PDA

View Full Version : Church of England apologizes to Darwin (Article link)

A820djd
Sep 14th 2008, 04:50 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1055597/Church-makes--8216-ludicrous-8217-apology-Charles-Darwin--126-years-death.html

ilovemetal
Sep 14th 2008, 06:40 AM
haha classic. i'm sure darwin is very thankful for that...oh wait...

Luke34
Sep 14th 2008, 06:48 AM
It's a nice idea (trying to demonstrate that they're no longer opposed to Darwin's theories), but issuing an "apology" is rather pointless. A simple "We were wrong" would've sufficed.

Elouise
Sep 14th 2008, 09:59 AM
I suggest checking the Church of England's website and also waiting for this weeks 'Church Times' to be published rather than a tabloid like the Daily Mail.
The Daily Mail do love to create 'news' on supossition and at this point of time I cannot find an offical press release.

Darwin was demonized at the time rather than meet with compassionate apologetics. I also suspect the pastoral care he needed following the illness and consequent death of his daughter was not made available having seen the differance in older 'cure of soul' books and more recent pastoral theology/ethics and care books.

I have yet to met a bereaved parent who does not seriously question assumptions of faith and look for answers.
If they get told your child died because you question *ouch*.

MrAnteater
Sep 14th 2008, 11:45 AM
Darwin has been one of the greatest tools of Satan in recent history.

The religion of evolution has lead many to reject God and pushed the envelope of atheism in our society. When the bible warns of false doctrines nothing rings the alarm bell more than the lies of evolution.

Elouise
Sep 14th 2008, 12:37 PM
I think you may mean Social Darwinism in the above context rather than Darwin himself.

thestarofthesea
Sep 14th 2008, 09:08 PM
Well, I support any attempt to be accountable for misdeeds. For the Church to admit failure is a big step, and I applaud the Vatican officials who made the decision to rectify past wrongdoings. Just because something happened a long time ago doesn't mean we cease to be accountable for what we've done. Sins I committed as a child still deserve recognition and correction; we can't just ignore mistakes and hope nobody notices. The Bush administration could learn a thing or two from this action! :) But I agree with some posters who have said making a big, celebrated fuss isn't necessary. A simple acknowledgement of past wrongs and a positive attitude towards preventing the same mistakes from happening again is plenty. I'm very proud of the Church for taking this step.

Elouise
Sep 15th 2008, 07:30 AM
thestarofthesea.

Your post contains one of the core parts of the heart of good theological reflection. Looking back at past errors, questioning in the light of current understanding and seeking ways to move forward and improve because of Christ.:thumbsup: