PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Living

moltenflower
Sep 20th 2008, 03:30 AM
Hi Everyone!

It's great to be back! I've had the hardest time logging on but the administrators finally helped me so I'm back :pp

I've got a question for any of you that live in Oregon and would greatly appreciate any help you can give me: What's Grants Pass, Oregon like? The reason I ask is because my family and extended family finally have the opportunity to move out of California and are looking to move to Oregon where it's cheaper :hmm:

Thanks in advance for help :)

Cloudwalker
Sep 20th 2008, 03:49 PM
I've never been there but used to have a friend that always talked about Grants Pass and wanting to live there. From what he said it is a very beautiful place.

moltenflower
Sep 20th 2008, 06:22 PM
I hear it's beautiful too. I'm wondering how expensive it is there and what the drug scene is like =/ I've heard from a friend of mine whose wife's family used to live around there that Grants Pass was a small town with a huge drug problem. I hope not though.

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 20th 2008, 07:25 PM
It is supposed to be beautiful.

I live in a beautiful area, also, that is similiar to Grants' Pass. It seems that the beautiful areas really draw in New Age types and people that use drugs, etc.

We have some real tree-huggers here :) And, those that are...well...:o

moltenflower
Sep 20th 2008, 11:27 PM
It is supposed to be beautiful.

I live in a beautiful area, also, that is similiar to Grants' Pass. It seems that the beautiful areas really draw in New Age types and people that use drugs, etc.

We have some real tree-huggers here :) And, those that are...well...:o

:rofl: I see that you're in Northern California, so am I. I used to live in Truckee, which I greatly miss. We had the same problem up there too with the New Age types moving in. That was hard for those of us locals who liked our little town just the way it was :)

My family and I are looking into Grants Pass for it's small town atmosphere, beauty, and price. We're hoping to get a piece of land big enough for a multi-family dwelling.

I'm excited...I'm just trying to gather real facts :)

I hope that what I hear from people who have moved there from California no longer is true...that Oregonians hate Californians :confused

chivalrous
Sep 21st 2008, 12:31 AM
In 1994 Oregon became the first and only state to legalize euthanasia.

They are still the only state to do so.

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 21st 2008, 06:18 PM
:rofl: I see that you're in Northern California, so am I. I used to live in Truckee, which I greatly miss. We had the same problem up there too with the New Age types moving in. That was hard for those of us locals who liked our little town just the way it was :)

My family and I are looking into Grants Pass for it's small town atmosphere, beauty, and price. We're hoping to get a piece of land big enough for a multi-family dwelling.

I'm excited...I'm just trying to gather real facts :)

I hope that what I hear from people who have moved there from California no longer is true...that Oregonians hate Californians :confused

lol......! shhhh...don't tell anyone...I live in Grass Valley :P Most of the time I have lived in Nevada City while in Nevada County....You talk about tree huggers...I can spot them a mile away...they have that dazed look in their eyes :rofl:

Methinks the Truckee river is sooo georgeous! Have you ever done the raft thing down into River Ranch :) The Rogue River could not be as beautiful as the Truckee river.

I love it up there...in the summer....

Are prices up there (Oregon) alot cheaper?

wheatbread
Sep 22nd 2008, 12:26 AM
Grants Pass region is beautiful without doubt.
Housing and costs of living all along the I-5 corridor of Oregon are quite high. This is contributed to the large numbers of Californians who have moved north, and is also the reason they are still not very appreciated in the Northwest.
Oregon does still allow Dr. assisted life termination for terminally diagnosed patients.
Oregon does have a huge meth and drug problem, so much so that any recyclable material is highly at risk for theft.
Medicinal Marijuana is legal.
Oregon does not have a state sales tax however income and property taxes are among the highest in the nation.
Most "Small towns" have been enveloped by the sprawling suburbs due to the influx of so many looking for the same things you mention. I suppose it depends on your idea of "small town".
Natives are still generally very friendly but it is still not uncommon to see posters, bumper stickers and even billboards with the slogan "Californians go home, Oregon is full"

moltenflower
Sep 22nd 2008, 07:29 PM
In 1994 Oregon became the first and only state to legalize euthanasia.

They are still the only state to do so.

That's interesting. I had no idea.

moltenflower
Sep 22nd 2008, 07:34 PM
lol......! shhhh...don't tell anyone...I live in Grass Valley :P Most of the time I have lived in Nevada City while in Nevada County....You talk about tree huggers...I can spot them a mile away...they have that dazed look in their eyes :rofl:

Methinks the Truckee river is sooo georgeous! Have you ever done the raft thing down into River Ranch :) The Rogue River could not be as beautiful as the Truckee river.

Anything is cheaper than the Tahoe area it seems. We had to move down to Woodland (by Davis) this past March and miss Truckee so much. I was born and raised in Woodland but have never liked it there. I prefer smaller towns and mountains :)

Grass Valley is beautiful! A few of my friends wanted to move there; two of them just moved to Nevada City from Truckee. They're so happy!

Truckee River is beautiful...no doubt about it. I never went rafting though on it; I was always to busy working (had too take in as many jobs through my business as I could especially after my husband's 3rd heart attack last year).

The Rogue River they say is beautiful as well. A friend of mine said that the river by Klamath Falls was beautiful too. I don't know if that's the Rogue but he said that it reminded him of Truckee back in the day when Truckee was a lumber town--much smaller.

What's the weather like today up in the foothills? Down here, it's beautiful! Indian Summer is one of my favorite seasons!! :bounce:

moltenflower
Sep 22nd 2008, 07:36 PM

Forgot to answer the gas price question...sorry. The gas prices up in Oregon seem (via gasbuddy.com) to be comparable to Woodland or Reno. Truckee runs about .50 cents more per gallon than Woodland and places in Reno. Many of us (Truckee locals) bought our gas at Gold Ranch or Reno. I have a diesel Suburban and it just killed me buying diesel in Truckee!

moltenflower
Sep 22nd 2008, 07:46 PM
Grants Pass region is beautiful without doubt.
Housing and costs of living all along the I-5 corridor of Oregon are quite high. This is contributed to the large numbers of Californians who have moved north, and is also the reason they are still not very appreciated in the Northwest.
Oregon does still allow Dr. assisted life termination for terminally diagnosed patients.
Oregon does have a huge meth and drug problem, so much so that any recyclable material is highly at risk for theft.
Medicinal Marijuana is legal.
Oregon does not have a state sales tax however income and property taxes are among the highest in the nation.
Most "Small towns" have been enveloped by the sprawling suburbs due to the influx of so many looking for the same things you mention. I suppose it depends on your idea of "small town".
Natives are still generally very friendly but it is still not uncommon to see posters, bumper stickers and even billboards with the slogan "Californians go home, Oregon is full"

Wow! Thank you, Wheatbread, for this information.

You know, I do understand how they must feel about us moving in and driving prices up. We've experienced that too here in Woodland, as well as, Truckee.

Everyone moves in to small towns trying to bring their "big city" views and regulations with them trying to change small towns. It's frowned upon by the locals naturally as we shouldn't have to fight to keep our small town ways (quiet, friendly, cheaper, safer) the same. It still happens though. And, truth be told, most of them move to small towns in order to raise their children in a safer environment. I can understand that as I'm a Mom myself :)

I hope that if and when God allows us to move (hopefully to Oregon), we will find at least a few people there who are welcoming. With God's favor on our move, I can see it happening no other way.

It will be so nice to have enough land to relax on and a big enough place where a multi-family can dwell (my parents along with my husband and children). That will be so nice!

It will be nice to live around wildlife again and have the freedom to feel like it's safe for my kids to drive to walk around town if they want too.

I look forward to sitting on a front porch with my Mom and having our iced tea or coffee together :)

Thank you so much again, Wheatbread :hug: I appreciate your candor :)

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 22nd 2008, 08:50 PM
What's the weather like today up in the foothills? Down here, it's beautiful! Indian Summer is one of my favorite seasons!! :bounce:

Oh, the past few days the weather has been absolutlely perfect!! Beautiful.

I have fruit trees and yesterday I went on the property and picked apples from one of my trees. The early fall sun felt so wonderful. This morning, I pruned roses at the church enjoying church bells pealing and, again the sun felt so good.

I love Indian Summer, also! It is the best time to go to the coast. Fog blows out to sea with the north winds.

I am in a hugh transition period myself and thinking of moving to the central coast next year. I might be able to afford a pup tent :rofl:

wheatbread
Sep 22nd 2008, 08:58 PM
Wow! Thank you, Wheatbread, for this information.

You know, I do understand how they must feel about us moving in and driving prices up. We've experienced that too here in Woodland, as well as, Truckee.

Everyone moves in to small towns trying to bring their "big city" views and regulations with them trying to change small towns. It's frowned upon by the locals naturally as we shouldn't have to fight to keep our small town ways (quiet, friendly, cheaper, safer) the same. It still happens though. And, truth be told, most of them move to small towns in order to raise their children in a safer environment. I can understand that as I'm a Mom myself :)

I hope that if and when God allows us to move (hopefully to Oregon), we will find at least a few people there who are welcoming. With God's favor on our move, I can see it happening no other way.

It will be so nice to have enough land to relax on and a big enough place where a multi-family can dwell (my parents along with my husband and children). That will be so nice!

It will be nice to live around wildlife again and have the freedom to feel like it's safe for my kids to drive to walk around town if they want too.

I look forward to sitting on a front porch with my Mom and having our iced tea or coffee together :)

Thank you so much again, Wheatbread :hug: I appreciate your candor :)

It sounds as though you might want to take a look at eastern Oregon. There truly is small town living to be found there and little signs of future intrusion.
I am not sure what your financial means are but if they are modest and self sufficient, I think you will find much more of what you describe east of the cascades rather than west.
Eastern Oregon also has 4 seasons instead of the two west of the Cascades, Summer and Rain which lasts from October to June ;)

Regardless, best of luck to you and your family.

moltenflower
Sep 22nd 2008, 09:56 PM
Oh, the past few days the weather has been absolutlely perfect!! Beautiful.

I have fruit trees and yesterday I went on the property and picked apples from one of my trees. The early fall sun felt so wonderful. This morning, I pruned roses at the church enjoying church bells pealing and, again the sun felt so good.

I love Indian Summer, also! It is the best time to go to the coast. Fog blows out to sea with the north winds.

I am in a hugh transition period myself and thinking of moving to the central coast next year. I might be able to afford a pup tent :rofl:

LOL...you're too funny!! :rofl: Property is so incredibly expensive--even now!!

Sounds beautiful up there though in your neck of the woods.

I agree with you on the coast thing. I was thinking of Brookings, Oregon myself but my parents are more interested in the Grants Pass area. And, where they go, we all go ;) Thank The Lord for them though!! If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have a place to live (I don't bring in enough money yet on my own to cover the medical expenses, as well as, all of the living expenses). Thank You, Jesus!

moltenflower
Sep 22nd 2008, 09:59 PM
It sounds as though you might want to take a look at eastern Oregon. There truly is small town living to be found there and little signs of future intrusion.
I am not sure what your financial means are but if they are modest and self sufficient, I think you will find much more of what you describe east of the cascades rather than west.
Eastern Oregon also has 4 seasons instead of the two west of the Cascades, Summer and Rain which lasts from October to June ;)

Sounds beautiful! Unfortunately though, we have to be close to I-5 for medical reasons. I know that Medford is a bigger town with a hospital and of course, there's always Portland. We need to be no more than 15 minutes out for the ambulances though. I guess there's always life flight?

The four seasons always sounds great however :D

Thank you, Wheatbread :) God bless you :)

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 22nd 2008, 10:49 PM

Ya didn't tell her how cold it gets :) I have a relative that used to live in Bend...:P

cnw
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:32 AM
My parents and in-laws still own houses in Grants Pass, if you need a small place to rent for a while let me know. I lived in Rogue River and the scenery is beautiful. My friends dad owned the biggest crop of Marijuana in the 80's in the US and my sisters science teacher had a meth lab at her house if that tells you anything.
Grants Pass is very nice, but filling up and the schools aren't that great. a bit farther south is Ashland and it is very college town with good snow skiing. Farther West is cave junction where the whole hippie community moved to and some great country to hunt in and hike up in the hills, and north you have small towns with little job wise till you hit some big towns.
It is like anywhere, you have the bad parts of town and the good. The Rogue is great to boat on, fish in and hunt around. There are fantastic churches and I can tell introduce you to the CEF missionaries there. Let me know, I still know many people...I miss it.

cnw
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:34 AM
oh, Medfored hospital has the best heart medicine in the US supposedly and Grants Pass has a very good hosp they just built with very good doctors. My mother and father in law have used several and they saved their lives...:)

moltenflower
Sep 26th 2008, 03:27 PM
Ya didn't tell her how cold it gets :) I have a relative that used to live in Bend...:P

I LOVE the cold! Truckee gets cold and we loved it :pp We're not big fans of the heat at all.

moltenflower
Sep 26th 2008, 03:40 PM
My parents and in-laws still own houses in Grants Pass, if you need a small place to rent for a while let me know. I lived in Rogue River and the scenery is beautiful. My friends dad owned the biggest crop of Marijuana in the 80's in the US and my sisters science teacher had a meth lab at her house if that tells you anything.
Grants Pass is very nice, but filling up and the schools aren't that great. a bit farther south is Ashland and it is very college town with good snow skiing. Farther West is cave junction where the whole hippie community moved to and some great country to hunt in and hike up in the hills, and north you have small towns with little job wise till you hit some big towns.
It is like anywhere, you have the bad parts of town and the good. The Rogue is great to boat on, fish in and hunt around. There are fantastic churches and I can tell introduce you to the CEF missionaries there. Let me know, I still know many people...I miss it.

Thank you so very much for all of the information, cnw :hug: And, thank you for the offer on the rental. It's very kind of you!

It's funny because Crescent City I understand also has a lot of drug growers over there. I have a dear friend who lives there with her family and she said that many people get into growing and selling drugs there for money because there is such a shortage of jobs. I find it sad myself but I leave it to The Lord and don't judge them. I understand that the people can't afford to leave the area to--moving-wise--to find better jobs...they're sort of stuck =/ And, for those who want to move but can't due to the housing woes, it's hard on them too. Maybe that's why some in Grants Pass sell and grow drugs as well...because they feel they have no other choice?

The schools down here are pathetic and that's speaking kindly of them!! My daughter has a learning disability that they were never able to diagnose and would, consequently, sweep her needs under the rug like she didn't exist (when she attended public school). Oh, the arguments my husband and I had with the various public schools she went too (no matter where we went)! We pulled her out last year, as well as, my son and are homeschooling them through a wonderful Christian school who literally teaches them online. It's been a very big blessing for them! My daughter finally has methods from which she can learn and has maintained a 3.4 GPA; she was barely a 1.0 in public schools her entire scholastic life prior. My son's GPA is a 3.3 and he too had a much lower GPA in public school.

Another great thing (HUGE for me) is they're safe, there are no drugs around them being sold and they have no teachers ridiculing them for not being able to "get it" with regards to the materials they were teaching.

Ashland was a place that they were looking at.

I think they're leaning towards Rogue River (they've checked a few places out there online)/Grants Pass area for certain. Now, Dad did mention Bend because he has some friends that live there. And, for some reason, he's thinking about Eugene for the same reason.

moltenflower
Sep 26th 2008, 03:44 PM
oh, Medfored hospital has the best heart medicine in the US supposedly and Grants Pass has a very good hosp they just built with very good doctors. My mother and father in law have used several and they saved their lives...:)

Oh, awesome!!! I'll let my Dad and husband know!!! On the map, Rogue River and Grants Pass aren't that far away from Medford, if they had to go there. My in-laws said that they had a friend who lived in Grants Pass for many, many years and then retired to Hawaii. They tell me that there's also life flight up there much like they have in Alturas. If that's still true, that would give me a great peace of mind. It's scary feeling that you can't get your loved one to the hospital on time. It's happened to me three different times. By God's grace and love, He's allowed my husband to continue to live and be with us. My Dad also has a stint in his heart. Thank you for this information!

Oregongrown
Sep 26th 2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone!

It's great to be back! I've had the hardest time logging on but the administrators finally helped me so I'm back :pp

I've got a question for any of you that live in Oregon and would greatly appreciate any help you can give me: What's Grants Pass, Oregon like? The reason I ask is because my family and extended family finally have the opportunity to move out of California and are looking to move to Oregon where it's cheaper :hmm:

Thanks in advance for help :)

First, I don't think it's less expensive, it's relative. Lower rent etc here than CA but, lower wages. I live near Grants Pass, it's gorgeous and my home, Oregon that is. Born and raised in Roseburg. I now live in Sams Valley, more South. God is here though and He has provided for me:) I am poor in the "worlds" eyes:) but rich in Christ. There is more job opportunity further South than GP though. Not a lot more but again, God will provide what you need:) let me know if I can help you with anything else:)

ysic, denise:) Heres a pic of 5 miles from where I live. I live beyond the "rock" and in those hills in the background:)
http://bibleforums.org/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1802

cnw
Sep 27th 2008, 01:51 AM
Hey I have climbed that rock. That is too cool.

or hot rather....the thing about medford is it is like the desert compared to Ashland or farther north. It is so dirty to me.