PDA

View Full Version : Untimely Deaths?

CanadianSlash
Sep 17th 2008, 08:13 PM
DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS?

Death is certain but the Bible speaks about untimely death!

Make a personal reflection about this.....
Very interesting, read until the end.....

It is written in the Bible (Galatians 6:7):
'Be not deceived; God is not mocked:
for whatsoever a man sow,
that shall he also reap.

Here are some men and women
who mocked God :

John Lennon (Singer):
Some years before, during his interview with an American Magazine, he said:

'Christianity will end, it will disappear.
I do not have to argue about that.
I am certain.
Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple, today we are more famous than Him' (1966).

Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.

Tancredo Neves (President of Brazil ):

During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500,000 votes from his party, not even God would remove him from Presidency.
Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made President, then he died.

Cazuza (Bi-sexual Brazilian composer, singer and poet):

During A show in Canecio ( Rio de Janeiro ),
while smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said:'God, that's for you.'

He died at the age of 32 of LUNG CANCER in a horrible manner.

The man who built the Titanic
After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be.
With an ironic tone he said:
'Not even God can sink it'

The result: I think you all know what happened to the Titanic

!
< div class=MsoNormal style='TEXT-ALIGN: center' align=center>Marilyn Monroe (Actress)

She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show.
He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.
After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said: I don't need your Jesus'.

A week later, she was found dead in her apartment

Bon Scott (Singer)
The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang:
'Don't stop me; I'm going down all the way, down the highway to hell'.

On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his own vomit.

Campinas (IN 2005)
In Campinas , Brazil a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend.....
The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter holding her hand, who was already seated in the car:

'My Daughter, Go With God And May He Protect You.'
She responded: 'Only If He (God) Travels In The Trunk, Cause Inside Here.....It's Already Full '
Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died,
the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the trunk was intact.
The police said there was no way the trunk could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the trunk was a crate of eggs, none was broken

Christine Hewitt (Jamaican Journalist and entertainer)
said the Bible (Word of God) was the worst book ever written.
In June 2006 she was found burnt beyond recognition in her motor vehicle.

Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other name that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus.
Many have died, but only Jesus died and rose again, and ! he is st ill alive.

'Jesus'

It's from an email i received from a friend. I liked the bit about the trunk. I thought that was pretty cool.

9Marksfan
Sep 17th 2008, 08:28 PM
These are fascinating stories but nowhere is there any reference to the Bible mentioning untimely deaths - I can't think of any passage - am I missing something? And how would you define "untimely"?

CanadianSlash
Sep 17th 2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, i was like >___> about that too, but the stories themselves are interesting.

Marc B
Sep 17th 2008, 11:51 PM
Well actually there are references to people who God killed on the spot for lying to Him when He spoke to them. I can't recall where but it was in the OT, most likely in Genesis or Exodus.

Interesting that the Titanic didn't just sink but was broken in two. :hmm:

lendtay
Sep 17th 2008, 11:56 PM
Are these actual facts? Have you checked them out with snopes.com? Some sound like urban legends.

I know the one about John Lennon is true, but he made those comments many years before his death.

CoffeeCat
Sep 18th 2008, 12:36 AM
No, they're not actually accurate facts. They're either urban legends or have been told incorrectly with the examples given taken fairly out of context. For example, with the Titanic (and I'm an amateur Titanic historian, so that one made me cringe).... it was widely assumed that the Titanic was unsinkable, and many people may have said similar things to that effect (Oympic and Titanic pamphlets from White Star Line even USED the word "unsinkable", but NO men responsible for building the Titanic (especially not Thomas Andrews) said anything like "Not even God can sink it" or "God Himself cannot sink this ship". They ALL knew that sea tragedies were possible and that ANYTHING on open water is sinkable..... they just didn't think it would happen. Bruce Ismay, chairman of the White Star Line, may have privately expressed opinions that could have invoked God to passengers on board.... but he NEVER did so in an official press release. And even his flipping his mouth around with passengers has passed into legend, but there's no reporter he said that to.

Those responsible FOR the Titanic DID make plenty of mistakes (overconfidence, arrogance, the assumption that "watertight" somehow meant "secure and nearly unsinkable", far too few lifeboats for the number of passengers on board and that maiden voyage being Smith's last before retirement).... and they, as well as Ismay, were blamed for them at the Inquiries following.

Sorry for the ramble. I had to. ;)

I'm not entirely sure what these examples, true or false, have to do with untimely death and there being a Biblical connection somehow.... not all, throughout history, who mock God HAVE received an early death. And there are many who die early in life who don't mock Him.

livingword26
Sep 18th 2008, 12:46 AM
Well actually there are references to people who God killed on the spot for lying to Him when He spoke to them.

Act 5:1-5
(1) But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
(2) And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
(3) But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
(4) While it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
(5) And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

Marc B
Sep 18th 2008, 12:57 AM
Good find! Great example of an untimely death.

IPet2_9
Sep 18th 2008, 05:57 AM
When I first read the subject line, I thought I was going to read stories like Elizabeth Eliot's husband who got murdered on the mission field (followed by the question of why God allows this to happen).

9Marksfan
Sep 18th 2008, 08:48 AM
I eas just thinking - IS there such a thing as an "untimely" death? Untimely = premature - but who is in control of our lifespan if not God?

...and in Your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when as there were yet none of them. Ps 139:16b NKJV

Ayala
Sep 18th 2008, 09:38 AM
Tomorrow is guarantee to no man..

Sold Out
Sep 18th 2008, 02:46 PM
These are fascinating stories but nowhere is there any reference to the Bible mentioning untimely deaths - I can't think of any passage - am I missing something? And how would you define "untimely"?

I believe a Christian can bring about his/her premature death for two reasons:

1 - Partaking of the Lord's Supper improperly

"Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep." I Corinthians 11:27-30

2 - Failure to stop sinning willfully

"It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus." I Cor 5:1-5

Joe King
Sep 18th 2008, 11:07 PM
I eas just thinking - IS there such a thing as an "untimely" death? Untimely = premature - but who is in control of our lifespan if not God?

...and in Your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when as there were yet none of them. Ps 139:16b NKJV

That's what I thought the first response to this thread would be.

As for those people that blasphemed God and it looks like they got punished, but they are still under the grace of Jesus. We don't know if they accepted Christ before they died. We could very well see them in heaven.

I have blasphemed God many times and I thank him for his enduring love and patience because I would have been struck down a long time ago.

YoungLink
Sep 18th 2008, 11:23 PM
How do resurrections fit in with untimely deaths? Is it God's will for those deaths to have occurred?

9Marksfan
Sep 19th 2008, 10:57 PM
How do resurrections fit in with untimely deaths?

How do you mean? if the person was saved but given the ultimate discipline, they will still be raised - but it is arguable that their resurrection will not be as good as if they had lived a more obedient life (Heb 11:35b).

Is it God's will for those deaths to have occurred?

Yes - every time.

Esperanza32
Sep 20th 2008, 01:30 PM
Yes - every time.[/quote]

Whoa....I think that's going a bit far. All things (including death) are ultimately in God's control, but we live in a sinful world. God lets us experience the consequences of our sins (and the sin of everyone else in the world). Untimely death is not always (or even usually) God's will...not everything that happens is God's will.

The most "untimely" death is an abortion...and I doubt that is EVER God's will.

(Please forgive me if I took your thoughts out of context--that was not my intention.)

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 20th 2008, 04:47 PM
Speaking of untimely deaths, what about in 1 Corinthians chapter 5 where Paul talks of delivering an immoral person "unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus" in verse 5?

YoungLink
Sep 20th 2008, 08:30 PM
How do you mean? if the person was saved but given the ultimate discipline, they will still be raised - but it is arguable that their resurrection will not be as good as if they had lived a more obedient life (Heb 11:35b).

Yes - every time.

I really meant anyone ressurected physically. I heard a teaching a while ago that made me think a little about this, like when Jesus resurrected the dead. I don't [currently haha] believe that death is necessarily God's will.
I'm sure that He will use it in His plan, but I don't necessarily think that He willed it.
Esperanza32 I'd never thought about abortion in that context actually, yeah I am sure that it is not God's will, even though it is ultimately in His hands.

I don't know about the reference in 1 Cor. 5, the NIV translates it as "so the sinful nature may be destroyed" instead of "flesh". I don't know which is the best translation, but does this actually mean physical death? I've personally never thought of it that way.

Semi-tortured
Sep 21st 2008, 04:20 AM
I find this to be a very dangerous thread. For anyone to think in terms where they believe God is doing certain things on purpose for certain things someone did in their life...we are all sinners. There are so many people that have said many, many offensive things to and about God that lived to ripe old ages. They just didn't happen to be as famous as some of these indivduals. I think we should worry about our own lives and not sit there and talk about God striking people down for something they said at some point in their lives. Jeez.

Marc B
Sep 21st 2008, 03:53 PM
Speaking of untimely deaths, what about in 1 Corinthians chapter 5 where Paul talks of delivering an immoral person "unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus" in verse 5?

Sounds like someone to be killed in the flesh for their sin mentioned in verses 1-4 only to be saved at resurrection [in the day of the Lord], upon repentance of course.

9Marksfan
Sep 22nd 2008, 11:23 AM
Yes - every time.

Whoa....I think that's going a bit far. All things (including death) are ultimately in God's control,[/quote]

That's what I meant.

but we live in a sinful world. God lets us experience the consequences of our sins (and the sin of everyone else in the world). Untimely death is not always (or even usually) God's will...

How can you say that?

not everything that happens is God's will.

What do you mean by God's will? What He would ideally like? Or what He brings about or permits to further His purposes?

The most "untimely" death is an abortion...and I doubt that is EVER God's will.

In terms of "wish/desire", I agree - but was Jesus' unjust death at the hands of wicked men God's will?

(Please forgive me if I took your thoughts out of context--that was not my intention.)

Thanks - I think it is a question of understanding what "God'e will" means - if we are saying that God is powerless to prevent people either dying or being killed befoe old age, then you have to ask yourself whether you DO believe that "all things (inclusing death) are ultimately in God's control"....

9Marksfan
Sep 22nd 2008, 11:25 AM
I find this to be a very dangerous thread. For anyone to think in terms where they believe God is doing certain things on purpose for certain things someone did in their life...we are all sinners. There are so many people that have said many, many offensive things to and about God that lived to ripe old ages. They just didn't happen to be as famous as some of these indivduals. I think we should worry about our own lives and not sit there and talk about God striking people down for something they said at some point in their lives. Jeez.

I agree - but do you realise what your last word is short for?

9Marksfan
Sep 22nd 2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds like someone to be killed in the flesh for their sin mentioned in verses 1-4 only to be saved at resurrection [in the day of the Lord], upon repentance of course.

But where does it say that we can repent after we die?

Esperanza32
Sep 22nd 2008, 02:34 PM
Whoa....I think that's going a bit far. All things (including death) are ultimately in God's control,

That's what I meant.

How can you say that?

What do you mean by God's will? What He would ideally like? Or what He brings about or permits to further His purposes?

In terms of "wish/desire", I agree - but was Jesus' unjust death at the hands of wicked men God's will?

Thanks - I think it is a question of understanding what "God'e will" means - if we are saying that God is powerless to prevent people either dying or being killed befoe old age, then you have to ask yourself whether you DO believe that "all things (inclusing death) are ultimately in God's control"....[/quote]

What I mean is...ultimately, God CAN do whatever he wants (of course!)...but, he usually chooses to let us choose whether to obey him or not. He's chosen to let us live in a fallen world, and we have to deal with the consequences of our fallenness until Jesus comes again. He would not have said "Do not commit murder" if such a thing were ever within his will. Jesus would not teach us to pray "Thy will be done" if God's will had already come to complete fruition in this world.

God allows us the freedom to sin (including murder), even though every sin is against his will. He lets us experience the consequences of our sinful nature in this world, though it grieves him. Many untimely deaths are a result of living in a sinful world.

All things work together for the good of those who love God--meaning that God can bring good out of any mess we make--but this doesn't mean that everything that happens is God's will. "Everything happens for a reason" is not biblical (that I know of). Sometimes *stuff* happens just because we live in a sinful world.

A little girl in my church died of a brain tumor last year. A teenager in my church was murdered the year before. My friend's baby died of SIDS. Although God worked good out of all those situations, I don't believe that those deaths were "God's will" but rather a result of living in a fallen world. I believe God grieved along with the rest of us. After all, wasn't that the whole point of Jesus' death and resurrection--to conquer death (untimely or not) once and for all?

I'm not trying to pick a fight; I know it's not safe to disagree on these boards, and I usually regret posting anything. But maybe that can clarify what I meant.

:)