PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

Kat63
Sep 8th 2008, 02:13 AM
I attend church pretty regularly. I love going to church. I feel safe there. I believe in God. I have a problem trusting him. There were some bad things in my past that I begged God to take away, or take me away from, and he didn't. When I needed him I was left all alone. I trust no one. How can I trust him?

livingwaters
Sep 8th 2008, 02:44 AM
Well, Kat63, I used to feel that way at times. See I was sexually abused and I prayed, and prayed....for about 13 yrs, I guess.....So, I got married at 15 yrs. old. In a way, that was my answer from God....He got me out of that situation....And now, I know, after reading "footprints," that God was right by my side all of the time, carrying me. One thing about the abuse, God never let it get to penetration. I do feel relieved about that. I dealt with this issue for a long time...It caused me grief, even after it was over. But, the Lord has set me free and even showed me how to forgive that person!!Alleluia:)

So, don't give up....don't stop praying, HE is listening...God is right by you....Why we go through some things, I'm not sure....but, being a Christian, I know I'll be able to ask the Lord face-to-face one day.....But, you know what~~~I'll be so happy to see my LORD and SAVIOR, that I won't be thinking about the trials I went through in this miserable world of evil....Just know, that the only way you will get your answers from God, is by accepting Jesus as your LORD and Savior....

Please ask here if you're not sure about it. But, remember, God is not man...HE LOVES us unconditionally!!!!Amen.

God Bless You.:hug:

Slug1
Sep 8th 2008, 02:48 AM
I attend church pretty regularly. I love going to church. I feel safe there. I believe in God. I have a problem trusting him. There were some bad things in my past that I begged God to take away, or take me away from, and he didn't. When I needed him I was left all alone. I trust no one. How can I trust him?Do you at all feel that the tribulations you went through was to develop you? I know all the problems I had in life God is now using to help others as once I fully surrendered to God, He lifted me back up.

Now I trust God fully and when I find myself in another tribulation (period of pruning) I praise Him as I learn from the problems and then allow God to use me more to help others.

Praise God, don't complain when the going is tough.

FaithfulSheep
Sep 8th 2008, 02:55 AM
If you have not, you should read Daniel chapter 3 about Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego and the fiery furnace. As they say, the Lord is able to deliver them from their circumstances, but as you learn from reading, He does not always do so. Although it may be hard to fathom at this time, there is a reason you are going through this stage of your life. Just becaused He didn't take away your problem doesn't mean He left you alone. He is there during the hard times and the bad times, we just have to place our faith and trust in Him. The Lord was there beside you every step of the way and is still there. Call out to Him.

CoffeeCat
Sep 8th 2008, 03:14 AM
Heya, Kat. :hug:

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry you've gone through some rough stuff, and that you've felt alone in the middle of it all. God doesn't always take away our problems, Sometimes, He lets us keep those things in our life, hard as they are, that might make us stronger one day. You aren't alone, and never have been. God's there. You can call out to Him any time... if you want that closeness with God, that trust, a loving relationship, now's the time to have a talk with Christ. Invite Him into your heart. Repent, turn around, and begin to follow Him. Following Christ means you can leave the loneliness, the feeling of being overwhelmed and all by yourself... because Christ will be with you. He's the way we've got, to come to God. Ask Him to lead you and guide you, through ALL times -- the good and the bad. He will. He ALWAYS carries us and loves us through the worst and the best. And He loves you, and wants you to come to Him.

I'll be praying for you. :)

BroRog
Sep 8th 2008, 03:23 AM
I attend church pretty regularly. I love going to church. I feel safe there. I believe in God. I have a problem trusting him. There were some bad things in my past that I begged God to take away, or take me away from, and he didn't. When I needed him I was left all alone. I trust no one. How can I trust him?

This may sound silly so take it for what it's worth. You need to do three things.

1. If you don't have a Bible, buy one. Get a pen or a pencil and underline all the passages that speak about God's faithfulness and trust. If you don't believe what you read, that is fine. It's ok. In fact, the important thing is to stay true and honest at all times. Take the verses to God in prayer, and say, "Hey, you said this in your word. What about it?"

2. Sit down with a piece of paper. Draw a line down the middle. On one side list all the times that God failed you. On the other side, list all the ways in which he blessed you. Be honest on both sides. Believe me, God would rather deal with an honest person than a holy person.

3. Finally, confront people in your church. Get in their face and ask, "I want to hear your testimony. What has God done for you? Don't let them shine you on, or speak in platitudes. Nail them down specifically. If you aren't satisfied with the answers, go find another church and do the same thing. Keep at it until you get what you are looking for. What you are looking for is honesty, and humility. Keep it real. Keep it true. And really listen to those who are real and true. Once you find a person or persons like this, then ask them, "what did you do to get this far?"

Kat63
Sep 8th 2008, 05:38 AM
I've seen a few people baptized and then I continue to watch them to see if I see anything different about them. So far, I can't really tell that anything is any different about them. So why would anything be different for me?

Slug1
Sep 8th 2008, 11:15 AM
I've seen a few people baptized and then I continue to watch them to see if I see anything different about them. So far, I can't really tell that anything is any different about them. So why would anything be different for me?Because faith and quality of faith are two different things. How is the quality of your faith?

Kat63
Sep 8th 2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know. I know there is a God. I think he chooses who he wants and the rest of us are left to struggle along. I hope that doesn't sound bitter. I really don't mean it to be. I just know I've read in the Bible that he's said: I will have mercy on whom I have mercy and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.

Buck shot
Sep 8th 2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know. I know there is a God. I think he chooses who he wants and the rest of us are left to struggle along. I hope that doesn't sound bitter. I really don't mean it to be. I just know I've read in the Bible that he's said: I will have mercy on whom I have mercy and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.

You are right, it says that. It also says...

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

God knows everyone's future. He knows who to choose because He knows who will choose Him. He sent Jesus to die for all who will lay down their life to follow Him. If we choose to continue serving ourself instead of Him, why would we expect Him to show mercy or compassion on us?

Buck shot
Sep 8th 2008, 06:09 PM
When I needed him I was left all alone. I trust no one. How can I trust him?

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

If you were saved He could never leave you. Sometimes we still feel abandoned but we really are not. It's kindof like teaching a kid to ride a bike. You do not want to see them fall but you know you have to let them so that they can learn. We go thru many tribulations in life that are to help us grow and learn. The problems we go through are what makes us who we are. If you continue without the Lord as your guide, you will never know the peace that comes from understanding this...

...and you will never have someone that you can trust 100% of the time.

Tanya~
Sep 8th 2008, 06:09 PM

Heb 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
NKJV

On whom does the Lord have mercy and compassion? How would you know that you aren't chosen? I think it is unfruitful to try to know what only God knows. It is better to focus on what He calls us to do, and do that. Seek Him! You will be rewarded if you do.

Jer 29:11-13
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
NKJV

Sold Out
Sep 9th 2008, 12:08 AM

Kat...God would not be good if He just picked and chose who He wanted. He lets US chose, because in order to have an honest relationship of love, we have to chose Him of our own freewill. Otherwise we are just puppets. I suspect that you question the goodness of God.

What you read (about mercy) from Romans 9 is Paul explaining that God is righteous, even though He just punish the unrighteous (unsaved). Punishing the unrighteous does not make God unrighteous. It makes Him a fair judge.

I had a lot of bad things happen to me as a child & as a teenager. I asked God to deliver me from those situations...but He didn't. I didn't understand why a loving God would allow me to go thru what I did, but now I do. I know that I would not be the person I am today had I not gone thru them. Not only that, I can be a testimony to someone else who's had similar experiences and needs to know that God has always loved them.

God loves you and is worthy of your trust. The kind of trust I'm talking about is with your soul. When Jesus went to the cross, He took the sins of the whole world (past, present,future)...even the sins of those that weren't even born yet...and He suffered your punishment in your place. He took the punishment we deserve so we would not have to pay the penalty for our sins. Romans 5:8 says that God PROVED His love for us by Jesus dying on the cross! He's already proved how much He loves you! Now you must trust....you must take your eternal soul and put it in Jesus' care. You have to reach out and take the gift that Jesus has offered you, and trust Him to save you and take you to heaven when you die. It is the ultimate act of trust! Just pray and admit to God that you are a sinner headed to hell, and you need a Savior. Ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and give you a new heart.

Slug1
Sep 9th 2008, 03:10 AM

I've seen a few people baptized and then I continue to watch them to see if I see anything different about them. So far, I can't really tell that anything is any different about them. So why would anything be different for me?Hey Kat, as I reread this I had a thought. Something kinda hit me while reading a book about King David... When you were praying for God to change everything in your life (take it all away), did you ever feel that instead of changing everything around you that He wanted to change you instead?

How can you be a better Christian if when life is tough and you pray for God to take it away... how will this make you grow? Imagine a child alway getting everything they want from their parents, never given advice to help themselves, or worse (and kinda like I feel this is you) never listen to their parents and just do it their own way... what do they grow up to be?

Trust begins with trusting that everything that God has put you through OR allowed you to put yourself through cause you weren't listening to Him is for a purpose, a purpose which is usually "to grow". Instead of not trusting God, praise Him and surrender to Him so He can lift you up and show you the way out.

Kat63
Sep 9th 2008, 12:52 PM
Thank you all for your responses. It's a lot to think about.
Trusting is very hard for me. I see a counselor about the "bad things" that happened. It has taken me well over a year to trust her enough to talk about it. A friend, who is a Christian, tells me that I try to be the one in control of everything in my life instead of giving over control to God. I know that's mostly true. But it seems that the times I've tried to let God be in control other bad things happen -- so I take it back.

ServantofTruth
Sep 9th 2008, 01:05 PM
Just a quick thought about those baptised people you have been looking at and seeing little difference, externally. As we read about all the great Spirit led servants of God in the bible, we see they each had many flaws as well.

Some spoke for God, some engadged in war for God, some healed.....but all were flawed human beings, except when the Spirit moved them, in the area of their life, that God used them. I guess you or I, if we'd known them at the time would have seen those flaws.

Baptism is a begining, not the end. Love SofTy. :saint:

faroutinmt
Sep 9th 2008, 01:37 PM
I can relate to what you are saying. I have been confused about why God has allowed or not allowed certain things to happen. God used the book of Job to open my eyes to the fact that, though I did not understand, and though there was no explanation, God was good no matter what.

I also call to mind that I have broken His laws by not loving Him or my neighbor too many times to count. I have spoken hurtful words, had hurtful thoughts, and defied God by making my own rules about what was right and wrong. God could have let me go my own way or allowed me to die and suffer the eternal punishment I deserve a long time ago.

But, instead, He has been patient with me, merciful, gracious. He sent Jesus Christ to die for my sins and for yours. He does not owe us our next breath.

Faith involves believing that God is good when our own perception of circumstances tell us differently. God loves you and the cross is proof of that. :)

Kat63
Sep 9th 2008, 04:49 PM
I guess I was expecting the ones I watch to stop doing some of the things I know they still do. But there are others I watch that have "something" and no matter where they are when I see them, I see that "something" in them. I want that.

Buck shot
Sep 10th 2008, 05:14 PM
I guess I was expecting the ones I watch to stop doing some of the things I know they still do. But there are others I watch that have "something" and no matter where they are when I see them, I see that "something" in them. I want that.

I find it very easy not to judge the unsaved but quite a bit harder to not judge the ones who claim to be saved :B

When i gave my life to the Lord as a boy, I served him until my late teen age years. Then I decided i wanted to go my way. It seemed like it would be more fun and easier. Man was i wrong... for the next 5 years i messed up so much of my life that i pretty much thought i could never be used by God.

Finally i realized that He gave us guidelines so that our lives would be better! Many folks that get saved choose to turn around and walk in the world instead of the Light of God. It looks easier to just live how we always lived. Without ever understanding the love, joy, and peace that would come upon their lives if they would just follow Him.

It took me years after i was saved to understand that i was going to remain a babe in Christ until i started learning to walk in His steps. :)

The ones that you see the differance in are the ones that are born again and are also actively choosing to follow after God. He blesses them because of it with a peace in their heart that surpasses normal understanding :pp

Kat63
Sep 11th 2008, 02:58 PM
When I was about 8 or 9, my best friend got "saved". She became like a totally different person. I asked her what happened and she said Jesus "rescued" her. No one knew the hell I was going through at home, but rescue sounded like what I needed. I walked the aisle, I talked to the preacher, but nothing changed for me. I was not rescued or saved. The preacher at my church now says I won't understand until I totally surrender everything to Christ. This may sound dumb, and I was afraid to tell him, but I'm not sure exactly what that means, I never have understood that.

renthead188
Sep 11th 2008, 03:46 PM
When I was about 8 or 9, my best friend got "saved". She became like a totally different person. I asked her what happened and she said Jesus "rescued" her. No one knew the hell I was going through at home, but rescue sounded like what I needed. I walked the aisle, I talked to the preacher, but nothing changed for me. I was not rescued or saved. The preacher at my church now says I won't understand until I totally surrender everything to Christ. This may sound dumb, and I was afraid to tell him, but I'm not sure exactly what that means, I never have understood that.

I've been watching this thread, maybe it would help if I put it this way...

You walked down the aisle to the Preacher....

You need to walk down the aisle to Christ.

You spoke to the Preacher.

You need to speak to Christ.

Nothing changed.

Everything will.

It's not about walking down aisles or speaking to preachers, but it's about taking a step in faith towards our Lord. It's about admitting that we've messed it all up and that we NEED Him. Repeat... that we've messed it ALL up and that we NEED HIM. That's when He will rescue you. The moment that you step out in faith, He will come running for you.

I don't know if you've ever read Scripture before, but I would like to ask you to read Luke 15:11-32.

What can you learn about our Lord from reading this parable?

love
Christopher

kayte
Sep 11th 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Kat63. Welcome to the board. :)

Your question doesn't sound dumb at all. What does totally surrendering everything to Jesus mean? What does it really look like in 'fact' and not just nice (although hard) words?

For me the surrender was a matter of throwing myself on His mercy and clinging to Him to make sense and use of my life. I thought I had 'surrendered all', but I learned very differently. What I had done was to lay myself before Him in willingness to be changed. I was willing. I'm still willing. And to this day (26 years later) He is still changing me. He is still calling me to total surrender.

There's an old song that goes:

All to Jesus I surrender
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In his presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken,
Take me Jesus, take me now.

I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be honest, I can't sing that song the way it's written. I know the truth about me. I know that I am willing to surrender all, but I also know that each time I've thought I've done that, He points out something new that I didn't even recognize and says "Now let me have 'this'." It is a life long surrendering process that begins with the willingness to surrender all. (And I admit that sometimes when He points out things I need to surrender - turn over to Him and let Him change - I don't want to. I'm not immediately willing and it is a struggle to get to that place of willingness.)

The Bible talks about abiding in Christ (living 'attached'). We know that apart from Christ, there is no life (real life, abundant life, spiritual life.) We cut down an elm tree in our yard a few years back and a log from a branch got left out when we put the wood in the storage shed. I happened by it one day and saw this piece of wood, attached to nothing, laying there sprouting leaves. It didn't know it was dead! It was such a picture of the human condition to me. Unless we're attached to Christ (abiding in Him), we're dead... and most often we don't even know it. But we do know when we've surrendered and are abiding in Him that we are 'alive' in a whole new way.

On the matter of trusting Him, I can really relate to that. We don't understand all the why's of things. Why He allowed this or that to happen to us.

Did you see the movie The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe? Or read the book? There's a part in that I like very much...

My favorite line is at the end of the movie as Aslan walks away. The youngest child, Lucy can't understand where he is going or why he is going away. Mr. Thomnas explains that Aslan can't always be understood.

"He is not a tame lion" Thomnas says.

"No," replies Lucy, "but he's good."

Simple, forthright, and intensely theological.

God is not tame. He doesn't always 'behave' the way we want. But no matter what happens, we can always, always know that He is good. That makes us able to trust Him and praise Him through the circumstances of our lives.

Have you heard the songs Held by Natalie Grant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwIYzp8Sok) and Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEacEP4spG4)?

Buck shot
Sep 11th 2008, 06:52 PM

Kat, this is the point that many have came before you. We, none of us, could truly understand until we did it. It's kindof like a caterpillar. If it never became a butterfly it would not be able to understand what it missed.

But in the same light, Jesus tells us to count the cost. To truly surrender to Him you will have to give up some of the things you think you like. You could lose some of the folks that you consider friends when you start to stand up for Jesus.

When you decide that you are ready to give up whatever God would have you to give up, then you will have surrendered all and have Jesus as the Lord of your life... and you get your wings!:)

Many walk the eisles and talk to the preacher but never really made a life commitment to Christ. These are the ones who will probably stand before Christ and say, "I did this, and I did that..." and Jesus will answer "depart from me, I never knew you" :cry:

BattleStance
Sep 11th 2008, 11:43 PM

I have asked God why a whole lot, why did you allow me to be abused, why are you allowing me to keep falling to lust, why am I so angry, why do I continue to fail.

I use to think God wasnt there, I even threw my hands up and was like watever with this life, but I found out that God has always been there, because Im still alive.
I remember being suicidal and cutting my arm, and I know God was in the mist even though it didnt seem like it because Im still alive.

Realize that this is a continuos battle, the devil doesnt want you to live for God, so obviously he's not gonna sit there and let you just live free, he's going to attack you.

Dont think for a min that I havent been mad at God for what I have went though and still go through, when I fall I have to get back up, when things get rough Im learning to run too God for help and not look in myself for help.

So many people have hurt me, people that I have allowed into my heart, Im starting to realize that I have to go through these things to reach a certain type of people that are in the world so that they can come to God.

Dont give up on God, he's there, remember to pray not from emotion but from your heart, if it seems like you cant pray, just pray for 5 mins and build up to praying longer. even if your just reading a verse in the bible, wrap yourself in God so that all wordly influence wont get on you in your trails.

Love ya in the lord, just remember I go through battles everyday, and I have asked God why, why? because he's making us into the thing we have been predestined to be.

Kat63
Sep 12th 2008, 02:16 AM
I have read that parable in Luke a few times. It makes me think that the father had to take the son back because he was his son. But if the boy never was his son would the father have been so willing to take him back?

I've tried to get as close to death as I possibly could without actually dying more times then I would really care to admit. I guess I want to know for myself what is there before I make any commitments. And, there are some things that I don't want to give up. I don't understand why it has to be all or nothing.

RoadWarrior
Sep 12th 2008, 05:08 AM
... And, there are some things that I don't want to give up. I don't understand why it has to be all or nothing.

Hi Kat,

Thank you for coming here to ask your questions. I am sure that many will give you better answers overall than I can give. I will respond to this one question that you have.

All or nothing - it is really about two different directions. If you want to go to New York from Texas, you can't get there by going 200 miles toward New York, then 400 miles toward California.

It is a choice about an end goal. You have to choose if you want God's way, or Satan's way. Toward God is freedom and healing and love and eternal life. Toward Satan is bondage and sickness and hatred and eternal death. By not choosing God, you will meander back and forth in the direction of the latter.

The things that are hard to give up, will become less attractive and desirable to you as you seriously turn toward God and with intent begin to move in His direction.

Kat63
Sep 15th 2008, 11:25 PM
Thank you for all your responses. I'm sorry I have not responded to each of you individually, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to. I'm still very new at this forum thing.
I was wondering: if someone who is not a christian prays for something or someone else, would God hear and answer that prayer? Or does he only hear and answer once you become a christian?
I'm sorry if that has already been asked and answered before.

Tanya~
Sep 15th 2008, 11:37 PM
Thank you for all your responses. I'm sorry I have not responded to each of you individually, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to. I'm still very new at this forum thing.

It's up to you whether you want to respond or not. :hug: We love to get your responses to our replies. If you need assistance with how to work the forum controls, just ask and we will try to help as best we can.

I was wondering: if someone who is not a christian prays for something or someone else, would God hear and answer that prayer? Or does he only hear and answer once you become a christian?

The Bible teaches that to have access to God, we must go through Jesus Christ. So if you are not a believer in Christ, then you do not have that access to God. Sin separates us from God, and we need faith in Jesus to have forgiveness of sin. This brings us near to God and gives us the right to become His children. As children we can approach the Father with our prayers. That is not to say that it is not possible for a nonChristian to have prayers answered though. It's possible. But it is not a right of a nonbeliever.

If you need prayer for something, you can go to the prayer forum and submit a prayer request. It's located here:
http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28

We will consider it a privilege to pray for your need and intercede for you or your loved one even if you are not a Christian. :)

ilovemetal
Sep 16th 2008, 01:36 AM
hey, i'm a bit late but i thought i'd throw in.

basically, Kat, i don't know your age, but it took me 25 years (i'm 25) to figure out what it meant to 'give God everything'. in the end it wasn't hard, all i had to do was leave my sinful life behind. don't get me wrong, i still sin alot, but the difference being, i try not to, i don't like it anymore and God gives me strenght to stop. and the Love i've felt from God has helped me so so much, i'd tell it but it'd take up alot of time. my testimony gives a bit more detail if you want, it's not epic by any means but it's alright.

so i guess, i'll say, if there IS something holding you back from giving God your all, figure it out and if you can ditch it you'll be the stronger for it. :hmm: i guess if that even helps. just chucken some thoughts.

but i will pray for you, and i hope you will take the time to seek God. It's true what God says too, "seek and ye shall find". it might take a while, years maybe, but when you do find Him, you'll really be stolked. like being in love, but better.

Sold Out
Sep 18th 2008, 03:51 PM

Prayer has to be defined. It is a conversation with God. If you are not His child, do you think He would answer your prayer?

The only prayer He will respond to is your prayer to seek Him and trust Him (Heb 11:6).

Kat63
Sep 18th 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry if I've wasted everyone's time here.
I just don't know what I believe any more. I've tried for a little over a year now to do the right things, say the right things. I've tried praying. I've been at church almost every time the doors are open. I don't feel safe there anymore. I don't feel anything there anymore. I've read lots of books trying to find something real, but I can't hold on to it. I thought this time was real, but it all fell apart, again, like it always does.

Tanya~
Sep 18th 2008, 11:48 PM
:hug: Kat, we don't consider it a waste of our time. We're here to answer your questions as best we can, though we are not always able to help someone. I pray that the Lord will reveal Himself to you and guide you into the knowledge of Christ.

the inside out
Sep 19th 2008, 01:18 AM
Sometimes God has us in difficult situations so that in the future we can look back and see how he's delivered us. So look at where you are know and think about where you've come from.

It's not easy to trust God. Let's be honest, it's very hard. Especially when we've been in difficult situations. But no matter how difficult your situation, God is with you and he's carrying you.

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed He was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from His life. For each scene He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to Him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of His life flashed before Him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of His life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of His life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Advice: Keep Praying.

Richard H
Sep 19th 2008, 04:56 AM
Hi Kat,
You haven’t wasted anyone’s time at all.

Coming to Christ isn’t about saying exactly the right words or doing the right things. It isn’t even about going to church.

It’s about relinquishing control to God and trusting that Jesus lived on this Earth and that He died – not just for everyone else, but for you.
THAT is how much He loves YOU.

Yet, Christianity isn’t about emotionalism. (Although God can and does evoke tears of joy sometimes)

It’s about trusting Christ and placing your faith in Him as a matter of choice.
It’s about understanding that nothing you do will be good enough to get you entrance to Heaven, but the good news
(the gospel) is that Jesus has already taken the punishment we all deserve for not being perfect humans.
He has made a way for us to come into the presence of a holy God.
This is something that you just simply accept – even as a child has no trouble accepting these things.

It is being deliberate in turning (180 degrees) from sin, and turning toward God – everyday.
This begins on the inside by simply wanting to –
Then as we continue to grow, the Holy Spirit begins to transform us from the inside to the outside.
Have patience with yourself, it won’t happen over night.
If (when) you mess up, tell God about it, pick up the pieces and continue to grow.

Contrary to some preaching a “feel-good Christianity”, God will not automatically solve all your problems, once you’re saved.
But He will be with you though all that you experience. Learn to lean into His love when troubles do come.

Growth in Christ is a life long process and progress may not always be obvious.
Still, He is able to complete the good work that He began in you.

God knows that you are seeking Him, and that is what He desires.
Keep seeking, keep asking. Don’t give up.
Talk to Him as you talk to your friend. You don’t have to address Him with “Thee” and “Thou”.
God knows you better than you know yourself, so you can tell Him anything.
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

Don’t seek to make “it” happen by acting the right way.
Rather, seek to know God by reading His word. You might begin with the book of Mathew and then read some of Paul’s letters.

We love you, but more importantly - God loves you.

Richard

apothanein kerdos
Sep 20th 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm sorry if I've wasted everyone's time here.
I just don't know what I believe any more. I've tried for a little over a year now to do the right things, say the right things. I've tried praying. I've been at church almost every time the doors are open. I don't feel safe there anymore. I don't feel anything there anymore. I've read lots of books trying to find something real, but I can't hold on to it. I thought this time was real, but it all fell apart, again, like it always does.

Well it can be quite a struggle coming to faith. Don't think for one second that it is easy or something that happens over night - there are people who go through years of looking at it. God will bring you to Him in His own time.

As for your OP - there is a good theological argument for why God allows evil. Unfortunately, the key word in there is "theological." So while it's true and good, it's not very comforting. If you're ever interested in it, let me know.

As for dealing with why He would allow such a thing, I always think of paintings. Some of the world's most beautiful paintings have the brightest colors, but we only recognize these bright colors because of how many dark colors are there to contrast against the brightness. In order to paint a beautiful picture, sometimes you have to use some dark colors. God allowed this to occur in your life for His purposes, which will come to full fruition in His own time. I would take comfort in the fact that He is loving, He has a plan for you, and He will use all evil for good.

If I might encourage you, I think True Spirituality by Francis Schaeffer would be a good read. I know you're probably tired of reading books, but before giving up please give this book a shot.

RoadWarrior
Sep 20th 2008, 06:17 PM
I've seen a few people baptized and then I continue to watch them to see if I see anything different about them. So far, I can't really tell that anything is any different about them. So why would anything be different for me?

Kat, you are not wasting our time. We all want to help you, to reach out to you and let you know that we are your friends. I went back to this post of yours (#7) because I think there is something important here.

You are looking for a faith that is real, something that changes people from the inside out. I deeply and strongly relate to that, because that was also what I was looking for when I first became a Christian. The sad thing is that you will see many people who go through the motions but are not changed.

Baptism is not what changes people. The change in us does not come from getting wet, but from surrendering ourselves to God. That is not easy to do, or even to understand when we do it. But as time goes by, a person who surrenders and keeps on surrendering to God's ways, will see changes in themselves. Over time, others will also see those changes.

We start, not by dealing with how other people have hurt us, but by seeing ourselves as God sees us. We need to see that regardless of what others have done or did not do, we have done things that are wrong. We each have sinned, and are in a dark place. We each are in need of a savior, we need to be rescued.

It is in looking at ourselves that we begin to humble ourselves and weep before the Lord. Not weeping for the many ways we have been hurt or damaged by others, but weeping for our own inability to walk in goodness and righteousness. This is called repentance. We come to God in our weakness and confess our sins to Him. We acknowledge to Him that we need Him to save us, because it is impossible for us to save ourselves.

Romans 10:9 says that if we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead, we will be saved.

This means that we are to come to the understanding of who Jesus is and what He did for us. His death, burial and resurrection are a price He paid and an example He made for us.

By His death, we recognize that we must die to our own sins, to our old way of doing things. Baptism is to help us identify with His burial, and His resurrection. As He was resurrected to newness of life, so are we when we have been baptized and come up out of the water. If we understand these things, and walk through them with Him, then there is a new power that comes into our lives.

If a person does not understand these basic things, they might "pray a sinners' prayer" and be baptized, but nothing inside the person has changed.

Please ask if you have more questions about what I have written.

Kat63
Sep 26th 2008, 08:10 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
Thank you for all your answers and explanations.
Maybe not everyone is meant to go to heaven. Maybe not everyone is meant to be saved.

Richard H
Sep 26th 2008, 10:15 PM
Dear Kat,
No one is rejected for salvation. There are no qualifications except the understanding that one needs a savior.

Certainly, there will be some who walk away because they are not willing to make a commitment.
That commitment is to seek and keep on seeking. It’s a life long process.

You are a seeker as is everyone on this board. We who “find” Christ (He’s not hiding), continue seeking Him and growing in Him.

In finally writing down my testimony, I realized something...

Before I commited to Christ, God start dealing with me about a particular sin.
I considered myself an agnostic seeker at the time, and I wasn’t prepared for Him to speak to me.
It was not an audible voice, but it was clear in the two words and I could even discern His tone of voice.
There was no condemnation, so I knew it was not my conscience. I also knew it was not my own voice. I did detect a hint of disappointment.
There were to more instances of this happening, but then it stopped. That shook me up enough to change my behavior. I knew it was God.

However, I still didn’t put 2 and 2 together and accept Christ as savior right away.
It just never occurred to me and I wasn’t particularly fond of Christians. I had prejudged God, by looking at people who claim to follow Him.

One morning I came to “realize” that I could not "see" a perfect God, while looking at imperfect people.
At that moment I “got it”, and committed to following Him as Lord and savior.

I used to wonder why God would begin dealing with me (out of the blue) about sin, before I was even “saved”.

But I had forgotten something...

Years before the incident with the voice, I had prayed what’s often called: the sinner’s prayer late one night while watching the 700 Club.
I meant it at the time and felt a bit more at peace, but in the morning I continued just as before.

Now I realize that God knew what was in my heart when I prayed. He knew that I was sincere at that moment.
He was patient and faithful even when I was not faithful. Yet, I was His from that moment on.
He is faithful and able to keep us when we rely on Him,

In my case, He was faithful to keep me and bring me to a point where I could understand.
As for the voice:
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Rev 3:19

If you’re thinking of giving up, I wouldn’t. Continue seeking God. Scripture says: draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
Open yourself up to Jesus and ask Him to fill you with His Spirit to comfort you and to teach you in the ways you should go.

What, may I ask, is causing you to weep?
I’m not asking you to specify any particular sin, but what is preventing you from simply accepting Him as your savior?
Certainly, there is nothing here on this Earth to compare with eternity with God.
Is it the hesitation of taking that first step? ‘That leap of faith?
Have you tried it expecting something “amazing” to happen and when it did not, you assumed that none of this (Christianity) was real?

Jesus does love you, Kat.
He knows exactly who you are and what is holding you back. He is able to gather you to Him and help you realize the extent of His love.

Don’t seek a feeling or experience. Faith built on “good feelings” has a shallow root. Just seek Him. Keep doing so and you will find Him.

My “experience” changed my behavior, but it didn’t change me. What really changed me was when I determined to know Him despite anything else.

Perhaps my journey began with the sinner’s prayer, but my real journey began when I decided to follow Jesus into this new beginning – this new life.

I continue to learn and grow a bit most every day. I’ve had my dry times and even slid back into sin, but God is faithful. Trust Him.
The best time to start is right now. Scripture says that today is the day of salvation. We don’t know what tomorrow will bring, or even if we will have a tomorrow.

So take that leap and trust him. Let Jesus lead you in baby steps and teach you to walk with Him

Richard

apothanein kerdos
Sep 26th 2008, 10:35 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
Thank you for all your answers and explanations.
Maybe not everyone is meant to go to heaven. Maybe not everyone is meant to be saved.

Maybe not, maybe so. In all honesty we don't know the mind of God. What I can tell you is the desire for salvation wouldn't be there in you if it weren't meant to come to full fruition at some point. I would take your current despair as a good sign that the Holy Spirit is already working within you, preparing the way for salvation.

Keep asking the big questions, keep seeking, and keep praying for clarity. It will come.

Tanya~
Sep 26th 2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Kat,

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
NKJV

Not everyone will be saved, but will not be because God wanted it that way. You can trust His promise that if you seek Him, then you will find Him.

Heb 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
NKJV

Kat63
Sep 27th 2008, 03:55 AM
I stopped going to church and I miss it. I don't know when or if I will go back. I'm not a very trusting person but I let my guard down just enough to end up getting very hurt.
Do you think demons attach themselves to people? I don't mean possession. Maybe they just stay close and whisper in their ear.

Richard H
Sep 27th 2008, 04:34 AM
They can, especially if one has been playing around with the occult.

Iím sorry you got hurt at church. Even church people can be cruel.
You can always visit a different church.

If you feel spiritual harassment, I can tell you that Satan will whisper some pretty bad stuff, when youíre a new Christian.
Knowing that you are slipping away from his grip, the devil will try to convince you of being doomed to all sorts of doubt and frustration.
The goal is to get you to give up seeking God.

Donít listen to him.

First rebuke him in the name of Jesus. Then turn your thoughts to the Lord and His love and protection and pray.

Then read some more in the Word.

Richard