PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Historical documentation supporting the Bible being true

Fighting Instinct
Sep 18th 2008, 06:06 PM
I am really trying to find some historical documentation or writings that would help support the truth found in the Bible. I know it exists, but I am having some trouble finding some. Does anyone have any links or can you post some things that would help me here? Thanks.

keck553
Sep 18th 2008, 06:14 PM
There's lots (seen the Naked Archeologist lately?), but the best proof is knowing Jesus personally. It's hard to deny someone you know.

Clay Blucher
Sep 18th 2008, 06:30 PM
Exactly as said above, the better bet is on the person of Jesus. Origen was criticized by pagans for not explaining Christianity in terms of philosophies, what was important for the Greeks. Instead Origen said that our faith is based upon an historic event and not a man-made philosophy. It is in the resurrection which demonstrates the truthfulness of Christianity, and that cannot be demonstrated except by way of faith. Truth is found in Christ and Christ's actions and words.

David Taylor
Sep 18th 2008, 07:37 PM
I am really trying to find some historical documentation or writings that would help support the truth found in the Bible.

Well, how about the fact that the Bible has the most existing copies by far of itself, than any other ancient book? Somewhere between 10,000 to 50,000 fragments. (Yet Homer's Illead has maybe 2, yet we accept it as historical)

What about the fact that the Bible itself, has been written about or quoted from in literature, poetry, drama, and song more than any other document written by the hand of men combined?

Just not really sure exactly what you are looking for, to be able to help.

IPet2_9
Sep 18th 2008, 07:57 PM
I am really trying to find some historical documentation or writings that would help support the truth found in the Bible.I strongly recommend "The Case for Christ", by Lee Stroebel. Read the first 3 chapters. The historical documentation you are looking for can be found there.

Fighting Instinct
Sep 18th 2008, 10:05 PM
Well, how about the fact that the Bible has the most existing copies by far of itself, than any other ancient book? Somewhere between 10,000 to 50,000 fragments. (Yet Homer's Illead has maybe 2, yet we accept it as historical)

What about the fact that the Bible itself, has been written about or quoted from in literature, poetry, drama, and song more than any other document written by the hand of men combined?

Just not really sure exactly what you are looking for, to be able to help.

That really doesn't support the truth in it. It merely shows it was written. I got caught in the same trap.

I strongly recommend "The Case for Christ", by Lee Stroebel. Read the first 3 chapters. The historical documentation you are looking for can be found there.

Thanks.:D

ananias
Sep 18th 2008, 10:12 PM
I am really trying to find some historical documentation or writings that would help support the truth found in the Bible. I know it exists, but I am having some trouble finding some. Does anyone have any links or can you post some things that would help me here? Thanks.

Here are some facts:

http://completewordblindfaith.blogspot.com/

ananias

SIG
Sep 18th 2008, 11:02 PM
1. Establish that it was transmitted accurately (the Dead Sea scrolls contained the earliest full manuscript of Isaiah, which matched MUCH later copies).

2. Look at prophecies fulfilled (many).

3. Note its consistency, despite 40 authors writing over a period of 2000 years.

Compelling evidence.

For more, try "Evidence That Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell.

moonglow
Sep 19th 2008, 12:15 AM
Actually the dead sea scrolls contain all the books in the OT except for Ester which was accidentally destroyed after it was found. I did a thread on the board on this that includes alot of links that should help: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=120402&

This site should also help too: http://www.bible-history.com/

Archaeology is one of the strongest areas of proving the bible..proving the people the places and events actually happened as described in the bible and they are constantly finding new things too.

God bless

Fighting Instinct
Sep 19th 2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks guys! This helps a ton!!! :)

Roelof
Sep 19th 2008, 01:18 PM
I googled "Bible proved' and found 4 million articles !!!

Here is one for you:

TODAY'S SCIENCE PROVES...http://www.neaiga.org/BibleC1light4k.gif
KJV BIBLE IS CORRECT

http://www.neaiga.org/Bible%20Proved.htm

Sold Out
Sep 19th 2008, 06:05 PM

Look these up:

Larsa-Weld Prism
Giglamesh Tablet
Temptation Seal
Adam & Eve Seal (or tablet...can't remember)

Rhyfelwr
Sep 19th 2008, 11:17 PM
Look these up:

Larsa-Weld Prism
Giglamesh Tablet
Temptation Seal
Adam & Eve Seal (or tablet...can't remember)

Wow...

Just looked those up. I had know idea there was proof of the 'fire and brimstone' over Soddom and Gamorrah.

zombieCat
Sep 21st 2008, 03:38 AM
I strongly recommend "The Case for Christ", by Lee Stroebel. Read the first 3 chapters. The historical documentation you are looking for can be found there.I have read several of Strobel's "The Case for [insert latest title]" and don't find them to be the panacea that most Christians do. Aside from being rather contrived, the "journalistic" approach he takes is quite weak. Someone who is honestly seeking truth interviews people on both sides of the argument and sees where the evidence leads. Strobel's interviews are done entirely with people with whom he fundamentally agrees. A bit too straw-man for my liking. If the case is indeed so solid, including interviews with true skeptics would have bolstered his points. The fact that no such interviews were included tends to make one think that the case isn't quite as solid as we're lead to believe.

zombieCat
Sep 21st 2008, 04:13 AM
Well, how about the fact that the Bible has the most existing copies by far of itself, than any other ancient book? Somewhere between 10,000 to 50,000 fragments. (Yet Homer's Illead has maybe 2, yet we accept it as historical)In and of itself, this argument doesn't really prove whether what was written is true, merely that people know how to copy jot-for-jot and tittle-for-tittle, and that there were a lot of people to do so. As for the Iliad, it's accepted that Homer wrote it, but it's not accepted as historically accurate as the Bible is supposed to be. The implications of whether the Iliad is an accurate historical account are nil, so 2 copies are enough to say, "Meh, that's a nice legendary tale, close enough." There's no compelling reason to care whether the stories are dead-on accurate, so more than 2 copies don't matter. If Homer were attempting to get people to follow a cause based on what he wrote, I'm sure there would be many more copies.

This only shows that a lot of people believe and like it, not that it is indeed true.

SIG
Sep 21st 2008, 04:21 AM
Re Truth:

Jesus declared that He is the truth. So our only question must be: Is He lying?

zombieCat
Sep 21st 2008, 05:05 AM
Re Truth:

Jesus declared that He is the truth. So our only question must be: Is He lying?This is circular reasoning...we know the Bible to be true because in the Bible Jesus said so. While this is a good argument for someone who already believes the Bible to be true, it's completely inadequate for non-believers.

SIG
Sep 21st 2008, 08:26 AM
Then I would again direct the skeptic to the reliabilty of the record, and to fulfilled prophecies.

Fighting Instinct
Sep 22nd 2008, 03:59 AM
This is circular reasoning...we know the Bible to be true because in the Bible Jesus said so. While this is a good argument for someone who already believes the Bible to be true, it's completely inadequate for non-believers.
Wow. It is eerie how much we think alike when it comes to this subject. Were we separated at birth? LOL

zombieCat
Sep 22nd 2008, 05:46 AM
Wow. It is eerie how much we think alike when it comes to this subject. Were we separated at birth? LOLWe just might have been :) I've come to a point where I don't accept pat answers. I truly believe that God makes sense, and that viable answers are there for people who are truly seeking.

SIG
Sep 24th 2008, 02:01 AM
This is circular reasoning...we know the Bible to be true because in the Bible Jesus said so. While this is a good argument for someone who already believes the Bible to be true, it's completely inadequate for non-believers.

Logically, this seems correct. But in point of fact, it is essential. If that unbeliever sets out on an honest quest to answer that question, using Scripture, they will come to the conclusion that the Bible is true.

zombieCat
Sep 24th 2008, 12:58 PM
Logically, this seems correct. But in point of fact, it is essential. If that unbeliever sets out on an honest quest to answer that question, using Scripture, they will come to the conclusion that the Bible is true.Using the current popular interpretations on some issues, I'm not so sure they would. For example, in light of scientific discoveries, virtually every non-Christian I know would not be able to accept Genesis as something more than allegorical. This isn't the thread for debating whether it is or isn't, I'm just using that as one example where current interpretation of scripture would be a stumbling block for a true seeker.

Emanate
Sep 24th 2008, 01:07 PM

That is funny. I once witnessed a Christian man try to convince that an Orthodox Jewish man that the OT law was done away with using the writings of Paul. The man kept referring to Paul's writings for almost an hour after the Jewish man said he did not believe in the NT. It was kind of like watching a train wreck.

Emanate
Sep 24th 2008, 01:08 PM
Logically, this seems correct. But in point of fact, it is essential. If that unbeliever sets out on an honest quest to answer that question, using Scripture, they will come to the conclusion that the Bible is true.

Sadly, that is not always the case.

SIG
Sep 25th 2008, 11:28 PM
Sadly, that is not always the case.

I should have said, "may come to the conclusion..."

Certainly they will find compelling evidence.

Often skeptics have not actually looked at Scripture--or have taken only a cursory glance. Sincere study is likely to produce other results...