PDA

View Full Version : Grain and Chaff

Gosu164
Sep 20th 2008, 02:06 PM
Hello,

Earlier this morning, I was reading third chapter of Matthew and I was puzzled by this verse.

The verse 12 said He will come ready to clean the grain, separating the good grain from the chaff. He will put the good part of the grain into his barn, but he will burn the chaff with a fire that cannot be put out.

What is chaff exactly? I even looked into the dictionary, but it didn't provide me clear picture that is relevant to that verse.

Can you please tell me about chaff?

Thanks,

Auzy

Coptichristian
Sep 20th 2008, 02:28 PM
Gosu,

The chaff consists of seed coverings and other debris. Ever peel corn? All the stuff that you peel off the corn would be like chaff. The important thing though is that we understand the symbolism of the wheat and chaff.

There is wheat and chaff in our own individual soul.

diffangle
Sep 20th 2008, 02:33 PM
The unedible/unuseful parts of the grain... iow, waste.

RogerW
Sep 20th 2008, 06:32 PM
Hello,

Earlier this morning, I was reading third chapter of Matthew and I was puzzled by this verse.

The verse 12 said He will come ready to clean the grain, separating the good grain from the chaff. He will put the good part of the grain into his barn, but he will burn the chaff with a fire that cannot be put out.

What is chaff exactly? I even looked into the dictionary, but it didn't provide me clear picture that is relevant to that verse.

Can you please tell me about chaff?

Thanks,

Auzy

Greetings Auzy,

Perhaps the following passages of Scripture will help to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Mt 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mt 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mt 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mt 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mal 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

Mt 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
Mt 13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
Mt 13:26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
Mt 13:27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
Mt 13:28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
Mt 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
Mt 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Job 21:17 How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and how oft cometh their destruction upon them! God distributeth sorrows in his anger.
Job 21:18 They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away.

Ps 1:4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Ps 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
Ps 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Lu 3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Many Blessings,
RW

Richard H
Sep 20th 2008, 07:18 PM
<snip>
Job 21:18 They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away.

Ps 1:4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Ps 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
Ps 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Lu 3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Many Blessings,
RW

Thanks Roger.

ALL good answers here.

Note of interest:
When Luke refers to the fan, it may help to understand that chaff is lighter than the actual grains. They would use a blanket to toss the grain in the air and then others would use hand fans to blow the chaff away, so that only the grain would be left.

Another note:
I heard on an audio file (perhaps even a CD) somewhere that Tares look just like the grain as they grow, but can be distinguished at harvest time, because they turn dark.

Richard

Timmo
Mar 6th 2010, 04:07 PM
Want to thank Richard H. Was reading Luke 3.17 His winnowing shovel is in His hand to clear His threshing floor and gather the wheat into His barn, but the chaff He will burn up with a fire that never goes out.” I surmised that chaff was lighter than wheat but your post made it clear :-)

theBelovedDisciple
Mar 8th 2010, 03:52 PM
'Who represents the Wheat? the good seed...

and

'Who represents the 'chaff'? the weed seeds along with all the other unusable content

the answer is found in the Word of God

Beckrl
Mar 9th 2010, 02:38 AM
Another reference to the chaff is found in Daniel 2:35

Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.

In this scene the grain [seed] has be separated from the chaff [casing] which has being freshed [beaten]on the rock [stone in this case] and the wind carries them away.