PDA

View Full Version : How to interpret OT prophecy in light of the NT

Equipped_4_Love
Sep 14th 2008, 11:18 PM
So, for the past few months, I have been reading through the prophetic books....Isaiah, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Jeremiah, etc., and have found these books to be confusing at times, the reason being, I do not know how to interpret these books in light of NT prophecy....How do we know what prophecies have been fulfilled, and which are yet to be fulfilled? Is there a decent formula for interpreting this?

I've been reading through the commentaries carefully, so as to decipher what is past, and what is future, prophecy, but I am wondering how these commentators came to the conclusion of which prophecies signified which events?

For example, the text of Joel:

In verses 2:17 thru 27, it seems to be talking about the Babylonian invasion, then at verse 28, it seems to talk about the day of Pentecost, but then, I've heard some people say that the reference of "I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh" also refers to the last days....so how is it possible to know if a certain verse is talking about past events, or events to come?

Furthermore, verse 31 seems to refer to events that are referenced in the book of Revelation. So, then, seeing as how the prophetic books jump from generation to generation, how are we to know which generation is being referred to? It's so confusing to me. Does anyone have any insights?

Thank you so much.

timmyb
Sep 14th 2008, 11:32 PM
that's where you need the Holy Spirit and the spoken word of the Lord... as you read the OT, you need to realize the first application is to the nation of Israel... secondary applications and principles are reflections of seasons the church is in today... but the most important thing is to ask the Lord what is he doing NOW in our day in our time... be faithful in the Scriptures, but by no means neglect the Holy Spirit's leading...

Equipped_4_Love
Sep 14th 2008, 11:44 PM
that's where you need the Holy Spirit and the spoken word of the Lord... as you read the OT, you need to realize the first application is to the nation of Israel... secondary applications and principles are reflections of seasons the church is in today... but the most important thing is to ask the Lord what is he doing NOW in our day in our time... be faithful in the Scriptures, but by no means neglect the Holy Spirit's leading...

Amen to THAT.....the Holy Spirit is the primary guide in Scriptural interpretation.
Even so, I still find that I get confused.

vinsight4u8
Sep 14th 2008, 11:54 PM
It takes a lot of work - but the place to get started is Genesis.

Ex. Genesis 37:9 needs linked to Rev. 12.
the woman - Israel
with her 12 tribes

another stop?
Deuteronomy 32:34
It refers to something that is laid up - sealed with the Lord.
Rev. 6- the Lamb opens the seals

for Isaiah?
2:10-21
6th seal of Revelation (every mountain and island move and the wicked hide in the rocks)
People are missing that the great tribulation is over - thus all of the trumpet time is also over in the 6th seal.

seals - Deuteronomy 32
the sealed up prophecy

4th seal -man of sin

5th seal - great tribulation
all sleep till all martyrs come in that to be killed

6th seal -great trib over
rapture of the church (7th trumpet)
God shows His face
the wicked hide

IPet2_9
Sep 15th 2008, 12:06 AM
Another highly-neglected aspect of OT prophecy is history. A lot of people ascribe future events to OT prophecy because they just are not aware of what already happened.

The classic mis-interpretation is how everybody thinks "Israel will be restored"--unaware of the fact that Israel was ALREADY restored not long after the prophets prophesied it.

Equipped_4_Love
Sep 15th 2008, 12:19 AM
Another highly-neglected aspect of OT prophecy is history. A lot of people ascribe future events to OT prophecy because they just are not aware of what already happened.

The classic mis-interpretation is how everybody thinks "Israel will be restored"--unaware of the fact that Israel was ALREADY restored not long after the prophets prophesied it.

Ya, see, that's where I'm getting confused. Is there such a thing as dual prophecy? If so, where does it apply?

Also, how much of prophecy is literal, and how much is figurative, for example, the moon being turned to blood, and the sun being darkened, in Joel? Also, it talks about the Awesome Day of the Lord....has this already happened, or is this yet to be? Wasn't the sun darkened when Christ was crucified, and "death was swallowed up in victory?" Is this the Awesome Day of the Lord?

I've found that it is helpful understanding which prophets prophesied under which kings, but even so, a lot of it seems to allude to future events. Why is it so confusing?!

vinsight4u8
Sep 15th 2008, 12:41 AM
1 Cor. 15:54 shows that death will be swallowed up in victory at the last trump.
No more righteous people will ever die. Anyone that goes to the grave after the 7th trumpet resurrection of the just will never rise in victory, they will only rise to die the second death (lake of fire).