PDA

View Full Version : Correct Christian response to business theft done by partner

itzme
Sep 19th 2008, 01:37 PM
I would appreciate any perspective on this aspect of Christian living.

My husband and I have a business, we did the back office stuff, our business partner took care of the physical location.

Unknown to us, he was stealing us blind, running the business to the ground, not paying vendors ect.. We estimate the he is leaving us with 60k worth of unpaid invoice and theft.

This leaves us with a terrible mess to clean up. We had to tap into our savings, call all the vendors and set up payment plans, the worry, the stress. I am just about the call a charity, that we were supposed to donate 2k to and say we will give it to them next month. That hurts the most, I was almost crying last night. The charity must think we are trying to pull a fast one. I feel so bad, its just like the stealing from the dying (thats who they help, they take meals to those who are on the verge of death of aids), and the charity thinks we did it.

What should I think about the man who did this all? I do not hate him, but I am furious, I don't think much about him as a person.

Christian wise-what should I do? Forgiveness, I am not going to destroy him as I could, but I do read that we can go to someone, rebuke them and if they repent, forgive them. He is not going to repent, he is just trying to hide his misdeeds. FYI he is not Christian.

I also read that we are to be as sharp as serpents, but as gentle as doves. Meaning that we should keep our wits around us, and treat him with extreme caution, and not let him steal from us again (if he should repent). I just want him gone.

I am asking God's help so I don't go from anger to hatred.

David Taylor
Sep 19th 2008, 01:50 PM
Have you dissolved the partnership yet? Or can he still abuse and take advantage of you?

As to forgiveness; remember that repentence follows forgiveness.

If he repents, forgive him.

If he continues to abuse you, then remove yourselves from his sphere of influence. Have you considered speaking with a Christian attorney who would be familiar with these types of situations? What does your Pastor advise you?

Emanate
Sep 19th 2008, 01:54 PM
Forgiveness doesnt mean getting walked on

itzme
Sep 19th 2008, 01:57 PM
The partnership will be over today, my husband is meeting him at lunchtime along with several mutual friend to keep things on an even keel.

No matter what it will be over with him today. I don't think he will repent, he is a smooth talker, who tries to get away with things.

I think I should probably just move along, thankfully I think with God's help we are putting everything back in shape. It is a profitable business so it will decimate several months at least, but we should be able to work it out.

I am just praying to God for strength and guidance to act as he would want me to act.

itzme
Sep 19th 2008, 02:46 PM
Please pray for my husband right now will be meeting soon with ex partner. I am feeling great leading to pray for him now

Mograce2U
Sep 19th 2008, 03:30 PM
Not being unequally yoked to unbelievers applies to more than just the marital relationship. Part of forgiving him - after you have set things right in the business - is not to take vengeance upon him. Counsel from an attorney can be sought to protect yourselves, but God is able to deal with the man himself. If you are structured as a corporation that is a bit different than a partnership. The corporation is an entity unto itself, and its assets need to be recovered if possible.

Hopefully, your witness during this ordeal will heap coals on his head and he will repent. And you will have learned a good lesson too!

nleeh
Sep 19th 2008, 03:53 PM
Repentance on his part and forgiveness on your part would be good but forgiveness does not mean the criminal need not pay the consequences for his action. When people steal or harm others and there are no consequences for their bad actions, they most likely will do the same to someone else in the future. People need to be accountable for their actions, Christian or not.

Sold Out
Sep 19th 2008, 06:03 PM
FYI he is not Christian.

I also read that we are to be as sharp as serpents, but as gentle as doves. Meaning that we should keep our wits around us, and treat him with extreme caution, and not let him steal from us again (if he should repent). I just want him gone.

I am asking God's help so I don't go from anger to hatred.

If he is not a Christian, then you have every right to pursue legal action against him to recover your losses. It would not be prudent on either of your parts to continue to do ANY business with this man.

itzme
Sep 19th 2008, 06:36 PM
Thankfully the business is in our name and a LLC, so we are protected from him in some ways (not entangled legally). They are actually meeting a 4 today so please pray for us. I just want him out of our life.