PDA

View Full Version : got to preview fireproof

cnw
Sep 19th 2008, 02:58 AM
very good movie. the first few lines were very staged and I was very worried it would stink, but the movie is really worth promoting. I hope you all will check into seeing it and inviting people too. Just bring tissue...lots of it and you will also laugh like crazy.
It was so God ordained. We got to talk to one of the guys from the church who put it out and it was really a blessing.
My dh and I were bawling all over each other...don't tell him I told you...I am sure there wasn't a dry eye in the place.

FaithfulSheep
Sep 19th 2008, 03:07 AM
Great!! I have been looking forward to seeing it. :)

thestarofthesea
Sep 19th 2008, 03:35 AM
What is "fireproof"? I've never heard of it.

TrustingFollower
Sep 19th 2008, 04:05 AM
I really enjoyed "Facing The Giants" and am looking forward to seeing this new one.

Luke34
Sep 19th 2008, 04:12 AM
I can't say that this looks good in any way.

cnw
Sep 19th 2008, 09:34 PM
It is from the people who made facing the giants. The guy who does the makeup for the sets was a dollar store manager who before he got saved used to do all the top Hollywood actors makeup...it is just one of the stories we were told about how God blessed the church who did these movies. Every single actor and actress was a volenteer...not one got paid even Kirk Cameron. All the money goes toward the next movie and a huge Christian sports park in Georgia. Plus just the whole Gospel is given in these movies in a way people will listen.

Luke I would say that anyone who is truely a believer would want to promote this because it is moral, and gives the plan of Salvation in a clean and wholesome setting which is both funny and tearjerking. It is about marriages, and families who see the need to heal. If you are against marriages crumbling, this is a movie to promote the covenant that they are.

No this is not a movie that has sex in it, or loanguage, or horror. If you are looking for those things in a movie you wont get them in this movie because the church that puts this movie out wants truely Godly wholesome movies. It is not cheaply made.

I know the guys who do liberal reviews will give this movie a poor review because anything that promotes something good is lambasted by the media. The truth is it is all about saving marriages and family relationships, and ya know none of us wants to see our marriages or family ties being crushed. We don't throw a party because we failed. We throw the party when we go through the fire and come out on the other side victorious and keep it all together.

http://www.fireproofthemovie.com/_newsletters/radio/fireproofheader.jpg (http://www.fireproofthemovie.com/)

TrustingFollower
Sep 19th 2008, 10:00 PM
My wife and I are already planning a family outing to see this one in the theater. I hope it is as good as you say and as good as Facing the Giants was. I also like the fact that the intentions behind making these movies are to spread the gospel. For that reason we go and see them at the theater and to support good Christian movies like this. The turn out at the theaters surprised Hollywood last time.

thestarofthesea
Sep 20th 2008, 12:23 AM
Aww, I just watched the trailer. It looks really sweet and nice. It shows the weekend my parents come up to visit me at school, maybe I'll take them to it. Their marriage has been nothing but fighting basically since I was born. I used to wish whole-heartedly they'd divorce because they fought constantly. It's better now, but they are tense, and my mom pretty much refers to my dad as her housemate, not her husband. I'd like to say they love each other, but I'm really not sure. Sometimes, I think they don't. Anyway, don't know why I just typed all that in here, but I guess I needed to vent so I'll leave it. Good movie, looks like. I like Kirk Cameron a lot!

stillforgiven
Sep 20th 2008, 12:27 AM
It hasn't opened here yet, but I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

Luke34
Sep 21st 2008, 01:00 AM
Luke I would say that anyone who is truely a believer would want to promote this because it is moral, and gives the plan of Salvation in a clean and wholesome setting which is both funny and tearjerking. It is about marriages, and families who see the need to heal. If you are against marriages crumbling, this is a movie to promote the covenant that they are. If it actually is funny, or earns its tear-jerking, great. The trailer does not look as though it would: It looks like a cheap, boring, sentimental, audience-manipulative tearjerker. Good intentions about marriage or whatever doesn't make it good art. I won't say anything more, though, because I haven't seen it and am unlikely to.

And no, I don't go to movies looking for sex, horror, and language. The presence or lack thereof of these things doesn't affect whether I like the movie or not; that's why I loved both Superbad and WALL-E.

I know the guys who do liberal reviews will give this movie a poor review because anything that promotes something good is lambasted by the media. And any time it gets a bad review, everyone will be all "LIBERAL MEDIA!" instead of considering that it may actually not be a good work of cinema.

the inside out
Sep 21st 2008, 03:56 PM
And any time it gets a bad review, everyone will be all "LIBERAL MEDIA!" instead of considering that it may actually not be a good work of cinema.

THANK YOU!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!

I don't go see Christian films unless I'm bored. The only reason I saw, "The Ultimate Gift" was because a guy at my church was an executive producer and the film was dedicated to my friend's late brother. I'll wait for the "liberal reviews" before I see this movie because they usually know what they're talking about.

Christian filmmakers spend so much time pushing the message that they forget everything else. I go to the movies for the whole package, not the message. I could care less about the message. I want to see a work of art. I don't do cheap and this film looks cheap.

thestarofthesea
Sep 21st 2008, 05:26 PM
Good point, Luke34!!

I find it so frustrating that anything, even themost constructive criticism, that goes against the Christian mainstream is labelled "liberal". Sometimes, it's just that the subject matter comes across as uninspiring, tedious or dull.

cnw
Sep 22nd 2008, 11:24 PM
sometimes the posts on this whole board seem pretty much liberal themselves.
The Passion got horrible reviews and it was art.
Facing the Giants got bad reviews because of its Christian viewpoint.
I also don't like bad movies...that is why I don't see most movies. But I do like to live by Christs moral views and most of the movies out today do not promote holiness or anything righteous.

This movie was made for a people that need a savior and who want entertainment. Did you see Mona lisa Smile??? Art...who are the they who says its art??? anyone who has an opinion.
If the Godly people don't have an opinion, then Godly art stinks because that is what the liberal agenda says.

karenoka27
Sep 22nd 2008, 11:54 PM
I already own a copy of FlyWheel and Facing the Giants. I'll be adding this one as it comes out. I watched the making of Fire Proof on tv last night. What a blessing from God for these people to do what they are doing. It is so amazing.

cnw
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:21 AM
I haven't seen flywheel. I would like to see it as a comparison.

Luke34
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:42 AM
The Passion got horrible reviews and it was art. It got mixed reviews--as a matter of fact, I believe it has exactly a 50% on RT. And it's giving films an unfair advantage to say they're only disliked because of their religious viewpoint--that means any bad review can be dismissed with "They're just liberal atheists trying to put down Christians," even if the movie is objectively terrible. (For the record, I don't think The Passion is necessarily "terrible," but I do think it's not very good and also vastly overrated.)

Facing the Giants got bad reviews because of its Christian viewpoint. How can you possibly know that? I haven't seen Facing the Giants, but it honestly looks like nothing more than another terrible saccharine sports movie with a heavy-handed "Christian" theme tacked on. It's fine to have a different opinion than most critics/people, but complaining that they just didn't like it because it was too moral sounds childish.

I also don't like bad movies...that is why I don't see most movies. But I do like to live by Christs moral views and most of the movies out today do not promote holiness or anything righteous. Again, that doesn't mean that anything released with the intention of "having good moral views" will be any good. It has to succeed on its own; it doesn't get any points for trying. Good intentions are nice, but they don't make good cinema.

If the Godly people don't have an opinion, then Godly art stinks because that is what the liberal agenda says. I don't really know what this is supposed to mean, but it sounds like you're casting artistic criticism as some kind of culture war in which Christians have to like all Christian art across the board, regardless of quality. Of course, by asking what makes something good art we get into the whole "Is artistic quality ob- or subjective?" question (I happen to believe that some art is objectively good and some is objectively bad. Just my opinion, of course, but recognizing that it's an opinion doesn't mean I have to be any less certain about being right). But it's ridiculous to say that "Christian films" get bad reviews because they mean ol' movie critics are just biased, instead of that not many of them look all that good. (That means Christian-themed films marketed as such, of course; many films in other genres contain Christian symbolism or themes (such as Children of Men, which I just saw last night and which is incredibly awesome).)

the inside out
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:29 AM
I also don't like bad movies...that is why I don't see most movies. But I do like to live by Christs moral views and most of the movies out today do not promote holiness or anything righteous.

This movie was made for a people that need a savior and who want entertainment. Did you see Mona lisa Smile??? Art...who are the they who says its art??? anyone who has an opinion.
If the Godly people don't have an opinion, then Godly art stinks because that is what the liberal agenda says.

Facing the Giants got bad reviews because it was terribly written, the acting was mediocre, and it was cheap looking. If the writing, aesthetics, and the direction is awful, the message is lost.

such as Children of Men, which I just saw last night and which is incredibly awesome

The camera work in that film is AMAZING!!!

TrustingFollower
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:52 AM
Facing the Giants got bad reviews because it was terribly written, the acting was mediocre, and it was cheap looking. If the writing, aesthetics, and the direction is awful, the message is lost.
I thought Facing the Giants just the opposite of the way you just described here. If you didn't like it then don't go to the new one coming out, but don't bash it and try discourage other Christians or even non-believers form going to see it. If the movie is the difference between even one soul being in heaven verses hell then it is worth promoting. None of us know what little spark will turn a particular person Jesus.

the inside out
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:27 AM
I thought Facing the Giants just the opposite of the way you just described here. If you didn't like it then don't go to the new one coming out, but don't bash it and try discourage other Christians or even non-believers form going to see it. If the movie is the difference between even one soul being in heaven verses hell then it is worth promoting. None of us know what little spark will turn a particular person Jesus.
I never said, "Don't go see it..." I'm just saying what it is. It's a poorly made film. Therefore, it got bad reviews.

Luke34
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:36 AM
The camera work in that film is AMAZING!!! I don't even usually notice things like that, and I was going "...Hey...they haven't cut for like five minutes." Also it had the best soundtrack in existence.

TrustingFollower
Sep 23rd 2008, 04:02 AM
I never said, "Don't go see it..." I'm just saying what it is. It's a poorly made film. Therefore, it got bad reviews.
Well then obviously I must have simple tastes then because I did not think it was a poorly made film. I thought it was a well made film.

the inside out
Sep 23rd 2008, 01:12 PM
I don't even usually notice things like that, and I was going "...Hey...they haven't cut for like five minutes." Also it had the best soundtrack in existence.
I've been taught to notice it, it's the curse of studying film. You notice every little thing.

cnw
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:50 PM
oh ya, lets promote children of men
PROFANITY 10 - 58 F-words, 5 sexual references, 21 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 7 mild obscenities, name-calling (fascist pig), 12 religious exclamations
not to mention nudity.

when we are so submersed in the sexualization and profanity of our culture...you bet we can't see the good in a movie that does not have the draw. You said it was Godly under tones....It really must have been subtle Christian themes...what did they wear a cross around their neck.
sorry for the sarcasm, but truely, promoting a movie that you couldn't bring Jesus too...
oh wait:hmm:

Luke34
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:39 PM
oh ya, lets promote children of men
PROFANITY 10 - 58 F-words, 5 sexual references, 21 scatological terms, 2 anatomical terms, 7 mild obscenities, name-calling (fascist pig), 12 religious exclamations...And so your argument is that strong language automatically makes this film worse than a weepy football drama? Language has nothing to do with the quality of a film, or with its morals. People--many people, even most--tend to use strong language in intense situations, and Children of Men contains some of the most intense situations imaginable. (Also, "fascist pig" is not meant as an insult within the film.)

not to mention nudity. The nudity in this film is devoid of all sexual context. I hardly think I need to mention that not all images of the human body are meant to arouse prurient interest, and the (brief) ones in CoM certainly are not.

You said it was Godly under tones....It really must have been subtle Christian themes...what did they wear a cross around their neck. Actually, the film's Christian imagery is not really that subtle; every reasonably attentive person should immediately notice it upon first viewing. (The film (**SPOILERS**) is set in a post-apocalyptic world where everywhere but Britain has been basically wiped out and Britain itself is torn apart by violence, poverty and fascism. Part of the result of the apocalypse (we never learn the exact reason) was that all women on earth became infertile and have remained so in the eighteen years preceding the movie. The protagonist's job is to transport a young pregnant woman to the Human Project, which is attempting to restore fertility. (**MAJOR SPOILERS**) After this first child in eighteen years is born, the protagonist and the mother have to carry it out of a building and through a street where far-left rebels are engaged in a firefight with the fascist government. When the soldiers and rebels see the child, they each shout to their sides to cease firing, and look at the baby in awe and reverence as the firefight stops. I mean, it's a baby that is to bring about the salvation of the human race. I don't see how much more obvious it can get. (As at least one review notes, the characters are at least partially aware of the similarity; one of them makes a lighthearted remark about it.) Also such things as: The protagonist first discovers the pregnancy in a barn.)

Jeanne D
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:16 PM
I loved "Facing the Giants" .. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

Jeanne:)

TrustingFollower
Sep 23rd 2008, 10:16 PM
I won't say anything more, though, because I haven't seen it and am unlikely to.

...And so your argument is that strong language automatically makes this film worse than a weepy football drama?
You seem to have quite a bit to say about a movie you admitted you have never seen. I would appreciate it if you would either see the movies in question or keep your criticism to yourself as to not discourage the work from spreading the gospel to those that will be reached by these movies.

Lyndie
Sep 23rd 2008, 10:59 PM
I think people are missing the supply/demand issue of this movie thing. I buy/rent christian movies for the sole reason they are christian. Yes, some are sappy, some are poorly written, bad acting, etc. But I do it because if we start putting out a demand for them, the bigger movie distributors will see it, and perhaps then they would be more willing to look at a christian movie script, taking on a movie which would then have a bigger budget, hence creating a better movie all around.
However, just because a movie has a big budget doesn't make it great either, there are many components that go into it. But the money is a big issue, and does help.

BrckBrln
Sep 24th 2008, 12:07 AM
But I do it because if we start putting out a demand for them, the bigger movie distributors will see it, and perhaps then they would be more willing to look at a christian movie script, taking on a movie which would then have a bigger budget, hence creating a better movie all around.

I would highly doubt it. Instead of a Christian movie all those big distributors have to do is make a movie filled with sex and torture and that movie will make more than some good natured Christian movie.

However every now and then you will get a good big budget movie with Christian themes like Evan Almighty. I loved that movie.

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 12:38 AM
You seem to have quite a bit to say about a movie you admitted you have never seen. I would appreciate it if you would either see the movies in question or keep your criticism to yourself as to not discourage the work from spreading the gospel to those that will be reached by these movies.I admit I probably shouldn't criticize films before I see them, but I cannot imagine a universe in which something that looks like Facing the Giants would turn out to be good. Same for things like Disaster Movie: Technically, no, I shouldn't criticize if I haven't seen them, but I don't really feel like I need to.

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 12:40 AM
However every now and then you will get a good big budget movie with Christian themes like Evan Almighty. I loved that movie. I didn't like Evan Almighty so much. It was easily the least good thing I've ever seen that had Steve Carell in it (including Bruce Almighty, in which Carell's character was a lot funnier).

EaglesWINGS911
Sep 24th 2008, 12:55 AM

:agree::thumbsup:

Rebelnote
Sep 24th 2008, 04:39 PM
I probably won't see it, and it's kind of a weird reason. I don't know why, but I find Kirk Cameron really obnoxious.

Oregongrown
Sep 24th 2008, 07:27 PM
very good movie. the first few lines were very staged and I was very worried it would stink, but the movie is really worth promoting. I hope you all will check into seeing it and inviting people too. Just bring tissue...lots of it and you will also laugh like crazy.
It was so God ordained. We got to talk to one of the guys from the church who put it out and it was really a blessing.
My dh and I were bawling all over each other...don't tell him I told you...I am sure there wasn't a dry eye in the place.

I've seen it advertised and now I know where Im using the free "movie" tickets I got when I opened my bank account:) I am so glad God's people are stepping up to the plate. I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks and God has changed me so, that I am even shocked at the "worldly" garbage that is on the big screen as well as our tv's. Just when you think it can't get worse, it does. Praise God for our christian actors/actresses, and bands!!!

God bless, ysic, denise:pray: keep those God-cameras rollin!!!!

cdo
Sep 24th 2008, 11:28 PM
:rolleyes: Despite the "negative" response :rolleyes:
I am looking forward to this movie and will go as soon as it opens in my area.As yet I can not comment on my opinion to this movie.But,I will afterwards...God willing.I just can't imagine in my heart that this movie would be one to not see. We need all ways of spreading the Gospel. :pp

cnw
Sep 25th 2008, 01:35 AM
I probably won't see it, and it's kind of a weird reason. I don't know why, but I find Kirk Cameron really obnoxious.

Interestingly I was looking for a kind of obnoxious long ago attitude, but I didn't see anything obnoxious...well he is mean, but he is playing an agressive part. He is very humbled in this movie. I haven't seen anything with him in it since he got saved accept this one. I don't have a comparison except growing pains and most people here are probably too young to remember that anyway.

I realize that there are many people who just don't get it. Most put their money into movies with the worst themes. On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the worst) one of the highest money making movies scored a 10 in sexual exploitation recently. It was p*rn true to form in a movie depicted as a good film. People want the smut. But the Bible says in the last days people shall be lovers of themselves,
Jude 1 says

18How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. 19These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

Rebelnote
Sep 25th 2008, 01:55 AM
Interestingly I was looking for a kind of obnoxious long ago attitude, but I didn't see anything obnoxious...well he is mean, but he is playing an agressive part. He is very humbled in this movie.
It's not so much the movies, and the parts he's played. It's when I see him on t.v. or on a interview. He comes across to me as putting up a show. Maybe it's just his personality, but I find it annoying lol.

BrckBrln
Sep 25th 2008, 02:19 AM
On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the worst) one of the highest money making movies scored a 10 in sexual exploitation recently

What movie was it?

Luke34
Sep 25th 2008, 03:44 AM
I realize that there are many people who just don't get it. Most put their money into movies with the worst themes. On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the worst) one of the highest money making movies scored a 10 in sexual exploitation recently. It was p*rn true to form in a movie depicted as a good film.
What movie was it? I also cannot figure this out. Of the highest-grossing films of this summer, the only one I can imagine having strong sexual content is #7, Sex and the City (I didn't see it, because it looked terrible). Actually, almost all of the high-grossing films of summer 2008 were rather chaste: Three "children's" movies made the top ten (WALL-E, Kung-Fu Panda, Caspian), and the list is rounded out with four (!) superhero movies (Dark Knight, Iron Man, Hancock, Incredible Hulk), a musical (Mamma Mia), and Crystal Skull, none of which has more than minimal sexual content. So, unsurprisingly enough, it appears that the factors which draw people to films are complex, and not "HEY THIS MOVIE HAS NAKED PEOPLE IN IT."

Also, note that "heavy sexual content" and "sexual exploitation" are not the same thing.

cnw
Sep 27th 2008, 02:00 AM
Also, note that "heavy sexual content" and "sexual exploitation" are not the same thing.

what do you mean by this?

the movie was forgetting Sarah Marshall. I don't know how how good it was.

psychforchrist
Sep 28th 2008, 01:54 AM
Just saw the movie today with my wife and kids. It had a message that culture is unwilling to deal with and even the church is scared to deal with. Love is something more than pictures on a computer screen or emotional connection with another person. Jesus Christ is the complete definition of what love is and this movie makes sure the audience gets that message. My church rented out a theater and we packed it out. I hope other churches are doing this because it is a message the church needs to respond to and these movies need our support so they can continue to put them out.

Sold Out
Sep 29th 2008, 10:55 PM
Totally amazing, awesome movie. It blew me away. Everyone needs to go see this movie! It was #4 at the box office last weekend!

A neat thing about it: Kirk Cameron did an interview where he said he would not kiss anyone but his wife, so in the kissing scenes, his wife stood in as a body double! How sweet is that!

Kirk Cameron is the real deal. I am the same age as him and remember him on Growing Pains. I'm just so encouraged how he has used his life and influence to glorify Christ.

Godslittleangel
Sep 30th 2008, 01:31 AM
i am single and I saw this movie and it has influenced me. So what if the acting is cheesy (honestly, I did't thnk it was that bad, I've seen secular movies that were cheesy), the message was great and something society needs to be reminded of. It taught me about married nad what God wnats for us. I hope that I cna have a marriage where we stick to our vows, no mater how hard it gets and we have God in teh center. Some may no tlike it for whatever reason, but as someone else said, if it saes one person, than its worth it.

BrckBrln
Oct 2nd 2008, 12:17 AM
This movie actually got a positive review by the New York Times.

cnw
Oct 2nd 2008, 02:37 PM
Totally amazing, awesome movie. It blew me away. Everyone needs to go see this movie! It was #4 at the box office last weekend!

A neat thing about it: Kirk Cameron did an interview where he said he would not kiss anyone but his wife, so in the kissing scenes, his wife stood in as a body double! How sweet is that!

Kirk Cameron is the real deal. I am the same age as him and remember him on Growing Pains. I'm just so encouraged how he has used his life and influence to glorify Christ.
I couldn't find it posted where it was in the linup. thanks for posting that. I would hope others will say their reviews. I am surprised NY times gave it a good review, others have given it a 5

Luke34
Oct 2nd 2008, 05:14 PM
what do you mean by this?

the movie was forgetting Sarah Marshall. I don't know how how good it was. Oh. It was pretty good (I'd give it a 6.5 or 7/10). It definitely was not "porn," however; it was heavy on sexual humor and had a naked guy in a nonsexual situation for about five seconds of screentime, but only like maybe two scenes of actual sexuality and they were quite unexplicit. Good Luck Chuck (an unbelievably abysmal film) was a lot worse, but still not really pornography in the strict sense of that word.

Fireproof has a 50% at RT and a 28/100 at Metacritic; this means that it's getting an approximately equal number of good and bad reviews, but that the good reviews are only OK and the bad ones are really bad.

superwoman8977
Oct 2nd 2008, 06:45 PM
I am having the hardest time getting myself to see this movie. In July I went through a divorce and I so wanted my marriage to work and since my husband didnt try and fix things or whatever I have thought whats the use? I hope someone who has seen this movie can tell me that its more than just a couple trying to make their marriage work because if thats what it is I am just not in the mood although I loved Kirk Cameron when he was in Left Behind and I am sure he will be just as good in this one. :cry:

trodder
Oct 5th 2008, 06:24 AM
My wife and I along with a group of friends from church saw it last weekend and were blown away. It's an outstanding movie and a good witnessing tool and I believe can help couples and not just the ones whose marriages are in trouble. It can help keep the healthy ones on the right track.

For those who feel the need to criticize it without seeing it, or not liking it because it's not up to their standards, please say so on a secular board.

This is a good christian movie with two very positive and important messages and should be given the rightful recognition it's due on a christian board.