burnt offering to his god? Could it be the same reason that folk who ignore God blame Him when their unGodly actions cause difficulties?

Frances
Oct 1st 2008, 05:32 PM
2 Kings 4

What did I learn of God? - .The Power of the Holy Spirit will never run out where an empty soul waits to be filled by Him. He commands the 'power of nature' including death. He often warns those close to Him of problems to come. He multiplies what is given to Him. He has the ability to free from slavery, preserve life and provide needs.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I have sufficient faith in God to believe He is capable of doing what is, without His intervention, impossible? Do I believe God is able to control life and death? Do I ever miss the Healing God offers because I consider the remedy indicated is too simple, so don't do it?

What did I praise God for? - His remedies for my problems may be very simple.

What did I pray for? - motivation to obey Him in every 'unimportant' detail.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God, through Elisha's obedience, fills jars with oil; returns a boy to life'; purifies a pot of stew and multiplies some barley buns to feed 100 men.

Frances
Oct 2nd 2008, 05:40 PM
2 Kings 5

What did I learn of God? - He speaks through the young, and the apparently insignificant as well as renowned prophets and everyone in between. He may use children to encourage action. What He requires a person to do to receive health may seem pointless and even insulting, but may be to demonstrate their faith in Him. He deserves praise and worship, especially from those He has Healed. He acts against those who seek to profit from His Mercy.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I speak of God's Power? Do I look up to a person the Lord works through instead of the Lord Himself? I may have to do something 'beneath my dignity' to receive what I need from God. Do I trust the Lord enough to humble myself in front of those who work for me? Have I ever tried to make money from a Gift the Lord gave? Do I ever say anything not 100% true? My Sin will cling to me - unless I repent of it, trusting Jesus death in my place, to enable me to receive God's Forgiveness.

What did I praise God for? – His Healing Power has not diminished, He also Heals today.

What did I pray for? - greater integrity.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Naaman, Elisha and Gehazi.

Frances
Oct 3rd 2008, 04:22 PM
2 Kings 6

What did I learn of God? - He does what is impossible for mankind through His servants. He is concerned about the personal problems of individuals. He gives supernatural knowledge to those who serve Him. He is able to protect His servants with 'chariots of fire'. He gives what His servants pray for if they pray according to His Will.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I trust the Lord to do what is impossible for me? Do I trust the Lord to protect me from danger (Ps. 34:7)? Kindness may achieve more than violent speech or actions(Rom. 12:20-21). Do I heed, and act on, the Lord's Guidance? I may have to wait beyond what I consider reasonable before the Lord acts on my behalf. If I am known to be God's servant, frustrated folk may try to wound me in place of God who they cannot touch and Who doesn't give them what they want.

What did I praise God for? - His faultless timing.

What did I pray for? - the patience to wait for the Lord to deal with my difficulty when He know the time is right.

What is this saying in one sentence? - through Elisha God made an axe-head float and warned the king of Israel where the enemy would attack; He surrounded Elisha with 'chariots of fire' and warned him of the king's intention to kill him.

Frances
Oct 4th 2008, 04:34 PM
2 Kings 7

What did I learn of God? - When He tells of His coming intervention in mankind's affairs it may seem unlikely, but will definitely happen when He says it will. Disbelief in His Word may cause disaster. He uses the most unlikely messengers, motivating them to do His Will to, maybe, save many (eg. the man who was instrumental in Billy Graham hearing the Gospel.) What He says always comes to pass.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I know the difference between God's Voice and my own thoughts? accurately enough to proclaim it knowing it will come true? Do I act on desires He instigates? Do I share the Good News with those who are secure but perishing?(all those who don't know Jesus Christ) Will I perish because I haven't fulfilled all God's conditions re. Salvation?

What did I praise God for? - His intervention in human affairs.

What did I pray for? - Opportunities to speak of, and for, my Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliisha forecast Salvation for Israel and it came to pass because lepers discovered the enemy had departed and told their countrymen. (did the Lord magnify the sound of the lepers going to the enemy camp so the Syrians heard an army?)

Note:- When a hot water bottle perishes it is still there but useless for the purpose it was created for.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "As you and I take our first hesitant steps towards sharing our faith God will already be at work in the hearts of those we approach. The God who did the impossible and fed a starving city still does the impossible, turning hard hearts to Himself in our day."

Frances
Oct 5th 2008, 05:40 PM
2 Kings 8

What did I learn of God? - He warns of trouble to come. He is Faithful to those who trust Him. He gives messages to/for those who know of Him but don't belong to Him. He knows the future of each nation. He keeps His Promises.

What did I learn of myself? - Would I be willing to leave my home for 7 years because someone, I trusted to hear from God, said there'd be a famine for that long? Would I rely on getting my property back? Do I know God personally, or just know about Him and expect Him to help me? Do I act as though sins I intend to commit are repugnant to me? or would I commit Sins that are, at present, repugnant to me if encouraged to do so if I would gain by it? A partner who does not obey the Lord would be very likely to lead me away from Him - even if other people still considered me a Christian.

What did I praise God for? - Warning His people of troubles to come.

What did I pray for? - that I will never be comfortable with any Sin in my life, and increased determination to be true to the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Shunamite woman went abroad for 7 years then had her property returned, the king of Syria was murdered and Ahab's descendants continued his Evil.

Frances
Oct 6th 2008, 04:23 PM
2 Kings 9

What did I learn of God? - He give His servants His Power and Authority together with the responsibility to only use it to fulfill His Purposes, but they can expect greater punishment if they mis-use that privilege(James 3:1). His Patience is not endless. His word is always fulfilled. He appointed Jehu to fulfill the prophecy against Ahab and his descendants.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I delegate the Lord's Work? or try to do everything myself? Do I recognise where other's have greater ability than I? do I encourage them to use their ability? or does my pride prevent me? Am I very careful that I never attribute my desires to the Lord? When I follow the Lord's directives do I do so thoroughly?

What did I praise God for? - that there is a limit to His Patience with those who do Evil.

What did I pray for? - to always be accurate when speaking of God.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehu, anointed king of Israel, kills king Joram, king Ahaziah of Judah and also Jezebel.

Frances
Oct 7th 2008, 04:20 PM
2 Kings 10

What did I learn of God? - His Word, regarding controlling Sin, may be fulfilled in horrifying ways by people whose zeal for God is motivated by self-intrest (like Jehu) and they may not constantly worship the true God. He does not forget obedience to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I zealous for the Lord? Is my worship o f Him motivated by self-interest? Will my worship of Him cease when my personal goals are reached? The true test of my commitment to the Lord's Will is when obedience to Him and my self-interest clash. Do I follow the 'state religion' even if it deviates from Biblical truth?

What did I praise God for? - Rewarding obedience to Him, even though there may be subsequent Sin.

What did I pray for? - that my zeal for God may have no self-interest, and no deviation from Biblical Truth.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehu had all Ahab's family and those who worshipped Baal killed

Quote:- (Gregory Nazianzen) "Let us not esteem worldly prosperity or adversity as things real or of any moment, but let us live elsewhere, and raise all our attention to Heaven; esteeming Sin as the only true evil, and nothing truly good but virtue which unites us to God."

Frances
Oct 8th 2008, 04:27 PM
2 Kings 11

What did I learn of God? - He will not allow His people to be totally defeated, at the right time their oppressors will be defeated and those true to Him victorious.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ever grab what does not rightfully belong to me?
Do I protect the defenseless/?or destroy them? Do I do what little good I am able, even if it seems woefully small? Am I prepared to stand up for the Lord against the prevailing spiritual climate? Can I keep a secret for many years?

What did I praise God for? though His intervention in human affairs may seem a long time coming it will surely come.-

What did I pray for? wisdom to be patient when necessary.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Ahaziah's mother (daughter of Ahab and Jezebel) had his heirs killed then reigned in his place, but Ahaziah's sister hid his infant son in the temple for 7 years - then he was proclaimed king.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "The wicked take lives in the pursuit of ambition. The Godly risk their lives for others in commitment to what is right."-

Frances
Oct 9th 2008, 04:53 PM
2 Kings 12

What did I learn of God? He motivates those in authority to make provision for what He considers necessary (though they don't always do it). -

What did I learn of myself? Am I always true to the Lord? Do I only follow Him while a strong Christian is guiding me? Have I kept the money that rightfully belongs to the Lord? Do I allow the precious things (the Truths of Scripture) to be reduced or removed to placate those who fight against the Lord and His people?-

What did I praise God for? He strongly motivates people to do His Will (though, unfortunately, doesn't force them to do it). -

What did I pray for? to have Godly mentors to encourage me to faithfully do all the Lord asks of me.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Joash was only faithful to God while Jehoida was alive (then 2 Chronicles 24: 17-18); he had money collected to repair the Temple, but the priests didn't have the work done for over 23 years; when Hazael was going to attack Jerusalem Joash sent him all the gold and sacred thhings in the Temple; Joash was killled and Amaziah became king.

Frances
Oct 10th 2008, 05:29 PM
2 Kings 13

What did I learn of God? .He does not expect immediate perfection from His people, but His Patience does have an end. He acts on heartfelt prayers for His Mercy. Even those most faithful to the Lord suffer ill-health and die. He sometimes acts against His "Laws of nature". He has Mercy even on those who disregard Him. He is Gracious and Compassionate.-

What did I learn of myself? Have I tried the Lord's Patience too far? Does He regard anything I do or say as Evil? Is my Sin responsible for another person's pain? Do I plead with the Lord for other people's Salvation/Deliverance? Do I repent (turn away from)of all my Sin? or am I just sorry about it, but think 'I'm only human' and allow those Sins to remain part of my life? Would I be happy for all I do to be recorded and known thorough out coming generations? Am I satisfied with a little victory when the Lord desires to give it abundantly? Are others spiritually revived by coming in contact with me? The Lord is Gracious and Compassionate to me. Do I continue to fight against evil in my life and the lives of others?

What did I praise God for? that He is Gracious and Compassionate.-

What did I pray for? Victory over all Sin in my life.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Jehoahaz and Jehoash reign in Israel and Elisha's anger and death.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Nestled . . . in the report of Israel crushed under Jehoahaz by the Arameans and finally resurgent as God enabled Jehoash to defeat them, the story serves as a parable for God's people. Even when all hope is lost, God is able to bring Life and Victory. How vital it is that God's people return to Him.-

Frances
Oct 11th 2008, 04:37 PM
2 Kings 14

What did I learn of God? He regards each person responsible for their own Sin. His warnings may come from our 'enemies' - those who don't heed will suffer the consequences. His Word (the Bible) only contains what He considers is essential for us to know. He may allow evil people to rule for many years, and may fulfill prophecy through them (:25 - Jonah, who was saved by the whale). -

What did I learn of myself? I am responsible for my sin against the Lord. Neither my parents nor my children are responsible for the sin I commit. Do I heed warnings that come from people I dislike. If I disregard God's warnings to me I may well suffer unpleasant consequences for many years. Am I satisfied with all the Lord gives me? Do I ensure I stay close to Him? Because the Lord uses me to Glorify Him does not necessarily mean I am a worthy person, but that He has compassion on other folk.-

What did I praise God for? His Compassion and Righteousness.-

What did I pray for? greater discernment and wisdom.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Amaziah of Judah pleased the Lord, but his foolish pride was his undoing, and he turned to other gods; and Jereboam reigning in Israel displeased the Lord.

Note:- Amos and Hosea ministered during Jereboam 2's reign and his worldly accomplishments in God's Word (by the lack of space given them) that, compared to Eternity, don't count for much.-

Frances
Oct 12th 2008, 07:14 PM
2 Kings 15

What did I learn of God? He is not satisfied when His people do less than 100% of His Will - He gives plenty of time for total obedience with no exceptions, but His Patience has an end. His Word is always fulfilled.

What did I learn of myself? Do I do everything the Lord tells me to? all the time? or is my pride in my ability my downfall? Did God say anything to my ancestor, 4 generations back, that is being fulfilled through me? Has my disobedience to God in the past contributed to my present difficulties? and the suffering of others? However disabled I may be I can have a significant part in the lives of others and God's Work, through prayer.-

What did I praise God for? His Patience and right Judgment.-

What did I pray for? Repentance concerning those times my obedience to Him has been less than perfect.-

What is this saying in one sentence? The reigns of Azariah(Uzziah) and Jothan in Judah; also Zechariah, Shallum, Manahem and Pekah in Israel.-

Frances
Oct 13th 2008, 05:21 PM
2 Kings 16

What did I learn of God? He has chosen the acceptable way for His people to worship Him, all other ways are Sin.-

What did I learn of myself? As I have God's Word available to me, am I careful to offer Him the worship He requires? ie. Do I repent everything in my life that displeases Him? Am I trusting Jesus Christ to have paid my penalty for my Sin when He died on the cross in my place? Do I trust Him to have risen to Life again? Do I trust Him to give me His Strength to live New Life with Him? Have I asked Him to fill me to overflowing with the Power of His Holy Spirit to Glorify Him? Do I encourage others to accept His Love and sacrifice for them? or do I follow the practices of those I admire regarding 'worship' that are contrary to God's Word? Do I give what rightfully belongs to God for other purposes? Do I worship other gods? do I claim to have fellowship with God while being disobedient to His Word?-

What did I praise God for? making very clear how He requires to be worshipped.-

What did I pray for? to know if anything I regard as worship of God offends Him instead.

What is this saying in one sentence? Ahaz's reign in Israel, and changing things in the Temple.-

Frances
Oct 14th 2008, 03:23 PM
2 Kings 17

What did I learn of God? He knows what each person does, both good and evil, in obedience or disobedience to Him, openly or in secret - and Judges accordingly. He reminds His people of their need to turn to Him. He is provoked to anger by repeated rejection of Him, and disobedience to Him. He ensure people have the opportunity to know Him and how He requires to be worshipped. He would have delivered His wholly obedient people from their enemies, but not those who follow other gods, or religious customs, as well as acknowledging Him.-

What did I learn of myself? Am I true to my promises? or do I try to escape my obligations by underhand means? Do I worship God as He desires/deserves? Do I worship Him alone? Am I careful to worship and serve only Almighty God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ? Do I teach others how God desires to be worshipped? -

What did I praise God for? His Patience with those of us who desire to worship and serve only Him, but sometimes unwittingly go astray.-

What did I pray for? to instantly know if I am about to leave the Lord's 'narrow way'.

What is this saying in one sentence? King Hosea of Israel and his people were relocated to Assyria and replaced by folk from Babylon, Cuthah, Ava, Hamoth and Sepharvain.-

Quote:- (William Temple) "A sentimental and hedonist generation tried to eliminate 'wrath' from its' concept of God. Of course if 'anger'' and 'wrath' are taken to mean emotional reaction of an irritated self-concern, there is no such thing in God. But if God is Holy Love, and I am in any degree given to uncleanness or selfishness, then there is, in that degree, stark antagonism in God against me."

Frances
Oct 15th 2008, 04:57 PM
2 Kings 18

What did I learn of God? - the ten Commandments He gave Moses still stand today. He is with those who do His Will and who serve only Him, and enables them to prosper. He allows those who do not keep His Covenant with them to be overcome.

What did I learn of myself? - do I do what pleases the Lord? Do I worship something that, though given by God long ago, was never meant to be worshipped. Do I trust the Lord God alone? and keep His Commandments? if so I will prosper(not necessarily financially). Do I refuse to serve all God's enemies? Is everything I do based on the firm foundation of my trust in God? If I do not obey God I may be overcome by Evil. Am I intimidated by those who don't trust the Lord? or does my faith in Him influence others? My success in any endeavor depends on my having a right-relationship with the Living God.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness.

What did I pray for? - to be always faithful to Him, including in the severest adversity.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Sennacherib attempted to intimidate Hezekiah and his people.

Frances
Oct 16th 2008, 06:12 PM
2 Kings 19

What did I learn of God? - He looks for true repentance from His people. He Judges blasphemers harshly. He made Heaven and Earth and He heeds the difficulties of those who know that fact. He will save a remnant of His people, even though all hope of it seems lost. He will defend Jerusalem for His own sake, maybe in a dramatic fashion.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I repent (turn away from) all Sin in my life? Do I trust God regardless of what disbelievers say? Do I trust the Living God to have Created Heaven and earth, as His Word says? Do I always speak Truth about those opposed to me? Do I acknowledge the Power of the Lord God over all the nations of earth? When in despair do I recall, and relate, the Lord's victories in the past, and trust Him with the future - even when it seems bleak?

What did I praise God for? - that He never forsakes His people.

What did I pray for? - that I never doubt His Faithfulness to me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Hezekiah's faith in God was rewarded in-spite of Sennacheib's boastful threats.

Frances
Oct 17th 2008, 05:09 PM
2 Kings 20

What did I learn of God? - He warns His people to be prepared to die. He may, occasionally, give physical evidence that His Word is true in answer to prayer. He knows what foolish pride will cause. He may allow someone to die to prevent future disaster.

What did I learn of myself? - Would I want God to extend my life? or am I prepared to accept that He knows best? Do I believe God's Word without physical evidence? Am I proud of my possessions? Do I boast of them - at the expense of my children's future freedom?

What did I praise God for? - His warnings.

What did I pray for? - to conquer my pride, and always pray according to His Will.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Hezekiah's life was extended 15years, then he foolishly boasted of his possessions to untrustworthy flatterers before he died.

Note:- According to Scripture Manasseh was born during Hezekiah's added years,, and became Judah's most wicked king, setting the kingdom on the way to certain destruction.

Quote (Meister Eckhart) "One step taken in surrender to God is better than a journey . . without it. Perfectly to will what God Wills, to want what He wants, is to have joy; but if one's will is not quite in unison with God's, there is no joy. May God help us to be in tune with Him."

Frances
Oct 18th 2008, 05:51 PM
2 Kings 21

What did I learn of God? - He allows evil people to be in power over His people. His Patience with those who rebel against Him has an end.

What did I learn of myself? - Does all I do and say please the Lord? What actions of mine demonstrate rebellion against God? Do I rely on God always being patient with me? or do I realise His Patience with rebellion against Him has an end? does my lifestyle lead others into Sin? Will God bring calamity on others because of my rebellion?

What did I praise God for? - His Standards never change.

What did I pray for? - to be aware of all rebellion against His rule in my life.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the reigns of Manasseh and Amon in Judah.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards)"A famous study traced the members of two New England families. One produced a long line of ministers, schoolteachers and college professors. The other produced a series of criminals and murders. In families, as in Manasseh's Judah, the lives we live can set the pattern for future generations.

Frances
Oct 20th 2008, 05:27 PM
2 Kings 23

What did I learn of God? - He requires His servants to be totally committed to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - am I totally committed to pleasing the Lord? do I make my voice heard against the evils in my society as effectively as Josiah did? eg. the modern 'sacrifice to Molech' ( where babies and young children were burned alive by their parents) is abortion, where defenceless babies are killed by their parent. Do I realise every individual is precious in God's sight - from conception to old age.

What did I praise God for? - that He has servants dedicated to Him in every generation.

What did I pray for? - to be totally dedicated to His Service, and have the wisdom to know how to be effective in His service.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Josiah's reign.

Quote:- (Fay Clayton)
"My shining feet will never run on early morning lawn; my feet were crushed before they had the chance to greet the dawn.
My fingers now will never stretch to touch the winning tape; my race was done before I learned the smallest steps to take.
My growing height will never be recorded on a wall;
my growth was stopped when I was still unseen and very small.
My lips and tongue will never taste the good fruits of the earth;
for I myself was judged to be a fruit of little worth.
My eyes will never scan the sky for my high-flying kite;
for when still blind, destroyed were they in the black womb of night.
I'll never stand upon a hill with spring's winds in my hair;
autumn winds of thought closed in on Motherhood's despair.
I'll never walk the shores of life, or know the tides of time;
for I was coming but unlived, and that my only crime.
Nameless am I, a grain of sand, one of the countless dead;
but the deed that makes me ashen grey floats on a sea of red."

Frances
Oct 21st 2008, 05:04 PM
2 Kings 24

What did I learn of God? - He may use other people to execute His Judgments.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ever rebel against the Lord in anyway? God will Judge my rebellion, and retribution will follow, when His Patience is exhausted. It is my responsibility to discover from His Word what pleases, or angers, God; ignorance of His Ways is not a valid excuse. Do I seek to please Him or to follow the crowd? Does my behaviour lead others into Sin and punishment?

What did I praise God for? - that His standards of obedience never change, so I need never be taken by surprise.

What did I pray for? - to be very aware of any behaviour of mine that displeases God.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Judah was overrun by their enemies.

2 Kings 25

Quote (Lawrenc O. Richards)
"The Babylonian Captivity seems, on the surface, a great tragedy. Yet it proved to be an unusual Blessing. In Babylon the Jews turned to the Scriptures to understand what had happened to them. They decisively rejected idolatry. . . In Babylon the synagogue system of study and prayer was instituted; a system which has kept the focus of Israel on Scripture . . .
Even in the most terrible of Judgments God remained true to His commitment to do His people good. Whatever happens to you and me we can know that God is committed to us. He loves us, and He will do us good."