PDA

View Full Version : What is prayer?

Coptichristian
Sep 22nd 2008, 05:13 PM
What is prayer? Many Christians think of prayer as a petition before God. They might pray for God to cure them and other people of illness. They might pray that they will get the job they want. They may pray for the safety of their loved ones. In short, they believe that their prayer may have the power to change or shape God's plan. Jesus, however, speaks of prayer in much different terms:

"And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil." - Luke 11:1-4 (KJV)

Thy kingdom come

Prayer is properly based on the acceptance of God's rule. To pray is yield ourselves to God and still our thoughts so that we might hear the Silent Word deep within.

Thy will be done

Jesus doesn't speak of prayer in terms of asking God to adjust His will in order to accomodate us and those we pray for. To the contrary, prayer is predicated on accepting God's eternal decree.

Even the word 'amen' is an expression of acceptance of the Truth. Let it be. It is so. So be it!

HisLeast
Sep 22nd 2008, 05:27 PM
Matthew 26:39 "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me. Yet, not as I will, but as you will."

Coptichristian
Sep 22nd 2008, 05:39 PM
Amen! So be it!

HisLeast
Sep 22nd 2008, 05:42 PM
Amen! So be it!

What I'm getting at is... is there not a supplication in that prayer?

Coptichristian
Sep 22nd 2008, 05:51 PM
Yes this supplication is overshadowed by Jesus' surrender to the Father's will. The true prayer consists in this part: "Yet, not as I will, but as you will."

Teke
Sep 22nd 2008, 08:07 PM
What is prayer? Many Christians think of prayer as a petition before God. They might pray for God to cure them and other people of illness. They might pray that they will get the job they want. They may pray for the safety of their loved ones. In short, they believe that their prayer may have the power to change or shape God's plan. Jesus, however, speaks of prayer in much different terms:

"And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil." - Luke 11:1-4 (KJV)

Thy kingdom come

Prayer is properly based on the acceptance of God's rule. To pray is yield ourselves to God and still our thoughts so that we might hear the Silent Word deep within.

Thy will be done

Jesus doesn't speak of prayer in terms of asking God to adjust His will in order to accomodate us and those we pray for. To the contrary, prayer is predicated on accepting God's eternal decree.

Even the word 'amen' is an expression of acceptance of the Truth. Let it be. It is so. So be it!

We can add to that prayer, "Lord have mercy". :)

Sold Out
Sep 22nd 2008, 08:28 PM

Thy kingdom come

Thy will be done

In Luke 11:1 the disciples asked the LORD to teach them to pray. It is interesting to note that the disciples did not ask CHRIST to teach them “a prayer” (i.e., something to recite), rather HE taught them “to pray” (i.e., to follow a pattern or blueprint on prayer).

“And it came to pass, that, as HE was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, LORD, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”

So JESUS taught them and said in Luke 11:2-13,

“And HE said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our FATHER which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from Evil. And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth. And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your HEAVENLY FATHER give the HOLY SPIRIT to them that ask him?”

JESUS taught us that prayer was nothing more than communicating with God on His level. His level, according to CHRIST, included seven areas:

1) Praise - “Hallowed be thy name”
2) Pleasure - “Thy will be done”
3) Provision - “Give us”
4) Penitence - “forgive us”
5) Protection - “lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from Evil”
6) People - “a friend of mine”
7) Power - “HEAVENLY FATHER give the HOLY SPIRIT to them that ask him”

When properly addressed, these seven areas immediately place the one who is praying on God’s level!

cdo
Sep 23rd 2008, 11:47 PM
:) Soldout !
Good answer and good post;)