PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Best Ways to Witness?

thestarofthesea
Sep 20th 2008, 12:31 AM
In your opinion, what is the best way to witness to non-believers? There's a poll but detailed answers would be really great as well. Also - I know a lot of people probably use more than one tactic, but just choose the poll answer that describes what you do most or best. :)

Ashley274
Sep 20th 2008, 01:05 AM
Hi :) I put something else because to me it depends on the relationship you have with them already...I go slow with people I know..ease into a convo...then watch for any tension ..if I feel it I lighten it up and go back to it at another time...Like small doses ....To people I don't know....if I know they are not believers I try to be at my best so I show Christ within me...asking them to church would be good too..I don't think I would hit strangers up with a bunch of scripture...I always pray for them..:pray::hug:

zombieCat
Sep 20th 2008, 01:20 AM
Something else: Let your life speak for itself, and when conversation naturally creates an opening to share something relevant and useful, do so.

thestarofthesea
Sep 20th 2008, 01:48 AM
Those are really good answers!

SirTanTee
Sep 20th 2008, 03:15 AM
I think the best way is to lead by example. For example, my main form is witnessing is through a local Christian youth charity that I founded and currently manage. We raise education money for local underprivileged children to help them afford school supplies, private school fees and college tuition. The program has really blossomed; in three years we have raised around $29,000 which is being split between six young students. A lot of students at my school are interested in joining even if they are not Christian, so that is how we get a lot of them involved. Then we invite them to other church charity projects and fun events to try to get them involved and interested.

Esperanza32
Sep 20th 2008, 01:38 PM
I try to reflect Christ in the way I live. I have non-Christian friends, but it is no secret to them that I'm a Christian. When it's appropriate, I freely discuss my faith with them, tell them I'm praying for them, talk about my church or what I'm reading in the Bible, etc--not to push Christ down their throat, but because we're friends and those are the kinds of things friends talk about. They love me and I love them, and when God gives me opportunities to share him more deeply, I try to take them.

I've found that if I ask God for opportunities to share my faith, he gives them to me.

Gospel-Witness
Sep 20th 2008, 04:59 PM
In your opinion, what is the best way to witness to non-believers? There's a poll but detailed answers would be really great as well. Also - I know a lot of people probably use more than one tactic, but just choose the poll answer that describes what you do most or best. :)

"The best sermon is one that is lived, not preached."

I read this on the sign in front of a small Baptist church once, and it makes me think the same about witnessing....it works when we live it. Merely saying things to others is not nearly as effective as demonstrating it firsthand.

Just a thought...

apothanein kerdos
Sep 20th 2008, 05:05 PM
There's many aspects to witnessing. Without going into too much detail:

1) Living the life - in some ways, our lives are to be the best evidence of the existence of God. If our lives don't reflect the Gospel, what we say doesn't matter.

2) Speak from the heart - how many of us had to take a class on how to talk to people about our life or about our favorite football team? How many of us need to be coached on social interaction? If Christ is supreme in your life then you should speak about Him to people when the opportunity arises.

3) Don't rush it - build a relationship with the person. Don't expect them to "turn or burn" at that moment. It could take days, weeks, months, or even years. Just take your time and deal with their problems as they arise.

4) Don't argue with them - debate has its place in apologetic discussions and as pre-evangelism, but apologetics isn't evangelism. Apologetics deals with the intellect and the intellect alone. Though the intellect is necessary in conversion, it isn't sufficient. One also needs the heart involved, which is what the Gospel brings.

Kalan
Sep 20th 2008, 05:55 PM
Me voted "other", me lives me belief. Me never begins to tell about Jesus, peoples always ask me, if me will tell about Him doing in me life. But me isn't telling others what they should do... Me only tells the way me wants to live, and why. Me thinks other peoples can choose for themselves. First no one over here wanted something to do with Jesus, now they're christians themselves. Me is very thankful for that, cauzz me knows Jesus was the One Who did it.

Mmmhh... me talks to much yes?

pastor_chris
Sep 20th 2008, 11:18 PM
Most of the time, I have conversations with strangers, yet often they are the ones that have started it.

I am careful to pay attention to the promptings of the Holy Spirit to "go stand next to" as he prompted Phillip do to with the eunuch.

Those are often the most fruitfull conversations, when I make myself available and put myself in position. . .

Chris.

the inside out
Sep 21st 2008, 04:13 PM
::goes back to her pre-Christ days::

What's the best way to reach me? Be My Friend. Get to know me. Gain My Trust. Demonstrate the love of God to me by taking intrest in my life. Spend Time With Me. Illustrate the relationship we're supposed to have with God by building one. Love Me. And when I come to Christ...teach me.

A year ago, so one said they loved me and it still rings in my head.

Sold Out
Sep 21st 2008, 04:34 PM
The best way to witness? With words.

No one in the bible EVER relationship evangelized.

"For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:10

crawfish
Sep 22nd 2008, 09:00 PM
1. Pray.
2. Live the example.
3. Share your testimony.
4. Be open to the opportunities God places in your way.

Bethany67
Sep 28th 2008, 01:04 PM
Putting on my ex-witch hat:

- Don't treat me like an enemy. Take the time to get to know me; you have to earn the right to be listened to by me. If you're a stranger accosting me aggressively (thinks of one hideous example), I am going to call the police on you, especially if you do it on a lonely railway platform, and you're a guy and I'm a gal. I was scared of him because he was a ranting hyperventilating nutter; he was scared of me because I was wearing a pentagram and minding my own business.

1of7000
Sep 29th 2008, 12:11 AM
along those lines it's time for a quick cliche. "they don't care how much you know till they know how much you care"

apothanein kerdos
Sep 29th 2008, 01:17 AM
The best way to witness? With words.

No one in the bible EVER relationship evangelized.

"For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:10

Mainly because people in the Bible had a different culture where everyone believed there was an ultimate truth, thus a relationship was not necessarily needed in all cases.

Marc B
Sep 30th 2008, 03:20 AM
There is no one right way to do it, depends on circumstances. Like most folks here said being a living example works best since it shows you mean what you say. When you do get an opportunity to witness to them they see your faith in action and know you're not just paying lip service.

MidnightsPaleGlow
Oct 1st 2008, 11:21 AM
Inviting people to church is my current method. I recently joined a new church that has an active soul-winning program, and all of this month, every Sunday, we're hosting family-friendly activities and have been knocking on doors inviting people to come. We distributed over 30 tracts/invitations last night and are doing another round tonight.

ServantofTruth
Oct 1st 2008, 02:30 PM
About half an hour ago, the delivery company dropped off 10,000 tracts i ordered off an English web site (i'll post it again if people are interested), with my own money. 3,000 are Christmas tracts, 3,000 Easter tracts, 4 * 1,000 each, lottery, 2 tv shows and the news. So you can guess how i voted.

But we need lots of approaches and positive action. I know too many churches doing either nothing, a newsletter 3 times a year or a week's mission every 10 years. We need to be out there every week in what ever way, we as individuals feel comfortable.

Why wait www.birminghamgospeloutreach.co.uk (http://www.birminghamgospeloutreach.co.uk) If you are in the UK or not, check it out! SofTy. :pray:

Doing nothing is not a biblical option.

Izdaari
Oct 7th 2008, 08:11 AM
There's many aspects to witnessing. Without going into too much detail:

1) Living the life - in some ways, our lives are to be the best evidence of the existence of God. If our lives don't reflect the Gospel, what we say doesn't matter.

2) Speak from the heart - how many of us had to take a class on how to talk to people about our life or about our favorite football team? How many of us need to be coached on social interaction? If Christ is supreme in your life then you should speak about Him to people when the opportunity arises.

3) Don't rush it - build a relationship with the person. Don't expect them to "turn or burn" at that moment. It could take days, weeks, months, or even years. Just take your time and deal with their problems as they arise.

4) Don't argue with them - debate has its place in apologetic discussions and as pre-evangelism, but apologetics isn't evangelism. Apologetics deals with the intellect and the intellect alone. Though the intellect is necessary in conversion, it isn't sufficient. One also needs the heart involved, which is what the Gospel brings.
I think this is all excellent advice! :thumbsup:

So far as the poll, I think it would be better as multiple choice, because why would anyone limit themselves to just one method?

daughter
Oct 9th 2008, 06:03 PM
Putting on my ex-witch hat:

- Don't treat me like an enemy. Take the time to get to know me; you have to earn the right to be listened to by me. If you're a stranger accosting me aggressively (thinks of one hideous example), I am going to call the police on you, especially if you do it on a lonely railway platform, and you're a guy and I'm a gal. I was scared of him because he was a ranting hyperventilating nutter; he was scared of me because I was wearing a pentagram and minding my own business.
My husband was once beaten up by the Jesus army. That's how NOT to evangelise. It's amazing that he ever came to faith... come to that, it's amazing you did Bethany... I remember one time in Liverpool an "evangelist" yelling that I was a "whore" because I walked past him while pushing a pram with a baby in it. "You unmarried mothers are going to burn in hell unless you repent, Liverpool is full of welfare whores like this one... Jesus loves you anyway, but you must repent..."

Not rhetoric's finest hour, I must admit...

(Oh, I was married at that time to the boy's father, who was a student at the university, so the guy was way off track with his accusation.)

jponb
Oct 9th 2008, 07:33 PM
Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Living the life that you speak about is one of the best ways, if not the best, to evangelize.

NewInHim
Oct 9th 2008, 11:08 PM
I mostly try to witness by living it out in front of people. Many of my friends and family can see a difference in me, so that is a strong witness. I am not good at being direct about Christ to non-believers. I mean, I can say "this is what God did for me", but I am less likely to use Jesus' name, and I rarely, if ever say "YOU need Christ." I get scared. I have pleaded with my neighbor, and I do lead her in Bible study with me. I believe God gave me courage for her specifically, and that I live here just to reach her. I have shared my testimony online on a message board where I have grown "close" to many women who are mostly non-believers, and I am open about my own faith there. But I do not exhort anyone to believe. I pray for them. I hope that someday I will be more bold in my words. A friend helped recently when she reminded/educated me that it is not my responsibility or ability to CONVINCE people to believe, I only have to TELL them and let God do the work. That took a lot of the pressure off and makes me feel like I can be more bold.

MyRock
Oct 10th 2008, 07:34 AM
My husband was once beaten up by the Jesus army. That's how NOT to evangelise. It's amazing that he ever came to faith... come to that, it's amazing you did Bethany... I remember one time in Liverpool an "evangelist" yelling that I was a "whore" because I walked past him while pushing a pram with a baby in it. "You unmarried mothers are going to burn in hell unless you repent, Liverpool is full of welfare whores like this one... Jesus loves you anyway, but you must repent..."

Not rhetoric's finest hour, I must admit...

(Oh, I was married at that time to the boy's father, who was a student at the university, so the guy was way off track with his accusation.)
(Bold mine)

Goodness me, people like this really anger me! (hopefully righteous anger)
Talk about judging someone without knowing anything about them.
What a party in heaven for those people who come to Him dispite these "evangelism" tactics.
Praise God for you daughter and Bethany. There is hope for other people accused or harrassed!

With regards to me I vary it depending on who I'm with. I tell friends what I'm up to. (normally involves church so it's a good lead in)
I try to disern when the time is right to pull back and leave it for another time. I have many christian chats over coffee. I like that!

Blessings one and all!