PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Life or death

Debra R
Sep 16th 2008, 03:43 AM
Something that crosses my mind once in awhile thinking on these verses......

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

John 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world."

We who believe in Jesus have eternal life and those who do not believe will not have eternal life. The opposite of life is death. I know the scriptures that speak of hell. But what I'm wondering is this, those that don''t believe will they just have eternal death? They will perish from the earth? Or will they spend eternity in hell?

What are your thoughts on these scriptures?

crossnote
Sep 16th 2008, 04:56 AM

We who believe in Jesus have eternal life and those who do not believe will not have eternal life. The opposite of life is death. I know the scriptures that speak of hell. But what I'm wondering is this, those that don''t believe will they just have eternal death? They will perish from the earth? Or will they spend eternity in hell?

It looks like unbelevers are put in hell and hell is put into the Lake of Fire.

Revelation 20:14-15 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

A place Nathaniel will never have to experience.

pastor_john
Sep 16th 2008, 01:45 PM

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

John 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world."

Like the verses very much. According to Deut 30:19-20, the LORD is our life. According to Deut 32:45-47, the law is our life. Why? The law is the name of the LORD (Deut28:58). When the law is written in the heart, one shall know the LORD (Heb8:11-12). The LORD is the word of GOD our Savior (Ti2:10). The Son of GOD is the word of GOD (Heb11:3,1:1-2). So, he who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of GOD does not have life (1Jn5:10-12). Please bear in mind: Jesus is the word of GOD, not the word of men!
This is my thought on your scriptures.Blessings!

drew
Sep 16th 2008, 02:21 PM

Probably against the majority, I believe that the overall scriptural picture indicates that the lost will, in fact, be annihilated and not spend an eternity in conscious torment.

The scriptures are full of allusions to the lost being "consumed away", etc. And I wonder how it is people take a statement like "the wages of sin is death" and effectively interpret it as "the wages of sin is eternal existence in conscious torment". People often refer to the "Biblical definition" that death means "separation from God". I have searched high and low for such a definition and cannot find it. To me "death" means what it normally means - death.

This is a complicated issue and there are arguments for both sides. On the whole, though, I think the annihilation position is much more strongly supported than the eternal torment position.

Debra R
Sep 16th 2008, 10:49 PM
:) Thank you all for your answers.

Mograce2U
Sep 18th 2008, 02:55 AM
Hi Debra,
I have thought about this too and am not all that well prepared to discuss it from scripture but I did find several passages like this one:

(Prov 24:20 KJV) For there shall be no reward to the evil man; the candle of the wicked shall be put out.

We know that death is the penalty for sin and that all men die. All men however do not have the hope of rising again - but only those to whom the promise was given in covenant. Among those are just and unjust men who will be judged for their works. I am thinking that of those who are deemed unjust in the resurrection, the 2nd death awaits. And part of the new covenant promise is that we will never face that judgment.

But God also sends judgment in this life - and Noah's flood was sent upon a world given over to violence. Are those men to rise again to face another judgment when the flood already judged them? I think not, rather death holds them.

(Job 27:8 KJV) For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he hath gained, when God taketh away his soul?

(Job 27:13 KJV) This is the portion of a wicked man with God, and the heritage of oppressors, which they shall receive of the Almighty.

(Job 27:19 KJV) The rich man shall lie down, but he shall not be gathered: he openeth his eyes, and he is not.

I think eternal torment is for those who were given the promise of rising again, for their souls were made eternal in the resurrection.

pastor_john
Sep 18th 2008, 09:04 AM
Here is another thought:

[QUOTE...
Proverbs 18:21 "Death and Life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit...
QUOTE]

I will focus on why death and life are in the power of the tongue.

To speak the word of GOD in the Holy Spirit, the breath of the word is the Holy Spirit (Jn20:21-22), the same breath in our nostrils (Gen2:7), so that we can be joined to the LORD in an ever-lasting covenant (Jer50:4-5). Those who are united with the LORD are one spirit with Him (1Co6:17). The prophets who spoke the word of GOD were taken up to heaven and are dwelling up there (Heb12:22-23, Rev13:6), and they will come with Jesus (Zach14:5b, Jude14-16, 1Th3:13, 4:13-14).

To speak the words of men, that is, the things of men, which belong to satan (Mt16:23), and satan is the one who has the power of death (Heb2:14). That's why men die. The wages of sin is death (Rom6:23), and sin is lawlessness (1Jn3:4), and the Bible is a book of the law (2Ki17:13, Dan9:9-11, Ac24:!4). Today, both believers and non-believers are speaking away from the Bible. Therefore, death has come upon both.

Life is in the Bible; the Bible testifies to Jesus, for the words of the Bible which are explained are Jesus himself (Lk24:25-27)--the word of GOD our Savior (Ti2:9-10). As we see the evidence of Jesus in the Bible, we have eternal life (Jn5:39-40). Yet so many have believed in Jesus, and also have forsaken Jesus. The flesh of Jesus ascended to heaven, and on earth he is the word of GOD spoken from the Scripture.

Blessings!
Pastor J