PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone love their pets like children?

A820djd
Sep 19th 2008, 04:37 PM
Here is my son... Thought I'd share... I adopted him about 5 years ago when he was a stray.

http://a701.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_a6cebf18f7d91211d9ace024b9037d94.jpg

Jeanne D
Sep 19th 2008, 05:39 PM
Awww cute cat, Scottizzle!

Yes I love my dog like she's my baby. I can't help it. She will be 14 in December and I've had her since she was 6 weeks old.
She knows me as "Mommy" and my husband as "Daddy" and my sons refer to her as their sister.
Some people may think it's silly, but she brings such joy into this house and so much love. I will be heartbroken when she goes.

Jeanne

MrAnteater
Sep 19th 2008, 05:39 PM
He looks too stressed, I think he needs to rest a little. :lol:

I like animals but to say they are like children is going a little overboard. Our children are just that, our children.

Slug1
Sep 19th 2008, 05:42 PM
He looks too stressed, I think he needs to rest a little. :lol:

I like animals but to say they are like children is going a little overboard. Our children are just that, our children.Yeah, considering when our first family dog reached that point where living was to painful for her without the meds, we put her down in a neighbors back field.

So, no... a dog isn't like a child.

Jeanne D
Sep 19th 2008, 05:48 PM
Maybe the majority of men don't feel the same way about pets as women do?

Jeanne

Slug1
Sep 19th 2008, 05:54 PM

JeanneNot really, we just don't cry in the open about it :hug:

SeekingHisWill
Sep 19th 2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, considering when our first family dog reached that point where living was to painful for her without the meds, we put her down in a neighbors back field.

So, no... a dog isn't like a child.

I'm curious... you saw the title of the post - if it didn't apply to you, why did you bother posting?

For those who DO feel like their pet is their child... they surely don't want to read your post so why did you feel the need to post that? Why couldn't you have just moved on to a thread that you could identify with? :hmm:

HisLeast
Sep 19th 2008, 06:00 PM

Slugs right with the not crying part, but we love our pets as much as anyone. I went away to school when my family cat was getting older. Apparently one month she just wasted away and they put her down and forgot to even tell me until a couple weeks later. I carried that loss around for a while. She was one of those sympathetic cats that would stay with you when you were down or sick.

HisLeast
Sep 19th 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm curious... you saw the title of the post - if it didn't apply to you, why did you bother posting?

For those who DO feel like their pet is their child... they surely don't want to read your post so why did you feel the need to post that? Why couldn't you have just moved on to a thread that you could identify with? :hmm:

Uh... the post asked if people do. Seems to me one could have a yes or no answer for that. Nobody was restricting this thread to one opinion only.

Slug1
Sep 19th 2008, 06:01 PM

For those who DO feel like their pet is their child... they surely don't want to read your post so why did you feel the need to post that? Why couldn't you have just moved on to a thread that you could identify with? :hmm:Cause I'm "anyone" ;)

This is Anything Goes so let's be adult and deal with all the posts you'll find in here.

My answer is "no" cause of the reality of owning a pet that was given to me or I bought from a cage vs. raising my child that I took part in creating.

SeekingHisWill
Sep 19th 2008, 06:03 PM
Uh... the post asked if people do. Seems to me one could have a yes or no answer for that. Nobody was restricting this thread to one opinion only.

Just seems like there was no reason for such a post. But I guess that's because I don't see the point in posting just to cause a ruckus! I won't entertain this rudeness again!

lendtay
Sep 19th 2008, 06:06 PM
Hi,

I have an orange tabby and yes, I love him. I don't know if its the same kind of love I have for humans. Its a different type of relationship and hard to explain. I am expecting a baby soon, but I want to make sure my cat isn't neglected and doesn't feel left out when the baby arrives. He is a family member and we value him as such. He has his place and his role in our household.

SeekingHisWill
Sep 19th 2008, 06:06 PM
Scott, your son is adorable! Thanks for starting a post for those who love their pets like children!

Jeanne - my little girl is 15 1/2 and I've had her since she was 3 weeks old. I often say she's my little piece of heaven here on earth!

God bless animal lovers!

lbeaty1981
Sep 19th 2008, 06:22 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/lbeaty1981/lounging2.jpg

If we're going to play the "lounging pets" game, I may as well join in. :lol:

I love my dog, he's an awesome dog, but I don't treat him like a human. He eats dog food, he goes in the back yard when I go to work in the morning, and he gets disciplined when he misbehaves.

Then again, he also gets taken for several walks a day and is allowed to spend afternoons in the house if I come home for lunch. Oh yeah, and "disciplining" typically just involves saying his name in a stern voice. :mad: :lol:

Rufus_1611
Sep 19th 2008, 06:26 PM
Just seems like there was no reason for such a post. But I guess that's because I don't see the point in posting just to cause a ruckus! I won't entertain this rudeness again!

I'm glad someone shared the opposing view to this matter and, at the risk of being rude, there is something quite offensive and unnatural in equating beasts to human children.

Ashley274
Sep 20th 2008, 01:36 AM
Scott I have and do..I have a dog ..I use to have cats too.....I love your kitty he is adorable kind of a tubby tabby :lol::lol: but mega cute....I am jealous :hug:

HisLeast
Sep 20th 2008, 03:15 AM

So, I don't understand... the thread was open to everyone, but only those with a similar opinion "have reason" to post?

I know you don't have a long posting history here, so I'll let you in on some forum experience. Slug1 is as patient and level headed a man as has ever posted on an internet forum. He doesn't post "to cause a ruckus", and there's a near limitless posting history that attests to this fact. His calm demeanor is why he's burdened forum moderation duties. The level of respect he's earned has few peers here.

Perhaps, before accusing him of rudeness, you can see his post for what it was: calm, rational disagreement.

Vhayes
Sep 20th 2008, 03:27 AM
Cool pets! Thanks for sharing the photos.

My husband and I have two Irish Wolfhounds who were litter mates (Dempsey & Daisey) and three cats (Addidas, Clyde Tolson and as of this week, Kipling) . We love them dearly because they add another dimension to our lives.

Do I love them as I love our children? No. But I certainly do love them. They are a responsibility that we have gladly accepted. They will never grow up and move away and will be dependent on us throughout their lives. In exchange, they give comfort when someone is feeling down or ill and they all display a fierce loyalty, to us and to each other.

Good thread, Scott. Thanks for starting it!
V

A820djd
Sep 20th 2008, 04:28 AM
Cause I'm "anyone" ;)

This is Anything Goes so let's be adult and deal with all the posts you'll find in here.

My answer is "no" cause of the reality of owning a pet that was given to me or I bought from a cage vs. raising my child that I took part in creating.

Whew, rough if you had an adopted child then?

OneTime
Sep 20th 2008, 06:37 AM

Because the way we treat our animals in America has gone too far. In one generation they've gone from an outdoor companion that could come and go (which is natural) to our "children". It enters into idolization in a lot of cases (not saying this about any of you) To compare and animal to a human child is, well, it's a LOT of things.

I watch where people have $10,000 cancer surgeries for their dogs, or spend $250.00 a month for medications or whatever, and there are HUMAN children starving to death.

So beyond that, I LOVE animals, and thank God for them. Just please realize, for those of us who have children, and know what it's like to have our heart run around outside of our bodies all day, to see God's face in their eyes, and all the pains and joys that go with that, it's somewhat blashphemous to say that a person could possibly love their pet like a child. Very degrading and shows where we are as a society when we could even fathom that something like that could be anywhere near possible.

OneTime
Sep 20th 2008, 06:38 AM
BTW, is there a spell check around here? And please forgive my grammer in the above post.

OneTime
Sep 20th 2008, 06:40 AM

He asked a question, he's getting answers, what's the problem? Most likely our brother's just gonna learn that his verbage was wrong, which is cool, cuz I;m sure his heart's in the right place.

I just read your post, you're really not going to like my response.

OneTime
Sep 20th 2008, 06:42 AM
Scott, your son is adorable! Thanks for starting a post for those who love their pets like children!

Jeanne - my little girl is 15 1/2 and I've had her since she was 3 weeks old. I often say she's my little piece of heaven here on earth!

God bless animal lovers!

:B

I take it you've never had a real child??

moonglow
Sep 20th 2008, 03:39 PM
So, I don't understand... the thread was open to everyone, but only those with a similar opinion "have reason" to post?

I know you don't have a long posting history here, so I'll let you in on some forum experience. Slug1 is as patient and level headed a man as has ever posted on an internet forum. He doesn't post "to cause a ruckus", and there's a near limitless posting history that attests to this fact. His calm demeanor is why he's burdened forum moderation duties. The level of respect he's earned has few peers here.

Perhaps, before accusing him of rudeness, you can see his post for what it was: calm, rational disagreement.

Which testifies to why he got to Amin status...;)

I love my pets and I view them as being similar in behavior to little toddlers that never grow up...though physically they grow older. Yes they are part of our family and I mourn terribly when we lose one...I am very big on having them put down with an injection in the leg...painless as possible...I cringe at the idea of shooting them, gassing them and so forth to 'put them out of their misery'...I couldn't image doing such a thing to one of them! But I also know not everyone views animals the way I do.

BUT...while I grieve a loss of one...honestly I am only sad for a short while...which is nothing compared to the loss of a child. If I lost my son I would be completely crushed! I honestly don't know if I could go on at all (if he died as a child is what I mean). I would be in deep terrible pains for months and months...possibly years! Having lost family member this kind of pain is so much more intense and goes on much much longer and you never completely feel better...you know what I mean? While at times I miss some of those pets I have lost over the years...I can function...I can sleep at night and I can go on. Sure I cry...and yes its hard...but its not the same.

I think part of the reason I got over, if you want to put it that way, losing a pet quicker is I have others. If I had just one and lost them I image it would take me longer...but still there is just no comparing the loss of a pet to a child. Yes we can baby them...because they act like babies! And yes they are important to us...but there is just really no comparing them to a human child.

When my mom and her husband lost their last cat...they really missed him and the house was empty for them. They are retired and home alot...though active in the community and its just nice having a pet. So eventually they got another cat. Then a few years later found a dumped kitten and brought him home. Now they are constantly entertained watching these two play with each other.

Image losing a child then 'getting another one' just to feel better??? You can't ever replace that lost child..

God bless

Sunflower
Sep 20th 2008, 03:42 PM
Awwwww...how cute. I have a cat, she was the runt and the only survivor out of the litter, the rest died of worms. I remember when my sister brought her to me, she was a sickly little thing, so I prayed over her. God healed her, and she has been with me for about five years. Sometimes she can be very mischevious like a child and sweet like a child. My husband who swore off cats even loves her even though he constantly denies it, :lol:

Sunflower
Sep 20th 2008, 04:06 PM
I am going say one more thing, I have read some of these replies on the board and felt bothered by some of the insensitivity. Somehow a warm and fuzzy thread has turned serious. I look at it this way, there are people out there that cannot have children and having a pet is way to fill that void. I used to work with this lady who had a miscarriage really late in her pregnancy and couldn't have no more children because of complications, a few months after, her in-laws gave her a chiuaua puppy, and it helped her cope. Also having a pet can be somewhat of a child until you have one of your own. I don't have any kids yet and I see my cat as my dependent for now. I believe God use animals to help us through loneliness and crisis. I know animals cannot take the place of a human, but they are God's little creatures too :D

moonglow
Sep 20th 2008, 04:13 PM
I am going say one more thing, I have read some of these replies on the board and felt bothered by some of the insensitivity. Somehow a warm and fuzzy thread has turned serious. I look at it this way, there are people out there that cannot have children and having a pet is way to fill that void. I used to work with this lady who had a miscarriage really late in her pregnancy and couldn't have no more children because of complications, a few months after, her in-laws gave her a chiuaua puppy, and it helped her cope. Also having a pet can be somewhat of a child until you have one of your own. I don't have any kids yet and I see my cat as my dependent for now. I believe God use animals to help us through loneliness and crisis. I know animals cannot take the place of a human, but they are God's little creatures too :D

Very true! And more studies show how therapeutic animals help those in nursing homes and autistic children...plus helping the blind and disabled. They use to use dogs in wars too and even dolphins in helping finding bombs under water. Animals and people can and have benefited each other in great ways all through history!

When I was single and had no children I had dogs that were very much 'like' my children and they were spoiled rotten. Took then alot with me fishing in Wyoming and had alot of wonderful memories of camping, hiking and fly fishing with them. Took them everywhere with me in fact! On hot days I would take them when I ran errands and lock them in the running car with the air on...always had an extra key with me. They loved going to the bank to get dog treats...:lol:

But now that I have a child of my own...that is just a whole different thing. I know how they can fill in that empty place though for those who are childless or have lost a child...while it helps, its not quite the same...but they can help.

God bless

OneTime
Sep 20th 2008, 05:32 PM

This is a serious subject, so while the words that I spoke, and I can only speak for myself here, may sound harsh, they are not. Affection and touch are so important to human health, spiritual too, and animals fill a role that often times would otherwise be empty. I have four young children, and I have also had pets, all of whom I have lost, mostly in horrible ways. And there is no comparison.

The question was "does anyone love their animals like children"? Not "does anyone feel super blessed to have pets in their lives" or "isn't God good to give us these wonderful pets"? There is a morbid obsession with animals in our culture, and if for some reason the truth about this comes off as "insensitive" then we have to ask, "are thee words truth" & "why do they hurt"?

To call an animal (and again OP, I'm not judging your situation here as I don't know) "my son" or "my daughter" and MEAN it shows a clear disconnet with reality. I have met several, and I mean several people who worship their animals, who say things like "my children mean as much to me as yours do to you" and other non-sense. I don't take it personally, but as Christians, we need to walk in the Light of truth and wisdom. Is it wise to hold our animals up in such a way?

Lines such as "they are God's little creatures too" seems to imply that human children, created in the image of God Himself, destined to reign with Him and share in the guidence of all of creation, who carry eternal souls, are something of the same creation as animals.

Someday, sadly, my wife and I will have an empty nest, and we WILL have animals to fill the void. Those pets will mean a great deal to us, and I am already thanking God in advancefor them, but they are not our children, and we need to stand on the Truth, with love.

There is no such thing as "animal children".

Sunflower
Sep 20th 2008, 10:09 PM
This is a serious subject, so while the words that I spoke, and I can only speak for myself here, may sound harsh, they are not. Affection and touch are so important to human health, spiritual too, and animals fill a role that often times would otherwise be empty. I have four young children, and I have also had pets, all of whom I have lost, mostly in horrible ways. And there is no comparison.

The question was "does anyone love their animals like children"? Not "does anyone feel super blessed to have pets in their lives" or "isn't God good to give us these wonderful pets"? There is a morbid obsession with animals in our culture, and if for some reason the truth about this comes off as "insensitive" then we have to ask, "are thee words truth" & "why do they hurt"?

To call an animal (and again OP, I'm not judging your situation here as I don't know) "my son" or "my daughter" and MEAN it shows a clear disconnet with reality. I have met several, and I mean several people who worship their animals, who say things like "my children mean as much to me as yours do to you" and other non-sense. I don't take it personally, but as Christians, we need to walk in the Light of truth and wisdom. Is it wise to hold our animals up in such a way?

Lines such as "they are God's little creatures too" seems to imply that human children, created in the image of God Himself, destined to reign with Him and share in the guidence of all of creation, who carry eternal souls, are something of the same creation as animals.

Someday, sadly, my wife and I will have an empty nest, and we WILL have animals to fill the void. Those pets will mean a great deal to us, and I am already thanking God in advancefor them, but they are not our children, and we need to stand on the Truth, with love.

There is no such thing as "animal children".

Okay, when I used the line as "God's little creatures too," I was meaning as God's creation as a whole. God created creatures and God created man, by no means was I distorting the line between being an human and animal. I am pretty sure that when God created animals he created them with love and purpose. God is love. They go with this Earth. It is evident that God loves us more than the animals because we are a part of him, yes I know people take it to the extreme with their pets, but in times, God blesses people with a pet to help them through tough times. When the original threader called his cat his son, I thought it was humorous because the title went with the picture, not so serious.

OneTime
Sep 21st 2008, 01:25 AM
Okay, so you're one of the sane animal lovers out there. There are many who've crossed the line, and aren't coming back. One of the many militants I've met actually argued the validity of their "animals and children are the same thing" with the "we're all God's creation and are equally valuable" argument. And I've heard it more than once. It's a hugely growing trend, with money and other resourced for animals (shelters and the such) actually raising more money in several communities then women's shelters. I have an article on it in my files.

When we give more money to unwanted animals than to beaten women and their children, it's an interesting sign.

Again, animals are great, but a million animals doesn't even come close to equaling one human.

Peace.

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 02:32 AM
I love my cat, and I have NO problem in saying that I very willingly play the "anthropomorphize" (attributing human form or personality to a non-human) game! :lol: It's fun. And to me, it comes naturally. I "know" my cat is NOT a baby.... but absolutely nothing stops me from calling her "love", "my sweet girl" or "baby" or "kitten" even though she's 7 and a half years old! She lives with my mother, and you'd better believe that she knows her as "mommy". When my mother calls out to the cat, "Bedtime! Come to bed with mommy?" that cat's running up the stairs lickety-split and hopping on the bed for cuddles. :lol: And I'll find myself talking to our cat... "Hey sweet girl, whatcha doin'? Were you good today?" (as though she could answer!)

Now, we KNOW she isn't a "baby". We don't consider her a "child", and I've NEVER called her my "sister".... she's just CALLED our "baby". It's a sweet term of endearment, and one I'm not ashamed of at all. :) If two women can't use cute, "baby" terms in their own house and take comfort from the fact that they've got an adorable "furry family member" to love, if they can't have a little fun and take some joy out of sharing love with an animal.... that'd be a shame. Because it's entertainment to the purest, cutest degree!

faroutinmt
Sep 21st 2008, 02:53 AM
I have some pets that many people would never even think of loving. I, however, enjoy caring for them. They are my pet snakes. :)

I definitely don't see them as children! lol

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 03:09 AM
Sssssssnakessss are awesssssssome! :lol:

faroutinmt
Sep 21st 2008, 03:46 AM
Sssssssnakessss are awesssssssome! :lol:

I'm sssssseriousssssly glad you think sssssssssssso. :)

A820djd
Sep 21st 2008, 04:10 AM
I love my cat, and I have NO problem in saying that I very willingly play the "anthropomorphize" (attributing human form or personality to a non-human) game! :lol: It's fun. And to me, it comes naturally. I "know" my cat is NOT a baby.... but absolutely nothing stops me from calling her "love", "my sweet girl" or "baby" or "kitten" even though she's 7 and a half years old! She lives with my mother, and you'd better believe that she knows her as "mommy". When my mother calls out to the cat, "Bedtime! Come to bed with mommy?" that cat's running up the stairs lickety-split and hopping on the bed for cuddles. :lol: And I'll find myself talking to our cat... "Hey sweet girl, whatcha doin'? Were you good today?" (as though she could answer!)

Now, we KNOW she isn't a "baby". We don't consider her a "child", and I've NEVER called her my "sister".... she's just CALLED our "baby". It's a sweet term of endearment, and one I'm not ashamed of at all. :) If two women can't use cute, "baby" terms in their own house and take comfort from the fact that they've got an adorable "furry family member" to love, if they can't have a little fun and take some joy out of sharing love with an animal.... that'd be a shame. Because it's entertainment to the purest, cutest degree!

x2..... 15chars

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 04:21 AM
:lol: Scottizzle, in English I'm guessing that means "me too"? ;)

IMINXTC
Sep 21st 2008, 04:24 AM
Hey, even 6ft long Iguanas (Ziggy) need love. Ziggy's long gone now. (truth be known, I don't want him back):)

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 04:32 AM
Hmmm... quite the name... Ziggy the Iggy. :lol:

Soulangel
Sep 22nd 2008, 03:15 AM
Coffee Cat, I'm with you all the way x 2 very darling pussy cats.........:lol: What joy and laughter they bring with their antics and love and affection!! However the three big kids in the house are the best huggers in the world!!! Couldn't live without them!!:hug::hug::hug::hug: Soulangel