PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever ordered from ChristianBook?

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to be careful here to not post a link for these folks since they certainly take payments, but I've considered ordering some material from these folks and I wanted to know if anyone here's used them before. The website's slogan is "serving the Christian Community for 30 years", so I think they'd be fine....that and they got the BizRate 2007 circle of excellence... but I always ask people for referrals first, no matter what company I'm dealing with. So before I go ahead and place any orders, I'd love to hear from someone who's used them.

- any problems/issues making payments?
- any shipping delays/concerns?
- did you get the items (books/dvd's etc) you'd ordered?
- was the experience basically what you expected?
- would you recommend them/ do you REALLY like them?

Thanks. :)

Ayala
Sep 21st 2008, 03:40 PM
I got one of my Bibles from ChristianBook.

I had no problems with them. My shipment arrived the day it was supposed to. Everything went pretty smooth for me. So I've got no reason to not recommend them.

scourge39
Sep 21st 2008, 04:27 PM
I've purchased hundreds of dollars of merchandise from CBD and gone to several of their warehouse sales (The seminary I attended was 30 mins away from their warehouse). Now, I only buy from them if Amazon no longer has something in stock. CBD kills you on shipping. That's obviously where they make their profits. It's my biggest gripe with them. There were a few orders I placed where I actually payed more for shipping than for the physical items themselves. If you're intent on buying from them, peruse their sale items.

My suggestion: Pay the annual fee for an Amazon Prime account. Everything you buy is shipped next day and shipping & handling are Free for one year. I can't tell you how much money I've saved over the last 3 years since enrolling. You may object to going through a secular outlet, but it will definitely help you to be a better steward of your finances, especially if you like to read and buy many books annually like me.

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks, both of you. That's what I figured.... the service would be reliable but the shipping would be waaaaay up. I don't object to using secular stores at all.... I use Amazon quite a bit. Occasionally though, they won't have something specific that a specialty store might, and Christianbooks is one such store I figured I'd look into. :)

Paul_born_again
Sep 21st 2008, 05:04 PM
I've used them, twice I think, in the past. No problems whatsoever.

scourge39
Sep 21st 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks, both of you. That's what I figured.... the service would be reliable but the shipping would be waaaaay up. I don't object to using secular stores at all.... I use Amazon quite a bit. Occasionally though, they won't have something specific that a specialty store might, and Christianbooks is one such store I figured I'd look into. :)

If you're looking for specific items on Amazon, copy their ISBN numbers from CBD and paste into the advanced search engine. If they're still in print, then they should come up.

scourge39
Sep 21st 2008, 05:09 PM

If you're looking for specific items on Amazon, copy their ISBN numbers from CBD and paste them into Amazon's 'advanced search' engine under the field marked ISBN. If they're still in print, then they should come up.

karenoka27
Sep 21st 2008, 05:44 PM
When you say Christian Book do you mean Christian Book Distributor? Just curious. I buy from them all the time. I even go to the warehouse sale since I only live an hour away..awesome sales!

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 05:52 PM
Karenoka, it's christianbook.com -- is that Christian Book Distributor? Thanks.

BrckBrln
Sep 21st 2008, 07:07 PM
I've ordered there many times and I've been very happy except for the aforementioned shipping costs. I hate shipping costs. At Amazon and Barnes and Noble if you buy more than 25$ worth you get free shipping, though B&N charges tax but it's expedited shipping.

Diggindeeper
Sep 21st 2008, 07:52 PM
I order all my reading material, Christmas cards, and lots of stuff from these people. They ship very fast, and I really think the shipping costs are below other places.

I have always been satisfied in every way!

Check out their "bargain" section! Amazing deals! You won't be disappointed.

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping the shipping won't be TOO much coming to Ontario, but I'll see, because I'll give them a shot! :)

threejane
Sep 21st 2008, 09:35 PM
Another company to check into if you don't mind used books is half.com, which is an ebay affiliate.

I've gotten technical books for hubby that were in the $60 to $80 range for under ten bucks apiece.

Note: check published dates carefully, some books have been published more than once and updated in the meantime!

CoffeeCat
Sep 21st 2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks, threejane! :) Yup, those publication dates are sometimes the biggest reason you can GET a book for $5! Further updates are made and places try and get rid of old stock. For anything technical or anything to do with a critical history review/thesis, my personal rule is "don't buy anything older than 3 years". In either field, it seems to go out of date FAST. In terms of literature or philosophy, however, that's a LOT more fluid. And in some cases, timeless. :D

Lorren
Sep 21st 2008, 10:15 PM
I've ordered from them twice. They were very good. Shipped quickly, no problems. I'd order from them again :-)