PDA

View Full Version : Information Scared to see a Psychiatrist?

ChristianKnight
Sep 8th 2008, 05:25 AM
I am 15, and very...eh, idk how to say it, except I am a non-social person. Kinda anti-social, I mean I love talkin to some of my best friends, but mostly, I have none. I think I should see a psychiatrist, cause my parent has bi-polar mania, and its a very easily thing to be given from generation to generation, but their are reasons I am too scared to do this:

1. Medicine, I refuse to take medicine for something like this.
2. Military, if the military refuses me cause of this, I will leave America and go to a military that would let me fight for them.

Info/Commentary?

BrckBrln
Sep 8th 2008, 05:47 AM
I am 15, and very...eh, idk how to say it, except I am a non-social person. Kinda anti-social, I mean I love talkin to some of my best friends, but mostly, I have none. I think I should see a psychiatrist, cause my parent has bi-polar mania, and its a very easily thing to be given from generation to generation, but their are reasons I am too scared to do this:

2. Military, if the military refuses me cause of this, I will leave America and go to a military that would let me fight for them.

Info/Commentary?

Wow, you are like a carbon copy of me. :)

I had to go and see a psychiatrist when I was younger (I honestly can't remember how old I was but it was probably 10-12 years old). I don't know why I went and all I remember was the doc talking with me for five minutes and then prescribe me Zoloft.

I will tell you right now, that medicine did jack for me. I didn't change or feel any different at all. After about a year of taking it, I just quit cold turkey and still nothing happened, I felt the same as I always did. Since then I have become kinda anti-medicine for people like me who was diagnosed with ADHD. I do think that some people need the medicine but I do think it's highly overdiagnosed.

And after High School was over I planned on joining the Air Force and I was really scared that my job selection was going to be severely reduced because I was on the meds. The Air Force is more strict with stuff like that. Anyway, the plan fell through and I didn't join.

Here's my advice. I don't know if it's the right advice or not but it's what I believe. You are perfectly normal. If you're anti-social, well then join the club, it's nothing to be ashamed of or needs to be corrected. I am very much anti-social and I am just fine, you just have to deal with it sometimes. Now, I don't know anything about bi-polar so I can't comment on that, I am just addressing someone who is anti-social.

So I would advise you not to see the doc unless things get way worse or you have bi-polar or something. But this is just me.

RightCross
Sep 8th 2008, 05:47 AM
You sound a LOT like me at 15, including the desire to serve in the military. I'll post later tomorrow with some of what I've experienced and any advice I can give you. I have to go to class early in the morning, so I MUST go to sleep.

I think some of what I've got to say will be useful. Cya tomorrow with more info!

RightCross
Sep 9th 2008, 01:28 AM

Info/Commentary?

Alright, I've got a couple minute to post. There is nothing wrong with having a few friends. I think a lot of people your age (I include myself) have few close friends. My best advice is to stop worrying who your friends and participate in things you love. For me, this was sports. I had my team around me every day after school which was nice. My only mistake was not pursuing friendships more closely with them outside of practices or competitions. If you want to be around people you have to reach out since very few people will do it for you (not that they don't want to hang out with you, they just assume you have your own thing to do).

Aside from getting involved in some activities, try hosting a barbecue at a public park or something. Bring a frisbee or something for people to toss around. Invite the friends you have, some classmates, teammates, people your age from Church, and tell them to invite some friends. EVERYONE loves food, and it's a great way to meet new people.

------------

As for bi-polar disorder, it's a very valid concern especially if someone in your family has it. There are higher rates of bi-polar disorder, depression, etc among families for a variety of reasons. This by no means infers that you are going to have the disorder, but it does mean that it's something you should pay attention to. None of us are qualified, but you should talk with a general practitioner about it.

------------

On the topic of joining the military, I have a similar experience of my own. I knew from the time I was in middle school until a senior in high school that I was going to join the military. I wanted to make a difference, I wanted to challenge myself, and I wanted to serve my country. What I've never told anyone is that I had a few underlying desires that I was probably never even honest with myself about. If at the end you realize that you want to challenge yourself physically and mentally, I have a few avenues that a "military minded" individual like yourself would certainly appreciate.

1- Like you, I was not social at all during highschool outside of sports. I had maybe 2 friends along with my brother, and I spent a lot of time at home. Being part of the military gives you a large support base of fellow soldiers. It would be like having an army of brothers and sisters, which in itself is a great thing. Overall, it's a feeling of belonging to something larger than yourself.

2- I've NEVER really talked about this. I was frequently disappointed with myself, and I wondered what use I would be to anyone. I was unsure how I would function in college and what my role as an adult would be. Underneath my desire to serve my country (etc.), I had a desire to place myself in dangerous situations where death was a real possibility. It seems sad, but that's the best way I can explain it. The military gave me an "excuse" to die, but it wouldn't be suicide, and it wouldn't be dishonorable.

I think you really need to examine why you want to serve in the military. What made me concerned is that you said that you'd leave the country to serve in ANOTHER military. The whole point of serving in the military is to provide a service to your country and support what you believe in. If all you wish to do is join "a" military, you really need to question your motives.

Fast forward to my experience, and what happened to me. My worst nightmare occurred... After being accepted into a prestigious and very well known army academy, I was declared unfit for service on the grounds of a severe food allergy. I won't get into specifics, but I passed all other tests and exams with flying colors, with 1 little minor hangup that NOBODY, including the academy could have forseen. I cannot even be drafted should one occur in the United States. I tried what I could to squeeze my way in, but my allergy would place me and anyone that depended on me at risk in combat. I was crushed and lost my sense of direction, still not being completely honest with myself about my underlying issues.

I now attend a regular college, and have no plans of entering the military. As you can see I've admitted some of my problematic motives and overall realize that God has a different plan for me. My life-long allergy has drastically changed my life, and I trust it will be for the better. I plan on graduating and getting a job with the ultimate goal of supporting my own non-profit venture.

Additionally, I am glad that I will not be put in situations where I may be forced to kill. Soldiers are put in terrible positions every day by politicians with their own agendas. You won't always be fighting a clear cut enemy... It might be a 12 year old with a bomb or gun, a woman, or merely an innocent bystander who you may harm. There will be no glory, reward, or satisfaction in killing anyone. Like I said before, if it's the challenge and a fight that you desire let me know and I've got a few ideas. However I still appreciate, respect, and love all of our troops. They are placed in the most difficult situations that exist in my opinion, and often not by their own doing.

If you'd like to talk more about this, let me know. I hope I've helped a little bit. You just really need to be honest with yourself about this whole thing. Talking with people on here, or maybe speaking with a leader at your Church would be an excellent idea. At your age, I had a hard time putting all this together in my head. Luckily God took the guess work out of it when I was born by giving me this allergy.

apothanein kerdos
Sep 9th 2008, 01:57 AM
Join the debate/forensics team. I know that sounds like a simplistic solution, but you seem to have the personality of a debater. Even if you don't do extremely well, it'll get you much needed social experience.

Rufus_1611
Sep 9th 2008, 02:00 AM

1. Medicine, I refuse to take medicine for something like this. Good choice.

2. Military, if the military refuses me cause of this, I will leave America and go to a military that would let me fight for them. Any military?

Info/Commentary?

ChristianKnight
Sep 12th 2008, 07:08 AM
Good choice.
Any military?

lol, not a terroist organization.

If I had to leave America to fight probably one of the following:

French Foreign Legion
German Army

or some other army, but I really want to be a green beret.

RightCross
Sep 13th 2008, 02:39 AM
lol, not a terroist organization.

If I had to leave America to fight probably one of the following:

French Foreign Legion
German Army

or some other army, but I really want to be a green beret.

But WHY? Examine your motives... Serving in a military, to a country to which you have no allegiance, says to me that you have "interesting" reasons. Here's my guess...

-You want to be the "ultimate" tough guy, an elite soldier
-You want to push yourself to the limit
-You desire excitement and action

But do you really want to kill, be paralyzed, die? Though I've not been, there is NOTHING glorious about war. If you want to test yourself, why not pick up mixed martial arts (watch the UFC as an example). I bet you'll find a lot of the things you were looking for.

Revinius
Sep 15th 2008, 02:51 AM
You want excitement and action? Go smuggle Bibles and medical supplies into a country that would be happy if you were dead. Screw the military, this is the real war.

Friend of Jesus
Sep 18th 2008, 07:11 AM
You want excitement and action? Go smuggle Bibles and medical supplies into a country that would be happy if you were dead. Screw the military, this is the real war.

Now THAT'S the right attitude!!!

ChristianKnight
Sep 18th 2008, 11:38 PM
But WHY? Examine your motives... Serving in a military, to a country to which you have no allegiance, says to me that you have "interesting" reasons. Here's my guess...

-You want to be the "ultimate" tough guy, an elite soldier
-You want to push yourself to the limit
-You desire excitement and action

But do you really want to kill, be paralyzed, die? Though I've not been, there is NOTHING glorious about war. If you want to test yourself, why not pick up mixed martial arts (watch the UFC as an example). I bet you'll find a lot of the things you were looking for.

I am not even going to address the first one.
Whats wrong with the last 2?

I was gonna do MMA, but the teacher left.

RightCross
Sep 23rd 2008, 04:28 AM
I am not even going to address the first one.
Whats wrong with the last 2?

I was gonna do MMA, but the teacher left.

There's nothing wrong with those last two at all. What I'm saying is that if those are the things you desire, you don't need to go join the military. Joining the US military is fine in my opinion, but if you're so enamored with "war" that you'd join any other military just to fight, you've really got some tough lessons ahead of you.

Most likely at age 15 you aren't going to listen to anyone. But it's something to think about.

Friend of Jesus
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:07 PM
Most likely at age 15 you aren't going to listen to anyone. But it's something to think about.

Just as a complete side thing- I'm 16 and I will go out of my way to listen to people- namely God.

Best not to generalise

Revinius
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:17 PM
Just as a complete side thing- I'm 16 and I will go out of my way to listen to people- namely God.

Best not to generalise

Your being an anomally doesnt mean most teenagers arent more than a little self-absorbed. Be thankful if you arent and use such grace to get through to them. :hug:

Ekeak
Sep 24th 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm extremely self absorbed.

RightCross
Sep 25th 2008, 07:01 PM

Best not to generalise

Don't take it personally, I speak from my own experience. I'm still barely in my 20's and I remember how I felt at that age. I still have a hard time listening and changing my own opinions/plans/ideas based on other people unless I already slightly agree. I learn through personal experience and doing things either right or wrong.