PDA

View Full Version : What is the nature of God?

legoman
Sep 15th 2008, 03:33 AM
Hi all,

This is my homework assignment from RoadWarrior :)

What is the nature of God? What are some of the verses and scriptures that we can learn about who God is?

For me, I think its all summed up by "God is Love" 1 John 4:16. So, if we know what Love is, we know what God is. 1 Corinthians 13 tells us what love is:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails.

These are all attributes of God.

Roadwarrior suggested this verse in another thread:

Jeremiah 9: 24 but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.

This is showing God exercises kindness, justice, and righteousness. This fits perfectly with 1 Corinthians.

Another important attribute of God is that he never changes... this is being discussed in the "Does God change his mind" thread. Malachi 3:6 and numbers 23:19 are pretty clear in that God does not change.

This then gives us the confidence that God's love will not change. God is love, so he is patient, kind, protecting, and never failing. And he will never change from this. He will always be loving and patient. And he will never fail.

Cheers,
Legoman

SIG
Sep 15th 2008, 03:43 AM
You want us to help you do your HOMEWORK? I'M TELLING TEACHER!!

RoadWarrior
Sep 15th 2008, 03:46 AM
:D An excellent beginning. I'll give you another tip. What did Hagar learn about the character of God?

RoadWarrior
Sep 15th 2008, 03:47 AM
Hey, Sig! This homework is for all students who are seeking to get an A in this class. ;)

SIG
Sep 15th 2008, 04:22 AM
Hey, Sig! This homework is for all students who are seeking to get an A in this class. ;)

oh.....:blushsad:....so I'll let someone else do mine for me:

http://www.preceptaustin.org/attributes_of_God.htm

RoadWarrior
Sep 15th 2008, 04:28 AM
oh.....:blushsad:....so I'll let someone else do mine for me:

http://www.preceptaustin.org/attributes_of_God.htm

Nope. That doesn't count. You have to dig it out of the scriptures for yourself. Come on now, it isn't hard. There is no greater joy in Bible Study than learning for yourself the truths about God.

crossnote
Sep 15th 2008, 04:37 AM
Hi all,

What is the nature of God? What are some of the verses and scriptures that we can learn about who God is?

For me, I think its all summed up by "God is Love" 1 John 4:16. So, if we know what Love is, we know what God is. 1 Corinthians 13 tells us what love is:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails.

for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.

This is showing God exercises kindness, justice, and righteousness. This fits perfectly with 1 Corinthians.

Another important attribute of God is that he never changes... this is being discussed in the "Does God change his mind" thread. Malachi 3:6 and numbers 23:19 are pretty clear in that God does not change.

This then gives us the confidence that God's love will not change. God is love, so he is patient, kind, protecting, and never failing. And he will never change from this. He will always be loving and patient. And he will never fail.

Cheers,
Legoman

It shouldn't be forgotten though that a light shines brightest in the dark. There is a 'dark' side of God's attributes apart from which His love can be kind of drippy. God is just...and will not let sin go unpunished. Against this backdrop Christ bore the wrath due our sins; He suffered the hell we deserved etc., thus accentuating His love. His justice and His love should never be separated lest His work at Calvary be forgotten.

SIG
Sep 16th 2008, 03:25 AM
Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, {bless} His holy name.
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits;
Psa 103:3 Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases
Psa 103:4 Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Psa 103:5 Who satisfies your years with good things, {So that} your youth is renewed like the eagle.
Psa 103:6 The LORD performs righteous deeds And judgments for all who are oppressed.
Psa 103:7 He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of Israel.
Psa 103:8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.
Psa 103:9 He will not always strive {with us,} Nor will He keep {His anger} forever.
Psa 103:10 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
Psa 103:11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Psa 103:13 Just as a father has compassion on {his} children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.
Psa 103:14 For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are {but} dust.
Psa 103:15 As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
Psa 103:16 When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer.
Psa 103:17 But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children's children,
Psa 103:18 To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them.
Psa 103:19 The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.
Psa 103:20 Bless the LORD, you His angels, Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!
Psa 103:21 Bless the LORD, all you His hosts, You who serve Him, doing His will.
Psa 103:22 Bless the LORD, all you works of His, In all places of His dominion; Bless the LORD, O my soul!

RoadWarrior
Sep 16th 2008, 05:42 AM
Much better, Sig. Excellent, in fact.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to see what someone has learned from Hagar. Do you know who she was? The mother of Ishmael, and servant to Abraham's wife Sarah?

Duane Morse
Sep 16th 2008, 07:04 AM
Hi all,

8 Love never fails.

for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.

Cheers,
Legoman
it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

God does keep a record of wrongs (there are other books opened at the end, other than the Book of Life).
Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

God is easily angered, over any sin.

God is self-seeking, in that He advances His own ends - and to His ultimate end.

Personally, the more I have tried to follow Him, the more I have been let down.
I am 52 years old now. And it has only gotten worse over time.
I feel used, and to be discarded as dross at the end.

God has more attributes than your narrow-minded view affords.
Here is one:
Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

He does all this, for His own good pleasure. (look it up)
And that includes creating darkness and evil - and therefor, the inevitabilty of sin.

legoman
Sep 16th 2008, 07:36 PM

God does keep a record of wrongs (there are other books opened at the end, other than the Book of Life).
Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

God is self-seeking, in that He advances His own ends - and to His ultimate end.

God has more attributes than your narrow-minded view affords.
Here is one:
Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And that includes creating darkness and evil - and therefor, the inevitabilty of sin.

Hi Duane,

"Narrow-minded?" :hmm: I didn't mean to imply that's all God is... God is much to big to ever fully comprehend.

In fact that was just part A of my homework :) I see others have jumped in though. Do I get to cheat off their notes RoadWarrior? ;)

But as in the OP, it all starts with Love. Yes, God is love - but I guess you have a slightly different view.

Here as I see it is what we know for sure:

1. God is Love
2. God is Sovereign (All-powerful)
3. God is All-knowing
4. God is Just
AND
5. God has a master plan.

Point 5 ties it all together and is what affects us most directly. Oh, and yes I am quite familiar with Isaiah 45:7. Its all part of the master plan.

(I'm still looking into Hagar RoadWarrior)

Cheers,
Legoman

Duane Morse
Sep 16th 2008, 07:50 PM
Poor choice of words on my part, sorry.
But you can not discount other things like being jealous, wrathfull, vengefull.

Coptichristian
Sep 16th 2008, 08:03 PM
legoman,

Look into the doctrine of divine simplicity. Good stuff!

God's essential attributes are equally at work in all that He does. Thus, His justice and his love, for example, are interdependent. What do you think?

RoadWarrior
Sep 16th 2008, 08:19 PM
Gentlemen:

Please, use scriptures to point to why you believe a specific attribute of God.

The goal is not to just talk off the top of our heads, or use that which we have been taught by man.

The goal is to look into the Word and see what God has told us about Himself.

If you need more directions on Hagar, here is another tip. Read her story in Genesis chapter 16. Remember you are looking specifically for what she discovered about the character of God.

legoman
Sep 16th 2008, 09:09 PM
Good point RoadWarrior. I gotta run for now, but I will probably post again tomorrow with more scriptures for reference. And I've started reading through Genesis 16...

Good night all,
Legoman

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 17th 2008, 08:30 PM
The Nature of God? I would study the Person of Jesus the Christ.. The four Gospels that tell of His life and earthly Ministry, Death, Ressurection, and Ascension.

You see Jesus , you See the Father.. His nature and attributes.. for Jesus is God in the flesh.. the Fullness of the Godhead dwelt In Him Bodily...

God demonstrated His nature by Sending His only Begotten to this earth to Ransom His children and in the end.. to save this planet from perpetual destruction....

His Nature and Attributes are found in the Person of Jesus the Christ.......

Tanya~
Sep 17th 2008, 08:42 PM
One aspect of God's nature that stands out is that He is HOLY.

I love this passage, which speaks of God's holiness, but also of how He deals with us with mercy and compassion. I pray it will be an encouragement especially to you, Duane.

Isa 57:15-18

15 For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy :
"I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
16 For I will not contend forever,
Nor will I always be angry;
For the spirit would fail before Me,
And the souls which I have made.
17 For the iniquity of his covetousness
I was angry and struck him;
I hid and was angry,
And he went on backsliding in the way of his heart.
18 I have seen his ways, and will heal him;
I will also lead him,
And restore comforts to him
And to his mourners.
NKJV

SIG
Sep 18th 2008, 04:03 AM
Gen 16:13 Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "You are a God who sees"; for she said, "Have I even remained alive here after seeing Him?"

God sees all (is omniscient).

RoadWarrior
Sep 18th 2008, 04:31 AM
Gen 16:13 Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "You are a God who sees"; for she said, "Have I even remained alive here after seeing Him?"

God sees all (is omniscient).

Excellent Sig. God is a God who SEES! More specifically for Hagar, she realized that God saw her, when she was out in the wilderness in despair.

(Seeing is a little different from knowing. Let's keep looking, and be aware of differences of nuance as we go along.)

Focus for a bit on what it means, that God sees. For example, find every place in the Bible that talks about God seeing. I'll get you started with some links to "the eyes of the Lord". Go and read them in context. Get familiar with the stories of each one.

I'll be offline a day or so, and I look forward to reading what you all have learned about this characteristic of God.

Genesis 6:8
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 11:12
12 a land for which the Lord your God cares; the eyes of the Lord your God are always on it, from the beginning of the year to the very end of the year.

Deuteronomy 13:18
18 because you have listened to the voice of the Lord your God, to keep all His commandments which I command you today, to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord your God.

1 Samuel 26:24
24 And indeed, as your life was valued much this day in my eyes, so let my life be valued much in the eyes of the Lord, and let Him deliver me out of all tribulation."

2 Samuel 15:25
25 Then the king said to Zadok, "Carry the ark of God back into the city. If I find favor in the eyes of the Lord, He will bring me back and show me both it and His dwelling place.

1 Kings 15:5
5 because David did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

1 Kings 15:11
11 Asa did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, as did his father David.

1 Kings 16:25
25 Omri did evil in the eyes of the Lord, and did worse than all who were before him.

1 Kings 22:43
43 And he walked in all the ways of his father Asa. He did not turn aside from them, doing what was right in the eyes of the Lord. Nevertheless the high places were not taken away, for the people offered sacrifices and burned incense on the high places.

2 Chronicles 14:2
(1 Ki 15:9-15)
2 Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the Lord his God,

2 Chronicles 16:9
9 For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. In this you have done foolishly; therefore from now on you shall have wars."

2 Chronicles 29:6
6 For our fathers have trespassed and done evil in the eyes of the Lord our God; they have forsaken Him, have turned their faces away from the dwelling place of the Lord, and turned their backs on Him.

Psalms 34:15
15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
And His ears are open to their cry.

Proverbs 5:21
21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the Lord,
And He ponders all his paths.

Proverbs 15:3
3 The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

Proverbs 22:12
12 The eyes of the Lord preserve knowledge,
But He overthrows the words of the faithless.

Isaiah 49:5
5 "And now the Lord says,
Who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant,
To bring Jacob back to Him,
So that Israel is gathered to Him
(For I shall be glorious in the eyes of the Lord,
And My God shall be My strength),

Amos 9:8
8 "Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are on the sinful kingdom,
And I will destroy it from the face of the earth;
Yet I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,"
Says the Lord.

Zechariah 4:10
10 For who has despised the day of small things?
For these seven rejoice to see
The plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
They are the eyes of the Lord,
Which scan to and fro throughout the whole earth."

1 Peter 3:12
12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
And His ears are open to their prayers;
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."
NKJV

pastor_john
Sep 18th 2008, 08:25 AM
Concerning “what is the nature of GOD”

The Bible says: the fullness of GOD dwells bodily in Christ (Col2:9), that is, his divine nature, eternal power, and divine power. How are they related to us, who are pursuing eternal life?

When the things of GOD are manifested within one’s heart, one has the divine nature and the eternal power (Rom1:19-20). How to know the things of GOD? The Bible is the things of Jesus (Ac28:23).

Having known the LORD, one has the divine power (2Pe1:3). Then how to know the LORD? When the law is written in our hearts, we shall all know the LORD (Heb8:10-12, Jer31:33-34). Christ is the end or the total of the law (Rom10:4).

Perhaps my answer is a surprise to you. Hope this can be a new direction to us all. If you have trouble for this, feel free to contact me. Freely we have received, freely we will give (Mt10:8b).

RoadWarrior
Sep 18th 2008, 02:38 PM
Concerning “what is the nature of GOD”

The Bible says: the fullness of GOD dwells bodily in Christ (Col2:9), that is, his divine nature, eternal power, and divine power. How are they related to us, who are pursuing eternal life?

When the things of GOD are manifested within one’s heart, one has the divine nature and the eternal power (Rom1:19-20). How to know the things of GOD? The Bible is the things of Jesus (Ac28:23).

Having known the LORD, one has the divine power (2Pe1:3). Then how to know the LORD? When the law is written in our hearts, we shall all know the LORD (Heb8:10-12, Jer31:33-34). Christ is the end or the total of the law (Rom10:4).

Perhaps my answer is a surprise to you. Hope this can be a new direction to us all. If you have trouble for this, feel free to contact me. Freely we have received, freely we will give (Mt10:8b).

Thank you Pastor John. I think that your points are very good, and there are several threads that have gone around those a few times. That was the reason I urged the participants to go deeper, and to further explore the character of God. I know that the title says "nature" but it's a bit off from my original "homework" that I gave.

The true goal is to discover the character and personality of God as He has revealed Himself in scripture. There is much more to know about God than most of us have realized. We miss it because it is not on the surface, but deeper.

For example, Hagar recognized that He is a God who sees - not an idol made of wood who cannot see. But He SAW her, when she was out in the wilderness alone and desperately afraid. She felt rejected out of society, self-rejected if you notice her own actions. God saw her. Not only did He see her, He intervened in her life, gave her a personal experience of His presence, and told her what to do next. There are two incidences of God seeing her in the desert and intervening in her life.

Why is it important to realize that God sees us? Why is it important to know why the Bible says His eyes are roving to and fro over the earth seeking those whose hearts are loyal to Him? Why does He seek for that kind of person, and then strongly support that person.

He is complex and wonderful, but He has told us much about Himself. He really wants us to know Him, not just know about Him.

He has provided the truths about Himself, but we must do a bit of work to find them. You might say it's a bit like a treasure hunt.

In fact, it is in the very discovery of these truths about God, that they get written on our hearts. As we discover them, as we say, Ah hah! I see it! then it becomes something in our minds that strengthens us.

When I really know and understand that God sees me, as He also saw Hagar, it changes my thoughts about my behavior. It changes my self-pity to something that looks up to Him in supplication.

This then, is true Christianity. When we know Him and the power of His resurrection in our own lives.

pastor_john
Sep 18th 2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you Pastor John. I think that your points are very good, and there are several threads that have gone around those a few times. That was the reason I urged the participants to go deeper, and to further explore the character of God. I know that the title says "nature" but it's a bit off from my original "homework" that I gave.

The true goal is to discover the character and personality of God as He has revealed Himself in scripture. There is much more to know about God than most of us have realized. We miss it because it is not on the surface, but deeper.

For example, Hagar recognized that He is a God who sees - not an idol made of wood who cannot see. But He SAW her, when she was out in the wilderness alone and desperately afraid. She felt rejected out of society, self-rejected if you notice her own actions. God saw her. Not only did He see her, He intervened in her life, gave her a personal experience of His presence, and told her what to do next. There are two incidences of God seeing her in the desert and intervening in her life.

Why is it important to realize that God sees us? Why is it important to know why the Bible says His eyes are roving to and fro over the earth seeking those whose hearts are loyal to Him? Why does He seek for that kind of person, and then strongly support that person.

He is complex and wonderful, but He has told us much about Himself. He really wants us to know Him, not just know about Him.

He has provided the truths about Himself, but we must do a bit of work to find them. You might say it's a bit like a treasure hunt.

In fact, it is in the very discovery of these truths about God, that they get written on our hearts. As we discover them, as we say, Ah hah! I see it! then it becomes something in our minds that strengthens us.

When I really know and understand that God sees me, as He also saw Hagar, it changes my thoughts about my behavior. It changes my self-pity to something that looks up to Him in supplication.

This then, is true Christianity. When we know Him and the power of His resurrection in our own lives.
Thank you, Roadwarrior, for telling me that this post seems of some help. To be honest, I have never acted so actively on the internet like the last three days since I came across this website! Really like it!

Concerning the content of your post, I have remembered what an elderly servant of the LORD said, when he came to Jerimiah 32:17-19 in his preaching. The eyes of the LORD are open to the ways of all the mortals. He was shocked and awakened by this word. And his doings were changed ever since. In another preaching of his, he mentioned that the breath of life in our nostrils is the LORD GOD (Gen2:7). Well, I was shocked and awakened! Since He is a GOD so nearby, and just my life, whatever I do is really open to His eyes! David was saying: O LORD You have searched me and known me; you know when I sit down and when I rise up; you are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely (Ps139:1-4). Pray: may the LORD give us each such knowledge of Him! And His guidance be with us for His will to be done upon us! Amen.

RoadWarrior
Sep 18th 2008, 03:38 PM
Thank you, Roadwarrior, for telling me that this post seems of some help. To be honest, I have never acted so actively on the internet like the last three days since I came across this website! Really like it!

Concerning the content of your post, I have remembered what an elderly servant of the LORD said, when he came to Jerimiah 32:17-19 in his preaching. The eyes of the LORD are open to the ways of all the mortals. He was shocked and awakened by this word. And his doings were changed ever since. In another preaching of his, he mentioned that the breath of life in our nostrils is the LORD GOD (Gen2:7). Well, I was shocked and awakened! Since He is a GOD so nearby, and just my life, whatever I do is really open to His eyes! David was saying: O LORD You have searched me and known me; you know when I sit down and when I rise up; you are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely (Ps139:1-4). Pray: may the LORD give us each such knowledge of Him! And His guidance be with us for His will to be done upon us! Amen.

I am glad that you are enjoying the board. We have people from a variety of persuasions here, so you'll find lots of opportunity to discuss (even debate) if that appeals to you. We all come with what we have learned or been told, or what God has revealed of His word in our own lives.

Your contributions are valuable! What is most valuable is what you have experienced and walked out in your own life. If you have not already done so, you might put a post in intro telling a bit about yourself and how you found our board. Also, we have a testimony section, if you'd like to tell us how you found Jesus, or maybe it is better said, where it was that Jesus found you.

My own passion is that we search the scriptures to know and understand them so well that they become truly written in our minds and on our hearts. When that is fully true of me, then the truths of God will be the shoes on my feet, nay the very muscles in my feet, as I walk in Him.

drew
Sep 18th 2008, 04:11 PM
I believe that no one has yet focused on God's characteristic of being a creator. Some people get uneasy about this aspect of God, thinking that it might lead to "nature" worship.

Nevertheless, the Scriptures do indeed focus on "God as creator". While we all acknowledge the creative acts entailed by the creation account of Genesis, we should not forget that, with the resurrection of Christ, God initiated a round of new creation that is still going on. This fact is often missed.

Jesus' resurrection did not only demonstrate His divinity. Nor did it only show us that we who believe in Him will be likewise raised.

Jesus' resurrection was the launching pad of an entirely new round of creative activity on the part of God. And this is not only in the "lives of people" - His new creation affects the entire cosmos.

Remember that Jesus is raised on the first day of a new week - the 8th day as it were. And I do not think it is a coincidence that He is mistaken for the gardener.

Because in a very real sense, He is a gardener. He is sowing the seeds of new creation which will reach their final (future) climax when (as per Isaiah 55):

You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
13 Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the LORD's renown,
for an everlasting sign,
which will not be destroyed."

SIG
Sep 19th 2008, 02:03 AM
Jhn 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and *said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!"
Jhn 1:48 Nathanael *said to Him, "How do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."
Jhn 1:49 Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."
Jhn 1:50 Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these."

legoman
Sep 19th 2008, 02:11 AM
Hi all,

Just continuing on from my previous post:

1. God is Love - God is the very definition of Love
This was covered in the OP, but for review, we know God is Kind, not envious, not proud, not boastful. God will never fail. God tells us to love your enemies:

Matthew 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

And of course God sent his son for our sins, so that we should not perish, but have eternal life. The ultimate in love!

2. God is Sovereign (All-powerful)
There are literally hundreds of verses that refer to our "sovereign LORD".

What does it mean to be sovereign? Here are some dictionary definition of sovereign: supreme, supreme power, supreme excellency, one that exercises supreme authority within a limited sphere

God is the supreme authority. No one is above him. No one is like him.

Isaiah 46:
9 Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.

2 Samuel 7:
18 Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said:
"Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 19 And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign LORD, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD? 20 "What more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Sovereign LORD. 21 For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant.
22 "How great you are, O Sovereign LORD! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.

God knows us each individually. He knows his servants, which leads to...

3. God is All-knowing

Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Psalm 139:
1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

These verses are powerful. God knows everything at every moment in time. God knows us completely. He knows out thoughts, all of our days. He even knit us together in the womb! (God is the creator)

Genesis 16 (Hagar) would fit in here as well as God sees all.

4. God is Just

God is love, and God is just. His justice is tempered with love, in that he sent his son to atone for our sins.

1 John 3:
4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

Romans 9:
14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!
15 For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

5. God has a master plan.

God has a plan for each of us. God has a plan for everything. There is a purpose for everything that happens:

Ephesians 1:11 In him we were also chosen,having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

Isaiah 46:11 Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.

Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny[d (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=10&version=31#fen-NIV-23447d)]? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

These verses are amazing to me. God works out everything according to his purpose and will. Not even a sparrow will fall to the ground, unless the Lord wills it! Even the hairs on our head are accounted for. But then we are reassured, do not be afraid, because we are worth more than the sparrows! What he is saying is that he has a plan, so we needn't be worried.

Matthew 625 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

These are words to live by. He is telling us not to worry about the things of life, God has a plan for us and will take care of us. Even when trials come and things are looking down, God will carry us.

God's plan ties back to the other 4 points. He has a perfect master plan because is sovereign and all-knowing. And his perfect plan will be loving and just.

Its wonderful when you start to lay it all out.

Cheers,
Legoman

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 19th 2008, 03:03 AM
Here are some of my favorite verses regarding His nature :)

And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth
Exodus 34: 5-6

BadDog
Sep 20th 2008, 01:37 AM
Hi all,

8 Love never fails.

for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.

Cheers,
LegomanJust FYI, there was a thread on the attributes of God about 3 years ago or so, and one thing we were looking for were scriptures - to memorize. Here's the thread:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=30296&highlight=omniscience

(Hide em in your heart - SM - Attributes of God)

Have fun - great topic for research.

BD

Equipped_4_Love
Sep 21st 2008, 05:50 AM
Hi, Duane;

Your post raises an interesting question. We know, of course, that 2 of the main attributes of God are love and righteousness.

We can probably go so far as even to say that all of God's attributes stem from these...He is just because He is righteous, and He is merciful because He is loving.

I guess the next question would be, what takes priority, God's mercy, or His justice? This is an astounding question, really, because for those who are unsaved, God's justice takes precedence...He may love the sinner, but He cannot excuse His sin.
On the other hand, for those who are saved, His mercy (love) takes precedence, because He was willing to take the punishment upon Himself...if he hadn't taken this punishment upon Himself, He would have been forced to cast us aside, as well, because of His justice.

So, then, it seems to me that, in a sense, God's justice takes precedence. This justice is a result of His holiness, which is the characteristic that really defines His nature...but then, is it possible to be holy without also being loving? Is loving a natural result of holiness? Holiness is ultimate perfection, and the Bible talks about God's love being perfect, also:

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love

Is it possible to be holy and unloving at the same time? I don't really think so.

While the Bible does say that God does not keep any record of wrongs, this is only the case with those who are saved. For those who are unsaved, they are judged by the law....a record of their wrongs is kept by God, and they will be judged according to all of their works and evil deeds, but for those saved by grace, Christ has already been judged for us.

I guess one can say that when Christ paid the penalty for our sins, that's when we were judged:

John 3:18 He who believes in Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

While this is true, the Bible also says that God is slow to anger, and quick to forgive.

Sin does anger God....this is the righteous wrath of God. Even so, God poured out His wrath upon Christ so that we could be made perfect in Him, and enjoy a relationship with Him. His justice was not foregone when He acted in love:

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the Father to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When you make His soul an offering for sin......

It pleased God the Father, not only because it satisfied the righteous requirements of justice, but also because it was an act of love and mercy that would bring us into restored fellowship with Him.

God's anger has already been poured out on Christ....all that is for the Christian to experience is divine love and mercy.

That is true....which is another characteristic of God. He is sovereign. Everything that happens does so to fulfill God's ultimate purposes. I solemnly believe that all of the evil that happened in my life before I was saved was allowed for the purpose of bringing me back to Christ. It's just like Joseph said to his brothers....what Satan intended for evil, God intended for good.
God is self-seeking, yes....He is the self-sufficient creator of the universe, perfect and holy, and demands to be worshipped and glorified. Everything happens for the glory of God....but that also includes our own glorification.

So, then, I guess one could say that even Christ's death on the cross was, to a point, self-seeking, in that through His death and resurrection, He would conquer Satan and became glorified; even so, this does not discount the fact that His love playes strongly in the equation. If it weren't for His love, He would never have gone to the cross, which means that He would never have been glorified.
It is His love that initially draws us to Him...not His holiness or His righteousness.

1 John 4:19 We love Him because he first loved us.

So, then, while it is true that God is self-seeking, and does things that He may be glorified, it is this motive that also allows us to be glorified through Him.

I am so sorry to hear that, Duane. I have been blessed on more than one occasion by your insightful and articulate posts.

I would actually love to know what the word "create" means in these 2 verses...is it the same "create" as ex-nihilo, as in the Genesis account, or is it creating something out of materials that already exist. If the latter is the case, would it not suffice to say that darkness and evil exist as counterparts to light and peace? Such a dichotomy would be the natural result of a reality which involves free will.

I know the verse to which you are referring, but are you sure that the word pleasure has more of a connotation of necessity rather than joy.....as in, God does not take pleasure in sin, but He uses it as a means to carry out His divine will?
For example, in the verse I quoted above, where it says that it pleased the Father to bruise Him....we know that the Father did not take delight in punishing the Son, but it pleased Him in that it fulfilled the righteous requirements of salvation.

If He does this for His own good pleasure....could this not mean that he does this in order that His divine will be carried out?

Anyhow, I guess the way I interpret it....we can judge every action of God by some characteristic of His nature. There are so many charactersistics, but I think the overall defining one is holiness, which defines both His righteousness and His love.

BadDog
Sep 21st 2008, 10:11 PM
Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, {bless} His holy name.
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits;
Psa 103:3 Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases
Psa 103:4 Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Psa 103:5 Who satisfies your years with good things, {So that} your youth is renewed like the eagle.
Psa 103:6 The LORD performs righteous deeds And judgments for all who are oppressed.
Psa 103:7 He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of Israel.
Psa 103:8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.
Psa 103:9 He will not always strive {with us,} Nor will He keep {His anger} forever.
Psa 103:10 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
Psa 103:11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Psa 103:13 Just as a father has compassion on {his} children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.
Psa 103:14 For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are {but} dust.
Psa 103:15 As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
Psa 103:16 When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer.
Psa 103:17 But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children's children,
Psa 103:18 To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them.
Psa 103:19 The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.
Psa 103:20 Bless the LORD, you His angels, Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!
Psa 103:21 Bless the LORD, all you His hosts, You who serve Him, doing His will.
Psa 103:22 Bless the LORD, all you works of His, In all places of His dominion; Bless the LORD, O my soul!
SIG,

Psa 103 is a great Psalm to memorize. I don't in general recommend memorizing large passages of scripture, but to choose more reasonable bites... but this one is nice. A friend of mine and I memorized it once as part of a discipleship challenge (He was D-ing me.).

BD

BadDog
Sep 21st 2008, 10:12 PM
Gentlemen:

Please, use scriptures to point to why you believe a specific attribute of God.

The goal is not to just talk off the top of our heads, or use that which we have been taught by man.

The goal is to look into the Word and see what God has told us about Himself.

If you need more directions on Hagar, here is another tip. Read her story in Genesis chapter 16. Remember you are looking specifically for what she discovered about the character of God.RW, I love the way you think... you're thinking like a teacher, which I'm gonna guess is your profession as well.

BD

SIG
Sep 21st 2008, 11:08 PM
SIG,

Psa 103 is a great Psalm to memorize. I don't in general recommend memorizing large passages of scripture, but to choose more reasonable bites... but this one is nice. A friend of mine and I memorized it once as part of a discipleship challenge (He was D-ing me.).

BD

I also once memorized it...but don't test me now ;)

RoadWarrior
Sep 22nd 2008, 01:39 AM
RW, I love the way you think... you're thinking like a teacher, which I'm gonna guess is your profession as well.

BD

:) Thank you for the compliment. No, I'm not a teacher, although I might have been if my life had played out differently.

I do have a passion that Christians should learn what it is that we believe and why we believe it. It does not rest in one or two doctrines or a handful of scriptures, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. We have the whole Bible, yet we know very little of it.

Marking my Bible became an activity early in my walk with Him. I highlighted passages which spoke to me, and made notes in the margins as I learned things.

It was a source of great anguish to me that no one taught me early in life when I first came to the Lord, how to study the Bible, how to use a concordance, and how to pray the scriptures. Without that knowledge,
I wandered like a stranger in the world. So it is my heart that others in my sphere of influence should learn these things.

Thank you for your contribution as well.