PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: I need a Bible...

JesusMySavior
Sep 8th 2008, 04:58 PM
...that shows all of the common mishaps, misinterpretations, "perceived" mistakes, and grammatical "errors" and explains them for me.

I keep finding contradictions and mistakes in the Bible as I read it. I've read through it many times but they're all jumping out at me. Please don't ask me which ones because there's too many. I'm suffering in my relationship with God because of it. I'm just curious if there is a Bible that shows all of that, for example ...

"In Matthew here, it speaks of Two demoniacs, while the other Gospels speak of one. The relationship that Matthew had with Jesus.... the reasoning for this is ... his account was different because ... " so on and so forth.

This way I don't get sidetracked, angry, or frustrated and quit reading the Bible. Anybody who wants to flame me for saying I see mistakes in the Bible can just go make themselves a sandwich or something because I don't want to hear it.

And to be honest it doesn't bother me how much a Bible like this costs or where to get it. I just need one.

thanks!

~Jared

Tanya~
Sep 8th 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Jared,

As far as I know, there isn't a Bible like that. But there are websites that address the difficult passages in the Bible. One that I know of and have used in the past is Tektonics.org (http://tektonics.org/). As you read through the Scripture in your Bible, when one of those problems "jumps out" at you, look it up using the search function at Tekton. I'm sure there are other sources for help with these things as well.

Every Christian has their faith tested, and it can be very severe. I would recommend that you establish your faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ which is what faith stands on. Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and rose from the dead? Do you believe in the resurrection? This has to be established first and if you need help with that, try The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=42199&netp_id=157655&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers) by Josh McDowell. You can read some about this online here (http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/josh2.html).

Oregongrown
Sep 8th 2008, 05:56 PM
I have researched too to find helpful commentaries, encyclopedias, dictionaries and in general, Godly input online. Here are some sites I find to be pretty good, not perfect but helpful.

blueletterbible.org
apologeticsindex.org
studylight.org(this may be one of the best resources, it's just loaded with stuff:)

You can always google too. LIke you could type in discrepancies in the bible. But, always remember that if you are saved, the Holy Spirit will teach/help you in all discernment(Truth from lies)so I always compare what I find to make sure it is reconcilable to Gods Word, the final authority:)

your sister in Christ, denise:hug:

...that shows all of the common mishaps, misinterpretations, "perceived" mistakes, and grammatical "errors" and explains them for me.

I keep finding contradictions and mistakes in the Bible as I read it. I've read through it many times but they're all jumping out at me. Please don't ask me which ones because there's too many. I'm suffering in my relationship with God because of it. I'm just curious if there is a Bible that shows all of that, for example ...

"In Matthew here, it speaks of Two demoniacs, while the other Gospels speak of one. The relationship that Matthew had with Jesus.... the reasoning for this is ... his account was different because ... " so on and so forth.

This way I don't get sidetracked, angry, or frustrated and quit reading the Bible. Anybody who wants to flame me for saying I see mistakes in the Bible can just go make themselves a sandwich or something because I don't want to hear it.

And to be honest it doesn't bother me how much a Bible like this costs or where to get it. I just need one.

thanks!

~Jared

Tanya~
Sep 8th 2008, 06:05 PM
Good points by Denise and I would like to add, that if you believe in God, then give Him the benefit of the doubt. You can approach the difficult passages with the idea in the back of your head that the Bible is going to be proven false, or you can approach them with the idea that you know God is real, that Christ is true, and that these problems will prove to be inconsequential.

Heb 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is , and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
NKJV

Pray as you go through this. Give God the benefit of the doubt, and it will be fruitful in the end.

Reynolds357
Sep 8th 2008, 06:14 PM

thanks!

~Jared

There are no contradictions or mistakes in the Bible. Any apparent contradiction is merely a lack of complete understanding of the passage which may lead one to think they see a contradiction. However, there are no contradictions, nor are there any mistakes in the KJV. You ask for an impossibility. How can you point out and explain mitakes and contradictions that do not exist?

graceforme
Sep 8th 2008, 08:02 PM
There are no contradictions or mistakes in the Bible. Any apparent contradiction is merely a lack of complete understanding of the passage which may lead one to think they see a contradiction. However, there are no contradictions, nor are there any mistakes in the KJV. You ask for an impossibility. How can you point out and explain mitakes and contradictions that do not exist?

Good words. The Bible always confirms itself. Always compare Scripture with Scripture. Those who don't understand right division of Scripture often claim contradictions in the Bible, but if we take into consideration Who is being addressed in a passage, and the time era in which it is taking place, it makes it much easier to understand. Is it instruction for us today, or for the nation of Israel? Much confusion takes place when we try to apply what was promised for Israel and apply it to the Body of Christ today.

I can highly recommend the John MacArthur study Bible. He has a clear understanding of Scripture and there's lots of references to study out.

Don't get discouraged. It's really very simple - men who don't understand the Bible have made it complicated.

God Bless.

roadrunner570
Sep 8th 2008, 08:08 PM
We also should understand there are different types of "contradictions". Yes, in pretty much all of the English translations there are sections that appear to have contradictions or errors. These are things that have happened through thousands of years of translations of translations and copies of copies. However, NONE of the theological meaning of the texts contradicts or is lost.

One thing that comes to mind is a passage in Kings (can't think of it off hand) it says one king lost 10,000 men, in Chronicles after the same battle, it says the same king lost like 30,000 men. Some would say this is a contradiction, but it is one that has no bearing on the message of the Bible.

The suggestions given here have been very good. I would also recommend taking a course on Biblical interpretation to learn some of the things on the different types of literature contained in the Bible and how to understand each literary form. That makes a huge difference.

threebigrocks
Sep 8th 2008, 08:09 PM
JesusMySavior, if you like we have a Maturing in Christ forum in addition to Bible Chat. Either of these forums would welcome your honest and answer seeking questions. :) My suggestion is to try some of the tools mentioned, and also post 1 question per thread for us to help you along.

NothingButTheBlood
Sep 9th 2008, 12:31 AM
I like CBD booksellers christianbook.com Discount prices and user reviews too. Hope you find what you are looking for.

JesusMySavior
Sep 9th 2008, 06:03 PM

I will go get you some bologna.

JesusMySavior
Sep 9th 2008, 06:05 PM
One thing that comes to mind is a passage in Kings (can't think of it off hand) it says one king lost 10,000 men, in Chronicles after the same battle, it says the same king lost like 30,000 men. Some would say this is a contradiction, but it is one that has no bearing on the message of the Bible.

The suggestions given here have been very good. I would also recommend taking a course on Biblical interpretation to learn some of the things on the different types of literature contained in the Bible and how to understand each literary form. That makes a huge difference.

No, it does not take away from the fullness of the story, but it does blemish the accuracy of it. To say the Bible is a "perfect" and "Holy-Spirit" written book and not by men seems to be entirely false because even though it doesn't diminish the entire outcome of the message, it still has fallacies which therefore prevent it from being "perfect".

I really used to look over the mistakes for years but it's finally all coming to a head. I can't just force them back down again. Either God is going to teach me something HUGE or I'm going to find out that it was all bull.

graceforme
Sep 10th 2008, 01:02 AM
No, it does not take away from the fullness of the story, but it does blemish the accuracy of it. To say the Bible is a "perfect" and "Holy-Spirit" written book and not by men seems to be entirely false because even though it doesn't diminish the entire outcome of the message, it still has fallacies which therefore prevent it from being "perfect".

I really used to look over the mistakes for years but it's finally all coming to a head. I can't just force them back down again. Either God is going to teach me something HUGE or I'm going to find out that it was all bull.

God has been trying to teach you something huge - it's all in His Word - the Bible. No mistakes, no contradictions, the contradictions are merely lack of understanding. You need to attend a good Bible study group - someone who really understands right division of Scripture and can show you how The Word always confirms itself. You will find the effort well worth while.

God Bless.

Shaniesa
Sep 10th 2008, 01:54 AM
When i first stared reading the bible, man to be honest with you i didn't liek reading it either. I couldn't understand anything that was going on cuz the grammer was confusing. So my young life leaders gave me a niv study bible. The bible is awesome it has explantion on whats going and how to apply it to your life., man i love that bible to death. I believe it has made my relationship with the lord even more better.

P.s if that doesn't help you can always go the nearest bible book store and they can help you out with what your looking for.

God bless
-shaniesa batiste

threebigrocks
Sep 10th 2008, 01:55 AM
I will go get you some bologna.

JMS, I've had moments where I've been just plain confused. Others where things didn't add up. It wasn't until I gave up trying to understand things for myself according to my thoughts and processes and asked God to reveal what in the world some things meant. Only then did it make sense.

Scripture isn't just the plain word for word in print that we read with our eyes. It's when you look into more of that which is spiritual, behind and deeper than those black and white printed words. That is where understanding comes from. :)

TrustGzus
Sep 10th 2008, 11:43 AM
Hey JMS,

I don't know a Bible that has the notes you are asking for. However, I own a couple books that fit the need exactly!

The Big Book of Bible Difficulties (http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Bible-Difficulties-Revelation/dp/0801071585/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221046837&sr=8-1) (I own this under an older title).

or

Hard Sayings of the Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Sayings-Bible-Peter-Davids/dp/083081423X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221046900&sr=1-1)

These are great books by scholars. Money well spent if you choose. Pick up one or both and I think you'll find that God will teach you something HUGE. If you'd like, give me one of the problems you're dealing with and I'll send you a PM with what one of these books says in response to it so you can see if this is what you want.

Joe

ServantofTruth
Sep 10th 2008, 11:58 AM
Just a thought - but sometimes i want everything God has to give me at once. Study takes over and i work for endless hours, with multiple bibles and supporting books. I can get quite frustrated and stressed - until i realise i am, by my own strength trying to grab, what God will reveal to me when he knows i am ready.

At these times i return to the message of Salvation in a plain English version of the bible. I love the gospels and words of our Saviour. It took Tanyap to point out, the other day, that i needed to do the same with my children's study.

It is possible that satan is looking to use the complexity of some parts of the bible to rob you of the simplicity of your Salvation. You have been very wise, led by the Holy Spirit within i believe, to look for ways to defend yourself and find out God's Wisdom in all books of the bible. May our Heavenly Father reward you obedience, may his Spirit guide you and his Son our Saviour Jesus Christ carry you in times of need. Love SofTy. :saint:

cdo
Sep 10th 2008, 05:15 PM
that shows all of the common mishaps, misinterpretations, "perceived" mistakes, and grammatical "errors" and explains them for me.

thanks!

~Jared
Hi Jared,Just a suggestion you might consider.I have e~sword downloaded.It's ...e-sword.com it's free and comes with the Strong's concordance lot of other helpful info.If I remember correctly you can download up to either 35 different Bibles or 70.If you think you might be interested, go search it out.They offer alot! And you can also use it off-line which I like as well.
Hope this will help.in Christ,Darlene