PDA

View Full Version : What rights do human beings have?

arunangelo
Sep 6th 2008, 08:45 PM
What rights do human beings have?
Since God created us, we belong to Him. We, therefore, on our own do not have any right. We, however, have certain values that God instilled in us over which He gives us rights. They include: life, freedom, desire for Him and dignity. God gives us life;therefore, no one should destroy human life and human life must be protected at all stages of its existence. Protection of human life requires appropriate laws, and provision for food, shelter and health care. God gives us freedom to choose, so that we may have His peace and joy by accepting His life of unconditional love. No one should, therefore, deprive another human being of freedom. God gives us a desire to love Him and be one with Him. No one should, therefore, interfere with another person's religious life or worship. God gave us dignity by creating us in His own divine image(Genesis 1:27) ; giving us His Spirit (ability to love) (Ezekiel 36:27); and by becoming our Father (Matthew 6:9). We must, therefore, respect the dignity of every human being and treat them as our own brothers and sisters.

dispen4ever
Sep 7th 2008, 12:50 AM
Well ..... Christianity is not a religion. I'm not sure why I should respect "religion", i.e., Hinduism, Confucianism, Buddism, Witchcraft, counterfeit "Christian" groups or individuals, cults, Islam ... are these my brothers and sisters? Am I missing the point of your post?

OldChurchGuy
Sep 7th 2008, 03:58 AM
Since God created us, we belong to Him. We, therefore, on our own do not have any right. We, however, have certain values that God instilled in us over which He gives us rights. They include: life, freedom, desire for Him and dignity. God gives us life;therefore, no one should destroy human life and human life must be protected at all stages of its existence. Protection of human life requires appropriate laws, and provision for food, shelter and health care. God gives us freedom to choose, so that we may have His peace and joy by accepting His life of unconditional love. No one should, therefore, deprive another human being of freedom. God gives us a desire to love Him and be one with Him. No one should, therefore, interfere with another person's religious life or worship. God gave us dignity by creating us in His own divine image(Genesis 1:27) ; giving us His Spirit (ability to love) (Ezekiel 36:27); and by becoming our Father (Matthew 6:9). We must, therefore, respect the dignity of every human being and treat them as our own brothers and sisters.

The idea of protecting human life at all stages of existense and not destroying human life raises some questions for me. Does this mean that euthenasia is not allowed? Also, this standard regarding human life applies only to humans and not to God; correct?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Emanate
Sep 7th 2008, 04:08 AM

Adam was created in the Image of God. We are created after the image of Adam, not the "divine image of god".

Gen 5:1-3 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Emanate
Sep 7th 2008, 04:11 AM
Well ..... Christianity is not a religion. I'm not sure why I should respect "religion", i.e., Hinduism, Confucianism, Buddism, Witchcraft, counterfeit "Christian" groups or individuals, cults, Islam ... are these my brothers and sisters? Am I missing the point of your post?

Christianity is most definitley religion. You can complain about "true christianity" all you want, but to the world, you are still a christian. Religion is not the problem.

Kahtar
Sep 7th 2008, 04:34 AM
Adam was created in the Image of God. We are created after the image of Adam, not the "divine image of god".

Gen 5:1-3 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
If Adam was the image of God, and we are the image of Adam, are we not also the image of God? The above verse seems to say so.
If we disrespect another person (who is the image of God) we are disrespecting the image of God, and thus disrespecting God. If we show respect to another, we are showing respect to God.
Matthew 25:35-40 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: (36) Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. (37) Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink? (38) When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]? (39) Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? (40) And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

Emanate
Sep 7th 2008, 04:47 AM
Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
If Adam was the image of God, and we are the image of Adam, are we not also the image of God? The above verse seems to say so.
If we disrespect another person (who is the image of God) we are disrespecting the image of God, and thus disrespecting God. If we show respect to another, we are showing respect to God.
Matthew 25:35-40 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: (36) Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. (37) Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink? (38) When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]? (39) Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? (40) And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

Again, Adam (man in Hebrew) was created in the image of God. the Son of Adam (man) was created in the image of Adam. Maybe there is no difference, but it is set apart in Scripture. It would also appear to allude to something .......

apothanein kerdos
Sep 7th 2008, 06:30 AM
Again, Adam (man in Hebrew) was created in the image of God. the Son of Adam (man) was created in the image of Adam. Maybe there is no difference, but it is set apart in Scripture. It would also appear to allude to something .......

It's not set apart in Scripture. Genesis 9:6 and the book of James both refer to humans as being in the image of God.

Longsufferer
Sep 7th 2008, 12:43 PM
If we do well, and suffer for it, and take it patiently, this is that which is acceptable with God; and not if we sin, and suffer for. Again, it is thankworthy, if we suffer wrongfully, while we have our conscience toward God. And again, if we suffer for the cause of right, we are blessed. These such things are not only for the outward visible suffering for the cause of right; but much more inwardly, that is, if we are sincere toward God in our suffering, then it is counted for righteousness. For if (for example) someone takes away my goods, and I do not ask for them back; and yet outwardly receive sympathy from men, but inwardly I am bitter that my goods were not returned, and resent that person; then this is not counted to me for righteousness, because I am insincere toward God, though outwardly in the sight of men I appear noble for upholding what Christ tells us to do. And especially if were to feel noble because others looked upon me as honorable, though I know inwardly I despise. A great part of Christianity is that we give up our rights, and take the wrong, but it is only counted for righteousness when we are sincere. We know, and ought not to forget, that there is no mocking of God, and that we will obtain and achieve only that which we have planted. We may plant obedience, yet if it be without a pure(ie: sincere) heart, our outward noble gesture is of none effect with Him whom we shall give account to. As for this world, I do not put my trust and hope in man, but in God; for this cause I will not fear what man may do to me.
(I Peter.2:19,20 & 3:14)
(Mark.15:30)

ServantofTruth
Sep 7th 2008, 09:23 PM
Christianity is most definitley religion. You can complain about "true christianity" all you want, but to the world, you are still a christian. Religion is not the problem.

The word religion comes from the latin word 'religare' which means to bind. Jesus Christ sets an individual free.

Yes to unbelievers Christianity is just another religion. But between believers, who know there is only one Creator and one Son Jesus Christ - there is one way - or hell.

Perhaps between ourselves we should get use to not calling our faith or hope in Jesus Christ a religion? SofTy.

dispen4ever
Sep 7th 2008, 09:39 PM
Christianity is NOT a religion by definition. A religion is an organized system of beliefs, rules, regulations, protocols, with a defined hierarchy of human beings calling the shots. Roman Catholicism is an example of religion. Islam is an example of religion. Christianity is none of the above.

Christianity is faith in Jesus, the Christ. It is a personal relationship with Him, not with a system.

:-)

apothanein kerdos
Sep 7th 2008, 10:08 PM
Christianity is NOT a religion by definition. A religion is an organized system of beliefs, rules, regulations, protocols, with a defined hierarchy of human beings calling the shots. Roman Catholicism is an example of religion. Islam is an example of religion. Christianity is none of the above.

Christianity is faith in Jesus, the Christ. It is a personal relationship with Him, not with a system.

Christianity has:

* An organized set of beleifs

* Rules

* Regulations

* An authoritarian hierarchy

I guess this means it's a religion. In all appropriateness, it is partly religion, but also has relational aspects (as do other religions).

seamus414
Sep 7th 2008, 10:18 PM
The idea of protecting human life at all stages of existense and not destroying human life raises some questions for me. Does this mean that euthenasia is not allowed? Also, this standard regarding human life applies only to humans and not to God; correct?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

If following Christian teaching, then euthenasia is never permitted.

Sold Out
Sep 7th 2008, 10:28 PM
Since God created us, we belong to Him. We, therefore, on our own do not have any right. We, however, have certain values that God instilled in us over which He gives us rights. They include: life, freedom, desire for Him and dignity. God gives us life;therefore, no one should destroy human life and human life must be protected at all stages of its existence. Protection of human life requires appropriate laws, and provision for food, shelter and health care. God gives us freedom to choose, so that we may have His peace and joy by accepting His life of unconditional love. No one should, therefore, deprive another human being of freedom. God gives us a desire to love Him and be one with Him. No one should, therefore, interfere with another person's religious life or worship.

This makes me think of our Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Our founding fathers made sure we had the freedoms to choose - including religious freedom. With that freedom also comes the responsibility of Christians to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with a lost and dying world.

DIZZY
Sep 7th 2008, 10:35 PM

Yes Adam's sons were made in the image of Adam but they also contained the spirit of God, so are they not also made in God's image.

Genesis 9:6 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=9&verse=6&version=50&context=verse)
ď Whoever sheds manís blood,By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man.

It is a sin to take a life, for taking a life God will require your life, even if that life is still in the womb. It is our sin nature that is made in the image of Adam. That is why Jesus calls us to be Born Again, for we can not enter the eternal kingdom with our sin nature we have to be changed. We can not do this ourselves it has to be done by God and the blood of Jesus Christ. Then once again we will be able to say we are made in the image of God.

DIZZY
Sep 7th 2008, 10:43 PM

You a quite right in assuming that euthenasia is not permitted. Euthenasia is murder and no one has the right to take a mans life. We are not to play God, for it is God's choice alone who lives and who dies.

Emanate
Sep 8th 2008, 01:45 AM
You a quite right in assuming that euthenasia is not permitted. Euthenasia is murder and no one has the right to take a mans life. We are not to play God, for it is God's choice alone who lives and who dies.

Then are we supposed to administer medicines or physical treatment to the sick? Do we not take the inured to seek medical treatment? This is no less "playing God" than euthenasia. Do we have the audacity to seek healthcare when it is God's choice if we live or die?

OldChurchGuy
Sep 8th 2008, 11:32 AM

Thank you for taking time to answer the first question. What of the second question which was "this standard regarding human life applies only to humans and not to God; correct?"

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Rufus_1611
Sep 8th 2008, 02:59 PM

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." - James 1:27

tt1106
Sep 8th 2008, 04:04 PM
You have the right to suffer for your faith. You have the right to be persecuted for your faith. You have the right to watch others receive what may rightfully be yours. You have the right to never achieve fame or riches. You have the right to never have your name known outside of your own community. In the end through the grace of your savior you may be given life eternal in the presence of the God who created you.
That is sufficient.
I walked through the dark for decades without knowing this. I am happy now to not expect anything.

dispen4ever
Sep 8th 2008, 06:03 PM
"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." - James 1:27

Read James 1:1. To whom was he writing? Judaism was in fact a religion with an organized system of beliefs, rules, regulations, protocols, with a defined hierarchy of human beings calling the shots. Roman Catholicism is an example of religion. Islam is an example of religion. Judaism is a religion. Christianity is none of the above.

RoadWarrior
Sep 8th 2008, 09:59 PM

Jn 1:12-13
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
NKJV

coldfire136
Sep 8th 2008, 10:13 PM
Since God created us, we belong to Him. We, therefore, on our own do not have any right. We, however, have certain values that God instilled in us over which He gives us rights. They include: life, freedom, desire for Him and dignity.

First you suggest that we have no rights then you suggest that we have rights instilled by God. You can't have it both ways. Either we have rights or we do not.

I would ask firstly for a definition of freedom. What do you mean when you say freedom? Are you talking about free will?

Dignity is another word I would ask you to define for the purposes of this discussion. What do you mean by a right to dignity?

What tradition within church history or within the scriptures do you take from to make the list you just made about our lists of rights? In other words, what have they do to with Christianity?

apothanein kerdos
Sep 8th 2008, 10:52 PM
Read James 1:1. To whom was he writing? Judaism was in fact a religion with an organized system of beliefs, rules, regulations, protocols, with a defined hierarchy of human beings calling the shots. Roman Catholicism is an example of religion. Islam is an example of religion. Judaism is a religion. Christianity is none of the above.

Christianity has:

1) A belief system

2) Rules

3) Regulations

4) Hierarchy of authority

Christianity IS a religion.

dispen4ever
Sep 9th 2008, 12:35 AM
He describes the conflict with secular humanism as a battle in which "these two religions, Christianity and humanism, stand over against each other as totalities."

The fact that Schaeffer wrote that doesn't make it true.

Where do you fellowship? Presbyterian?

apothanein kerdos
Sep 9th 2008, 12:44 AM
Did Schaeffer write that?

Where do you fellowship? Denomination?

:lol:

Yes...and no.

I think earlier I wrote something (or at least intended to) about how Christianity is unique in its relational aspect. Schaeffer did bring this up. He argued in True Spirituality and a few other books that Christianity does have rules, does have beliefs, does have a system, does have a hierarchy of authority (but not of importance, No Little People). At the same time, it's more than those, but it does contain those. It cannot be defined by these things, but they must be included in its definition.

As for my denomination...I really don't line up with one. I generally fit into the Southern Baptist and conservative Presbyterian field. I would say I lean toward a Presbyterian belief.

Hence the "Schaefferite" term below my name - my beliefs line up closely with Schaeffer's.

The Parson
Sep 9th 2008, 01:20 AM
I hope this isn't taken wrong but we need to stop using the worlds definition of religion and start practicing God's. Big difference there... James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Just a drive by bible-ing folks... :D

Rufus_1611
Sep 9th 2008, 12:34 PM

"My brethren"... James 1:2

"Do not err, my beloved brethren." - James 1:16

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren,..." - James 1:19

"If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." - James 1:26-27

dispen4ever
Sep 9th 2008, 05:40 PM
Again, Parson, and Rufus, read James 1:1. To whom was he writing? Judaism was in fact a religion with an organized system of beliefs, rules, regulations, protocols, with a defined hierarchy of human beings calling the shots. Roman Catholicism is an example of religion. Islam is an example of religion. Judaism is a religion. Christianity is none of the above.

The Parson
Sep 9th 2008, 05:56 PM
Again dispen, I was talking about what the "word" religion really means in it's purest form. Not trying to detract from what was being said but too often the term is drug into the ground when it shouldn't in lue of the real meaning.

It's like the word doctrine. Man snarles his lip at the word when it actually really means "teachings". Get my meaning???

dispen4ever
Sep 9th 2008, 05:57 PM
:idea: Brethren: from an unused word; father: - ancestors (1), family *(1), father (571), Father (8), father’s (137), fathers (333), fathers’ (120), fathers’ households (1), forefather (1), forefathers (27), grandfather (1), grandfathers (1), households (5), Huram-abi *(2), sons (1).

James shows no trace of the larger revelations concerning the church and the distinctive doctrines of grace made through the Apostle Paul, nor even of the discussion concerning the relation of Gentile converts to the law of Moses, which culminated in the first council (Acts 15), over which James presided. His message is directed, therefore, to Jews, primarily Jewish Christians, being loaded with Jewish concepts.

The church began with such Acts 2:5-11 and James, who seems not to have left Jerusalem, would feel a particular pastoral responsibility for these scattered sheep. They still resorted to the synagogues, or called their own assemblies by that name (James 2:2 where "assembly" is "synagogue" in the Greek.) In James 2:1-8 they were still holding the synagogue courts for the trial of causes arising amongst themselves. Neither Galatians nor Romans had been written at this point(!), therefore it could not possibly have been written as a challenge to Paul's doctrine of justification by grace through faith alone. The theme of James is "religion" (threskeia), a system of organized beliefs designed to PROVE faith through organized belief, ala the RC today. His style is said to be that of the OT "Wisdom" books.

dispen4ever
Sep 9th 2008, 06:04 PM
Religion = teachings? It can mean that, of course.

However, our personal relationship is with Jesus, the Christ, not with an organized system of beliefs; not with a structure; not with a system. If WE point to the teachings of Jesus as "religion", we've missed the point. He came to TEACH the lost sheep of the House of Israel. He TAUGHT His apostles/disciples NOT to go the way of the Gentiles. His TEACHING in the Sermon on the Mount was directed to His apostles/disciples, the 12, and later, the 70. See also the Olivet Discourse.

RoadWarrior
Sep 9th 2008, 06:25 PM
Religion = teachings? It can mean that, of course.

However, our personal relationship is with Jesus, the Christ, not with an organized system of beliefs; not with a structure; not with a system. If WE point to the teachings of Jesus as "religion", we've missed the point. He came to TEACH the lost sheep of the House of Israel. He TAUGHT His apostles/disciples NOT to go the way of the Gentiles. His TEACHING in the Sermon on the Mount was directed to His apostles/disciples, the 12, and later, the 70. See also the Olivet Discourse.

Hi dispen,

I agree with you ... the individual like you and me, will see our faith as a relationship. The outside world however, sees Christianity as a religion. And in much of organized Christianity, it is that ... sadly enough.

So keep teaching what you are teaching - true Christianity is a relationship with a Person and not a set of rules and regulations.

:hug:

Rufus_1611
Sep 9th 2008, 08:11 PM
Again, Parson, and Rufus, read James 1:1. To whom was he writing? Judaism was in fact a religion with an organized system of beliefs, rules, regulations, protocols, with a defined hierarchy of human beings calling the shots. Roman Catholicism is an example of religion. Islam is an example of religion. Judaism is a religion. Christianity is none of the above.

Christianity is faith in Jesus, the Christ. It is a personal relationship with Him, not with a system. I did read James 1:1, I even read the whole chapter (and would encourage you to do likewise). James was a Christian writing to his Christian brethren about pure religion.

Rufus_1611
Sep 9th 2008, 08:19 PM
RELIGION, n. relij'on. [L. religio, from religo, to bind anew; re and ligo, to bind. This word seems originally to have signified an oath or vow to the gods, or the obligation of such an oath or vow, which was held very sacred by the Romans.]

1. Religion, in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man's obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man's accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. It therefore comprehends theology, as a system of doctrines or principles, as well as practical piety; for the practice of moral duties without a belief in a divine lawgiver, and without reference to his will or commands, is not religion.
2. Religion, as distinct from theology, is godliness or real piety in practice, consisting in the performance of all known duties to God and our fellow men, in obedience to divine command, or from love to God and his law. James 1.
3. Religion, as distinct from virtue, or morality, consists in the performance of the duties we owe directly to God, from a principle of obedience to his will. Hence we often speak of religion and virtue, as different branches of one system, or the duties of the first and second tables of the law.
Let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. (Source: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,religion)

Rufus_1611
Sep 9th 2008, 08:22 PM
Refrain

íTis the old time religion,
[or Give me that old time religion]
And itís good enough for me.

It was good for our mothers.

Refrain

Makes me love everybody.
Makes me love everybody.
Makes me love everybody.

Refrain

It has saved our fathers.

Refrain

It will do when I am dying.

Refrain

It will take us all to heaven.

Refrain

(Source: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/l/oldtimer.htm)

Emanate
Sep 9th 2008, 08:46 PM
I did read James 1:1, I even read the whole chapter (and would encourage you to do likewise). James was a Christian writing to his Christian brethren about pure religion.

Rufus,

Remember religion is a dirty word to many in Christendom. Instead of being concerned about "pure religion," they want to ban the word 'religion' altogether. Fact of the matter is Christianity is a religion defined by creeds and practices. It is not a bad thing. Being a Christian will not save anyone (true christianity or not). Only Messiah Jesus provides our salvation and it is ok that He was not a Christian, and He will return as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah (not christianity).

dispen4ever
Sep 10th 2008, 01:15 AM
A familiar saying in the USA is "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Posts 34 thru 36 might be cited as "If anything can be misunderstood and distorted, it will be." Sad posts, indeed.

...............and with that, I hope they close this thread. Too much disinformation being read by babes in Christ, those seeking to know God's Truth. Too much stuff coming from the flesh, not the spirit.

Selah! Amen!

:cry: :pray:

apothanein kerdos
Sep 10th 2008, 01:35 AM
Dispen, the problem I have with the "Christianity is not a religion" belief is that it's too similar to Derrida's "religion without a religion."

For instance, does one have to believe Jesus Christ is God incarnate, the Son of the Living God, that He died and rose for our sins in order to be saved? Of course. One cannot say, "I accept Jesus, but I don't accept that He actually rose from the dead or was God." That would mean the person isn't saved. This, by definition, is a code of beliefs that one must accept in order to enter into a relationship. It is a religion at that point.

I fear we will go the way of Derrida and have a "religion without a religion" where it doesn't matter what you believe; it matters what you do. In this scenario, anyone and everyone goes to heaven so long as they protect justice. It's religious deconstructionism and it's dangerous.

Rufus_1611
Sep 10th 2008, 02:23 AM
A familiar saying in the USA is "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Posts 34 thru 36 might be cited as "If anything can be misunderstood and distorted, it will be." Sad posts, indeed.

...............and with that, I hope they close this thread. Too much disinformation being read by babes in Christ, those seeking to know God's Truth. Too much stuff coming from the flesh, not the spirit.

Selah! Amen!

:cry: :pray: Post 38 was epic! :hug:

Edit: I just remembered what Post 38 (and similar posts reminded me of).

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

You know, I said John Lennon was a dreamer but it turns out he's not the only one.