PDA

View Full Version : i appear much more spiritual on this forum than in real life

immortality
Sep 9th 2008, 07:41 PM
i find it funny, looking back at my posts, how i appear to be much more spiritual and holy than i am in real life.

which i guess brings me to my next point: the only genuinely righteous and holy person to ever walk this planet is jesus. it seems that today, we have such idolatry in the church. for example, we look at the disciples and prophets in the bible as if they were completely blameless, or as if they were completely free from the temptations of sin.

"oh! what a wretched creature i am!", says paul. if he, being one of the most laborious disciples of jesus, says such a thing, then how much more us?

if jesus, being the perfectly righteous being that he was on this earth, had to spend much time in prayer and communion with god, how much more us wretched pieces of dust?

CoffeeCat
Sep 9th 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi there. :)

First of all, please don't beat yourself up. All of us humans sin; as the old saying goes, when Christ saves us, it's not as though we're suddenly sinless... we just have good reason to sin LESS. The way you present yourself on this forum is probably the same way a LOT of us do, myself included: we offer words that have sometimes been edited. We put our best foot forward. We don't usually, let alone always, post with the transparency that would let everyone know ALL of our struggles and trials. It's not that we LIE here; it's just that we don't show everyone everything about us, 100% of the time. It's human nature, I think, to be like that.

You bring up a good point. Although I don't believe ANY Christian should consider themselves horrible or wretched now (although we might surely FEEL that way, some days!) it's always good to be able to bring ourselves in prayer before our God. Humility, our daily walk with Christ, is something we have to work on every single day of our lives, and there's never a point we should get to where we say "okay, I know God well enough, there's no room in my heart and life for improvement". We need to rely on Christ, turn our lives over to God..... easier said than done, eh? That's why it's literally a daily task. Sometimes it's all we can do to creep and crawl along, rather than run, to God.... but as long as we keep moving towards Him we'll be alright.

We have a challenge, now, because of your post. :) In my first point, I said that we put our best foot forward and we're not all totally transparent. Now, there are good reasons for this, the biggest being that sometimes, our sin is between God and us alone. But that shouldn't stop us from taking up the challenge: live, every day, so that we could truthfully tell our brothers and sisters in Christ about any moment in our day. Be willing to grow and to forgive; be willing to counsel brothers and sisters in Christ who come to us, ready and willing to share their WORST moments.... and don't hold those against them. Just love them, and help them on their way again.

I took a personal challenge out of your words, although I doubt you meant to put it there. So thank you for your thoughts. And, like Paul, we need to be diligent in prayer and thanksgiving. :)