PDA

View Full Version : Human Fears of Snakes, Was It the Serpent in the Garden?

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 11th 2008, 02:10 AM
I've noticed that people seem to be by and large repulsed by, and even afraid of, snakes. Several explanations as to why have been offered but here's what I personally believe. Since the Fall of Man, when Adam and Eve fell for the Serpent's temptations, everyone since has inherited a sin nature, and as a result of that, when people see snakes, that painful event in the early days of human history somehow remains ingrained in the human conscience as a result of that sin nature, whether that person is saved or not (obviously, that fear won't relate to their personal sinfulness or issues relating to sin at all until the Holy Spirit convicts them and attempts to draw that individual to salvation). Does this seem to make sense for why people are so afraid of snakes and have been for so many years?

faroutinmt
Sep 11th 2008, 02:31 AM
To tell you the truth, I have personally seen many children -both boys and girls- which have no fear of snakes. Some have even shown interest in them. I don't think it's an inherited fear. I think some folks get scared by something slithering past them suddenly, but mostly I think it is a learned fear.

Of course, it's just my opinion. But, I know that I have seen children who have absolutely no fear of snakes. :)

Emanate
Sep 11th 2008, 02:31 AM
I've noticed that people seem to be by and large repulsed by, and even afraid of, snakes. Several explanations as to why have been offered but here's what I personally believe. Since the Fall of Man, when Adam and Eve fell for the Serpent's temptations, everyone since has inherited a sin nature, and as a result of that, when people see snakes, that painful event in the early days of human history somehow remains ingrained in the human conscience as a result of that sin nature, whether that person is saved or not (obviously, that fear won't relate to their personal sinfulness or issues relating to sin at all until the Holy Spirit convicts them and attempts to draw that individual to salvation). Does this seem to make sense for why people are so afraid of snakes and have been for so many years?

Perhaps in part. I have never been afraid of snakes, but I do have an aversion to poison. Do not get me started on roaches though.

divaD
Sep 11th 2008, 02:37 AM

Hi MidnightsPaleGlow. I believe that what you stated could have something to do with it. Something else to keep in mind, many snakes are poisonous. With that in mind, many spiders are also poisonous. Many people fear them too, yet we recall no mention of them in the garden. Personally, my fear of snakes is simply because many of them are poisonous

dispen4ever
Sep 11th 2008, 02:46 AM
I'd lean more toward the fear of being bitten by a poisonous snake, or whatever else is poisonous. I'm quick to smack a spider. I visited with a highschool friend who was bitten by a snake ~~ he barely escaped with his life. I was approached twice by a water moccasin (sp?). Once I threw a rock. Twice I got out of the water.

divaD
Sep 11th 2008, 02:54 AM
I'm quick to smack a spider.

LOL. Me too...well except for those grandaddy long legs. I don't have a problem with them.