PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Church of God

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 10th 2008, 12:03 AM
Truly an amazing story, an unorthodox fringe movement brought into full agreement with orthodox evangelicalism. I've found the story of the Worldwide Church of God to be one of the most fascinating stories in the history of Christianity. Joseph Tkach Sr. and Jr. pulled off an incredible feat in tossing aside the heretical doctrines of founder Herbert Armstrong and embracing orthodox doctrine with open arms. It took a little over 10 years to implement/complete the changes but it still happened. Looking at what happened with the WCG, it makes me wonder if that means that other heretical fringe movements could move to orthodoxy if the right person(s) came along...

Richard H
Sep 10th 2008, 12:35 AM
Truly an amazing story, an unorthodox fringe movement brought into full agreement with orthodox evangelicalism. I've found the story of the Worldwide Church of God to be one of the most fascinating stories in the history of Christianity. Joseph Tkach Sr. and Jr. pulled off an incredible feat in tossing aside the heretical doctrines of founder Herbert Armstrong and embracing orthodox doctrine with open arms. It took a little over 10 years to implement/complete the changes but it still happened. Looking at what happened with the WCG, it makes me wonder if that means that other heretical fringe movements could move to orthodoxy if the right person(s) came along...

After Armstrong died, WCG divided into several splinters. One of which is headed up by Ronald Weinland. He claims to be one of the 2 witnesses – the MAIN witness.
He interprets scripture according to what happens inside his little church.

Weinland placed a date (spring this year) for something to happen
(he did not know what) and was in Israel ready for the event.
When nothing happened, he came to the conclusion that THAT was the event.

“NOTHING”.

It was a hidden event that occurred in the spirit.
He then announced the identity of the other witness – his wife. :eek:

David Taylor
Sep 10th 2008, 01:32 AM
Peanuts
Cashews
Almonds
Pecans
Macadamians
Walnuts

Plenty of Nuts to for everyone! :bounce:

nikkiw
Sep 10th 2008, 02:14 AM
SO, nothing significant has happened? Didn't he mention in an interview that if nothing happened by the end of july that he would declare himself a false prophet and step down from ministry, or do i have that wrong?

Nikki

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 10th 2008, 02:24 AM
SO, nothing significant has happened? Didn't he mention in an interview that if nothing happened by the end of july that he would declare himself a false prophet and step down from ministry, or do i have that wrong?

Nikki

I know nothing about this. But what happened to the Worldwide Church of God was EXTREMELY significant. From what I know about the Worldwide Church of God was that under its founder, Herbert Armstrong, the group rejected the Trinity, the bodily resurrection of Christ, was a strict sabbath-keeping organization, and had legalistic control over its membership. When false prophet Herbert Armstrong (who is now, and forever, in hell) died, Joseph Tkach Sr. took over and a massive reform movement took place, the legalism was swept aside, the Trinity and the Bodily Resurrection were accepted, as well as other orthodox doctrines, sabbatarianism/law keeping was abolished and replaced with a doctrine of salvation by grace through faith. Tkach Sr. died before finalizing some more minor areas, but his son, Joseph Jr, took over and completed his father's work. The Worldwide Church of God was accepted into the National Association of Evangelicals in 1997 and has been ever since. As a matter of fact, Joseph Jr, who still serves as Pastor General of the Church, is a member of the NAE's board. As a result of the changes that the Tkach's instituted, I consider those in the WCG as brothers/sisters in the Lord.

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 10th 2008, 02:31 AM

Nikki

Whoops, were you referring to post 2? If you were, I just made myself look like an idiot. :blush:

nikkiw
Sep 10th 2008, 02:42 AM
no, no, no, don't feel bad... wasn't posting in response to any particular post, really. i just heard that somewhenere and haven't been able to find it again. good info, though, thank you! =)

Richard H
Sep 10th 2008, 02:56 AM

Nikki

Yes. Although I think he has 'forgotten' about that. :hmm:

My brother was interested in what-was-what, so I got hear the interview you speak of - although I didn't remember the date.

I also heard a recording of his broadcast from Isreal with the two 'big' announcments.

Thankfully, with a little guidence, my brother was able to see the falseness.