PDA

View Full Version : The Way

The Parson
Sep 12th 2008, 12:34 AM
I was reading an article which quoted a study that said. Wow, that's a thread opener fer sure, isn't it. Anyway, in this article it's claimed that many of those who call themselves evangelicals now no longer believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to receive eternal life. I think the percentage was 57%. Please tell me that isn't true. 57% is a bunch of folks.

Call me naieve if you want, but I personally find it hard to believe myself because the passage in John 14 is still in the Bible, isn't it?: John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

One of the things that sets Christianity as a whole, seperate, is it's exclusivity. There is but one way to be saved and that's through Christ Jesus.

The Parson
Sep 12th 2008, 12:41 AM
I found that article by the way. It is at http://pewforum.org/news/display.php?NewsID=15918
Interesting indeed.

livingwaters
Sep 12th 2008, 01:00 AM
2 Peter 2:1 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=2 Peter+2:1&version=9)
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
And as you know, there are zillions of scripture about this....so, to me that is a sign of the end times...Cause really, how much more corruption is God going to tolerate!!!! This world is going to "hell in a hand basket." But, as Christians, we know that we have hope and faith to carry us through these times until Jesus comes.....Alleluia..Alleluia...:pp:pp

MyGod
Sep 12th 2008, 01:03 AM
I was reading an article which quoted a study that said. Wow, that's a thread opener fer sure, isn't it. Anyway, in this article it's claimed that many of those who call themselves evangelicals now no longer believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to receive eternal life. I think the percentage was 57%. Please tell me that isn't true. 57% is a bunch of folks.

Call me naieve if you want, but I personally find it hard to believe myself because the passage in John 14 is still in the Bible, isn't it?: John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

One of the things that sets Christianity as a whole, seperate is it's exclusivity. There is but one way to be saved and that's through Christ Jesus.

I agree. But, you'd be surprised by the different responses you'll get from people (even Christians) when asked, "what do you have to do to be saved?" Some people will say, "I have to follow the ten commandments," "I have to have more good works than bad works," "I have to be water baptized," or "I have to be a good person."

Trust me, I've asked. I witness to people all the time. People who claim to be Christians leave out the most important factor, Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. No one can get to God w/o accepting Christ as their savior!

I mean, even Oprah claims to be a Christian. You guys do know this, don't cha? But, if you find out what she believes, she doesn't believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for her sins. She believes she's a god, you're a god. Notice I said god with a little "g." Lol. She does not believe there is only one way. I was just talking to a co-worker earlier. I told her, when someone says they believe in God, you have to ask, "which God?" I believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. My God has a Son named the Lord Jesus Christ who died on the cross for my sins. My mother is a hare krishna. She believes we serve the same God. We don't. Her god doesn't have a Son called Jesus Christ. Without Christ, where would I be?

livingword26
Sep 12th 2008, 01:54 AM
Falling away. Thats where we are now.

2Th 2:1-3
(1) Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
(2) That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
(3) Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

walked
Sep 12th 2008, 02:46 AM
Besides Christ Jesus as ones only way to be restored to fellowship with our creator....
Agreed that is the main distinction of chistians but another is forgiveness and mercy to one another, and the mature in Christ will also know the difference between discernment of evil in the world and judging evil in the world.

TrustingFollower
Sep 12th 2008, 03:41 AM

One of the things that sets Christianity as a whole, seperate, is it's exclusivity. There is but one way to be saved and that's through Christ Jesus.
Well sir, I am not here to please man, only God. So color me one of the other 43%. Jesus will always be the only way for me.

threebigrocks
Sep 12th 2008, 04:10 AM
I agree. But, you'd be surprised by the different responses you'll get from people (even Christians) when asked, "what do you have to do to be saved?" Some people will say, "I have to follow the ten commandments," "I have to have more good works than bad works," "I have to be water baptized," or "I have to be a good person."

Trust me, I've asked. I witness to people all the time. People who claim to be Christians leave out the most important factor, Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. No one can get to God w/o accepting Christ as their savior!

I mean, even Oprah claims to be a Christian. You guys do know this, don't cha? But, if you find out what she believes, she doesn't believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for her sins. She believes she's a god, you're a god. Notice I said god with a little "g." Lol. She does not believe there is only one way. I was just talking to a co-worker earlier. I told her, when someone says they believe in God, you have to ask, "which God?" I believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. My God has a Son named the Lord Jesus Christ who died on the cross for my sins. My mother is a hare krishna. She believes we serve the same God. We don't. Her god doesn't have a Son called Jesus Christ. Without Christ, where would I be?

Whooha! Now that's what I'm talking about! :pp

Pure and simple - The Way is poison.

The Parson
Sep 12th 2008, 04:12 AM
Besides Christ Jesus as ones only way to be restored to fellowship with our creator....
Agreed that is the main distinction of chistians but another is forgiveness and mercy to one another, and the mature in Christ will also know the difference between discernment of evil in the world and judging evil in the world.Hmmmmmm. Well, okey dokey. So it's not too over simplified, lets cover this before we go any further then. walked, do you believe salvation is so simple a child can understand it?

My heart's Desire
Sep 12th 2008, 04:22 AM
do you believe salvation is so simple a child can understand it? Can I answer plz, plz? :)
I'd word it Faith is so simple a child can understand it. It's us adults that seem to stumble over it. I know I did for awhile.

seamus414
Sep 12th 2008, 12:15 PM

It is probably higher than we would like, but many grains of salt ought to be included in polls such as this when no options or nuance is permitted in answers.

walked
Sep 13th 2008, 05:46 AM
Hmmmmmm. Well, okey dokey. So it's not too over simplified, lets cover this before we go any further then. walked, do you believe salvation is so simple a child can understand it?

I believe that a child acts on faith more than an adult does, a child is depending and trusting that what was/is taught to him or her is true and acts upon it, whether that child understands that this is an act of faith is a different story.

Now whether or not salvation is so simple a child could understand it, I would have to have you agree that salvation means: being restored to an eternal position of fellowship with God through the work of Christ Jesus Emanuel, restored to the position God created man for.
If you agree to that definition of salvation? Then yes, I do think salvation is simple enough for a child to understand it, however I do not think the process of growth and renewal in Christ is simple enough to be taught to a child by anything other than Gods Holy spirit, I believe and trust God that He will finish the work started by one deciding to respond to Gods call to salvation, Gods Holy spirit will then create desires in that child's heart to feed on more and more of Gods word enabling Gods Holy spirit to quicken that child's process of growth and renewal in Christ, transforming him into Christ likeness.

I do not believe salvation is given when a man responds to Gods call to salvation or when a man decides to follow and discipline himself after the teachings and example of Christ Jesus Emanuel, I believe salvation is given at the end of the race if a man has endured to the end with his faith and been proven to be worthy of the one who has called him by not just initially believing but believing and still acting on those beliefs glorifying God to the end.
So, understanding salvation and obtaining salvation are two very different things.
I think anyone, even a child can understand salvation, but I know God is true when He says few are those who find it.
I do not believe that salvation is given to a man at any point other than the end of this earth age or at the end of a mans earthly life 'If' that man acted on his faith till the end, in other words the man must endure in his acts of faith, he must keep disciplining himself to the teachings of Christ showing evidence of faith in Gods word and always growing in Christ likeness and shining/witnessing with that Christ likeness to others God has put around him even to the end to be saved.