PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else applying to college?

SirTanTee
Sep 18th 2008, 11:47 PM
Are there any other seniors in high school applying to colleges this fall? I've got so many essays to write it's killing me.

Luke34
Sep 22nd 2008, 06:40 PM
Umm...I did last year. I don't recall spending too much time on the essays, since my admission mostly depended on auditions. I only applied to four schools, though, so I guess that's part of it (I know someone who applied to like sixteen, except most of them were Ivy-League or equivalent so he only got into like two).

SirTanTee
Sep 22nd 2008, 10:41 PM
Ah...lucky duck. I'm applying to eleven, and they all have about two required essays each, so....a lot of essays. :thumbsdn: Some of them are pretty tough to get into, though, so overall I'm glad that I've got a good number laid out.

Luke34
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:46 AM
Some of them are pretty tough to get into, though, so overall I'm glad that I've got a good number laid out. Any I would know of?

CoffeeCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:03 AM
Just out of curiousity, what sort of essay do you need to write? Personal opinion piece? Research? Comparison essay? Position paper? None of the above?

BrckBrln
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:49 AM
Ugh, smart people. :cool: ;)

SirTanTee
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:18 AM
Any I would know of?

Maybe. I'm applying to Amherst, William & Mary, Wellesley, University of Virginia, Smith, Dartmouth, Duke. And Kenyon and Grinnell, but I'm slightly scared of those two because they're in cornfields in Ohio. :P I have never been remotely near a cornfield in my life and the prospect is slightly strange.

Just out of curiousity, what sort of essay do you need to write? Personal opinion piece? Research? Comparison essay? Position paper? None of the above?

A mix. Some of them are personal opinions, a ton of them are "why do you want to attend school xyz," and there are some random ones which ask you to respond to quotes or write anything fascinating about yourself. Then there are some completely weird ones...I still have to decide how to answer this one: "If you had a rock and a chisel, what would you carve?" Err, golly....

Luke34
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:46 AM
Maybe. I'm applying to Amherst, William & Mary, Wellesley, University of Virginia, Smith, Dartmouth, Duke. And Kenyon and Grinnell, but I'm slightly scared of those two because they're in cornfields in Ohio. I have never been remotely near a cornfield in my life and the prospect is slightly strange. Wow, that's quite a list (I'm not sure about Smith and Kenyon, but I definitely know of the rest. I also know two people at Grinnell, which is in Iowa, as I'm sure you know and just made a typo which I am now bothering to mention for some reason). Good luck.